|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary tell Ralph after she leaves her birthday party?
(a) To leave the maids alone.
(b) That he needs to be closer to the Cleary family to take care of them.
(c) That this will be her last party and she will choose her time to die.
(d) To loan Paddy money.
2. What is the socio-economic level of Fiona's family?
3. What happens to Hal?
(a) He moves to town to attend boarding school.
(b) He runs away from home.
(c) He moves in with Mary Carson.
(d) He becomes ill and dies.
4. What does the Cleary family not encounter at Drogheda?
(a) A forest.
(b) Dust and flies.
(c) Snakes, birds, and kangaroos.
(d) Oppressive heat.
5. Who is Meggie's best friend at school?
(a) Patrick Drogheda.
(b) Mary Little.
(c) Teresa Annunzio.
(d) Luciana De Bricassart.
6. What is Father Ralph's new role since the death of Mary Carson?
(a) He is a private secretary to an Archbishop in Sydney.
(b) He hires workers for Drogheda.
(c) He is Paddy's supervisor.
(d) He becomes a school teacher.
7. Where is Fiona's family from?
(d) New Zealand.
8. What does the housekeeper tell Ralph the morning after Mary Carson's birthday party?
(a) That Mary is in love with him.
(b) That Paddy and Fiona have moved.
(c) That Mary Carson has died.
(d) That Mary has left on a vacation.
9. What is Ralph's role with the Cleary family?
(a) He loans them money to tide them over.
(b) He provides transportation to them for errands.
(c) He takes on a father role with the twins.
(d) He is more of a close family friend than a priest.
10. Why does Mary Carson prefer to remain a widow?
(a) She cannot find anyone she loves.
(b) Paddy will be jealous.
(c) If she remarries, all of her wealth becomes her husband's.
(d) She will have to leave her home.
11. Before returning for the funerals of Paddy and Stuart, when was the last time Father Ralph was at Drogheda?
(a) When he talked to Fiona about Meggie.
(b) When he discussed Frank with Paddy.
(c) When he officiated at the funeral of Mary Carson.
(d) When he set up a trust fund for Meggie.
12. What location is the primary setting of this love story?
(a) The Outback.
13. With the exception of Meggie, what is the family's attitude toward Fiona's latest pregnancy?
(a) Worry for Fiona's health.
(b) Anger at another mouth to feed.
(d) Welcoming - someone to eventually help out in the fields.
14. What does Fiona discover while packing?
(a) A news article about Frank.
(b) Meggie's diary.
(c) A poem that Meggie wrote about Hal.
(d) Mary's first will.
15. Who dotes on Jims and Patsy?
(b) Father Ralph.
(c) Mrs. Smith, the housekeeper
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sibling does Meggie take under her wing?
2. Who asks Father Ralph to check on Frank's condition?
3. What does Mary give Ralph the evening of her 72nd birthday party?
4. What does Fiona neglect to tell Meggie?
5. What does Meggie give to Father Ralph to remember her by?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)