|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pharoah warn his friends about in the basement?
2. When are the projects stifling hot?
3. Who buys Pharoah a hot dog at the Boys Club?
4. Where are Craig and his friends going when he comes across Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
5. What destroyed Paul's relationship with LaJoe and now with his children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
2. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
3. Why is Lafeyette put in charge of the children and what is his behavior like?
4. What is the unfortunate coincidence involving Craig Davis and the police?
5. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
6. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
7. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
8. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
9. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
10. How does the judge make LaJoe feel after Lafeyette's hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled "Kick the Dog." Begin with a story about a man who was harassed at work all day. When he comes home, the dog greets him with its tail wagging. The man, unable to fight back at work, takes his anger out by kicking the innocent dog. Using LaJoe and Lafeyette as examples, write your paper about how people often take out their frustrations of innocent and often helpless people.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read the book, THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE, write a paper about what you now know about the lives of people living in poverty. Why is the gang culture so prevalent in slum areas and ghettos? Discuss whether your attitudes have been altered about people living in poverty.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)