|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
2. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
3. What is Pharoah entered in at school?
4. What prison sentence was given to Jimmie Lee?
5. What does Lafeyette fantasize about having in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
2. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
3. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
4. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
5. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
6. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
7. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
8. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
9. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
10. Describe Pharoah's problem that gets him eliminated from the spelling bee.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the value of hope in life. Explain why it is important for people to believe figuratively in the gold and leprechauns at the end of the rainbow. What is the value of life without hope? Do you see it as logical that people who have no hope also have no sense of moral responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
Essay Topic 3
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)