|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Bird Leg killed?
(a) run over by a train
(b) eating spoiled food
(c) shot in the chest
(d) stabbed in the back
2. Who did LaJoe meet at a dance hall when she was only thirteen, pretending to be sixteen?
(a) Jimmie Lee
3. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
(a) hunting for snakes
(c) hopping a moving box car
(d) walking on the railroad ties
4. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
(a) hit and run
(b) break and run
(c) break and take
(d) smash and grabs
5. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
(a) He starts to stutter so bad that the judges cannot understand him.
(b) He gets one of his severe headaches.
(c) He suddenly needs to go to the bathroom.
(d) He spells the first four letters and then his throat closes up.
6. When does Pharoah realize something is wrong?
(a) when Lafeyette starts talking about joining a gang
(b) when the electricity is shut off
(c) when they start eating a lot of peanut butter sandwiches
(d) when LaJoe doesn't come home with groceries as usual
7. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) Rickey saves Pharoah from getting hit by a bus.
(b) Rickey punches a bully who had been picking on Pharoah.
(c) Rickey starts dating Pharoah's cousin.
(d) Rickey gives Pharoah his lunch money.
8. How does Pharoah work on his stutter?
(a) saying the words and letters slowly
(b) talking very softly
(c) using hand motions
(d) tongue twisters
9. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
(a) comic books and candy
(b) fresh fruit and popsicles
(c) small plastic toy filled with candy
(d) candy and chewing gum
10. What gives Pharoah a headache at the jail?
(a) a couple arguing
(b) a siren
(c) the clanging of doors
(d) the guard's whistle
11. What prison sentence was given to Jimmie Lee?
(a) twenty years without parole
(b) the electric chair
(c) the maximum term of thirty years
(d) life in prison
12. What occurs with LaShawn and her two children, boyfriend, and boyfriend's brother ?
(a) They steal LaJoe's food stamps.
(b) They help LaJoe move out of Horner.
(c) They are all killed in a gang war.
(d) They all move into the Rivers' apartment.
13. Where do the larger boys play when they visit the railway tracks?
(a) in an empty box car
(b) on the tracks
(c) in the tall weeds
(d) under a box car
14. With everyone moved back into the apartment, how many does LaJoe now have to feed?
(a) three adults and thirteen children
(b) four adults and six children
(c) thirteen adults and children
(d) two adults and twelve children
15. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
(d) Lila Mae
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a friend do for the family?
2. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
3. Where does Pharoah want Lafeyette to take him?
4. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
5. What are two main threats to the safety of Lafeyette and Pharoah at the Henry Horner Homes?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)