|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lafeyette dislike his public defender?
2. Why do they rarely see Rickey anymore?
3. Who are Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
4. What causes one boy in Rickey's gang to get shot accidentally in the arm?
5. What does Pharoah decide to clean to get out of Lafeyette's way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
2. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
3. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
4. When Pharoah and Porkchop go to visit Dawn, what is her condition?
5. Why is Lafeyette put in charge of the children and what is his behavior like?
6. What are some of the improvements Vincent Lane is able to make in the projects?
7. Why does Terrence agree to participate in an armed robbery?
8. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
9. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
10. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the effects of drug trafficking on society as a whole. Discuss how illegal drugs affect every strata of society. Mention the low rate of kicking a habit once it has taken hold of a person and the price in money, property, and lives illegal drugs cost the general public.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)