|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Meggie confide the state of her marriage to?
2. How does Luke take the news that Meggie is pregnant?
3. Where does Meggie go after her trip to Matlock?
4. What is Luke's reaction to meeting up with Meggie for a vacation?
5. Why does Fiona see things from Meggie's perspective?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
2. What does Meggie think of Luke when she is getting to know him?
3. What are the Cleary brothers like?
4. What previously introduced character reappears in Chapter 17, and what is this character's story?
5. How do Meggie and Luke feel about her pregnancy?
6. In the life of the Cleary family, what two major events take place on September 2, 1945?
7. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
8. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
9. What happens to Dane after his ordination?
10. Who is Luke O'Neill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dane is Meggie's pride and joy. However, she cannot bring herself to attend his ordination. Why? What do you think of her decision? Does this put Meggie in the role of a "selfish" mother? Why or why not? How do some of her actions mirror what Fiona did when raising her family? Is her decision justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think is the most tragic character in the book? Why would you pick this particular character? Give examples from the book that highlight what makes this character particularly tragic.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)