|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does LaJoe hope that Dawn is successful?
2. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
3. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
4. Who is LaJoe's one hope of having a child graduate from high school and go on to college?
5. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pharoah's problem that gets him eliminated from the spelling bee.
2. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
3. How do the boys sometimes make money?
4. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
5. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
6. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
7. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
8. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
9. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
10. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the value of hope in life. Explain why it is important for people to believe figuratively in the gold and leprechauns at the end of the rainbow. What is the value of life without hope? Do you see it as logical that people who have no hope also have no sense of moral responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of experience and education. Start with Pharoah who knew from reading that there is supposed to be gold or leprechauns at the end of a rainbow but had never seen one. Discuss in your paper how book study and experience are both part of becoming educated.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on uniforms in gangs. Use Kotlowitz's description of the uniform identities of the Vice Lords. Compare that to uniforms adopted by schools, social institutions, and the military. Explain to what extent the purpose of the uniform is the same and to what extent it is different in these various organization.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)