|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the teacher, Mr. Rogers, promise the class if either Clarise or Pharoah wins the spelling bee?
(a) a party
(b) no homework
(c) a movie
(d) extra credit
2. What does LaJoe pin on her sweatshirt and wear for the rest of the day?
(a) flowers given her by Pharoah
(b) a medal Pharoah won in an essay contest
(c) school pictures of her youngest children
(d) Pharoah's and the triplets' school ribbons
3. Who wants to believe in magical things and be able to dream and imagine?
4. What does LaJoe buy for them to eat downtown?
(a) hotdogs and French fries
(b) caramel apples on a stick
(c) two big bags of caramel and cheese popcorn
(d) some pink cotton candy
5. What does LaJoe resolve to do for the younger children in the future?
(a) to take them on trips more often
(b) to send them to live with her mother
(c) to get them all new shoes
(d) to keep a closer eye on them
6. What does Pharoah decide to clean to get out of Lafeyette's way?
(a) the windows
(b) the hallway
(c) the bathrooms
(d) the stove
7. Which child did LaJoe take with her to Terrence's trial?
8. How is Craig killed?
(a) run over by a train
(b) a gangland execution
(c) an automobile crash
(d) a gunshot to the head
9. What does LaJoe witness that makes her put her foot down with Lafeyette?
(a) some boys attempting a murder
(b) some boys abducting a young girl
(c) some boys setting fire to a business
(d) some boys selling drugs on the street
10. When LaJoe tells Weasel, her oldest son, what the man did to her, what does Weasel do?
(a) He finds Keith and beats him up.
(b) He takes a gun and shoots Keith.
(c) He gets his gang to beat up Keith.
(d) He calls the police.
11. What is Pharoah's latest interest?
12. Why does Lafeyette dislike his public defender?
(a) She has no time to listen to him.
(b) He never looks at Lafeyette.
(c) She is tall and intimidating.
(d) He looks like Mr. Graves.
13. When are the projects stifling hot?
(a) in the winter
(b) at night
(c) in the summer
(d) at midnight
14. What causes Gwen Anderson to vomit in the basement?
(a) the smell of rotting animal carcasses and feces
(b) the dead body of a baby
(c) a child tied up and kept down there
(d) the leakage from the sewer system
15. Why does Vince Lane not start right away to clean up the basements?
(a) The gangs issue death threats.
(b) He doesn't see it as a major problem.
(c) He needs federal government approval.
(d) There isn't enough funding available.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are LaJoe and Lafeyette waiting in a room at the detention center?
2. What does Pharoah think is at the end of the rainbow?
3. What does Pharoah warn his friends about in the basement?
4. Who owns the luxury home with a marble staircase, sunken tub and Jacuzzi?
5. Why does Pharoah dress up one spring morning?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)