|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary Carson pay tuition for to attend boarding school in Gillanbone?
(a) Fiona and Paddy.
(b) Hal and Frank.
(c) Meggie and Stuart.
(d) Ralph and Jack.
2. Where does Ralph find Meggie at the end of Mary's birthday party?
(a) Sitting alone in her room at Drogheda.
(b) Crying over Hal's grave.
(c) Weeping in the garden.
(d) Sitting on Mary's front porch.
3. Where is Fiona's family from?
(a) New Zealand.
4. What sets Frank apart from the other male Cleary children?
(a) Helping his mother out when Paddy is not around.
(b) His love of adventure and travel.
(c) His desire to be independent.
(d) All of the given answers are correct.
5. Who is the first person that the Cleary family meets when they arrive in Gillanbone?
(a) Mary Carson.
(b) Fiona's sister.
(c) Father Ralph.
(d) Paddy Cleary's mother.
6. What does Ralph do with Mary Carson?
(a) Asks her to be like a mother to him.
(b) Promises that he will work the ranch with Paddy.
(c) Promises that he will move to Italy with her.
(d) Flirts with her to bring in more money for the Church.
7. What does the Cleary family do every Sunday?
(a) Eat at the local church dinner.
(b) Go to mass.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Hold a family meeting with their relatives.
8. What does Mary give Ralph the evening of her 72nd birthday party?
(a) The family Bible.
(b) The name of someone in Rome.
(c) The keys to her house.
(d) A sealed envelope.
9. What is Father Ralph's new role since the death of Mary Carson?
(a) He becomes a school teacher.
(b) He is Paddy's supervisor.
(c) He hires workers for Drogheda.
(d) He is a private secretary to an Archbishop in Sydney.
10. What are the names of the twins that Fiona gives birth to?
(a) Patrick and Ralph.
(b) James and Patrick.
(c) Adam and Michael.
(d) Frank and Chris.
11. Who returns to the Home Paddock?
(c) Father Ralph.
12. What does Fiona bring to her family?
(a) Scandal and shame.
(b) Extra money from a part-time job.
(c) Praise for being a top student in her class.
(d) An extra hand to help out with household chores.
13. Which of the following does Mary Carson not provide for Paddy's family?
(a) A job.
(b) A maid.
(c) A home.
(d) Tuition for two of the Cleary children to go to boarding school.
14. Which family member is not allowed to attend church?
15. Why is Meggie hurt at Mary's party?
(a) Because Paddy ignores her.
(b) Because she cannot get over Hal.
(c) Because she hasn't heard from Frank.
(d) Because Ralph ignores her at the party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does Drogheda not have on the premises?
2. What does the oldest son want to do?
3. Which character's workload increases significantly with the move to New South Wales?
4. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
5. What is the district's most important social event?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)