|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke teach Meggie to do?
2. How does Luke betray Meggie for two years?
3. Who is Luke's new boss when he becomes a sugar cane cutter?
4. Where does Meggie go after her trip to Matlock?
5. What is Bob like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
2. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
3. What is the land like after the fire?
4. What are Meggie's thoughts regarding the first few days/weeks of her marriage?
5. What happens to Dane after his ordination?
6. What previously introduced character reappears in Chapter 17, and what is this character's story?
7. What does Justine decide to do instead of attending college, and how does her family react to this news?
8. What are Meggie's ideas about marriage?
9. In the life of the Cleary family, what two major events take place on September 2, 1945?
10. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
Essay Topic 2
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Carson appears to be a very shrewd woman. How does she use her intuition about the people in her circle to manipulate those same people? Select three other characters in the book and describe Mary's relationship with those characters.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)