|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luke take the news that Meggie is pregnant?
2. Who is Luke's new boss when he becomes a sugar cane cutter?
3. Who assumes Paddy's role as head stockman?
4. How is baby Dane different from his sister?
5. What last act of courage does Dane perform?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the twins in New Guinea?
2. Who is Luke O'Neill?
3. What are the Cleary brothers like?
4. What happens to Dane after his ordination?
5. Following the end of the war, what happens with Father Ralph?
6. What is the land like after the fire?
7. What does Justine decide to do instead of attending college, and how does her family react to this news?
8. What are Meggie's ideas about marriage?
9. How do Meggie and Luke feel about her pregnancy?
10. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Mary Carson. Why do you think she still supported Father Ralph after he would not have a sexual relationship with her?
Essay Topic 2
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)