|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does LaJoe pin on her sweatshirt and wear for the rest of the day?
2. Why does LaJoe want to try and move away from Horner?
3. A week after Craig's funeral, what weather condition takes place?
4. How does Lafeyette dress for Craig's funeral?
5. What bad dream does Pharoah have after the sentencing of his older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
2. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
3. How does the judge make LaJoe feel after Lafeyette's hearing?
4. Why does Terrence agree to participate in an armed robbery?
5. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
6. What are the projects like in the winter?
7. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
8. What is the special fear of Pharoah?
9. What is the unfortunate coincidence involving Craig Davis and the police?
10. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twenty years after the events in 1989 involving Pharoah and his drive for an education, America elected its first African-American President who, interestingly, got his first job working in the Chicago housing projects. Write an essay about how young people like Pharoah began seeing greater opportunities during the last two decades.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled "Society's Forgotten People." In addition to the example of the Rivers family, mention other groups of people our society fails. In the essay, discuss how people are measured by the amount of material things they possess and the money they have in the bank and in investments.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)