|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fiona bring to her family?
2. What does Mary promise Paddy?
3. Where do the Cleary children attend school?
4. What location is the primary setting of this love story?
5. Who is the main character of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the family think of Paddy's disappearance?
2. What is life like for Fiona at Drogheda?
3. What happens between Frank and Paddy when they are at the Gillanbone Show and Picnic Races?
4. What does Mary Carson's new will say?
5. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
6. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
7. What is significant about Mary Carson's 72nd birthday party?
8. What makes Meggie's doll special?
9. What happens to Meggie's friendship with Teresa Annunzio?
10. Why is the romance between Meggie Cleary and Father Ralph ill-fated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Meggie's relationships with the following boys/men in her life:
2) Father Ralph.
Essay Topic 2
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think is the most tragic character in the book? Why would you pick this particular character? Give examples from the book that highlight what makes this character particularly tragic.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)