|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vince Lane not start right away to clean up the basements?
(a) The gangs issue death threats.
(b) He doesn't see it as a major problem.
(c) There isn't enough funding available.
(d) He needs federal government approval.
2. Who threatens to bash LaJoe's head in because she ignores his flirtations?
(a) the man who collects the rent
(b) a policeman
(c) Keith, a man in his late forties
(d) Pharoah's new male teacher
3. When did Lafeyette start imagining about having a dog of his own?
(a) when a gang jumped him outside
(b) hanging around with Bird Leg
(c) after Craig was killed
(d) when tough Luck came with a gun
4. What can LaJoe not get a gang to stop doing near her house?
(a) throwing rockes at the windows
(b) beating a fourteen-year-old
(c) tormenting Pharoah
(d) writing grafitti on the walls
5. What is making Lafeyette nervous?
(a) his parole officer
(b) Pharoah's illness
(c) pressure on him to join Rickey's gang
(d) an upcoming court date
6. What bad dream does Pharoah have after the sentencing of his older brother?
(a) Terrence confronts a monster that is chasing him.
(b) Terrence is carried away by a vulture.
(c) Terrence is swimming in the middle of the ocean;
(d) Terrence falls from a cliff.
7. Why does Pharoah dress up one spring morning?
(a) to go to a funeral
(b) for good luck on his exams
(c) for his spelling bee
(d) to date Clarise
8. What does LaJoe resolve to do for the younger children in the future?
(a) to send them to live with her mother
(b) to get them all new shoes
(c) to take them on trips more often
(d) to keep a closer eye on them
9. When LaJoe tells Weasel, her oldest son, what the man did to her, what does Weasel do?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He takes a gun and shoots Keith.
(c) He finds Keith and beats him up.
(d) He gets his gang to beat up Keith.
10. Who fights in LaJoe's apartment while she is out?
(a) The triplets and grandmother
(b) Rickey and Lafeyette
(c) Tough Luck and Willie
(d) Terrance and Rochell
11. Why is Lafeyette arrested?
(a) allegedly breaking and entering houses
(b) allegedly snatching a woman's purse
(c) allegedly breaking into a truck near the stadium
(d) allegedly selling drugs
12. What are some of the problems at the Chicago Housing Authority?
(a) bureaucratic red tape
(b) racial prejudice and police brutality
(c) lack of finitiative and no organization
(d) terrible reputation and mismanagement issues
13. What causes one boy in Rickey's gang to get shot accidentally in the arm?
(a) Rickey stumbles and the gun goes off accidentally.
(b) They are high on marijuana.
(c) They are playing Russian roulette.
(d) They think the gun is not loaded.
14. What does Pharoah put on and spend thirty minutes grooming himself before the party?
(a) a new blue suit
(b) a new Blackhawks jacket
(c) a white jogging suit
(d) a green shorts set
15. Where does Lafeyette get Pahroah to agree to go?
(a) to visit Terrance in jail
(b) to watch cars at the stadium
(c) a nearby hot dog stand
(d) to a rock concert
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys Pharoah a hot dog at the Boys Club?
2. What does Pharoah think is at the end of the rainbow?
3. Why does Lafeyette drop out of Providence-St. Mel?
4. How does LaJoe see to it that the children have a good Christmas?
5. What are the results of Vance Lane's efforts at CHA?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)