|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Terrence commit the crime of ______________ and faces a ten year sentence.
2. Why do LaJoe and Rochelle decorate the apartment?
3. What does Pharoah see that makes him stutter again?
4. What is making Lafeyette nervous?
5. What does LaJoe witness that makes her put her foot down with Lafeyette?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lafeyette put in charge of the children and what is his behavior like?
2. What are the projects like in the winter?
3. What is the unfortunate coincidence involving Craig Davis and the police?
4. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
5. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
6. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
7. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
8. What improvements are made to the apartment in the summer of 1989?
9. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
10. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the effects of drug trafficking on society as a whole. Discuss how illegal drugs affect every strata of society. Mention the low rate of kicking a habit once it has taken hold of a person and the price in money, property, and lives illegal drugs cost the general public.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about political and criminal abuse of the poor, the uneducated, and the elderly. Explain why these people are so vulnerable to scams and oppression. Compare the scam artists who bilked LaJoe out of her deposit money for a new house to the corrupt politicians who allowed the projects to fall victim of disrepair and lawlessness. Include examples of whole political systems which allow starvation and genocide to go on among their people.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)