|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Gwen Anderson to vomit in the basement?
(a) the leakage from the sewer system
(b) the smell of rotting animal carcasses and feces
(c) a child tied up and kept down there
(d) the dead body of a baby
2. Why does Vince Lane not start right away to clean up the basements?
(a) The gangs issue death threats.
(b) There isn't enough funding available.
(c) He doesn't see it as a major problem.
(d) He needs federal government approval.
3. What does LaJoe buy for them to eat downtown?
(a) hotdogs and French fries
(b) caramel apples on a stick
(c) some pink cotton candy
(d) two big bags of caramel and cheese popcorn
4. What does Pharoah put on and spend thirty minutes grooming himself before the party?
(a) a new blue suit
(b) a green shorts set
(c) a white jogging suit
(d) a new Blackhawks jacket
5. Why does Lafeyette dislike his public defender?
(a) She has no time to listen to him.
(b) She is tall and intimidating.
(c) He looks like Mr. Graves.
(d) He never looks at Lafeyette.
6. Why is Pharoah worried that even if he achieves a high school diploma, he will not be able to get out of the projects?
(a) Dawn has been unable to escape.
(b) There will only be poor jobs available for blacks.
(c) Everyone will think he forged the diploma.
(d) His brother in prison will alarm people.
7. What is it called when a hospital sends a patient to another hospital?
(a) ambulance running
(b) patient dumping
(c) outpatient care
(d) reference managing
8. Why does LaJoe want to try and move away from Horner?
(a) so that the children can go to a better school
(b) so that she can find a job
(c) so Terrence won't have to return to Horner
(d) so the police cannot find Lafeyette
9. How does LaJoe see to it that the children have a good Christmas?
(a) by playing cards to win money at night
(b) by using her benefit money
(c) by putting gifts on layaway for months
(d) by borrowing money from her mother
10. During the party, what does Dawn come running in to warn about?
(a) a riot in the streets
(b) a fire in the next building
(c) a police raid in the neighborhood
(d) gang activity going on in the next building
11. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
(a) John Daly
(b) Gwen Anderson
(c) Mr. Rogers
(d) LaJoe Rivers
12. What does Pharoah think is at the end of the rainbow?
(a) a wonderland
(b) gold or leprechauns
(c) a doorway to the future
(d) a new place to live
13. What does LaJoe pin on her sweatshirt and wear for the rest of the day?
(a) flowers given her by Pharoah
(b) a medal Pharoah won in an essay contest
(c) Pharoah's and the triplets' school ribbons
(d) school pictures of her youngest children
14. What is different about Terrence's appearance at the trial?
(a) He had been lifting weights and is now very muscular.
(b) His hair had started turning gray.
(c) He looked older and scared.
(d) His heair is all shaved off.
15. Who fights in LaJoe's apartment while she is out?
(a) Tough Luck and Willie
(b) Rickey and Lafeyette
(c) The triplets and grandmother
(d) Terrance and Rochell
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Craig do when he sees some police officers?
2. Which child did LaJoe take with her to Terrence's trial?
3. What is it that Vince Lane does not know until the Horner residents inform him?
4. What has changed about Lafeyette?
5. Who threatens to bash LaJoe's head in because she ignores his flirtations?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)