|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
2. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
3. How does James say they will all die?
4. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
5. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
2. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
3. Why does Pharoah stay up all night on December 30th?
4. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
5. How do Pharoah and Lafeyette happen to run into Rickey on their way for a treat?
6. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
7. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
8. How do the boys sometimes make money?
9. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
10. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
Essay Topic 1
Using Jimmie Lee as an example, write an essay on America's prison system. Discuss how incarceration more often than not turns out hardened criminals who earn their rank while in prison. Give your suggestions of how the prison system might be improved so that inmates are really rehabilitated.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of "Living in Fear." Beginning with the constant shootings and murders in the Chicago projects, expand that subject to other examples of people living in fear. Write about living in fear in ones own family because of an abusive family member. Also include examples like countries where genocide is a common practice and people of certain ethnic or tribal identities are in constant fear of being slaughtered.
Essay Topic 3
Beginning with the positive influence Diana Barone had on Pharoah, write an essay about a particular teacher who inspired and influenced you. Be specific about things that teacher said and did which inspired you to be better at something. Maybe it was not scholastic excellence but some other aspect of your life the teacher impacted.
This section contains 1,939 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)