|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which street is there a commotion early in Chapter 15 that Tambu witnesses?
2. Why is Tambu jealous of Pedzi?
3. What kind of fashion implements does Pedzi favor?
4. Why is Panashe upset about the movie that is chosen in Chapter 13?
5. What does Tracey decide to do about the mambo in Tambu's home village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tambu's mother's outburst in Chapter 22 result in for Tambu?
2. What is the phrase Tambu uses in Chapter 20 that means almost the same thing as a bribe?
3. Why is Ma'Tabitha worried about Tambu in Chapter 17?
4. When they meet in Chapter 14, what does Tracey ask Tambu?
5. What does Nyasha bring for Tambu in Chapter 17 from her own house that Tambu left behind?
6. What do Christine and Aunt Lucia try to convince Tambu of in Chapter 21?
7. What does Tracey ask Tambu to have her relatives and friends in the village do in Chapter 21 that Tambu is not comfortable with?
8. What happens to Mai Taka in Chapter 14 that Nyasha and Leon have to try to raise gas money for in order to help her?
9. What continues to bother Tambu about her job security and career in Chapter 16?
10. What happens to Mai Taka in the aftermath of Mai Taka's excursion to the movies with Nyasha's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing why you think Dangarembga chooses to narrate the novel in the second-person, and what effect this choice has on the reader's understanding of Tambu's character.
Essay Topic 2
"Your people say: you don't lose your appetite over another person's problems" (23). Consider this quote and write an essay explaining all the instances in which Tambu seems to demonstrate its spirit.
Essay Topic 3
Early on in the novel, Tambu not only fails to help an acquaintance of hers as a situation in the street quickly escalates towards violence; she actually considers participating in carrying out violence against this woman, Gertrude (21). Write an essay analyzing the possible reasons and motivations behind Tambu's callousness, citing specific references to the text in your answer.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)