|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lafeyette dislike his public defender?
(a) He never looks at Lafeyette.
(b) She has no time to listen to him.
(c) She is tall and intimidating.
(d) He looks like Mr. Graves.
2. Why does LaJoe want to try and move away from Horner?
(a) so that the children can go to a better school
(b) so the police cannot find Lafeyette
(c) so that she can find a job
(d) so Terrence won't have to return to Horner
3. What has Terrence accomplished in prison?
(a) earned a high school equivalency
(b) learned a new trade
(c) learned to read and write
(d) become a professional wrestler
4. What does the teacher, Mr. Rogers, promise the class if either Clarise or Pharoah wins the spelling bee?
(a) a party
(b) extra credit
(c) no homework
(d) a movie
5. What is clear about the judge in Lafeyette's hearing at Juvenile Detention?
(a) He is tired and wants to go home.
(b) He doesn't believe Lafeyette's version of events.
(c) He is prejudiced against black juveniles.
(d) He is kind and understanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pharoah worried that even if he achieves a high school diploma, he will not be able to get out of the projects?
2. What are the results of Vance Lane's efforts at CHA?
3. What does Rickey call his new gang?
4. How does Craig Davis earn his living?
5. What is Lafeyette beginning to look like at the age of thriteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
2. Who is Vince Lane and what does he hope to accomplish?
3. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
4. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
5. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
6. Describe Lafeyette's brush with the law that gets him arrested.
7. Describe what Pharoah sees as the boys are eating their food outside the Main Street hot dog stand.
8. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
9. What is the special fear of Pharoah?
10. What happens at the hearing in spite of Anne Rhodes' telling the judge she does not think Lafeyette is guilty?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)