|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
(a) the rat
(b) the miracle child
(c) the lucky one
(d) a liar
2. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
(a) wash cars while attendees watch the games
(b) help park cars
(c) collect empty drink cans to recycle
(d) offer to protect parked cars for game attendees
3. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
(a) a white jogging suit
(b) jeans and T-shirt
(c) a new suit
(d) his basketball uniform
4. What is the nickname of the child Terrance fathered at age fourteen?
(c) Teddy Bear
5. Who is the son LaJoe is closest to but who disappoints her the most?
6. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
(a) his memory
(b) his clothes
(c) his stutter
(d) his pronunciation
7. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
(a) complaining about the other inmates
(b) lecturing Lafeyette to stay in school and out of trouble
(c) talking about how he is going to change
(d) making a list of things for LaJoe to bring him
8. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
(a) break and run
(b) smash and grabs
(c) break and take
(d) hit and run
9. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
(a) at a pet store
(b) back yards of Hispanic and white neighborhoods
(c) along the railroad tracks
(d) as gifts from friends
10. What type of person is Rickey?
(a) a small, frightened boy
(b) a bully and troublemaker in school
(c) a bookworm like Pharoah
(d) a kind boy everyoe likes
11. What is the last word Pharoah is given to spell?
12. What does Terrance claim loudly?
(a) that the guards beat him
(b) that he is innocent of the crime
(c) that he will break out
(d) that the food is terrible
13. What is going on when Pharoah and the triplets come home from school three days after Lafeyette's birthday?
(a) painting the apartment
(b) a surprise party
(c) a family reunion
(d) a gun battle
14. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
(b) walking on the railroad ties
(c) hopping a moving box car
(d) hunting for snakes
15. How has Lafeyette's attitude toward Rickey changed?
(a) He never thinks of him any more.
(b) He decides to threaten Rickey.
(c) He is more suspicious of him than ever.
(d) He comes to accept him as Pharoah's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the stadium's owners, the Wirz family, changed the character of the neighborhood?
2. Why does LaJoe hope that Dawn is successful?
3. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
4. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
5. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)