|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants to believe in magical things and be able to dream and imagine?
2. In May of 1989, who holds a meeting with the Henry Horner tenants association?
(a) Craig Davis
(b) James Howard
(c) Dawn Adams
(d) Vincent Lane
3. What causes Gwen Anderson to vomit in the basement?
(a) the leakage from the sewer system
(b) the dead body of a baby
(c) the smell of rotting animal carcasses and feces
(d) a child tied up and kept down there
4. Who are Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
(a) teachers at Pharoah's school
(b) drug enforcement officers
(c) gun dealers
(d) two white police officers
5. What does the teacher, Mr. Rogers, promise the class if either Clarise or Pharoah wins the spelling bee?
(a) a party
(b) extra credit
(c) a movie
(d) no homework
6. What is Lafeyette beginning to look like at the age of thriteen?
(a) like a ghost
(b) like an old man
(c) like a wild animal
(d) like his father
7. A year later, what does Craig Davis' mother decide to do?
(a) to file a lawsuit against the ATF
(b) buy a gravestone for her son
(c) move to Alabama
(d) give her sons recordings to Lafeyette
8. What is it that Vince Lane does not know until the Horner residents inform him?
(a) the number of murders
(b) the heat in the winter
(c) the dangerous electrical wiring
(d) the condition of the basement
9. Why doesn't LaJoe take Lafeyette downtown to see the holiday window decorations?
(a) She thinks he will feel too old to do that.
(b) He is still very ill with a cough.
(c) He misbehaved that afternoon.
(d) She wants him to guard the house.
10. What is Pharoah's latest interest?
11. What does Pharoah think is at the end of the rainbow?
(a) a doorway to the future
(b) a wonderland
(c) a new place to live
(d) gold or leprechauns
12. What has Terrence accomplished in prison?
(a) become a professional wrestler
(b) learned to read and write
(c) learned a new trade
(d) earned a high school equivalency
13. What does Rickey call his new gang?
(a) the Railroad Snakes
(b) the Horner Hornets
(c) the Four Corner Hustlers
(d) the Avengers
14. Why is Lafeyette arrested?
(a) allegedly breaking and entering houses
(b) allegedly selling drugs
(c) allegedly snatching a woman's purse
(d) allegedly breaking into a truck near the stadium
15. What does Pharoah see that makes him stutter again?
(a) a rainbow
(b) a murder
(c) a police car
(d) an elephant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does LaJoe pin on her sweatshirt and wear for the rest of the day?
2. What are some of the problems at the Chicago Housing Authority?
3. What was the result of Lafeyette's fall down some stairs?
4. What is the subject of the poem Craig had written that haunts Lafeyette?
5. Why does Lafeyette dislike his public defender?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)