|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Plantation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the author's sentence: "They were not slaves. They were people. Their condition was _______________."
(a) Eternal servitutde.
(b) Indentured servitude.
2. With whom did slave owners sometimes try to be gentle with before they bought them?
(a) Old women.
(b) Young women.
(d) Young men.
3. What is a third way early slave trades were carried out?
(a) Slave traders would drug Africans and steal them.
(b) Slave traders started fights with Africans, making bets that if the Africans lost, they would have to become slaves.
(c) African chiefs made deals with one another to trade their own tribesmen and prisoners to the white traders for goods.
(d) African chiefs were tricked into "loaning out" tribesmen as indentured servants.
4. Who said, "Judge Miller! Don't you bid for me, 'cause if you do, I would not live on your plantation. I will take a knife and cut my own throat from ear to ear before I would be owned by you."?
(b) Delicia Patterson.
(c) Alice Johnson.
5. What was the only thing the slaves were given to eat on board the slave ship?
(a) Bread and cheese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title for a poor white who was hired to watch over the slaves as they worked and ensure they weren't lazy or try to run away?
2. In Chapter 2, who was free man who was captured and put into slavery?
3. Who told the account of a man named Gabe?
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason a slave owner might sell a slave?
5. Which country introduced Africans to Europe in the early sixteenth century?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)