|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it called when a hospital sends a patient to another hospital?
(a) ambulance running
(b) patient dumping
(c) outpatient care
(d) reference managing
2. What does LaJoe pin on her sweatshirt and wear for the rest of the day?
(a) school pictures of her youngest children
(b) Pharoah's and the triplets' school ribbons
(c) a medal Pharoah won in an essay contest
(d) flowers given her by Pharoah
3. Why does Vince Lane not start right away to clean up the basements?
(a) There isn't enough funding available.
(b) The gangs issue death threats.
(c) He needs federal government approval.
(d) He doesn't see it as a major problem.
4. Why are LaJoe and Lafeyette waiting in a room at the detention center?
(a) to appeal for Terrence's release
(b) for Lafeyette's court hearing
(c) to testify in a court case
(d) to identify an accused murderer
5. Why does Pharoah dress up one spring morning?
(a) for good luck on his exams
(b) to date Clarise
(c) for his spelling bee
(d) to go to a funeral
6. What does Pharoah put on and spend thirty minutes grooming himself before the party?
(a) a new Blackhawks jacket
(b) a white jogging suit
(c) a new blue suit
(d) a green shorts set
7. When does Lafeyette lose another friend who dies in a car accident during a police chase?
(a) two days after Craig's funeral
(b) a month later that same spring
(c) the same day Craig is shot
(d) a week after Craig's funeral
8. What is the subject of the poem Craig had written that haunts Lafeyette?
(a) about angels
(b) about life and death
(c) about long life
(d) about good citizenship
9. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
(a) John Daly
(b) Gwen Anderson
(c) LaJoe Rivers
(d) Mr. Rogers
10. What is LaJoe able at last to make?
(a) a chocolate cake
(b) the last payment on used bunk beds for the children
(c) a party for Dawn
(d) macrame wall decorations
11. Why does Lafeyette drop out of Providence-St. Mel?
(a) because he is ashamed of his clothes
(b) because he finds the work too challenging
(c) because the Horner boys make fun of him
(d) because he misses his public school friends
12. At the Boys Club program, what is the response to the question, "Don't you live your country?"
(a) The applause is deafening and Pharoah gets a headache.
(b) There is dead silence in the stands.
(c) Everyone stands and puts their hands over their hearts.
(d) The crowd roars "no", drowning out Pharoah's quiet "yes."
13. Where is Pharoah going during the summer of 1989?
(a) to the University of Illinois
(b) to summer camp
(c) to the Boys Club
(d) to a farm in the country
14. What does LaJoe witness that makes her put her foot down with Lafeyette?
(a) some boys setting fire to a business
(b) some boys abducting a young girl
(c) some boys attempting a murder
(d) some boys selling drugs on the street
15. What does Pharoah warn his friends about in the basement?
(a) human-headed cats
(b) evil spirits
(c) poisonous snakes
(d) vampire bats
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes one boy in Rickey's gang to get shot accidentally in the arm?
2. How does Lafeyette cope with his stress?
3. What does LaJoe resolve to do for the younger children in the future?
4. Where are Craig and his friends going when he comes across Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
5. When LaJoe tells Weasel, her oldest son, what the man did to her, what does Weasel do?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)