|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes one boy in Rickey's gang to get shot accidentally in the arm?
2. Where are Craig and his friends going when he comes across Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
3. Why does LaJoe want to try and move away from Horner?
4. What does LaJoe resolve to do for the younger children in the future?
5. What does Pharoah admit is his greatest fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
2. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
3. What are the projects like in the winter?
4. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
5. What are some of the improvements Vincent Lane is able to make in the projects?
6. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
7. Describe what Pharoah sees as the boys are eating their food outside the Main Street hot dog stand.
8. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
9. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
10. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of experience and education. Start with Pharoah who knew from reading that there is supposed to be gold or leprechauns at the end of a rainbow but had never seen one. Discuss in your paper how book study and experience are both part of becoming educated.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the exploitation of children. Begin with the need for Lafeyette to grow old before his time. Expand that theme to child soldiers and sweatshop laborers. Discuss how and why this exploitation happens to children all over the world.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read the book, THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE, write a paper about what you now know about the lives of people living in poverty. Why is the gang culture so prevalent in slum areas and ghettos? Discuss whether your attitudes have been altered about people living in poverty.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)