|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lafeyette drop out of Providence-St. Mel?
(a) because he finds the work too challenging
(b) because the Horner boys make fun of him
(c) because he misses his public school friends
(d) because he is ashamed of his clothes
2. What are they all talking abut when Pharoah runs home to tell about his win?
(a) about Craig's death
(b) about the plumbing
(c) about the weather
(d) about Leila Mae's accident
3. What causes one boy in Rickey's gang to get shot accidentally in the arm?
(a) Rickey stumbles and the gun goes off accidentally.
(b) They are playing Russian roulette.
(c) They think the gun is not loaded.
(d) They are high on marijuana.
4. How does Craig Davis earn his living?
(a) as a Boys Club counselor
(b) as a stock boy for a stationery company
(c) as a teacher
(d) as a gun dealer
5. What does Pharoah put on and spend thirty minutes grooming himself before the party?
(a) a new Blackhawks jacket
(b) a white jogging suit
(c) a green shorts set
(d) a new blue suit
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the luxury home with a marble staircase, sunken tub and Jacuzzi?
2. Why are LaJoe and Lafeyette waiting in a room at the detention center?
3. How does LaJoe see to it that the children have a good Christmas?
4. Why doesn't LaJoe take Lafeyette downtown to see the holiday window decorations?
5. Under what condition will the truck owner drop the charges against the five boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the improvements Vincent Lane is able to make in the projects?
2. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
3. How do Pharoah and Lafeyette happen to run into Rickey on their way for a treat?
4. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
5. How does LaJoe remember the day Terrence was sentenced since Terrence had requested that she not come to court that day?
6. What is the special fear of Pharoah?
7. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
8. What happens to Lafeyette and Pharoah in regard to their education?
9. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
10. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)