|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Carson have difficulty keeping?
2. Who is the main character of this novel?
3. What occupation does the eldest Cleary son hold?
4. What does Father Ralph make Fiona promise him?
5. What does Fiona hope to do before moving into Mary's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the negative aspects for Meggie of living a clannish existence on their farm?
2. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
3. Describe what happens to Hal during one of the dry winters in Chapter 6.
4. What is life like for Fiona at Drogheda?
5. What happens to Frank at the district's social event?
6. Describe what happens to Paddy when he goes to round up sheep during a storm.
7. What is significant about Mary Carson's 72nd birthday party?
8. Why do the Clearys decide to move to Drogheda?
9. What kind of employer is Mary Carson?
10. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Drogheda is more than land and a main house. For each of the following characters, write a paragraph outlining what Drogheda means to them.
2) Father Ralph.
3) Mary Carson.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Meggie's relationships with the following boys/men in her life:
2) Father Ralph.
Essay Topic 3
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)