|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Urica's testimony, how long does it take the jury to find Lawrence Jackson guilty of murder?
2. Who did LaJoe meet at a dance hall when she was only thirteen, pretending to be sixteen?
3. Why will Jimmie Lee not let Horner project boys join his gang and even warns them to stay away from drugs and gangs?
4. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
5. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
2. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
3. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
4. How do the boys sometimes make money?
5. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
6. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
7. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
8. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
9. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
10. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about political and criminal abuse of the poor, the uneducated, and the elderly. Explain why these people are so vulnerable to scams and oppression. Compare the scam artists who bilked LaJoe out of her deposit money for a new house to the corrupt politicians who allowed the projects to fall victim of disrepair and lawlessness. Include examples of whole political systems which allow starvation and genocide to go on among their people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled "Kick the Dog." Begin with a story about a man who was harassed at work all day. When he comes home, the dog greets him with its tail wagging. The man, unable to fight back at work, takes his anger out by kicking the innocent dog. Using LaJoe and Lafeyette as examples, write your paper about how people often take out their frustrations of innocent and often helpless people.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE. Discuss such things as the objectivity of the author, the examples he uses in the book, and what you think his purpose was in writing the book. Be sure to include your evaluation of the value in reading the book.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)