|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Vince Lane does not know until the Horner residents inform him?
2. What does LaJoe buy for them to eat downtown?
3. What was the result of Lafeyette's fall down some stairs?
4. What is LaJoe able at last to make?
5. What causes one boy in Rickey's gang to get shot accidentally in the arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
2. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
3. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
4. Describe what Pharoah sees as the boys are eating their food outside the Main Street hot dog stand.
5. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
6. Describe Lafeyette's brush with the law that gets him arrested.
7. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
8. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
9. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
10. What is the special fear of Pharoah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Jimmie Lee as an example, write an essay on America's prison system. Discuss how incarceration more often than not turns out hardened criminals who earn their rank while in prison. Give your suggestions of how the prison system might be improved so that inmates are really rehabilitated.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the value of hope in life. Explain why it is important for people to believe figuratively in the gold and leprechauns at the end of the rainbow. What is the value of life without hope? Do you see it as logical that people who have no hope also have no sense of moral responsibility?
Essay Topic 3
Twenty years after the events in 1989 involving Pharoah and his drive for an education, America elected its first African-American President who, interestingly, got his first job working in the Chicago housing projects. Write an essay about how young people like Pharoah began seeing greater opportunities during the last two decades.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)