|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the land a week after the fire?
(a) Rains soak the area.
(b) The burnt area withers even more in the heat.
(c) The boys chop the remaining trees down.
(d) New growth begins to appear.
2. Where do Luke and Meggie honeymoon?
(d) New Queensland.
3. Who does Archbishop de Bricassart encounter one evening?
(a) Meggie, waiting at St. Peter's.
(b) A German solder, by the name of Rainer.
(d) The Pope.
4. Which two family members are absent for Dane's ordination?
(a) Fiona and Meggie.
(b) Luke and Meggie.
(c) Bob and Fiona.
(d) Jims and Patsy.
5. What role is Father Ralph about to assume right after Meggie gives birth to her firstborn?
(a) Archbishop and Papal Legate to Australia.
(b) Confidante to the Pope.
(c) Principal of the boarding school in Gillanbone.
6. What nationwide event happens that involves the Cleary family?
(a) The Prime Minister declares war on Germany.
(b) There is an earthquake.
(c) The tax rate skyrockets.
(d) Wool and other sheep products are no longer in demand.
7. What is Justine torn between?
(a) Returning home to Drogheda or staying where she is.
(b) Her acting career and her love affair with Rainer.
(c) Telling Meggie about Rainer or keeping it a secret.
(d) The memory of her brother or carrying on with her career.
8. What position is Father Ralph elevated to at the end of the war?
(a) Cardinal in Rome.
(b) Archbishop of Wahine.
(c) The Pope's personal assistant.
(d) Cardinal in Australia.
9. What does Luke teach Meggie to do?
(a) Shear a sheep.
(d) Play horseshoes.
10. What happens between Meggie and her visitor at Matlock?
(a) They go back to the Muellers.
(b) They make love.
(c) They have a huge disagreement.
(d) They decide to go back to Drogheda together.
11. Who are Meggie's new employers in Queensland?
(a) Anne and Ludwig Mueller.
(b) Bob and Mary O'Patrick.
(c) Mitchell Jones and family.
(d) Fiona's cousins.
12. What traveling job does Luke take for six days a week?
(a) Sugar cane cutter.
(b) Sheep shearer.
(c) Traveling school teacher.
13. Where will Meggie's wages from her housekeeping job go?
(a) To support the Catholic church.
(b) To send Jims and Patsy to boarding school.
(c) To support her family at Drogheda.
(d) Straight into Luke's bank account.
14. What does Luke first invite Meggie to?
(b) A family reunion.
(c) An ice cream social.
(d) A dance.
15. What does Meggie think could be a result of kissing Luke?
(a) She might betray Father Ralph.
(b) She might disappoint her mother.
(c) She might fall in love.
(d) She might become pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meggie feel about Dane's career choice?
2. How does Luke betray Meggie for two years?
3. Who does Meggie think Luke looks like?
4. Who does Father Ralph bring news of when he goes to Drogheda for a visit after the war?
5. Why is Father Ralph hurt when he sees Meggie's child?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)