|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph insist that Meggie do?
2. What is the name of the newest Cleary?
3. Which of the following characters are Meggie's children?
4. What is one thing that Fiona never does?
5. What event does Mary Carson plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
2. What causes disagreements between Frank and Paddy?
3. What does Meggie do at the end of the book to help her surviving child?
4. What is the land like after the fire?
5. What is significant about Mary Carson's 72nd birthday party?
6. What happens to Frank at the district's social event?
7. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
8. What happens to Stuart during the search for Paddy?
9. Why doesn't Meggie attend Dane's ordination?
10. Who comes to visit Meggie while she is on vacation at Matlock?
Essay Topic 1
You have been given the task of summarizing a character or characters from this novel in two or three paragraphs. Focusing on the character(s) of your choice, who will you write about? What will you highlight? Why did you choose the character(s) that you chose? Then summarize the character(s) you selected.
Essay Topic 2
Justine is an ambitious young woman with a personality very different from Dane's. Describe the differences as well as the similarities. What, looking at their family histories, contributes to the differences or similarities? Paternity is an issue as well. How does this affect the brother and sister?
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)