|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
2. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
3. What do Lafeyette and Pharoah want from Terrence?
4. Bird Leg's cousin, Rickey, is full of rage. Why?
5. How does James say they will all die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
2. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
3. Describe Pharoah's problem that gets him eliminated from the spelling bee.
4. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
5. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
6. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
7. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
8. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
9. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
10. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
Essay Topic 2
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
Essay Topic 3
When faced with the prospect of going to prison for a crime he did not commit, Terrence participated in an armed robbery with the attitude that he might as well commit the crime he had been accused of. Write a paper on the possibility of false imprisonment in the judicial system. Explain why it is possible and what makes it seem to happen so often.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)