|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs with LaShawn and her two children, boyfriend, and boyfriend's brother ?
2. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
3. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
4. Who is Jimmie Lee?
5. How many inmates was the Cook County jail built to house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
2. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
3. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
4. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
5. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
6. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
7. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
8. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
9. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
10. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the value of hope in life. Explain why it is important for people to believe figuratively in the gold and leprechauns at the end of the rainbow. What is the value of life without hope? Do you see it as logical that people who have no hope also have no sense of moral responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on social welfare systems in America. Give a balanced view, expressing the ways in which it certainly has helped a number of people. On the other hand, mention its inadequacies and offer suggestions about how it might be improved.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)