|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens to bash LaJoe's head in because she ignores his flirtations?
2. What is LaJoe able at last to make?
3. Who makes up Rickey's gang?
4. What was the result of Lafeyette's fall down some stairs?
5. When does Lafeyette lose another friend who dies in a car accident during a police chase?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the improvements Vincent Lane is able to make in the projects?
2. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
3. Describe Lafeyette's brush with the law that gets him arrested.
4. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
5. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
6. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
7. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
8. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
9. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
10. What are the projects like in the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about political and criminal abuse of the poor, the uneducated, and the elderly. Explain why these people are so vulnerable to scams and oppression. Compare the scam artists who bilked LaJoe out of her deposit money for a new house to the corrupt politicians who allowed the projects to fall victim of disrepair and lawlessness. Include examples of whole political systems which allow starvation and genocide to go on among their people.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)