|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With the exception of Meggie, what is the family's attitude toward Fiona's latest pregnancy?
2. How many days does the fire burn before the rains come?
3. What does Fiona bring to her family?
4. Why is Meggie hurt at Mary's party?
5. What does the oldest son want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Carson find it more advantageous to remain a widow and not remarry?
2. What does Mary Carson's new will say?
3. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
4. Since Fiona never converted to Catholicism, what aspects of a Catholic life are missing in the household?
5. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
6. Describe the relationship between Father Ralph and Mary Carson.
7. Describe what happens to Hal during one of the dry winters in Chapter 6.
8. What kind of employer is Mary Carson?
9. What is life like for Fiona at Drogheda?
10. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Meggie's children, Justine and Dane, are close growing up, but they have entirely different personalities. What does Justine's personality say about the relationship between Meggie and Justine's father? What does Dane's personality say about the relationship between Meggie and Dane's father? What is the symbolism of Dane being the perfect child and Justine being not so perfect?
Essay Topic 3
Drogheda is more than land and a main house. For each of the following characters, write a paragraph outlining what Drogheda means to them.
2) Father Ralph.
3) Mary Carson.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)