|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A week after Craig's funeral, what weather condition takes place?
2. Why are LaJoe and Lafeyette waiting in a room at the detention center?
3. Who wants to believe in magical things and be able to dream and imagine?
4. What is Lafeyette beginning to look like at the age of thriteen?
5. What does Pharoah put on and spend thirty minutes grooming himself before the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
2. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
3. How does the judge make LaJoe feel after Lafeyette's hearing?
4. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
5. What is the unfortunate coincidence involving Craig Davis and the police?
6. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
7. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
8. What are the projects like in the winter?
9. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
10. What is the special fear of Pharoah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on social welfare systems in America. Give a balanced view, expressing the ways in which it certainly has helped a number of people. On the other hand, mention its inadequacies and offer suggestions about how it might be improved.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about political and criminal abuse of the poor, the uneducated, and the elderly. Explain why these people are so vulnerable to scams and oppression. Compare the scam artists who bilked LaJoe out of her deposit money for a new house to the corrupt politicians who allowed the projects to fall victim of disrepair and lawlessness. Include examples of whole political systems which allow starvation and genocide to go on among their people.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the value of hope in life. Explain why it is important for people to believe figuratively in the gold and leprechauns at the end of the rainbow. What is the value of life without hope? Do you see it as logical that people who have no hope also have no sense of moral responsibility?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)