|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last word Pharoah is given to spell?
2. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
3. What makes Pharoah feel uncomfortable on Chicago Avenue?
(a) Too many policemen are walking around.
(b) People look at them as dirty Horner boys.
(c) The traffic scares him when they cross the street.
(d) The boys talk about shoplifting.
4. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
(a) Several boys have been murdered for their jackets.
(b) It has a big hole in it.
(c) The logo is almost falling off.
(d) It is old and faded.
5. Who is the one person with whom Pharoah is comfortable?
(a) the triplets
(b) his cousin Porkchop
(c) his mother LaJoe
(d) his brother Lafeyette
6. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his limp
(b) his nightmares
(c) his stutter
(d) his lisp
7. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He has no trouble breathing.
(b) He sits on the front row.
(c) He makes everyone laugh.
(d) He stutters less.
8. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
(a) the rat
(b) a liar
(c) the lucky one
(d) the miracle child
9. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
(a) wash cars while attendees watch the games
(b) collect empty drink cans to recycle
(c) offer to protect parked cars for game attendees
(d) help park cars
10. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
(a) break and run
(b) hit and run
(c) smash and grabs
(d) break and take
11. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) Rickey saves Pharoah from getting hit by a bus.
(b) Rickey starts dating Pharoah's cousin.
(c) Rickey punches a bully who had been picking on Pharoah.
(d) Rickey gives Pharoah his lunch money.
12. Where does Pharoah go with Lafeyette and Rickey and some other friends?
(a) the the top of Horner Homes
(b) to the museum of modern art
(c) to visit Bird Leg's grave
(d) window shopping at discount stores on Chicago Avenue
13. What becomes stressful to LaJoe to the point of sleepless nights and severe headaches?
(a) Pharoah's running away
(b) too many gun battles
(c) so many people in the house
(d) drug abuse
14. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
(a) get married
(b) drop out of school
(c) graduate from Crane High School
(d) have another baby
15. What happens to LaJoe at the welfare meeting?
(a) Her benefits are cut off.
(b) She is taken to the hospital.
(c) Her children are removed.
(d) She is taken to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Urica's testimony, how long does it take the jury to find Lawrence Jackson guilty of murder?
2. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
3. What happened to LaJoe's older sister?
4. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
5. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)