|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
2. Why is Pharoah worried that even if he achieves a high school diploma, he will not be able to get out of the projects?
3. Who wants to believe in magical things and be able to dream and imagine?
4. Where are Craig and his friends going when he comes across Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
5. What is Lafeyette beginning to look like at the age of thriteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the judge make LaJoe feel after Lafeyette's hearing?
2. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
3. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
4. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
5. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
6. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
7. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
8. When Pharoah and Porkchop go to visit Dawn, what is her condition?
9. Why does Pharoah stay up all night on December 30th?
10. What are some of the improvements Vincent Lane is able to make in the projects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on social welfare systems in America. Give a balanced view, expressing the ways in which it certainly has helped a number of people. On the other hand, mention its inadequacies and offer suggestions about how it might be improved.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE. Discuss such things as the objectivity of the author, the examples he uses in the book, and what you think his purpose was in writing the book. Be sure to include your evaluation of the value in reading the book.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)