|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bad dream does Pharoah have after the sentencing of his older brother?
(a) Terrence confronts a monster that is chasing him.
(b) Terrence falls from a cliff.
(c) Terrence is swimming in the middle of the ocean;
(d) Terrence is carried away by a vulture.
2. Who fights in LaJoe's apartment while she is out?
(a) Rickey and Lafeyette
(b) Terrance and Rochell
(c) The triplets and grandmother
(d) Tough Luck and Willie
3. What are they all talking abut when Pharoah runs home to tell about his win?
(a) about the weather
(b) about Craig's death
(c) about Leila Mae's accident
(d) about the plumbing
4. What does LaJoe resolve to do for the younger children in the future?
(a) to get them all new shoes
(b) to keep a closer eye on them
(c) to send them to live with her mother
(d) to take them on trips more often
5. What can LaJoe not get a gang to stop doing near her house?
(a) beating a fourteen-year-old
(b) tormenting Pharoah
(c) writing grafitti on the walls
(d) throwing rockes at the windows
6. At the Boys Club program, what is the response to the question, "Don't you live your country?"
(a) The crowd roars "no", drowning out Pharoah's quiet "yes."
(b) The applause is deafening and Pharoah gets a headache.
(c) Everyone stands and puts their hands over their hearts.
(d) There is dead silence in the stands.
7. When LaJoe tells Weasel, her oldest son, what the man did to her, what does Weasel do?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He finds Keith and beats him up.
(c) He gets his gang to beat up Keith.
(d) He takes a gun and shoots Keith.
8. Who do they meet on the way and invite to join them?
9. Who threatens to bash LaJoe's head in because she ignores his flirtations?
(a) Keith, a man in his late forties
(b) a policeman
(c) the man who collects the rent
(d) Pharoah's new male teacher
10. After placing second behind Clarise, what really makes Pharoah happy?
(a) Lafeyette buys him an ice cream cone.
(b) He has a blue ribbon to take home.
(c) LaJoe was there to see him.
(d) He did not stutter during the contest.
11. During the party, what does Dawn come running in to warn about?
(a) a police raid in the neighborhood
(b) a fire in the next building
(c) a riot in the streets
(d) gang activity going on in the next building
12. In May of 1989, who holds a meeting with the Henry Horner tenants association?
(a) Dawn Adams
(b) James Howard
(c) Vincent Lane
(d) Craig Davis
13. What is clear about the judge in Lafeyette's hearing at Juvenile Detention?
(a) He is kind and understanding.
(b) He is tired and wants to go home.
(c) He doesn't believe Lafeyette's version of events.
(d) He is prejudiced against black juveniles.
14. Terrence commit the crime of ______________ and faces a ten year sentence.
(a) driving under the influence
(b) armed burglary
(c) attempted murder
15. What does Pharoah put on and spend thirty minutes grooming himself before the party?
(a) a new Blackhawks jacket
(b) a green shorts set
(c) a new blue suit
(d) a white jogging suit
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Craig taken and eventually pronounced dead?
2. How is Craig killed?
3. Why doesn't LaJoe take Lafeyette downtown to see the holiday window decorations?
4. What is it that Vince Lane does not know until the Horner residents inform him?
5. What is Lafeyette beginning to look like at the age of thriteen?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)