|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
2. Why is Fiona punished by her family?
3. What occupation does the eldest Cleary son hold?
4. Which character says that Frank is no better than the one who fathered him?
5. What does Frank do after he hears reports about him and Paddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
2. Describe what happens to Hal during one of the dry winters in Chapter 6.
3. Describe Mary Carson's relationship with her brother, Paddy.
4. What happens between Frank and Paddy when they are at the Gillanbone Show and Picnic Races?
5. What does the family think of Paddy's disappearance?
6. What happens to Meggie's friendship with Teresa Annunzio?
7. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
8. Why do Meggie and Stuart stop attending school?
9. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
10. Why does Mary Carson find it more advantageous to remain a widow and not remarry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Meggie and Father Ralph develop a relationship early in Meggie's childhood. This relationship continues to grow throughout the years, resulting in a love affair. Pick one of the following two topics to write about and use examples from the book.
1) Do you think Meggie and Father Ralph could have ever had a strong marital partnership? Justify your answer.
2) Do you view Father Ralph as leading Meggie on throughout the book? What do you think his true intentions were from the beginning? How might their relationship have been different?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)