|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are they all talking abut when Pharoah runs home to tell about his win?
(a) about the weather
(b) about the plumbing
(c) about Craig's death
(d) about Leila Mae's accident
2. Why are some boys beating a man outside Horner Homes?
(a) He was an undercover police officer.
(b) He was molesting one of the boys' cousins in a vacant apartment.
(c) He was trying to sell drugs to young children.
(d) They were trying to rob him.
3. Why do LaJoe and Rochelle decorate the apartment?
(a) a surprise birthday party for Pharoah
(b) for Christmas
(c) Terrance is coming home
(d) just to brighten up their lives
4. What are some of the problems at the Chicago Housing Authority?
(a) bureaucratic red tape
(b) racial prejudice and police brutality
(c) lack of finitiative and no organization
(d) terrible reputation and mismanagement issues
5. Who wants to believe in magical things and be able to dream and imagine?
6. What position had LaJoe's mother held when LaJoe was a child?
(a) delegate to the Democratic National Convention
(b) the precinct captain for the Democratic Party
(c) Voting registrar
(d) County Clerk
7. In May of 1989, who holds a meeting with the Henry Horner tenants association?
(a) Craig Davis
(b) Dawn Adams
(c) Vincent Lane
(d) James Howard
8. Where do Lafeyette and Pharoah get accepted?
(a) in a University of Illinois pilot program
(b) as members of the Boy Scouts
(c) into the Zion Baptist church choir
(d) in a private parochial school named Providence-St. Mel
9. What does Weasel give Lafeyette and Pharoah?
(a) ten dollars each
(b) two Persian cats
(c) two pit bull puppies
(d) new shoes
10. Why do the families of the boys refuse to pay damages for the truck?
(a) They know the boys are innocent.
(b) They can't afford it.
(c) They don't like the truck owner.
(d) They don't understand the offer.
11. Why does Lafeyette dislike his public defender?
(a) She has no time to listen to him.
(b) She is tall and intimidating.
(c) He never looks at Lafeyette.
(d) He looks like Mr. Graves.
12. Who fights in LaJoe's apartment while she is out?
(a) Tough Luck and Willie
(b) Rickey and Lafeyette
(c) Terrance and Rochell
(d) The triplets and grandmother
13. What is the subject of the poem Craig had written that haunts Lafeyette?
(a) about angels
(b) about life and death
(c) about good citizenship
(d) about long life
14. What can LaJoe not get a gang to stop doing near her house?
(a) tormenting Pharoah
(b) writing grafitti on the walls
(c) beating a fourteen-year-old
(d) throwing rockes at the windows
15. What does LaJoe resolve to do for the younger children in the future?
(a) to get them all new shoes
(b) to take them on trips more often
(c) to send them to live with her mother
(d) to keep a closer eye on them
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pharoah admit is his greatest fear?
2. Who is the newly appointed housing manager of Horner Homes?
3. What does Craig do when he sees some police officers?
4. How does Lafeyette dress for Craig's funeral?
5. What does Pharoah warn his friends about in the basement?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)