|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
2. What does Fiona neglect to tell Meggie?
3. What is the name of the newest Cleary?
4. Why does Paddy get into an argument with Frank when they are in Gillanbone for the Show and Picnic Races?
5. What does Mary Carson do before the event that she plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes disagreements between Frank and Paddy?
2. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
3. Describe the relationship between Father Ralph and Mary Carson.
4. What does the family think of Paddy's disappearance?
5. Why is the romance between Meggie Cleary and Father Ralph ill-fated?
6. How does Father Ralph act more like a private citizen than a representative of the church?
7. What makes Meggie's doll special?
8. Describe what Meggie wears to Mary Carson's birthday party.
9. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
10. How does life change for Fiona and Meggie when they move into the main house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke and Meggie obviously have very different views of marriage. What are Meggie's views? What are Luke's views? Do they have similar views on anything regarding their marriage? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated at times. Meggie and Fiona are the only immediate female members of the Cleary family. From Meggie's 4th birthday and the incident with her new doll, the reader is able to catch glimpses of their relationship. Picking four stages of Meggie's life to analyze, what is her relationship like with Fiona at these stages?
Essay Topic 3
Mary Carson appears to be a very shrewd woman. How does she use her intuition about the people in her circle to manipulate those same people? Select three other characters in the book and describe Mary's relationship with those characters.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)