|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Boys Club program, what is the response to the question, "Don't you live your country?"
(a) The applause is deafening and Pharoah gets a headache.
(b) Everyone stands and puts their hands over their hearts.
(c) There is dead silence in the stands.
(d) The crowd roars "no", drowning out Pharoah's quiet "yes."
2. When does Lafeyette lose another friend who dies in a car accident during a police chase?
(a) a month later that same spring
(b) two days after Craig's funeral
(c) the same day Craig is shot
(d) a week after Craig's funeral
3. Who threatens to bash LaJoe's head in because she ignores his flirtations?
(a) Keith, a man in his late forties
(b) the man who collects the rent
(c) a policeman
(d) Pharoah's new male teacher
4. How does LaJoe see to it that the children have a good Christmas?
(a) by playing cards to win money at night
(b) by borrowing money from her mother
(c) by putting gifts on layaway for months
(d) by using her benefit money
5. What does Pharoah put on and spend thirty minutes grooming himself before the party?
(a) a green shorts set
(b) a new blue suit
(c) a new Blackhawks jacket
(d) a white jogging suit
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes up Rickey's gang?
2. What is Lafeyette beginning to look like at the age of thriteen?
3. What does Pharoah decide to clean to get out of Lafeyette's way?
4. Why is Pharoah worried that even if he achieves a high school diploma, he will not be able to get out of the projects?
5. What causes one boy in Rickey's gang to get shot accidentally in the arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What improvements are made to the apartment in the summer of 1989?
2. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
3. Describe Lafeyette's brush with the law that gets him arrested.
4. What does Gwen Anderson tell the CHA about the basement?
5. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
6. What is it about public defender Anne Rhodes that Lafeyette does not understand?
7. Why is Lafeyette put in charge of the children and what is his behavior like?
8. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
9. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
10. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)