|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two people or things is Ralph torn between?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Fiona have?
3. What event draws the Cleary family closer?
4. Which brother always seems to be Meggie's champion?
5. Where is Paddy when the big storm strikes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Father Ralph and Mary Carson.
2. Why does Mary Carson find it more advantageous to remain a widow and not remarry?
3. How does life change for Fiona and Meggie when they move into the main house?
4. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
5. What causes disagreements between Frank and Paddy?
6. What kind of employer is Mary Carson?
7. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
8. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
9. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
10. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several dissatisfied characters in this book who cannot seem to find contentment. On the other end of the spectrum, are there any characters that are content with their lives? Who are these characters? Describe their situations and their reactions to the events that unfold around them.
Essay Topic 2
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Carson appears to be a very shrewd woman. How does she use her intuition about the people in her circle to manipulate those same people? Select three other characters in the book and describe Mary's relationship with those characters.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)