|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Plantation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ____________ was the practice of slave owners which resulted in more children for next generation labor and an easy way to make a profit through sales.
2. How was Frank Cooper and his sister given a taste of slavery?
(a) They were made to work on the fields for an entire day without food or drink.
(b) They had to work like a slave in the kitchens.
(c) They felt the harsh crack of the whip upon their backs from Mammy.
(d) They had to call Mammy "Master".
3. What item was used to discipline slaves?
(a) A gun.
(b) A leather thong.
(c) A whip.
(d) A pitchfork.
4. Who said, "Judge Miller! Don't you bid for me, 'cause if you do, I would not live on your plantation. I will take a knife and cut my own throat from ear to ear before I would be owned by you."?
(a) Delicia Patterson.
(b) Alice Johnson.
5. What did some drivers, like Platt, become experienced at?
(a) Handling the whip such that when he was ordered to whip a slave, he could make it look real without actually hitting the slave.
(b) Encouraging the masters to not be present during whippings so that he could fake it instead.
(c) Handling the whip so well that he could get the whipping done very quickly.
(d) Whipping the other slaves throughly but not to the point of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. The slave trading was much like today's ____________________.
2. Who said the following: "I have never seen or heard from her from that day to this. I loved her as I love my life."
3. What did the slaves call the slave owner's house?
4. What was the only thing the slaves were given to eat on board the slave ship?
5. What was the weigh-in time?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)