|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the housekeeper tell Ralph the morning after Mary Carson's birthday party?
2. What does Frank do after he hears reports about him and Paddy?
3. What are the twins' nicknames?
4. How much older is Mary than Ralph?
5. Why does Meggie leave school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the land and climate like?
2. Why do Meggie and Stuart stop attending school?
3. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
4. What causes disagreements between Frank and Paddy?
5. What happens to Stuart during the search for Paddy?
6. What physically happens to Meggie that initially frightens her?
7. What is Father Ralph's dilemma regarding Mary Carson's second will?
8. What happens between Frank and Paddy when they are at the Gillanbone Show and Picnic Races?
9. Describe Father Ralph's relationship with the Cleary family after Mary's death and the unveiling of her will.
10. What makes Meggie's doll special?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Meggie's relationships with the following boys/men in her life:
2) Father Ralph.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
Essay Topic 3
Dane is Meggie's pride and joy. However, she cannot bring herself to attend his ordination. Why? What do you think of her decision? Does this put Meggie in the role of a "selfish" mother? Why or why not? How do some of her actions mirror what Fiona did when raising her family? Is her decision justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)