|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the boys hurry home from the tracks as the sun goes down?
(a) the area is too dangerous at night
(b) their parents will be worried
(c) a train is coming
(d) they might get lost
2. What is going on when Pharoah and the triplets come home from school three days after Lafeyette's birthday?
(a) a surprise party
(b) a family reunion
(c) painting the apartment
(d) a gun battle
3. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
(a) the cartoons
(b) the space movies
(c) the video machines
(d) the Wrestle Mania movies
4. Who wants to know if Pharoah's cousin Dede will go out with him?
(a) Jimmie Lee
(b) James Howard
5. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
6. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
(b) a policeman standing at the front door
(c) a manager pretending to be a customer
(d) a security camera in the back room
7. What gives Pharoah a headache at the jail?
(a) the clanging of doors
(b) a siren
(c) the guard's whistle
(d) a couple arguing
8. Why is Lafeyette against the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) He knows that Rickey is a thief.
(b) He worries that Rickey will take his place with Pharoah.
(c) He worries that Rickey will lead Pharoah into trouble.
(d) He thinks someone is out to kill Rickey.
9. Who is LaJoe's one hope of having a child graduate from high school and go on to college?
10. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
(a) his homework
(b) a crowbar
(c) a dead cat
(d) two goldfish
11. What are two main threats to the safety of Lafeyette and Pharoah at the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) gun battles and gang influences
(b) trains and busses
(c) rats and snakes
(d) food and education
12. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
(d) Lila Mae
13. Why do Lafeyette and Rickey refuse to take Pharoah back to the railroad tracks?
(a) they have lost their interest in finding snakes
(b) more rumors spread about the dangers in the area
(c) they think Pharoah is too young to hang out with
(d) they think they are too old to play there anymore
14. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
(a) in an orphanage
(b) in another housing project
(c) two flights up with her grandmother
(d) in a white foster home
15. What makes Pharoah feel uncomfortable on Chicago Avenue?
(a) Too many policemen are walking around.
(b) The boys talk about shoplifting.
(c) People look at them as dirty Horner boys.
(d) The traffic scares him when they cross the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
2. What occurs with LaShawn and her two children, boyfriend, and boyfriend's brother ?
3. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
4. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
5. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)