|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the problems at the Chicago Housing Authority?
2. What is happening outside when Lafeyette doesn't move off the couch and continues to calmly watch television?
3. Why does Lafeyette develop a terrible cough?
4. What does the teacher, Mr. Rogers, promise the class if either Clarise or Pharoah wins the spelling bee?
5. What does Lafeyette think about LaShawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Terrence agree to participate in an armed robbery?
2. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
3. How does the judge make LaJoe feel after Lafeyette's hearing?
4. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
5. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
6. What are the projects like in the winter?
7. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
8. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
9. What is it about public defender Anne Rhodes that Lafeyette does not understand?
10. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When faced with the prospect of going to prison for a crime he did not commit, Terrence participated in an armed robbery with the attitude that he might as well commit the crime he had been accused of. Write a paper on the possibility of false imprisonment in the judicial system. Explain why it is possible and what makes it seem to happen so often.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the effects of drug trafficking on society as a whole. Discuss how illegal drugs affect every strata of society. Mention the low rate of kicking a habit once it has taken hold of a person and the price in money, property, and lives illegal drugs cost the general public.
Essay Topic 3
Using LaJoe, Dawn, and LaShawn as examples, write a paper on the problem of teenage pregnancy. Discuss why it happens and why efforts to prevent teen pregnancies have not been all that successful. Discuss the other problems these young women face after their first child is born. Give your ideas of how the problem might be addressed.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)