|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of a marriage, according to Meggie's background?
2. What does Luke teach Meggie to do?
3. Where does Meggie go for a getaway after her daughter's birth?
4. What happens to the land a week after the fire?
5. What does Luke believe he should do when they get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the life of the Cleary family, what two major events take place on September 2, 1945?
2. How does Meggie ensure that Luke will never question the paternity of their child?
3. What are the Cleary brothers like?
4. If the war intensifies, what members of the Cleary family are selected to enlist and why?
5. Following the end of the war, what happens with Father Ralph?
6. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
7. What are three major decisions that Luke makes, without consulting Meggie, in the first part of their marriage?
8. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
9. What happens to the twins in New Guinea?
10. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
Essay Topic 2
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph has all of the power in his hands as he holds Mary Carson's second will. The reader has had an opportunity to see several facets of Father Ralph's personality. Are you surprised by his decision? Is so, why? If not, why not? What leads you to think that he will make the decision that he makes? What aspects of his personality support your answer? Please be specific and thorough, using examples from the book.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)