|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do LaJoe and Rochelle decorate the apartment?
2. What is clear about the judge in Lafeyette's hearing at Juvenile Detention?
3. What does Lafeyette think about LaShawn?
4. What has changed about Lafeyette?
5. Where is Pharoah going during the summer of 1989?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Vince Lane and what does he hope to accomplish?
2. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
3. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
4. Why does Terrence agree to participate in an armed robbery?
5. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
6. What are the projects like in the winter?
7. When Pharoah and Porkchop go to visit Dawn, what is her condition?
8. Why is Lafeyette put in charge of the children and what is his behavior like?
9. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
10. What is it about public defender Anne Rhodes that Lafeyette does not understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled "Society's Forgotten People." In addition to the example of the Rivers family, mention other groups of people our society fails. In the essay, discuss how people are measured by the amount of material things they possess and the money they have in the bank and in investments.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" of the world. Express what you see as the responsibility of those with affluence toward those who live in desperation. Give some suggestions of how the disparity might be alleviated.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about political and criminal abuse of the poor, the uneducated, and the elderly. Explain why these people are so vulnerable to scams and oppression. Compare the scam artists who bilked LaJoe out of her deposit money for a new house to the corrupt politicians who allowed the projects to fall victim of disrepair and lawlessness. Include examples of whole political systems which allow starvation and genocide to go on among their people.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)