|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
2. Why will Jimmie Lee not let Horner project boys join his gang and even warns them to stay away from drugs and gangs?
3. How is Bird Leg killed?
4. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
5. What is the name of the young man who entertains outside of Horner Homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
2. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
3. What are the projects like in the winter?
4. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
5. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
6. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
7. How do the boys sometimes make money?
8. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
9. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
10. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled "Kick the Dog." Begin with a story about a man who was harassed at work all day. When he comes home, the dog greets him with its tail wagging. The man, unable to fight back at work, takes his anger out by kicking the innocent dog. Using LaJoe and Lafeyette as examples, write your paper about how people often take out their frustrations of innocent and often helpless people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on social welfare systems in America. Give a balanced view, expressing the ways in which it certainly has helped a number of people. On the other hand, mention its inadequacies and offer suggestions about how it might be improved.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
This section contains 1,856 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)