|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Ralph owe his success to?
2. Why do Paddy and Frank have so many conflicts?
3. What is the name of the newest Cleary?
4. What does Father Ralph tell Meggie when he returns for the funerals?
5. What two people or things is Ralph torn between?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
2. What kind of employer is Mary Carson?
3. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
4. How does life change for Fiona and Meggie when they move into the main house?
5. Describe Mary Carson's relationship with her brother, Paddy.
6. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
7. Describe what happens to Hal during one of the dry winters in Chapter 6.
8. What is one emotion that Justine experiences in Chapter 19?
9. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
10. Describe what Meggie wears to Mary Carson's birthday party.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
This section contains 1,774 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)