|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lafeyette start imagining about having a dog of his own?
2. What does LaJoe resolve to do for the younger children in the future?
3. What is making Lafeyette nervous?
4. What does the teacher, Mr. Rogers, promise the class if either Clarise or Pharoah wins the spelling bee?
5. What is clear about the judge in Lafeyette's hearing at Juvenile Detention?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled "Kick the Dog." Begin with a story about a man who was harassed at work all day. When he comes home, the dog greets him with its tail wagging. The man, unable to fight back at work, takes his anger out by kicking the innocent dog. Using LaJoe and Lafeyette as examples, write your paper about how people often take out their frustrations of innocent and often helpless people.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" of the world. Express what you see as the responsibility of those with affluence toward those who live in desperation. Give some suggestions of how the disparity might be alleviated.
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)