Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Meggie's friend's family leave town?
2. Which character says that Frank is no better than the one who fathered him?
3. Who is the first person that the Cleary family meets when they arrive in Gillanbone?
4. Who asks Father Ralph to check on Frank's condition?
5. Where do they bury Hal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the land like after the fire?
2. What is life like for Fiona at Drogheda?
3. Who is Luke O'Neill?
4. What are three major decisions that Luke makes, without consulting Meggie, in the first part of their marriage?
5. Why do Luke and Meggie honeymoon and then move to Queensland after they are married?
6. What makes Meggie's doll special?
7. What does Mary Carson's new will say?
8. How does Father Ralph act more like a private citizen than a representative of the church?
9. What does Meggie think of Luke when she is getting to know him?
10. What are the land and climate like?
Essay Topic 1
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Are there any relationships that appear similar in this story? If so, what are the specific relationships and describe the situation and outcomes. These relationships may be between brother and sister, husband and wife, employer and employee, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph has all of the power in his hands as he holds Mary Carson's second will. The reader has had an opportunity to see several facets of Father Ralph's personality. Are you surprised by his decision? Is so, why? If not, why not? What leads you to think that he will make the decision that he makes? What aspects of his personality support your answer? Please be specific and thorough, using examples from the book.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)