|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Fiona's family from?
2. What is Fiona's reaction to the news article regarding Frank?
3. What are the names of the twins that Fiona gives birth to?
4. What does Fiona neglect to tell Meggie?
5. Why does Paddy Cleary move to New South Wales?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to Paddy when he goes to round up sheep during a storm.
2. Describe Father Ralph's relationship with the Cleary family after Mary's death and the unveiling of her will.
3. What are the negative aspects for Meggie of living a clannish existence on their farm?
4. What physically happens to Meggie that initially frightens her?
5. What causes disagreements between Frank and Paddy?
6. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
7. Describe what happens to Hal during one of the dry winters in Chapter 6.
8. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
9. What are the land and climate like?
10. Why do Meggie and Stuart stop attending school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fiona and Paddy have an arranged marriage. Fiona's father, aghast at her pregnancy, pays Paddy to marry Fiona and move her away from the family. Can an arranged marriage ever be successful? Do you consider Fiona and Paddy's marriage a success? Please be specific and provide details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Dane is Meggie's pride and joy. However, she cannot bring herself to attend his ordination. Why? What do you think of her decision? Does this put Meggie in the role of a "selfish" mother? Why or why not? How do some of her actions mirror what Fiona did when raising her family? Is her decision justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Drogheda is more than land and a main house. For each of the following characters, write a paragraph outlining what Drogheda means to them.
2) Father Ralph.
3) Mary Carson.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)