|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says that Frank is no better than the one who fathered him?
(a) Mary Carson.
2. What does Mary give Ralph the evening of her 72nd birthday party?
(a) A sealed envelope.
(b) The keys to her house.
(c) The name of someone in Rome.
(d) The family Bible.
3. What event does Mary Carson plan?
(a) A vacation for herself and Ralph.
(b) An outing for the entire Cleary family to Gillanbone.
(c) A party for her 72nd birthday.
(d) A coming out party for Meggie.
4. What is one thing that Fiona never does?
(a) Converts to Catholicism.
(b) Attends church on Sunday mornings.
(c) Questions Paddy's authority.
(d) Supports her children in their schooling.
5. What is Fiona's reaction to the news article regarding Frank?
(a) She loses interest in her other children since Frank is her favorite.
(b) She wants to go see her son.
(c) She passes out.
(d) She's mad that so much time has passed.
6. Why does Ralph ignore Meggie at Mary's birthday party?
(a) He blames her for Hal's death.
(b) To prevent rumors of a liaison.
(c) Paddy asks him to.
(d) He is tired of her childish ways.
7. What is the name of the newest Cleary?
8. Paddy and Fiona have how many sons?
9. Where does Ralph find Meggie at the end of Mary's birthday party?
(a) Weeping in the garden.
(b) Sitting on Mary's front porch.
(c) Sitting alone in her room at Drogheda.
(d) Crying over Hal's grave.
10. What does Fiona bring to her family?
(a) Extra money from a part-time job.
(b) Scandal and shame.
(c) Praise for being a top student in her class.
(d) An extra hand to help out with household chores.
11. What does Father Ralph do for everyone in the family?
(a) He treats them to ice cream in town.
(b) He buys new pillows.
(c) He sends them on a trip to Wahine.
(d) He opens a bank account.
12. Why does Mary Carson prefer to remain a widow?
(a) Paddy will be jealous.
(b) She will have to leave her home.
(c) She cannot find anyone she loves.
(d) If she remarries, all of her wealth becomes her husband's.
13. Why is Ralph sent to Gillanbone?
(a) Because he stole money from the Church.
(b) For disrespecting a bishop.
(c) To meet up with Meggie.
(d) To assist Mary Carson.
14. What one thing does Drogheda not have on the premises?
(a) Blacksmith shop.
(c) Rainwater tanks.
(d) A general store.
15. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
(a) A kiss.
(b) That he move away.
(c) That he find Frank and bring him home.
(d) That he quit seeing Meggie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hal?
2. As administrator of Mary Carson's wealth, Father Ralph does something that is unheard of. What is that?
3. What does the oldest son want to do?
4. What does Ralph do with Mary Carson?
5. What is Paddy's job?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)