|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Father Ralph hurt when he sees Meggie's child?
2. What does Meggie tell Father Ralph in order for him to get the body sent home to Australia?
3. What also happens on September 2, 1945, besides the end of the war?
4. Why is Meggie initially attracted to Luke?
5. What does Luke teach Meggie to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Luke O'Neill?
2. What does Father Ralph do when he is back in Rome?
3. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
4. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
5. What happens to Dane after his ordination?
6. What previously introduced character reappears in Chapter 17, and what is this character's story?
7. What happens to the twins in New Guinea?
8. What are three major decisions that Luke makes, without consulting Meggie, in the first part of their marriage?
9. How do Meggie and Luke feel about her pregnancy?
10. What does Meggie think of Luke when she is getting to know him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the time the Clearys are introduced, the reader forms impressions about the family. What are your initial reactions to Fiona and Paddy? Do you see them as good, bad or just two people trying to do the best they can? How does that impression change, if it does, as the story unfolds?
Essay Topic 2
Mary Carson appears to be a very shrewd woman. How does she use her intuition about the people in her circle to manipulate those same people? Select three other characters in the book and describe Mary's relationship with those characters.
Essay Topic 3
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)