|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days does the fire burn before the rains come?
(a) One day.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
2. What does Father Ralph make Fiona promise him?
(a) That Meggie will not have to supervise the cleaning and cooking.
(b) That Meggie will attend dances and meet men her age.
(c) That she will discuss women's health issues with Meggie.
(d) That Fiona will tell Meggie about Frank.
3. What does Mary demand of Ralph after her birthday party, but he refuses?
(a) That he find Frank and bring him home.
(b) A kiss.
(c) That he move away.
(d) That he quit seeing Meggie.
4. Who is the first person that the Cleary family meets when they arrive in Gillanbone?
(a) Mary Carson.
(b) Father Ralph.
(c) Paddy Cleary's mother.
(d) Fiona's sister.
5. Which character says that Frank is no better than the one who fathered him?
(d) Mary Carson.
6. What is Father Ralph's new role since the death of Mary Carson?
(a) He becomes a school teacher.
(b) He is Paddy's supervisor.
(c) He hires workers for Drogheda.
(d) He is a private secretary to an Archbishop in Sydney.
7. What does the Cleary family do every Sunday?
(a) Go to mass.
(b) Eat at the local church dinner.
(c) Hold a family meeting with their relatives.
(d) Go to the movies.
8. What job does Paddy give Meggie?
(a) Cooking for the family.
(b) Patrolling the Home Paddock on horseback.
(c) Cleaning the livestock pens.
(d) Watching Jims and Patsy.
9. What does the oldest son want to do?
(a) Join the army.
(b) Become a priest.
(c) Join the circus.
(d) Become a professional sheep herder.
10. What is the name of the newest Cleary?
11. What color is Meggie's party dress?
(a) Cherry red.
(b) Delicate pinkish color, called "ashes of roses."
(d) Mint green.
12. Who finds Paddy's remains?
(b) Father Ralph.
13. What event does Mary Carson plan?
(a) A party for her 72nd birthday.
(b) A coming out party for Meggie.
(c) A vacation for herself and Ralph.
(d) An outing for the entire Cleary family to Gillanbone.
14. What does Ralph stop just short of explaining to Meggie?
(a) That Mary has no intention of sharing her wealth.
(b) That he is in love with Meggie.
(c) Where babies come from.
(d) That Mary is jealous of Meggie.
15. What does Fiona discover while packing?
(a) A news article about Frank.
(b) A poem that Meggie wrote about Hal.
(c) Mary's first will.
(d) Meggie's diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fiona neglect to tell Meggie?
2. What strikes the dead gum tree and starts the fire?
3. What essential part of the house is still found outside at Drogheda?
4. As administrator of Mary Carson's wealth, Father Ralph does something that is unheard of. What is that?
5. What is one thing that Fiona never does?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)