|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
(a) That he quit seeing Meggie.
(b) A kiss.
(c) That he move away.
(d) That he find Frank and bring him home.
2. Why does Paddy get into an argument with Frank when they are in Gillanbone for the Show and Picnic Races?
(a) Frank loses the boxing match.
(b) Frank does not participate in the blacksmith event.
(c) Frank is boxing.
(d) Frank loses Meggie.
3. What does Mary give Ralph the evening of her 72nd birthday party?
(a) A sealed envelope.
(b) The family Bible.
(c) The name of someone in Rome.
(d) The keys to her house.
4. What does Fiona neglect to tell Meggie?
(a) That Frank is her half-brother.
(b) What really happened to Hal.
(c) The mechanics of the female body.
(d) How to find a boyfriend.
5. The "Thorn Birds" spans three generations of what family?
6. What is Ralph's role with the Cleary family?
(a) He provides transportation to them for errands.
(b) He takes on a father role with the twins.
(c) He is more of a close family friend than a priest.
(d) He loans them money to tide them over.
7. Mary Carson is jealous of which character?
8. Which brother always seems to be Meggie's champion?
9. Why does Paddy Cleary move to New South Wales?
(a) Drogheda is promised to him upon his sister's death.
(b) Fiona's family wants her to be closer to them.
(c) Father Ralph is the best priest in that area.
(d) Mary Carson is very ill.
10. Why is Stuart able to leave school?
(a) He and Meggie fight continuously.
(b) Mary no longer wants to invest in his education.
(c) He fights with Paddy.
(d) He goes on a hunger strike.
11. What does Mary promise Paddy?
(a) That he will be an elder in the Catholic church.
(b) Her Cadillac.
(c) That he will be Ralph's assistant.
(d) That he will inherit her wealth and land.
12. Who does Mary Carson pay tuition for to attend boarding school in Gillanbone?
(a) Meggie and Stuart.
(b) Fiona and Paddy.
(c) Ralph and Jack.
(d) Hal and Frank.
13. Why does Mary Carson prefer to remain a widow?
(a) Paddy will be jealous.
(b) She cannot find anyone she loves.
(c) She will have to leave her home.
(d) If she remarries, all of her wealth becomes her husband's.
14. What does Frank participate in while touring the midway with Meggie and Ralph?
(b) Weight lifting contest.
(c) Blacksmith tournament.
(d) Pie eating contest.
15. What is the next career move for Father Ralph after the role of private secretary in Sydney?
(a) To become a bishop.
(b) To become an attendant to the Archbishop.
(c) To become the Pope.
(d) To become a priest in Sydney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Ralph owe his success to?
2. Where do the Cleary children attend school?
3. What does Fiona's father give Paddy?
4. What does Father Ralph do for everyone in the family?
5. Where is Paddy when the big storm strikes?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)