|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last word Pharoah is given to spell?
2. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
3. How has Lafeyette's attitude toward Rickey changed?
4. Why does LaJoe hope that Dawn is successful?
5. Who wants to know if Pharoah's cousin Dede will go out with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
2. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
3. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
4. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
5. How do the boys sometimes make money?
6. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
7. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
8. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
9. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
10. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
Essay Topic 2
Using LaJoe, Dawn, and LaShawn as examples, write a paper on the problem of teenage pregnancy. Discuss why it happens and why efforts to prevent teen pregnancies have not been all that successful. Discuss the other problems these young women face after their first child is born. Give your ideas of how the problem might be addressed.
Essay Topic 3
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)