|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
2. Why do Lafeyette and Rickey refuse to take Pharoah back to the railroad tracks?
3. How old was LaJoe when she first came to the Henry Horner Projects?
4. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
5. Why does Pharoah love school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
2. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
3. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
4. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
5. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
6. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
7. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
8. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
9. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
10. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using LaJoe, Dawn, and LaShawn as examples, write a paper on the problem of teenage pregnancy. Discuss why it happens and why efforts to prevent teen pregnancies have not been all that successful. Discuss the other problems these young women face after their first child is born. Give your ideas of how the problem might be addressed.
Essay Topic 2
When faced with the prospect of going to prison for a crime he did not commit, Terrence participated in an armed robbery with the attitude that he might as well commit the crime he had been accused of. Write a paper on the possibility of false imprisonment in the judicial system. Explain why it is possible and what makes it seem to happen so often.
Essay Topic 3
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)