|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke want to borrow from Bob for his date to the dance with Meggie?
2. What does Meggie tell Father Ralph in order for him to get the body sent home to Australia?
3. How does Meggie feel about Dane's career choice?
4. Which Cleary family members are allowed to be a part of this nationwide effort?
5. Who does Archbishop de Bricassart encounter one evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Ralph do when he is back in Rome?
2. In the life of the Cleary family, what two major events take place on September 2, 1945?
3. What does Justine decide to do instead of attending college, and how does her family react to this news?
4. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
5. What is the land like after the fire?
6. How do Meggie and Luke feel about her pregnancy?
7. Who is Luke O'Neill?
8. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
9. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
10. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are there any relationships that appear similar in this story? If so, what are the specific relationships and describe the situation and outcomes. These relationships may be between brother and sister, husband and wife, employer and employee, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Justine is an ambitious young woman with a personality very different from Dane's. Describe the differences as well as the similarities. What, looking at their family histories, contributes to the differences or similarities? Paternity is an issue as well. How does this affect the brother and sister?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)