|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the twins' nicknames?
2. Mary Carson is jealous of which character?
3. What is the name of the newest Cleary?
4. What does Fiona's father give Paddy?
5. Why is Stuart able to leave school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the negative aspects for Meggie of living a clannish existence on their farm?
2. How does Father Ralph act more like a private citizen than a representative of the church?
3. Describe what Meggie wears to Mary Carson's birthday party.
4. Why is the romance between Meggie Cleary and Father Ralph ill-fated?
5. How has Father Ralph's life changed since Mary Carson died?
6. Describe Mary Carson's relationship with her brother, Paddy.
7. Describe Father Ralph's relationship with the Cleary family after Mary's death and the unveiling of her will.
8. What happens between Frank and Paddy when they are at the Gillanbone Show and Picnic Races?
9. What does the family think of Paddy's disappearance?
10. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What motivates the following characters?
3) Mary Carson.
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph has all of the power in his hands as he holds Mary Carson's second will. The reader has had an opportunity to see several facets of Father Ralph's personality. Are you surprised by his decision? Is so, why? If not, why not? What leads you to think that he will make the decision that he makes? What aspects of his personality support your answer? Please be specific and thorough, using examples from the book.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)