|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
2. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
3. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
4. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
5. What happens to LaJoe at the welfare meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
2. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
3. Describe Pharoah's problem that gets him eliminated from the spelling bee.
4. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
5. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
6. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
7. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
8. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
9. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
10. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Jimmie Lee as an example, write an essay on America's prison system. Discuss how incarceration more often than not turns out hardened criminals who earn their rank while in prison. Give your suggestions of how the prison system might be improved so that inmates are really rehabilitated.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of THERE ARE NO CHILDREN HERE. Discuss such things as the objectivity of the author, the examples he uses in the book, and what you think his purpose was in writing the book. Be sure to include your evaluation of the value in reading the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled "Society's Forgotten People." In addition to the example of the Rivers family, mention other groups of people our society fails. In the essay, discuss how people are measured by the amount of material things they possess and the money they have in the bank and in investments.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)