Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Meggie's friend's family leave town?
(a) The children are not successful in school.
(b) Paddy runs them out of town in disgrace.
(c) Their farm is taken by the bank.
(d) Her father finds a new job.
2. Which character says that Frank is no better than the one who fathered him?
(d) Mary Carson.
3. Who is the first person that the Cleary family meets when they arrive in Gillanbone?
(a) Father Ralph.
(b) Mary Carson.
(c) Paddy Cleary's mother.
(d) Fiona's sister.
4. Who asks Father Ralph to check on Frank's condition?
5. Where do they bury Hal?
(a) In Wahine.
(b) In Gillanbone.
(c) In a tiny cemetery on Drogheda.
(d) In the local church cemetery.
6. Why is Fiona punished by her family?
(a) Because she is in love with a married man.
(b) Because she refuses to follow in her mother's footsteps.
(c) Because she is unmarried and pregnant.
(d) Because she runs away.
7. What does the Cleary family not encounter at Drogheda?
(a) Oppressive heat.
(b) Dust and flies.
(c) Snakes, birds, and kangaroos.
(d) A forest.
8. What is Ralph's role with the Cleary family?
(a) He provides transportation to them for errands.
(b) He takes on a father role with the twins.
(c) He loans them money to tide them over.
(d) He is more of a close family friend than a priest.
9. Where will Jims and Patsy go with the inheritance from Mary Carson?
(a) To live with Father Ralph.
(b) To see Fiona's family.
(c) To a boarding school in Sydney when they turn twelve.
(d) To visit Frank.
10. Why is Stuart able to leave school?
(a) He goes on a hunger strike.
(b) He and Meggie fight continuously.
(c) Mary no longer wants to invest in his education.
(d) He fights with Paddy.
11. What is Fiona's reaction to the news article regarding Frank?
(a) She's mad that so much time has passed.
(b) She loses interest in her other children since Frank is her favorite.
(c) She wants to go see her son.
(d) She passes out.
12. Why is Ralph sent to Gillanbone?
(a) For disrespecting a bishop.
(b) To assist Mary Carson.
(c) To meet up with Meggie.
(d) Because he stole money from the Church.
13. What sets Frank apart from the other male Cleary children?
(a) Helping his mother out when Paddy is not around.
(b) His desire to be independent.
(c) His love of adventure and travel.
(d) All of the given answers are correct.
14. What strikes the dead gum tree and starts the fire?
(a) A bolt of lightning.
(c) A gunshot.
(d) An arsonist.
15. Which of the following is a gift that Ralph receives from Mary?
(a) A herd of livestock.
(b) New house.
(d) A trip to New Zealand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary give Ralph the evening of her 72nd birthday party?
2. Which brother always seems to be Meggie's champion?
3. What is one thing that Fiona never does?
4. What does Frank do after he hears reports about him and Paddy?
5. What is the special gift that Meggie receives for her fourth birthday?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)