|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person that the Cleary family meets when they arrive in Gillanbone?
(a) Fiona's sister.
(b) Father Ralph.
(c) Mary Carson.
(d) Paddy Cleary's mother.
2. What does Fiona hope to do before moving into Mary's house?
(b) Hear from Frank.
(c) Get rid of Mary's clothes.
(d) Make sure each child has a bedroom.
3. What happens to Hal?
(a) He becomes ill and dies.
(b) He moves to town to attend boarding school.
(c) He runs away from home.
(d) He moves in with Mary Carson.
4. Why does Meggie leave school?
(a) Meggie is making poor grades.
(b) Mary no longer wants to pay tuition at the school.
(c) A pregnant Fiona cannot manage all of the housework.
(d) Meggie needs to help Paddy with the sheep.
5. What does Fiona bring to her family?
(a) An extra hand to help out with household chores.
(b) Scandal and shame.
(c) Extra money from a part-time job.
(d) Praise for being a top student in her class.
6. What is Drogheda known for?
(a) Being the largest sheep ranch in New South Wales.
(b) Raising more pigs than all the other ranches combined.
(c) A wildlife refuge.
(d) The finest Holstein cattle in New Zealand.
7. What job does Paddy give Meggie?
(a) Cleaning the livestock pens.
(b) Watching Jims and Patsy.
(c) Patrolling the Home Paddock on horseback.
(d) Cooking for the family.
8. What does Mary Carson do before the event that she plans?
(a) Consults with a caterer to make sure the food is perfect.
(b) Takes a trip to town.
(c) Pens a new will.
(d) Talks to Paddy about Meggie.
9. Which character says that Frank is no better than the one who fathered him?
(d) Mary Carson.
10. What does Mary provide for the Cleary family for her 72nd birthday party?
(a) All new party clothes.
(b) Indoor plumbing.
(c) A bigger house.
(d) New sheep.
11. What does Fiona neglect to tell Meggie?
(a) That Frank is her half-brother.
(b) The mechanics of the female body.
(c) How to find a boyfriend.
(d) What really happened to Hal.
12. Where do the Cleary children attend school?
(a) Sacred Heart Convent School.
(b) Lord of the Outback Elementary.
(c) Wahine Elementary.
(d) The corner school.
13. What is one thing that Fiona never does?
(a) Questions Paddy's authority.
(b) Attends church on Sunday mornings.
(c) Supports her children in their schooling.
(d) Converts to Catholicism.
14. Why does Ralph ignore Meggie at Mary's birthday party?
(a) Paddy asks him to.
(b) He blames her for Hal's death.
(c) He is tired of her childish ways.
(d) To prevent rumors of a liaison.
15. What one thing does Drogheda not have on the premises?
(b) Blacksmith shop.
(c) Rainwater tanks.
(d) A general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Meggie's best friend at school?
2. How big is the check that Ralph sent Paddy?
3. What sets Frank apart from the other male Cleary children?
4. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
5. What is Father Ralph's new role since the death of Mary Carson?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)