|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
2. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
3. Who is the son LaJoe is closest to but who disappoints her the most?
4. What type of person is Rickey?
5. Where do the larger boys play when they visit the railway tracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
2. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
3. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
4. What is LaJoe's expectations for Pharoah?
5. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
6. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
7. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
8. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
9. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
10. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of experience and education. Start with Pharoah who knew from reading that there is supposed to be gold or leprechauns at the end of a rainbow but had never seen one. Discuss in your paper how book study and experience are both part of becoming educated.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
Essay Topic 3
When faced with the prospect of going to prison for a crime he did not commit, Terrence participated in an armed robbery with the attitude that he might as well commit the crime he had been accused of. Write a paper on the possibility of false imprisonment in the judicial system. Explain why it is possible and what makes it seem to happen so often.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)