|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lafeyette want to fight his father?
(a) He thinks his father sold his puppy for drugs.
(b) He catches his father stealing LaJoe's savings.
(c) He wants his father to teach him how to win a fight.
(d) He sees his father strike LaJoe.
2. Why is Lafeyette arrested?
(a) allegedly snatching a woman's purse
(b) allegedly breaking and entering houses
(c) allegedly selling drugs
(d) allegedly breaking into a truck near the stadium
3. Why are some boys beating a man outside Horner Homes?
(a) They were trying to rob him.
(b) He was an undercover police officer.
(c) He was molesting one of the boys' cousins in a vacant apartment.
(d) He was trying to sell drugs to young children.
4. Who threatens to bash LaJoe's head in because she ignores his flirtations?
(a) the man who collects the rent
(b) Keith, a man in his late forties
(c) Pharoah's new male teacher
(d) a policeman
5. What does the teacher, Mr. Rogers, promise the class if either Clarise or Pharoah wins the spelling bee?
(a) a party
(b) no homework
(c) a movie
(d) extra credit
6. Why do the families of the boys refuse to pay damages for the truck?
(a) They don't like the truck owner.
(b) They can't afford it.
(c) They don't understand the offer.
(d) They know the boys are innocent.
7. What does Weasel give Lafeyette and Pharoah?
(a) ten dollars each
(b) two pit bull puppies
(c) new shoes
(d) two Persian cats
8. What is happening outside when Lafeyette doesn't move off the couch and continues to calmly watch television?
(b) a hail storm
(c) a police raid
(d) a fire
9. Why does Vince Lane not start right away to clean up the basements?
(a) The gangs issue death threats.
(b) He needs federal government approval.
(c) He doesn't see it as a major problem.
(d) There isn't enough funding available.
10. What is different about Terrence's appearance at the trial?
(a) His heair is all shaved off.
(b) He looked older and scared.
(c) He had been lifting weights and is now very muscular.
(d) His hair had started turning gray.
11. What does Craig do when he sees some police officers?
(a) panics and runs
(b) falls to the ground
(c) pulls out a gun
(d) holds up his hands
12. What does Lafeyette think about LaShawn?
(a) He thinks she is pregnant again.
(b) He suspects she is taking drugs again.
(c) He suspects she is working with the police.
(d) He thinks she has cancer.
13. What causes one boy in Rickey's gang to get shot accidentally in the arm?
(a) They think the gun is not loaded.
(b) Rickey stumbles and the gun goes off accidentally.
(c) They are playing Russian roulette.
(d) They are high on marijuana.
14. How does Lafeyette cope with his stress?
(b) sitting on the railroad tracks
(c) bullying his siblings
15. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
(a) Gwen Anderson
(b) LaJoe Rivers
(c) Mr. Rogers
(d) John Daly
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pharoah dress up one spring morning?
2. Why does LaJoe want to try and move away from Horner?
3. Where is Pharoah going during the summer of 1989?
4. Who is Clarise?
5. What was the result of Lafeyette's fall down some stairs?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)