|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the stadium's owners, the Wirz family, changed the character of the neighborhood?
2. What accusation is brought against LaJoe?
3. What did a friend do for the family?
4. What happened to LaJoe's older sister?
5. Who is the teacher Lafeyette likes a great deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
2. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
3. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
4. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
5. How do the boys sometimes make money?
6. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
7. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
8. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
9. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
10. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the causes of gangs and gang violence. What are the circumstances that cause young people to join gangs and subject themselves to gang authority? If gang authority is accepted, what are the reasons for rebelling against the authority of schools, the police, and the adult family members? Go deeper into the causes than just rebellion. Discuss things like personal safety, a need to belong, and a need to communicate.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)