|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) a manager pretending to be a customer
(b) a security camera in the back room
(c) a policeman standing at the front door
(d) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
2. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
(b) hunting for snakes
(c) hopping a moving box car
(d) walking on the railroad ties
3. Why did the vacancy rate at Horner increase?
(a) an increase in the number of murders
(b) old people kept dying off
(c) rumors of planned gentrification
(d) a typhoid outbreak
4. What occurs with LaShawn and her two children, boyfriend, and boyfriend's brother ?
(a) They are all killed in a gang war.
(b) They all move into the Rivers' apartment.
(c) They help LaJoe move out of Horner.
(d) They steal LaJoe's food stamps.
5. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
(a) talking about how he is going to change
(b) complaining about the other inmates
(c) lecturing Lafeyette to stay in school and out of trouble
(d) making a list of things for LaJoe to bring him
6. Why can LaJoe not defend herself well against the accusations?
(a) She has no transportation to the hearing.
(b) She has no education.
(c) She is too timid.
(d) She is guilty.
7. When another person is killed, why do Lafeyette and Pharoah refuse to go to the funeral?
(a) They did not like the dead boy.
(b) They had nothing good to wear.
(c) They had made plans to go to the tracks.
(d) They are still raw from Bird Leg's funeral.
8. What happened to LaJoe's older sister?
(a) She got bone cancer and died.
(b) She got pregnant and ran away.
(c) She was murdered.
(d) She became a prostitute.
9. Bird Leg's cousin, Rickey, is full of rage. Why?
(a) He is always getting beat up.
(b) He is abused by a teacher.
(c) He witnessed Bird Leg's death.
(d) He cannot get into the gang.
10. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
(a) collect empty drink cans to recycle
(b) help park cars
(c) offer to protect parked cars for game attendees
(d) wash cars while attendees watch the games
11. Where does Pharoah want Lafeyette to take him?
(a) downtown Chicago
(b) to the railroad tracks
(c) up to Canada
(d) to the school year
12. What is keeping Pharoah out of school?
(a) fear of gang members
(b) nothing to wear
(c) a serious case of measels
(d) a teacher's strike that lingers for weeks
13. Where do the larger boys play when they visit the railway tracks?
(a) on the tracks
(b) under a box car
(c) in the tall weeds
(d) in an empty box car
14. What can Pharoah do in his secret place?
(a) watch the girls jump rope
(b) practice his spelling
(c) play with puppies
(d) clear his mind of everything there
15. What did a friend do for the family?
(a) bought some groceries
(b) bailed Terrence out of jail
(c) helped LaJoe get her welfare back
(d) gave Lafeyette a job
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
2. How do Lafeyette and Pharoah refer to the escalating gang wars and gun battles?
3. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
4. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
5. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)