|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary Carson pay tuition for to attend boarding school in Gillanbone?
(a) Meggie and Stuart.
(b) Ralph and Jack.
(c) Fiona and Paddy.
(d) Hal and Frank.
2. What does Father Ralph do for everyone in the family?
(a) He opens a bank account.
(b) He treats them to ice cream in town.
(c) He buys new pillows.
(d) He sends them on a trip to Wahine.
3. Why does Paddy get into an argument with Frank when they are in Gillanbone for the Show and Picnic Races?
(a) Frank does not participate in the blacksmith event.
(b) Frank loses the boxing match.
(c) Frank is boxing.
(d) Frank loses Meggie.
4. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
(a) That he quit seeing Meggie.
(b) A kiss.
(c) That he find Frank and bring him home.
(d) That he move away.
5. What sets Frank apart from the other male Cleary children?
(a) All of the given answers are correct.
(b) Helping his mother out when Paddy is not around.
(c) His love of adventure and travel.
(d) His desire to be independent.
6. What does Mary promise Paddy?
(a) That he will inherit her wealth and land.
(b) Her Cadillac.
(c) That he will be Ralph's assistant.
(d) That he will be an elder in the Catholic church.
7. What is Paddy's occupation when he and his family leave New Zealand?
(c) Farmer and sometime sheep shearer.
(d) School teacher.
8. What does the Cleary family not encounter at Drogheda?
(a) Snakes, birds, and kangaroos.
(b) A forest.
(c) Oppressive heat.
(d) Dust and flies.
9. What are the twins' nicknames?
(a) A.C. and Patty.
(b) Ralphie and Mickey.
(c) Jims and Patsy.
(d) Jimmy and C.C.
10. What one thing does Drogheda not have on the premises?
(a) Rainwater tanks.
(c) Blacksmith shop.
(d) A general store.
11. Why do Paddy and Frank have so many conflicts?
(a) Fiona favors Frank over Paddy.
(b) Paddy feels that Frank is too protective of Meggie.
(c) There is so much work to do and both are stressed.
(d) Frank is not Paddy's biological son.
12. Why is Ralph sent to Gillanbone?
(a) Because he stole money from the Church.
(b) For disrespecting a bishop.
(c) To assist Mary Carson.
(d) To meet up with Meggie.
13. Why does Paddy Cleary move to New South Wales?
(a) Mary Carson is very ill.
(b) Drogheda is promised to him upon his sister's death.
(c) Father Ralph is the best priest in that area.
(d) Fiona's family wants her to be closer to them.
14. What happens when the oldest son runs away?
(a) He is captured by the police and brought back home.
(b) He is sent to a military school.
(c) He loses his home.
(d) He is put in jail.
15. How many brothers and sisters does Fiona have?
(a) None. She is an only child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks Stuart?
2. The "Thorn Birds" spans three generations of what family?
3. Who is the main character of this novel?
4. What essential part of the house is still found outside at Drogheda?
5. What is Fiona's reaction to the news article regarding Frank?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)