|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the larger boys play when they visit the railway tracks?
(a) in the tall weeds
(b) on the tracks
(c) under a box car
(d) in an empty box car
2. Why did the vacancy rate at Horner increase?
(a) a typhoid outbreak
(b) an increase in the number of murders
(c) rumors of planned gentrification
(d) old people kept dying off
3. What accusation is brought against LaJoe?
(a) drug dealing
(b) child abuse
(c) welfare fraud
4. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
(a) break and run
(b) break and take
(c) hit and run
(d) smash and grabs
5. How has Lafeyette's attitude toward Rickey changed?
(a) He is more suspicious of him than ever.
(b) He decides to threaten Rickey.
(c) He comes to accept him as Pharoah's friend.
(d) He never thinks of him any more.
6. What is the last word Pharoah is given to spell?
7. What do Lafeyette and Pharoah want from Terrence?
(a) the name of his gang leader
(b) him to come home
(c) the key to his foot locker
(d) a promise he will not come home
8. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
(a) the lucky one
(b) the rat
(c) the miracle child
(d) a liar
9. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
(a) the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) the Chicago riots at the Democratic convention
(c) the death of Robert Kennedy
(d) the Kent State shootings
10. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) a security camera in the back room
(b) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
(c) a policeman standing at the front door
(d) a manager pretending to be a customer
11. What has caused Pharoah to faint?
(a) getting too hot
(b) snakes at the tracks
(c) deeing Bird Leg get shot
(d) the sounds of gunfire
12. What is the name of the young man who entertains outside of Horner Homes?
(a) Craig Davis
(b) Stevie Wonder
(c) James Brown
(d) Little Richard
13. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his stutter
(b) his lisp
(c) his nightmares
(d) his limp
14. Why do the boys hurry home from the tracks as the sun goes down?
(a) a train is coming
(b) they might get lost
(c) the area is too dangerous at night
(d) their parents will be worried
15. What does the racist policeman say to Lafeyette at the stadium?
(a) Black kids all belong to gangs.
(b) You black kids are all pushing dope.
(c) The white people don't have money to give to niggers.
(d) There's no room for black trash here.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
2. Where do LaJoe, Lafeyette, Pharoah and the triplets go to visit Terrence?
3. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
4. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
5. What happens to LaJoe at the welfare meeting?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)