|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
2. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
3. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
4. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
5. What do Lafeyette and Pharoah want from Terrence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unfortunate coincidence involving Craig Davis and the police?
2. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
3. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
4. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
5. Why does Terrence agree to participate in an armed robbery?
6. What are some of the improvements Vincent Lane is able to make in the projects?
7. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
8. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
9. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
10. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
Essay Topic 1
Using LaJoe, Dawn, and LaShawn as examples, write a paper on the problem of teenage pregnancy. Discuss why it happens and why efforts to prevent teen pregnancies have not been all that successful. Discuss the other problems these young women face after their first child is born. Give your ideas of how the problem might be addressed.
Essay Topic 2
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled "Kick the Dog." Begin with a story about a man who was harassed at work all day. When he comes home, the dog greets him with its tail wagging. The man, unable to fight back at work, takes his anger out by kicking the innocent dog. Using LaJoe and Lafeyette as examples, write your paper about how people often take out their frustrations of innocent and often helpless people.
This section contains 1,845 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)