|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What destroyed Paul's relationship with LaJoe and now with his children?
2. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
3. What is the rumor going around the projects?
4. A week after Craig's funeral, what weather condition takes place?
5. What is it called when a hospital sends a patient to another hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
2. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
3. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
4. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
5. Why is Lafeyette put in charge of the children and what is his behavior like?
6. What is the special fear of Pharoah?
7. What are the projects like in the winter?
8. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
9. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
10. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on social welfare systems in America. Give a balanced view, expressing the ways in which it certainly has helped a number of people. On the other hand, mention its inadequacies and offer suggestions about how it might be improved.
Essay Topic 2
Using Jimmie Lee as an example, write an essay on America's prison system. Discuss how incarceration more often than not turns out hardened criminals who earn their rank while in prison. Give your suggestions of how the prison system might be improved so that inmates are really rehabilitated.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)