|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
2. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
3. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
4. Why do Lafeyette and Rickey refuse to take Pharoah back to the railroad tracks?
5. Where do LaJoe, Lafeyette, Pharoah and the triplets go to visit Terrence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
2. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
3. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
4. What is LaJoe's expectations for Pharoah?
5. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
6. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
7. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
8. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
9. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
10. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled "Kick the Dog." Begin with a story about a man who was harassed at work all day. When he comes home, the dog greets him with its tail wagging. The man, unable to fight back at work, takes his anger out by kicking the innocent dog. Using LaJoe and Lafeyette as examples, write your paper about how people often take out their frustrations of innocent and often helpless people.
Essay Topic 3
Using Jimmie Lee as an example, write an essay on America's prison system. Discuss how incarceration more often than not turns out hardened criminals who earn their rank while in prison. Give your suggestions of how the prison system might be improved so that inmates are really rehabilitated.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)