|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Pharoah do in his secret place?
2. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
3. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
4. Why do the police take the boys close to their home and drop them off with a stern warning?
5. What accusation is brought against LaJoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is LaJoe's expectations for Pharoah?
2. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
3. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
4. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
5. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
6. Describe Pharoah's problem that gets him eliminated from the spelling bee.
7. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
8. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
9. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
10. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about political and criminal abuse of the poor, the uneducated, and the elderly. Explain why these people are so vulnerable to scams and oppression. Compare the scam artists who bilked LaJoe out of her deposit money for a new house to the corrupt politicians who allowed the projects to fall victim of disrepair and lawlessness. Include examples of whole political systems which allow starvation and genocide to go on among their people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the exploitation of children. Begin with the need for Lafeyette to grow old before his time. Expand that theme to child soldiers and sweatshop laborers. Discuss how and why this exploitation happens to children all over the world.
Essay Topic 3
Using Jimmie Lee as an example, write an essay on America's prison system. Discuss how incarceration more often than not turns out hardened criminals who earn their rank while in prison. Give your suggestions of how the prison system might be improved so that inmates are really rehabilitated.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)