|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
2. What did a friend do for the family?
3. How have the stadium's owners, the Wirz family, changed the character of the neighborhood?
4. How do Lafeyette and Pharoah refer to the escalating gang wars and gun battles?
5. What is Pharoah entered in at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Terrence agree to participate in an armed robbery?
2. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
3. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
4. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
5. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
6. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
7. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
8. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
9. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
10. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about political and criminal abuse of the poor, the uneducated, and the elderly. Explain why these people are so vulnerable to scams and oppression. Compare the scam artists who bilked LaJoe out of her deposit money for a new house to the corrupt politicians who allowed the projects to fall victim of disrepair and lawlessness. Include examples of whole political systems which allow starvation and genocide to go on among their people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the exploitation of children. Begin with the need for Lafeyette to grow old before his time. Expand that theme to child soldiers and sweatshop laborers. Discuss how and why this exploitation happens to children all over the world.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
This section contains 1,903 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)