|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Meggie stay with Luke?
2. Why does Archbishop de Bricassart disagree with the Pope?
3. Who does Meggie not want to tell that she is married?
4. How does Luke betray Meggie for two years?
5. What does Luke want to borrow from Bob for his date to the dance with Meggie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
2. What are Meggie's ideas about marriage?
3. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
4. How does Meggie ensure that Luke will never question the paternity of their child?
5. What happens to Dane after his ordination?
6. What previously introduced character reappears in Chapter 17, and what is this character's story?
7. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
8. How do Meggie and Luke feel about her pregnancy?
9. If the war intensifies, what members of the Cleary family are selected to enlist and why?
10. What are three major decisions that Luke makes, without consulting Meggie, in the first part of their marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Meggie's relationships with the following boys/men in her life:
2) Father Ralph.
Essay Topic 2
Mary Carson appears to be a very shrewd woman. How does she use her intuition about the people in her circle to manipulate those same people? Select three other characters in the book and describe Mary's relationship with those characters.
Essay Topic 3
Meggie and Father Ralph develop a relationship early in Meggie's childhood. This relationship continues to grow throughout the years, resulting in a love affair. Pick one of the following two topics to write about and use examples from the book.
1) Do you think Meggie and Father Ralph could have ever had a strong marital partnership? Justify your answer.
2) Do you view Father Ralph as leading Meggie on throughout the book? What do you think his true intentions were from the beginning? How might their relationship have been different?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)