|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many inmates was the Cook County jail built to house?
(a) seven thousand
(b) twelve hundred
(c) seven hundred
(d) three thousand
2. Who wants to know if Pharoah's cousin Dede will go out with him?
(a) James Howard
(d) Jimmie Lee
3. What does the racist policeman say to Lafeyette at the stadium?
(a) You black kids are all pushing dope.
(b) There's no room for black trash here.
(c) Black kids all belong to gangs.
(d) The white people don't have money to give to niggers.
4. What can Pharoah do in his secret place?
(a) play with puppies
(b) watch the girls jump rope
(c) clear his mind of everything there
(d) practice his spelling
5. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
(a) in an orphanage
(b) in another housing project
(c) two flights up with her grandmother
(d) in a white foster home
6. What did a friend do for the family?
(a) bought some groceries
(b) bailed Terrence out of jail
(c) helped LaJoe get her welfare back
(d) gave Lafeyette a job
7. Why does LaJoe send the boys to stay with her mother a few miles west?
(a) to help her mother
(b) to let her oldest daughter return home
(c) to lower her food bill
(d) for their safety
8. Why does Pharoah love school?
(a) He likes to be with the girls.
(b) It is a safe place where he can excel without fear.
(c) It is his chance to get out of the projects.
(d) He gets a free breakfast at school.
9. Who is LaJoe's one hope of having a child graduate from high school and go on to college?
10. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
11. Why do the boys hurry home from the tracks as the sun goes down?
(a) a train is coming
(b) they might get lost
(c) the area is too dangerous at night
(d) their parents will be worried
12. When another person is killed, why do Lafeyette and Pharoah refuse to go to the funeral?
(a) They did not like the dead boy.
(b) They had nothing good to wear.
(c) They had made plans to go to the tracks.
(d) They are still raw from Bird Leg's funeral.
13. What makes Pharoah feel uncomfortable on Chicago Avenue?
(a) Too many policemen are walking around.
(b) People look at them as dirty Horner boys.
(c) The boys talk about shoplifting.
(d) The traffic scares him when they cross the street.
14. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
(b) a security camera in the back room
(c) a policeman standing at the front door
(d) a manager pretending to be a customer
15. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
(a) break and run
(b) smash and grabs
(c) break and take
(d) hit and run
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
2. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
3. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
4. What is Pharoah entered in at school?
5. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)