|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Paddy give Meggie?
2. What is one thing that Fiona never does?
3. Mary Carson is jealous of which character?
4. With the exception of Meggie, what is the family's attitude toward Fiona's latest pregnancy?
5. What is the socio-economic level of Fiona's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life change for Fiona and Meggie when they move into the main house?
2. What kind of employer is Mary Carson?
3. Describe Mary Carson's relationship with her brother, Paddy.
4. What is Father Ralph's dilemma regarding Mary Carson's second will?
5. Why do the Clearys decide to move to Drogheda?
6. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
7. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
8. What does Mary Carson's new will say?
9. Describe Father Ralph's relationship with the Cleary family after Mary's death and the unveiling of her will.
10. Describe what happens to Paddy when he goes to round up sheep during a storm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meggie's children, Justine and Dane, are close growing up, but they have entirely different personalities. What does Justine's personality say about the relationship between Meggie and Justine's father? What does Dane's personality say about the relationship between Meggie and Dane's father? What is the symbolism of Dane being the perfect child and Justine being not so perfect?
Essay Topic 2
There are several dissatisfied characters in this book who cannot seem to find contentment. On the other end of the spectrum, are there any characters that are content with their lives? Who are these characters? Describe their situations and their reactions to the events that unfold around them.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)