|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paddy when the big storm strikes?
2. Why does Paddy get into an argument with Frank when they are in Gillanbone for the Show and Picnic Races?
3. Who asks Father Ralph to check on Frank's condition?
4. How frequently is mail delivered to Drogheda?
5. Why does Paddy Cleary move to New South Wales?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Meggie's doll special?
2. Describe what Meggie wears to Mary Carson's birthday party.
3. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
4. What causes disagreements between Frank and Paddy?
5. What are the land and climate like?
6. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
7. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
8. What does the family think of Paddy's disappearance?
9. Describe the relationship between Father Ralph and Mary Carson.
10. Describe the head stockman's house and Drogheda in general?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
Essay Topic 2
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
Essay Topic 3
From the time the Clearys are introduced, the reader forms impressions about the family. What are your initial reactions to Fiona and Paddy? Do you see them as good, bad or just two people trying to do the best they can? How does that impression change, if it does, as the story unfolds?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)