|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Craig do when he sees some police officers?
2. What is Pharoah's latest interest?
3. Which child did LaJoe take with her to Terrence's trial?
4. During the party, what does Dawn come running in to warn about?
5. Why does Lafeyette dislike his public defender?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unfortunate coincidence involving Craig Davis and the police?
2. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
3. What is the special fear of Pharoah?
4. Why does Pharoah stay up all night on December 30th?
5. Why is Lafeyette put in charge of the children and what is his behavior like?
6. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
7. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
8. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
9. Describe what Pharoah sees as the boys are eating their food outside the Main Street hot dog stand.
10. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the causes of gangs and gang violence. What are the circumstances that cause young people to join gangs and subject themselves to gang authority? If gang authority is accepted, what are the reasons for rebelling against the authority of schools, the police, and the adult family members? Go deeper into the causes than just rebellion. Discuss things like personal safety, a need to belong, and a need to communicate.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the value of hope in life. Explain why it is important for people to believe figuratively in the gold and leprechauns at the end of the rainbow. What is the value of life without hope? Do you see it as logical that people who have no hope also have no sense of moral responsibility?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)