|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the vacancy rate at Horner increase?
2. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
3. What accusation is brought against LaJoe?
4. How is Bird Leg killed?
5. How does James say they will all die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
2. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
3. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
4. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
5. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
6. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
7. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
8. What is LaJoe's expectations for Pharoah?
9. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
10. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
Essay Topic 3
Using Jimmie Lee as an example, write an essay on America's prison system. Discuss how incarceration more often than not turns out hardened criminals who earn their rank while in prison. Give your suggestions of how the prison system might be improved so that inmates are really rehabilitated.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)