|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
2. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
3. Where does Bird Leg get food for his pets?
4. What is going on when Pharoah and the triplets come home from school three days after Lafeyette's birthday?
5. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
2. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
3. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
4. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
5. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
6. How do the boys sometimes make money?
7. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
8. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
9. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
10. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twenty years after the events in 1989 involving Pharoah and his drive for an education, America elected its first African-American President who, interestingly, got his first job working in the Chicago housing projects. Write an essay about how young people like Pharoah began seeing greater opportunities during the last two decades.
Essay Topic 2
Now that you have read the book, THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE, write a paper about what you now know about the lives of people living in poverty. Why is the gang culture so prevalent in slum areas and ghettos? Discuss whether your attitudes have been altered about people living in poverty.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on pacifism. Starting with Pharoah who avoids physical conflict and often goes to his secret place where he feels safe, discuss the idea that pacifism has the advantage of not escalating conflict. You may want to mention Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in your paper. Show how pacifism is not the same thing as weakness.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)