|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the luxury home with a marble staircase, sunken tub and Jacuzzi?
(a) Mayor Daly
(b) the Playboy Club
(c) a family of drug runners
(d) the Chicago Mafia
2. What does Pharoah see that makes him stutter again?
(a) a murder
(b) an elephant
(c) a police car
(d) a rainbow
3. Why is Pharoah worried that even if he achieves a high school diploma, he will not be able to get out of the projects?
(a) Everyone will think he forged the diploma.
(b) Dawn has been unable to escape.
(c) His brother in prison will alarm people.
(d) There will only be poor jobs available for blacks.
4. Why does Pharoah dress up one spring morning?
(a) for good luck on his exams
(b) to go to a funeral
(c) to date Clarise
(d) for his spelling bee
5. When does Lafeyette lose another friend who dies in a car accident during a police chase?
(a) two days after Craig's funeral
(b) a month later that same spring
(c) the same day Craig is shot
(d) a week after Craig's funeral
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Clarise?
2. What position had LaJoe's mother held when LaJoe was a child?
3. How does Lafeyette dress for Craig's funeral?
4. Who are Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
5. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lafeyette put in charge of the children and what is his behavior like?
2. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
3. What are some of the improvements Vincent Lane is able to make in the projects?
4. What does Rickey do that displeases LaJoe?
5. Why does Terrence agree to participate in an armed robbery?
6. What is it about public defender Anne Rhodes that Lafeyette does not understand?
7. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
8. When Pharoah and Porkchop go to visit Dawn, what is her condition?
9. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
10. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)