|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to LaJoe at the welfare meeting?
2. What does the racist policeman say to Lafeyette at the stadium?
3. Why does Pharoah love school?
4. When another person is killed, why do Lafeyette and Pharoah refuse to go to the funeral?
5. Where do LaJoe, Lafeyette, Pharoah and the triplets go to visit Terrence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
2. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
3. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
4. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
5. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
6. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
7. What is LaJoe's expectations for Pharoah?
8. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
9. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
10. How does a policeman treat Lafeyette in the stadium parking lot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on social welfare systems in America. Give a balanced view, expressing the ways in which it certainly has helped a number of people. On the other hand, mention its inadequacies and offer suggestions about how it might be improved.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE. Discuss such things as the objectivity of the author, the examples he uses in the book, and what you think his purpose was in writing the book. Be sure to include your evaluation of the value in reading the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)