|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are some boys beating a man outside Horner Homes?
(a) They were trying to rob him.
(b) He was an undercover police officer.
(c) He was trying to sell drugs to young children.
(d) He was molesting one of the boys' cousins in a vacant apartment.
2. What is it called when a hospital sends a patient to another hospital?
(a) outpatient care
(b) patient dumping
(c) reference managing
(d) ambulance running
3. Why is Lafeyette arrested?
(a) allegedly snatching a woman's purse
(b) allegedly breaking and entering houses
(c) allegedly selling drugs
(d) allegedly breaking into a truck near the stadium
4. Where does Lafeyette get Pahroah to agree to go?
(a) a nearby hot dog stand
(b) to watch cars at the stadium
(c) to a rock concert
(d) to visit Terrance in jail
5. Why does Lafeyette want to fight his father?
(a) He thinks his father sold his puppy for drugs.
(b) He catches his father stealing LaJoe's savings.
(c) He wants his father to teach him how to win a fight.
(d) He sees his father strike LaJoe.
6. When are the projects stifling hot?
(a) at midnight
(b) in the summer
(c) at night
(d) in the winter
7. Why doesn't LaJoe take Lafeyette downtown to see the holiday window decorations?
(a) He is still very ill with a cough.
(b) She wants him to guard the house.
(c) She thinks he will feel too old to do that.
(d) He misbehaved that afternoon.
8. Who fights in LaJoe's apartment while she is out?
(a) The triplets and grandmother
(b) Terrance and Rochell
(c) Tough Luck and Willie
(d) Rickey and Lafeyette
9. Why does Lafeyette dislike his public defender?
(a) He never looks at Lafeyette.
(b) She has no time to listen to him.
(c) She is tall and intimidating.
(d) He looks like Mr. Graves.
10. Who buys Pharoah a hot dog at the Boys Club?
11. What can LaJoe not get a gang to stop doing near her house?
(a) beating a fourteen-year-old
(b) writing grafitti on the walls
(c) tormenting Pharoah
(d) throwing rockes at the windows
12. Who are Francis Higgins and Richard Marianos?
(a) gun dealers
(b) teachers at Pharoah's school
(c) drug enforcement officers
(d) two white police officers
13. Who is Clarise?
(a) Pharoah's new girlfriend
(b) Rickey's bad sister
(c) LaJoe's cousin
(d) the smartest girl in Pharoah's class
14. Why does Vince Lane not start right away to clean up the basements?
(a) The gangs issue death threats.
(b) There isn't enough funding available.
(c) He needs federal government approval.
(d) He doesn't see it as a major problem.
15. What does LaJoe buy for them to eat downtown?
(a) hotdogs and French fries
(b) some pink cotton candy
(c) two big bags of caramel and cheese popcorn
(d) caramel apples on a stick
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of Lafeyette's fall down some stairs?
2. What is different about Terrence's appearance at the trial?
3. What causes Gwen Anderson to vomit in the basement?
4. What does LaJoe pin on her sweatshirt and wear for the rest of the day?
5. In May of 1989, who holds a meeting with the Henry Horner tenants association?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)