|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Paddy's remains?
2. Which character says that Frank is no better than the one who fathered him?
3. As administrator of Mary Carson's wealth, Father Ralph does something that is unheard of. What is that?
4. What does Mary Carson do before the event that she plans?
5. What does Mary Carson have difficulty keeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some things that Meggie realizes about Luke?
2. What is significant about Mary Carson's 72nd birthday party?
3. How does life change for Fiona and Meggie when they move into the main house?
4. What major decision does Meggie make regarding her marriage and her future?
5. What happens to Stuart during the search for Paddy?
6. Why do Meggie and Stuart stop attending school?
7. What kind of employer is Mary Carson?
8. What does Mary Carson's new will say?
9. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
10. What happens to the twins in New Guinea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Ralph has all of the power in his hands as he holds Mary Carson's second will. The reader has had an opportunity to see several facets of Father Ralph's personality. Are you surprised by his decision? Is so, why? If not, why not? What leads you to think that he will make the decision that he makes? What aspects of his personality support your answer? Please be specific and thorough, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
You have been given the task of summarizing a character or characters from this novel in two or three paragraphs. Focusing on the character(s) of your choice, who will you write about? What will you highlight? Why did you choose the character(s) that you chose? Then summarize the character(s) you selected.
Essay Topic 3
Justine is an ambitious young woman with a personality very different from Dane's. Describe the differences as well as the similarities. What, looking at their family histories, contributes to the differences or similarities? Paternity is an issue as well. How does this affect the brother and sister?
This section contains 1,816 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)