|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait does Bob lack that Paddy had?
2. How does Dane respond to Father Ralph?
3. Who does Meggie confide the state of her marriage to?
4. Why does Meggie not file for divorce from Luke?
5. What happens between Meggie and her visitor at Matlock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Cleary brothers like?
2. What happens to the twins in New Guinea?
3. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
4. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
5. If the war intensifies, what members of the Cleary family are selected to enlist and why?
6. What does Meggie think of Luke when she is getting to know him?
7. What are Meggie's ideas about marriage?
8. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
9. How do Meggie and Luke feel about her pregnancy?
10. What previously introduced character reappears in Chapter 17, and what is this character's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are there any relationships that appear similar in this story? If so, what are the specific relationships and describe the situation and outcomes. These relationships may be between brother and sister, husband and wife, employer and employee, etc.
Essay Topic 2
You have been given the task of summarizing a character or characters from this novel in two or three paragraphs. Focusing on the character(s) of your choice, who will you write about? What will you highlight? Why did you choose the character(s) that you chose? Then summarize the character(s) you selected.
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph has all of the power in his hands as he holds Mary Carson's second will. The reader has had an opportunity to see several facets of Father Ralph's personality. Are you surprised by his decision? Is so, why? If not, why not? What leads you to think that he will make the decision that he makes? What aspects of his personality support your answer? Please be specific and thorough, using examples from the book.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)