|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the climate difference between Gillanbone and Queensland?
(a) Queensland has much more rain than Gillanbone.
(b) Queensland is far hotter than Gillanbone.
(c) The climate is about the same between the two locations.
(d) There is more snowfall in Gillanbone.
2. What happens between Meggie and her visitor at Matlock?
(a) They make love.
(b) They have a huge disagreement.
(c) They decide to go back to Drogheda together.
(d) They go back to the Muellers.
3. Why does Fiona see things from Meggie's perspective?
(a) Because she takes up for her daughter.
(b) Because Luke is indifferent to the children.
(c) Because she felt the same way with Paddy.
(d) Because she doesn't want her grandchildren to leave Drogheda.
4. Why does Archbishop de Bricassart disagree with the Pope?
(a) Because the Pope will not let the Archbishop visit Drogheda.
(b) Because he feels that the Pope does not do enough to stop the war.
(c) Because the Pope wants him to leave Rome.
(d) Because the Pope wants him to ask Meggie's forgiveness.
5. What comment does Fiona make that surprises Meggie?
(a) That Dane is the image of his father, Archbishop de Bricassart.
(b) That Frank is her favorite.
(c) That she hates Drogheda.
(d) That she never really loved Paddy.
6. Where is the original location for Meggie and Luke's wedding?
(a) Mary Carson's backyard.
(c) The Holy Cross Church in Gillanbone.
7. What position is Father Ralph elevated to at the end of the war?
(a) Cardinal in Rome.
(b) Cardinal in Australia.
(c) Archbishop of Wahine.
(d) The Pope's personal assistant.
8. Who does Father Ralph bring news of when he goes to Drogheda for a visit after the war?
9. What nationwide event happens that involves the Cleary family?
(a) The Prime Minister declares war on Germany.
(b) Wool and other sheep products are no longer in demand.
(c) The tax rate skyrockets.
(d) There is an earthquake.
10. Who is Luke's new boss when he becomes a sugar cane cutter?
(a) Patrick O'Malloy.
(b) Mick Rutherford.
(c) Michael Smith.
(d) Arne Swenson.
11. What last act of courage does Dane perform?
(a) He stands up to Luke and tells him what he thinks of him.
(b) He rescues a German woman from drowning.
(c) He tells Father Ralph that he is his son.
(d) He pushes Justine out of the way of a bus.
12. What does Justine choose to do rather than attend college?
(a) Travel the world.
(b) Move to Gillanbone and live independently.
(d) Become an actress.
13. What happens to the land a week after the fire?
(a) Rains soak the area.
(b) The boys chop the remaining trees down.
(c) New growth begins to appear.
(d) The burnt area withers even more in the heat.
14. Which Cleary family members are allowed to be a part of this nationwide effort?
(c) Jims and Patsy.
15. What does Luke convince Meggie to do?
(a) Invite Father Ralph to Drogheda.
(b) Get married.
(c) Run away.
(d) Attend every Friday night dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Justine torn between?
2. How is the relationship between Dane and Justine?
3. What also happens on September 2, 1945, besides the end of the war?
4. Who is hired as a new sheep shearer?
5. Where does Meggie go for a getaway after her daughter's birth?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)