|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ralph ignore Meggie at Mary's birthday party?
2. What one thing does Drogheda not have on the premises?
3. What does Father Ralph do for everyone in the family?
4. How many brothers and sisters does Fiona have?
5. What does Frank participate in while touring the midway with Meggie and Ralph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Father Ralph's dilemma regarding Mary Carson's second will?
2. What causes disagreements between Frank and Paddy?
3. Describe Father Ralph's relationship with the Cleary family after Mary's death and the unveiling of her will.
4. What are the land and climate like?
5. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
6. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
7. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
8. Describe the head stockman's house and Drogheda in general?
9. What physically happens to Meggie that initially frightens her?
10. Describe what Meggie wears to Mary Carson's birthday party.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Carson appears to be a very shrewd woman. How does she use her intuition about the people in her circle to manipulate those same people? Select three other characters in the book and describe Mary's relationship with those characters.
Essay Topic 2
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)