|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lafeyette and Pharoah get accepted?
2. Where is Craig taken and eventually pronounced dead?
3. Where is Pharoah going during the summer of 1989?
4. How does Lafeyette dress for Craig's funeral?
5. What is LaJoe able at last to make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
2. How do Pharoah and Lafeyette happen to run into Rickey on their way for a treat?
3. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
4. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
5. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
6. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
7. What are the projects like in the winter?
8. What are some of the improvements Vincent Lane is able to make in the projects?
9. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
10. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
Essay Topic 2
Using LaJoe, Dawn, and LaShawn as examples, write a paper on the problem of teenage pregnancy. Discuss why it happens and why efforts to prevent teen pregnancies have not been all that successful. Discuss the other problems these young women face after their first child is born. Give your ideas of how the problem might be addressed.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of experience and education. Start with Pharoah who knew from reading that there is supposed to be gold or leprechauns at the end of a rainbow but had never seen one. Discuss in your paper how book study and experience are both part of becoming educated.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)