Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bird Leg killed?
2. Who did LaJoe meet at a dance hall when she was only thirteen, pretending to be sixteen?
3. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
4. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
5. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a policeman treat Lafeyette in the stadium parking lot?
2. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
3. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
4. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
5. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
6. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
7. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
8. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
9. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
10. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
Now that you have read the book, THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE, write a paper about what you now know about the lives of people living in poverty. Why is the gang culture so prevalent in slum areas and ghettos? Discuss whether your attitudes have been altered about people living in poverty.
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
Write an essay on the exploitation of children. Begin with the need for Lafeyette to grow old before his time. Expand that theme to child soldiers and sweatshop laborers. Discuss how and why this exploitation happens to children all over the world.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)