|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
2. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
3. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
4. What does the young man do with Lafeyette?
5. Why does Lafeyette not want to play basketball with the project boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
2. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
3. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
4. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
5. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
6. How do the boys sometimes make money?
7. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
8. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
9. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
10. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about political and criminal abuse of the poor, the uneducated, and the elderly. Explain why these people are so vulnerable to scams and oppression. Compare the scam artists who bilked LaJoe out of her deposit money for a new house to the corrupt politicians who allowed the projects to fall victim of disrepair and lawlessness. Include examples of whole political systems which allow starvation and genocide to go on among their people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" of the world. Express what you see as the responsibility of those with affluence toward those who live in desperation. Give some suggestions of how the disparity might be alleviated.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)