|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the socio-economic level of Fiona's family?
2. When Fiona is bedridden with her latest pregnancy, who is her greatest helper?
3. What are the twins' nicknames?
4. Paddy and Fiona have how many sons?
5. Where do the Cleary children attend school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
2. What makes Meggie's doll special?
3. Describe what happens to Hal during one of the dry winters in Chapter 6.
4. How does life change for Fiona and Meggie when they move into the main house?
5. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
6. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
7. How does Father Ralph act more like a private citizen than a representative of the church?
8. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
9. What are the land and climate like?
10. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several dissatisfied characters in this book who cannot seem to find contentment. On the other end of the spectrum, are there any characters that are content with their lives? Who are these characters? Describe their situations and their reactions to the events that unfold around them.
Essay Topic 2
What motivates the following characters?
3) Mary Carson.
Essay Topic 3
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)