|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Meggie not want to tell that she is married?
2. Where will Meggie's wages from her housekeeping job go?
3. How does Dane respond to Father Ralph?
4. What does Luke believe he should do when they get married?
5. Why does Fiona see things from Meggie's perspective?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Cleary brothers like?
2. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
3. What are three major decisions that Luke makes, without consulting Meggie, in the first part of their marriage?
4. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
5. What are Meggie's ideas about marriage?
6. How does Meggie ensure that Luke will never question the paternity of their child?
7. Following the end of the war, what happens with Father Ralph?
8. What happens to the twins in New Guinea?
9. What previously introduced character reappears in Chapter 17, and what is this character's story?
10. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think is the most tragic character in the book? Why would you pick this particular character? Give examples from the book that highlight what makes this character particularly tragic.
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)