|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lafeyette arrested?
2. What does Craig do when he sees some police officers?
3. What position had LaJoe's mother held when LaJoe was a child?
4. What does LaJoe pin on her sweatshirt and wear for the rest of the day?
5. Where is Pharoah going during the summer of 1989?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Pharoah and Lafeyette happen to run into Rickey on their way for a treat?
2. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
3. Who is Vince Lane and what does he hope to accomplish?
4. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
5. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
6. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
7. What improvements are made to the apartment in the summer of 1989?
8. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
9. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
10. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the causes of gangs and gang violence. What are the circumstances that cause young people to join gangs and subject themselves to gang authority? If gang authority is accepted, what are the reasons for rebelling against the authority of schools, the police, and the adult family members? Go deeper into the causes than just rebellion. Discuss things like personal safety, a need to belong, and a need to communicate.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled "Kick the Dog." Begin with a story about a man who was harassed at work all day. When he comes home, the dog greets him with its tail wagging. The man, unable to fight back at work, takes his anger out by kicking the innocent dog. Using LaJoe and Lafeyette as examples, write your paper about how people often take out their frustrations of innocent and often helpless people.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the value of hope in life. Explain why it is important for people to believe figuratively in the gold and leprechauns at the end of the rainbow. What is the value of life without hope? Do you see it as logical that people who have no hope also have no sense of moral responsibility?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)