|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a gift that Ralph receives from Mary?
2. Why does Paddy get into an argument with Frank when they are in Gillanbone for the Show and Picnic Races?
3. What attacks Stuart?
4. Which character's workload increases significantly with the move to New South Wales?
5. How does Mary Carson view Ralph de Bricassart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the negative aspects for Meggie of living a clannish existence on their farm?
2. What happens to Meggie's friendship with Teresa Annunzio?
3. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
4. Why does Mary Carson find it more advantageous to remain a widow and not remarry?
5. What are the land and climate like?
6. Why is the romance between Meggie Cleary and Father Ralph ill-fated?
7. What makes Meggie's doll special?
8. Why do the Clearys decide to move to Drogheda?
9. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
10. Describe what Meggie wears to Mary Carson's birthday party.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
You have been given the task of summarizing a character or characters from this novel in two or three paragraphs. Focusing on the character(s) of your choice, who will you write about? What will you highlight? Why did you choose the character(s) that you chose? Then summarize the character(s) you selected.
Essay Topic 2
Father Ralph has all of the power in his hands as he holds Mary Carson's second will. The reader has had an opportunity to see several facets of Father Ralph's personality. Are you surprised by his decision? Is so, why? If not, why not? What leads you to think that he will make the decision that he makes? What aspects of his personality support your answer? Please be specific and thorough, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Drogheda is more than land and a main house. For each of the following characters, write a paragraph outlining what Drogheda means to them.
2) Father Ralph.
3) Mary Carson.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)