|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After placing second behind Clarise, what really makes Pharoah happy?
2. What is Lafeyette's sentence?
3. What are some of the problems at the Chicago Housing Authority?
4. Who makes up Rickey's gang?
5. Why is Pharoah worried that even if he achieves a high school diploma, he will not be able to get out of the projects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
2. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
3. Describe what Pharoah sees as the boys are eating their food outside the Main Street hot dog stand.
4. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
5. What is the unfortunate coincidence involving Craig Davis and the police?
6. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
7. Who is Vince Lane and what does he hope to accomplish?
8. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
9. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
10. Describe Lafeyette's brush with the law that gets him arrested.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" of the world. Express what you see as the responsibility of those with affluence toward those who live in desperation. Give some suggestions of how the disparity might be alleviated.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled "Kick the Dog." Begin with a story about a man who was harassed at work all day. When he comes home, the dog greets him with its tail wagging. The man, unable to fight back at work, takes his anger out by kicking the innocent dog. Using LaJoe and Lafeyette as examples, write your paper about how people often take out their frustrations of innocent and often helpless people.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the effects of drug trafficking on society as a whole. Discuss how illegal drugs affect every strata of society. Mention the low rate of kicking a habit once it has taken hold of a person and the price in money, property, and lives illegal drugs cost the general public.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)