|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ralph find Meggie at the end of Mary's birthday party?
2. Which of the following characters are Meggie's children?
3. How much older is Mary than Ralph?
4. What does Mary Carson do before the event that she plans?
5. Mary Carson is jealous of which character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
2. What happens to Stuart during the search for Paddy?
3. What happens to Frank at the district's social event?
4. What physically happens to Meggie that initially frightens her?
5. Describe Father Ralph's relationship with the Cleary family after Mary's death and the unveiling of her will.
6. What happens between Frank and Paddy when they are at the Gillanbone Show and Picnic Races?
7. How does life change for Fiona and Meggie when they move into the main house?
8. How has Father Ralph's life changed since Mary Carson died?
9. How does Father Ralph act more like a private citizen than a representative of the church?
10. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think is the most tragic character in the book? Why would you pick this particular character? Give examples from the book that highlight what makes this character particularly tragic.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)