|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Meggie think Luke looks like?
2. What role is Father Ralph about to assume right after Meggie gives birth to her firstborn?
3. What happens between Meggie and her visitor at Matlock?
4. What happens to Patsy when he and Jims are at war?
5. What decision does Meggie make during her getaway?
Short Essay Questions
1. If the war intensifies, what members of the Cleary family are selected to enlist and why?
2. Following the end of the war, what happens with Father Ralph?
3. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
4. How do Meggie and Luke feel about her pregnancy?
5. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
6. What are Meggie's ideas about marriage?
7. What previously introduced character reappears in Chapter 17, and what is this character's story?
8. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
9. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
10. What happens to Dane after his ordination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
Essay Topic 3
Justine is an ambitious young woman with a personality very different from Dane's. Describe the differences as well as the similarities. What, looking at their family histories, contributes to the differences or similarities? Paternity is an issue as well. How does this affect the brother and sister?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)