|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He stutters less.
(b) He has no trouble breathing.
(c) He makes everyone laugh.
(d) He sits on the front row.
2. When does Pharoah realize something is wrong?
(a) when the electricity is shut off
(b) when LaJoe doesn't come home with groceries as usual
(c) when Lafeyette starts talking about joining a gang
(d) when they start eating a lot of peanut butter sandwiches
3. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
(a) comic books and candy
(b) fresh fruit and popsicles
(c) small plastic toy filled with candy
(d) candy and chewing gum
4. Why does Pharoah love school?
(a) He likes to be with the girls.
(b) It is a safe place where he can excel without fear.
(c) He gets a free breakfast at school.
(d) It is his chance to get out of the projects.
5. What does the young man do with Lafeyette?
(a) plays basketball with him
(b) collects snakes
(c) teaches him the guitar
(d) shows him how to deejay
6. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
(c) Lila Mae
7. How old was LaJoe when she first came to the Henry Horner Projects?
8. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
9. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
(a) the Wrestle Mania movies
(b) the cartoons
(c) the video machines
(d) the space movies
10. What does the racist policeman say to Lafeyette at the stadium?
(a) The white people don't have money to give to niggers.
(b) There's no room for black trash here.
(c) You black kids are all pushing dope.
(d) Black kids all belong to gangs.
11. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
(a) because he is outgrowing it
(b) because of the quiet after Jimmie Lee's conviction
(c) because he feels safe with Terrance at home
(d) because he seldom speaks anymore
12. Why does Lafeyette not want to play basketball with the project boys?
(a) They are all older than he is.
(b) They might try to recruit him into a gang.
(c) They play too rough.
(d) They cheat.
13. How many inmates was the Cook County jail built to house?
(a) twelve hundred
(b) three thousand
(c) seven hundred
(d) seven thousand
14. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
(a) a dead cat
(b) his homework
(c) a crowbar
(d) two goldfish
15. Why does LaJoe hope that Dawn is successful?
(a) so she can reform Terrance
(b) so her children can see the benefits of a diploma
(c) so she won't come begging for help
(d) so Pharoah can do even better than Dawn
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the vacancy rate at Horner increase?
2. What occurs with LaShawn and her two children, boyfriend, and boyfriend's brother ?
3. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
4. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
5. Why do the police take the boys close to their home and drop them off with a stern warning?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)