|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
2. Why is Stuart able to leave school?
3. How big is the check that Ralph sent Paddy?
4. What are the twins' nicknames?
5. How frequently is mail delivered to Drogheda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the head stockman's house and Drogheda in general?
2. What does the family think of Paddy's disappearance?
3. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
4. What makes Meggie's doll special?
5. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
6. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
7. What causes disagreements between Frank and Paddy?
8. Describe what happens to Hal during one of the dry winters in Chapter 6.
9. How has Father Ralph's life changed since Mary Carson died?
10. Why is the romance between Meggie Cleary and Father Ralph ill-fated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dane is Meggie's pride and joy. However, she cannot bring herself to attend his ordination. Why? What do you think of her decision? Does this put Meggie in the role of a "selfish" mother? Why or why not? How do some of her actions mirror what Fiona did when raising her family? Is her decision justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are several dissatisfied characters in this book who cannot seem to find contentment. On the other end of the spectrum, are there any characters that are content with their lives? Who are these characters? Describe their situations and their reactions to the events that unfold around them.
Essay Topic 3
Frank was obviously Fiona's favorite child as her first-born son. Describe in detail the ups and downs of Frank and Fiona's relationship from the beginning of the story. Why doesn't Fiona tell Frank from the beginning about Paddy and his father? Do you think it would have made a difference in the way Frank responded to Paddy throughout the years?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)