|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Drogheda known for?
2. Before returning for the funerals of Paddy and Stuart, when was the last time Father Ralph was at Drogheda?
3. Paddy and Fiona have how many sons?
4. With the exception of Meggie, what is the family's attitude toward Fiona's latest pregnancy?
5. Who does Paddy work for before his marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Father Ralph's life changed since Mary Carson died?
2. Why do the Clearys decide to move to Drogheda?
3. Since Fiona never converted to Catholicism, what aspects of a Catholic life are missing in the household?
4. What does the family think of Paddy's disappearance?
5. Why do Meggie and Stuart stop attending school?
6. What is life like for Fiona at Drogheda?
7. How does Father Ralph act more like a private citizen than a representative of the church?
8. What happens to Stuart during the search for Paddy?
9. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
10. What is significant about Mary Carson's 72nd birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Justine is an ambitious young woman with a personality very different from Dane's. Describe the differences as well as the similarities. What, looking at their family histories, contributes to the differences or similarities? Paternity is an issue as well. How does this affect the brother and sister?
Essay Topic 2
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)