|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the teacher, Mr. Rogers, promise the class if either Clarise or Pharoah wins the spelling bee?
2. What does Pharoah decide to clean to get out of Lafeyette's way?
3. How does Lafeyette cope with his stress?
4. What destroyed Paul's relationship with LaJoe and now with his children?
5. What bad dream does Pharoah have after the sentencing of his older brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the causes of gangs and gang violence. What are the circumstances that cause young people to join gangs and subject themselves to gang authority? If gang authority is accepted, what are the reasons for rebelling against the authority of schools, the police, and the adult family members? Go deeper into the causes than just rebellion. Discuss things like personal safety, a need to belong, and a need to communicate.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE. Discuss such things as the objectivity of the author, the examples he uses in the book, and what you think his purpose was in writing the book. Be sure to include your evaluation of the value in reading the book.
Essay Topic 3
When faced with the prospect of going to prison for a crime he did not commit, Terrence participated in an armed robbery with the attitude that he might as well commit the crime he had been accused of. Write a paper on the possibility of false imprisonment in the judicial system. Explain why it is possible and what makes it seem to happen so often.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)