|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke convince Meggie to do?
2. Who does Meggie confide the state of her marriage to?
3. How does Dane respond to Father Ralph?
4. Where will Meggie's wages from her housekeeping job go?
5. What does Luke want to borrow from Bob for his date to the dance with Meggie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Meggie's ideas about marriage?
2. Following the end of the war, what happens with Father Ralph?
3. What does Justine decide to do instead of attending college, and how does her family react to this news?
4. In the life of the Cleary family, what two major events take place on September 2, 1945?
5. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
6. What happens to the twins in New Guinea?
7. What are the Cleary brothers like?
8. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
9. If the war intensifies, what members of the Cleary family are selected to enlist and why?
10. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dane is Meggie's pride and joy. However, she cannot bring herself to attend his ordination. Why? What do you think of her decision? Does this put Meggie in the role of a "selfish" mother? Why or why not? How do some of her actions mirror what Fiona did when raising her family? Is her decision justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph has all of the power in his hands as he holds Mary Carson's second will. The reader has had an opportunity to see several facets of Father Ralph's personality. Are you surprised by his decision? Is so, why? If not, why not? What leads you to think that he will make the decision that he makes? What aspects of his personality support your answer? Please be specific and thorough, using examples from the book.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)