|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the housekeeper tell Ralph the morning after Mary Carson's birthday party?
2. Where does Ralph find Meggie at the end of Mary's birthday party?
3. What does the Cleary family not encounter at Drogheda?
4. How big is the check that Ralph sent Paddy?
5. What does Ralph do with Mary Carson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the head stockman's house and Drogheda in general?
2. What physically happens to Meggie that initially frightens her?
3. How does life change for Fiona and Meggie when they move into the main house?
4. What are the negative aspects for Meggie of living a clannish existence on their farm?
5. Describe Father Ralph's relationship with the Cleary family after Mary's death and the unveiling of her will.
6. What happens between Frank and Paddy when they are at the Gillanbone Show and Picnic Races?
7. What is significant about Mary Carson's 72nd birthday party?
8. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
9. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
10. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you think is the most tragic character in the book? Why would you pick this particular character? Give examples from the book that highlight what makes this character particularly tragic.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Mary Carson. Why do you think she still supported Father Ralph after he would not have a sexual relationship with her?
Essay Topic 3
Father Ralph is an ambitious man. If he had known from the beginning that Dane was his son, would the story have changed? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why? Meggie did not want to humiliate Luke, but what other reasons might she have had for keeping the truth about Dane's paternity a secret? Do you think Meggie thought it might change things or perhaps figuratively back Father Ralph into a corner? Support your answers with details from the book.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)