|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lafeyette develop a terrible cough?
2. What is different about Terrence's appearance at the trial?
3. Who are Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
4. Why are some boys beating a man outside Horner Homes?
5. Who buys Pharoah a hot dog at the Boys Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
2. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
3. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
4. When Pharoah and Porkchop go to visit Dawn, what is her condition?
5. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
6. What is the special fear of Pharoah?
7. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
8. Describe Lafeyette's brush with the law that gets him arrested.
9. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
10. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the effects of drug trafficking on society as a whole. Discuss how illegal drugs affect every strata of society. Mention the low rate of kicking a habit once it has taken hold of a person and the price in money, property, and lives illegal drugs cost the general public.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE. Discuss such things as the objectivity of the author, the examples he uses in the book, and what you think his purpose was in writing the book. Be sure to include your evaluation of the value in reading the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using LaJoe, Dawn, and LaShawn as examples, write a paper on the problem of teenage pregnancy. Discuss why it happens and why efforts to prevent teen pregnancies have not been all that successful. Discuss the other problems these young women face after their first child is born. Give your ideas of how the problem might be addressed.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)