Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bird Leg killed?
2. Who did LaJoe meet at a dance hall when she was only thirteen, pretending to be sixteen?
3. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
4. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
5. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a policeman treat Lafeyette in the stadium parking lot?
2. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
3. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
4. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
5. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
6. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
7. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
8. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
9. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
10. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
Essay Topic 1
Using LaJoe, Dawn, and LaShawn as examples, write a paper on the problem of teenage pregnancy. Discuss why it happens and why efforts to prevent teen pregnancies have not been all that successful. Discuss the other problems these young women face after their first child is born. Give your ideas of how the problem might be addressed.
Essay Topic 2
Using Jimmie Lee as an example, write an essay on America's prison system. Discuss how incarceration more often than not turns out hardened criminals who earn their rank while in prison. Give your suggestions of how the prison system might be improved so that inmates are really rehabilitated.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)