|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Father Ralph elevated to at the end of the war?
2. What does Luke find for Meggie when they get to Queensland?
3. Who tries to salvage Luke and Meggie's wedding?
4. How is the relationship between Dane and Justine?
5. Why does Archbishop de Bricassart disagree with the Pope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
2. What does Father Ralph do when he is back in Rome?
3. What does Meggie think of Luke when she is getting to know him?
4. What happens to Dane after his ordination?
5. Following the end of the war, what happens with Father Ralph?
6. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
7. What does Justine decide to do instead of attending college, and how does her family react to this news?
8. How does Meggie ensure that Luke will never question the paternity of their child?
9. What are the Cleary brothers like?
10. What are Meggie's thoughts regarding the first few days/weeks of her marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
Essay Topic 2
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)