|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Cleary family members are allowed to be a part of this nationwide effort?
2. What does Father Ralph's mentor find when he looks in Ralph's missal?
3. Why does Meggie stay with Luke?
4. What does Luke believe he should do when they get married?
5. How does Luke betray Meggie for two years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Ralph do when he is back in Rome?
2. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
3. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
4. What happens to the twins in New Guinea?
5. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
6. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
7. What are Meggie's thoughts regarding the first few days/weeks of her marriage?
8. What are three major decisions that Luke makes, without consulting Meggie, in the first part of their marriage?
9. If the war intensifies, what members of the Cleary family are selected to enlist and why?
10. What are the Cleary brothers like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Justine is an ambitious young woman with a personality very different from Dane's. Describe the differences as well as the similarities. What, looking at their family histories, contributes to the differences or similarities? Paternity is an issue as well. How does this affect the brother and sister?
Essay Topic 2
Meggie's children, Justine and Dane, are close growing up, but they have entirely different personalities. What does Justine's personality say about the relationship between Meggie and Justine's father? What does Dane's personality say about the relationship between Meggie and Dane's father? What is the symbolism of Dane being the perfect child and Justine being not so perfect?
Essay Topic 3
You have been given the task of summarizing a character or characters from this novel in two or three paragraphs. Focusing on the character(s) of your choice, who will you write about? What will you highlight? Why did you choose the character(s) that you chose? Then summarize the character(s) you selected.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)