|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke convince Meggie to do?
2. What happens to Patsy when he and Jims are at war?
3. Who does Archbishop de Bricassart encounter one evening?
4. Why does Meggie not file for divorce from Luke?
5. Who does Meggie not want to tell that she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the end of the war, what happens with Father Ralph?
2. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
3. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
4. If the war intensifies, what members of the Cleary family are selected to enlist and why?
5. What happens to Dane after his ordination?
6. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
7. What are the Cleary brothers like?
8. What are three major decisions that Luke makes, without consulting Meggie, in the first part of their marriage?
9. In the life of the Cleary family, what two major events take place on September 2, 1945?
10. What does Justine decide to do instead of attending college, and how does her family react to this news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you think is the most tragic character in the book? Why would you pick this particular character? Give examples from the book that highlight what makes this character particularly tragic.
Essay Topic 2
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)