|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Pharoah do in his secret place?
(a) play with puppies
(b) practice his spelling
(c) clear his mind of everything there
(d) watch the girls jump rope
2. What does Terrance claim loudly?
(a) that he is innocent of the crime
(b) that he will break out
(c) that the guards beat him
(d) that the food is terrible
3. What is the last word Pharoah is given to spell?
4. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
(a) get married
(b) drop out of school
(c) graduate from Crane High School
(d) have another baby
5. Why can LaJoe not defend herself well against the accusations?
(a) She is guilty.
(b) She is too timid.
(c) She has no transportation to the hearing.
(d) She has no education.
6. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
(a) his homework
(b) a dead cat
(c) two goldfish
(d) a crowbar
7. Why does LaJoe hope that Dawn is successful?
(a) so her children can see the benefits of a diploma
(b) so Pharoah can do even better than Dawn
(c) so she can reform Terrance
(d) so she won't come begging for help
8. What accusation is brought against LaJoe?
(a) welfare fraud
(c) drug dealing
(d) child abuse
9. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
(a) lecturing Lafeyette to stay in school and out of trouble
(b) talking about how he is going to change
(c) making a list of things for LaJoe to bring him
(d) complaining about the other inmates
10. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his lisp
(b) his limp
(c) his stutter
(d) his nightmares
11. What had happened to Urica after her mother, her four-year-old sister, and her mother's boyfriend were killed?
(a) She was stabbed forty-eight times but miraculously survived
(b) She had hid under a box and the killers did not see her.
(c) She was taken to LaJoe to care for her.
(d) She went into shock and could not speak.
12. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
(a) a new suit
(b) jeans and T-shirt
(c) a white jogging suit
(d) his basketball uniform
13. How do Lafeyette and Pharoah refer to the escalating gang wars and gun battles?
(a) as the war zone
(b) as the death train
(c) as the boom box
(d) as the excitement
14. What does the racist policeman say to Lafeyette at the stadium?
(a) You black kids are all pushing dope.
(b) There's no room for black trash here.
(c) Black kids all belong to gangs.
(d) The white people don't have money to give to niggers.
15. Where does Pharoah want Lafeyette to take him?
(a) to the railroad tracks
(b) downtown Chicago
(c) up to Canada
(d) to the school year
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do LaJoe, Lafeyette, Pharoah and the triplets go to visit Terrence?
2. How has Lafeyette's attitude toward Rickey changed?
3. What happens to LaJoe at the welfare meeting?
4. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
5. What do Lafeyette and Pharoah want from Terrence?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)