|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pharoah worried that even if he achieves a high school diploma, he will not be able to get out of the projects?
2. In May of 1989, who holds a meeting with the Henry Horner tenants association?
3. What does Pharoah admit is his greatest fear?
4. Where do Lafeyette and Pharoah get accepted?
5. What causes Gwen Anderson to vomit in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
2. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
3. Describe Lafeyette's brush with the law that gets him arrested.
4. What is it about public defender Anne Rhodes that Lafeyette does not understand?
5. Who is Vince Lane and what does he hope to accomplish?
6. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
7. Describe what Pharoah sees as the boys are eating their food outside the Main Street hot dog stand.
8. Why does Pharoah stay up all night on December 30th?
9. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
10. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the exploitation of children. Begin with the need for Lafeyette to grow old before his time. Expand that theme to child soldiers and sweatshop laborers. Discuss how and why this exploitation happens to children all over the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled "Society's Forgotten People." In addition to the example of the Rivers family, mention other groups of people our society fails. In the essay, discuss how people are measured by the amount of material things they possess and the money they have in the bank and in investments.
Essay Topic 3
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)