|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Dane want to pursue?
2. How is the relationship between Dane and Justine?
3. Who are Meggie's new employers in Queensland?
4. What trait does Bob lack that Paddy had?
5. Who does Archbishop de Bricassart encounter one evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
2. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
3. How do Meggie and Luke feel about her pregnancy?
4. How does Meggie ensure that Luke will never question the paternity of their child?
5. What is the land like after the fire?
6. What are Meggie's ideas about marriage?
7. What previously introduced character reappears in Chapter 17, and what is this character's story?
8. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
9. If the war intensifies, what members of the Cleary family are selected to enlist and why?
10. What does Father Ralph do when he is back in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Ralph has all of the power in his hands as he holds Mary Carson's second will. The reader has had an opportunity to see several facets of Father Ralph's personality. Are you surprised by his decision? Is so, why? If not, why not? What leads you to think that he will make the decision that he makes? What aspects of his personality support your answer? Please be specific and thorough, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
You have been given the task of summarizing a character or characters from this novel in two or three paragraphs. Focusing on the character(s) of your choice, who will you write about? What will you highlight? Why did you choose the character(s) that you chose? Then summarize the character(s) you selected.
Essay Topic 3
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)