|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lafeyette develop a terrible cough?
(a) Because the policeman threw him in a puddle.
(b) He stays out all night in the winter.
(c) He catches it from Rickey.
(d) The open windows let in a cold winter draft.
2. When are the projects stifling hot?
(a) at night
(b) in the winter
(c) at midnight
(d) in the summer
3. Why does Lafeyette want to fight his father?
(a) He catches his father stealing LaJoe's savings.
(b) He thinks his father sold his puppy for drugs.
(c) He sees his father strike LaJoe.
(d) He wants his father to teach him how to win a fight.
4. Why are LaJoe and Lafeyette waiting in a room at the detention center?
(a) for Lafeyette's court hearing
(b) to testify in a court case
(c) to identify an accused murderer
(d) to appeal for Terrence's release
5. At the Boys Club program, what is the response to the question, "Don't you live your country?"
(a) The applause is deafening and Pharoah gets a headache.
(b) The crowd roars "no", drowning out Pharoah's quiet "yes."
(c) There is dead silence in the stands.
(d) Everyone stands and puts their hands over their hearts.
6. Where is Pharoah going during the summer of 1989?
(a) to the University of Illinois
(b) to a farm in the country
(c) to the Boys Club
(d) to summer camp
7. What does the teacher, Mr. Rogers, promise the class if either Clarise or Pharoah wins the spelling bee?
(a) no homework
(b) a movie
(c) a party
(d) extra credit
8. What does Lafeyette think about LaShawn?
(a) He thinks she is pregnant again.
(b) He thinks she has cancer.
(c) He suspects she is taking drugs again.
(d) He suspects she is working with the police.
9. Who do they meet on the way and invite to join them?
10. What does LaJoe witness that makes her put her foot down with Lafeyette?
(a) some boys setting fire to a business
(b) some boys selling drugs on the street
(c) some boys abducting a young girl
(d) some boys attempting a murder
11. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
(a) John Daly
(b) LaJoe Rivers
(c) Mr. Rogers
(d) Gwen Anderson
12. What has changed about Lafeyette?
(a) He has lost a great deal of weight.
(b) He never smiles anymore.
(c) He no longer wears hats or earrings.
(d) He refuses to care for the children.
13. Who is presiding over Terrence's trial for armed robbery?
(a) Judge Dread
(b) Judge Judy
(c) Judge Mahan
(d) Judge Roy Bean
14. What are some of the problems at the Chicago Housing Authority?
(a) terrible reputation and mismanagement issues
(b) bureaucratic red tape
(c) racial prejudice and police brutality
(d) lack of finitiative and no organization
15. Why is Pharoah worried that even if he achieves a high school diploma, he will not be able to get out of the projects?
(a) Everyone will think he forged the diploma.
(b) There will only be poor jobs available for blacks.
(c) His brother in prison will alarm people.
(d) Dawn has been unable to escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Craig taken and eventually pronounced dead?
2. What begins to happen to try and reduce the violence in the projects?
3. What is the subject of the poem Craig had written that haunts Lafeyette?
4. Why do they rarely see Rickey anymore?
5. What is the rumor going around the projects?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)