|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does LaJoe witness that makes her put her foot down with Lafeyette?
(a) some boys selling drugs on the street
(b) some boys abducting a young girl
(c) some boys setting fire to a business
(d) some boys attempting a murder
2. Who are Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
(a) two white police officers
(b) drug enforcement officers
(c) teachers at Pharoah's school
(d) gun dealers
3. When does Lafeyette lose another friend who dies in a car accident during a police chase?
(a) a week after Craig's funeral
(b) a month later that same spring
(c) the same day Craig is shot
(d) two days after Craig's funeral
4. What is the subject of the poem Craig had written that haunts Lafeyette?
(a) about long life
(b) about life and death
(c) about good citizenship
(d) about angels
5. What was the result of Lafeyette's fall down some stairs?
(a) a fractured ankle
(b) a torn ligament
(c) a concussion
(d) a broken arm
6. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
(a) Mr. Rogers
(b) Gwen Anderson
(c) LaJoe Rivers
(d) John Daly
7. What incriminating thing had Derrick said to the truck owner at the stadium?
(a) that he would hate for anything to happen to his truck
(b) that a gang would come and and destroy the truck
(c) that the man would be sorry he turned him down
(d) that the truck would be stolen if he didn't watch it
8. Who wants to believe in magical things and be able to dream and imagine?
9. What does Pharoah see that makes him stutter again?
(a) a rainbow
(b) a murder
(c) an elephant
(d) a police car
10. What is LaJoe able at last to make?
(a) macrame wall decorations
(b) a chocolate cake
(c) a party for Dawn
(d) the last payment on used bunk beds for the children
11. What does Pharoah warn his friends about in the basement?
(a) poisonous snakes
(b) evil spirits
(c) human-headed cats
(d) vampire bats
12. Why does Pharoah dress up one spring morning?
(a) for good luck on his exams
(b) for his spelling bee
(c) to go to a funeral
(d) to date Clarise
13. How does Lafeyette cope with his stress?
(b) bullying his siblings
(c) sitting on the railroad tracks
14. At the Boys Club program, what is the response to the question, "Don't you live your country?"
(a) Everyone stands and puts their hands over their hearts.
(b) The crowd roars "no", drowning out Pharoah's quiet "yes."
(c) The applause is deafening and Pharoah gets a headache.
(d) There is dead silence in the stands.
15. What is different about Terrence's appearance at the trial?
(a) His heair is all shaved off.
(b) He had been lifting weights and is now very muscular.
(c) His hair had started turning gray.
(d) He looked older and scared.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lafeyette and Pharoah get accepted?
2. Where is Craig taken and eventually pronounced dead?
3. What are some of the problems at the Chicago Housing Authority?
4. What is Pharoah's latest interest?
5. What begins to happen to try and reduce the violence in the projects?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)