|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lafeyette not want to play basketball with the project boys?
(a) They play too rough.
(b) They are all older than he is.
(c) They might try to recruit him into a gang.
(d) They cheat.
2. What do the boys use to hunt for garter snakes?
(a) a cat
(b) railroad spikes
(d) a crowbar
3. Why do the police take the boys close to their home and drop them off with a stern warning?
(a) Mario Vera, the assistant manager, does not press charges.
(b) Mario Vera, the assistant manager, pays for the videos.
(c) Mario Vera, the assistant manager, admits he did not see them.
(d) Mario Vera, the assistant manager, demands to see their parents.
4. What is the last word Pharoah is given to spell?
5. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
(a) his homework
(b) a dead cat
(c) a crowbar
(d) two goldfish
6. Who is the teacher Lafeyette likes a great deal?
(a) Miss Walker
(b) Mrs. Markham
(c) Mrs. Everage
(d) Mr. Martin
7. Who is the one person with whom Pharoah is comfortable?
(a) his cousin Porkchop
(b) the triplets
(c) his brother Lafeyette
(d) his mother LaJoe
8. What becomes stressful to LaJoe to the point of sleepless nights and severe headaches?
(a) too many gun battles
(b) Pharoah's running away
(c) drug abuse
(d) so many people in the house
9. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
(a) the video machines
(b) the Wrestle Mania movies
(c) the space movies
(d) the cartoons
10. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) Hornets, the projects, or the 'jects
(b) the battleground
(c) the hole or the box
(d) the jail or the dump
11. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
12. What accusation is brought against LaJoe?
(a) child abuse
(c) welfare fraud
(d) drug dealing
13. Why does LaJoe send the boys to stay with her mother a few miles west?
(a) for their safety
(b) to let her oldest daughter return home
(c) to help her mother
(d) to lower her food bill
14. What is going on when Pharoah and the triplets come home from school three days after Lafeyette's birthday?
(a) painting the apartment
(b) a surprise party
(c) a gun battle
(d) a family reunion
15. What does the racist policeman say to Lafeyette at the stadium?
(a) There's no room for black trash here.
(b) The white people don't have money to give to niggers.
(c) You black kids are all pushing dope.
(d) Black kids all belong to gangs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can LaJoe not defend herself well against the accusations?
2. Who did LaJoe meet at a dance hall when she was only thirteen, pretending to be sixteen?
3. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
4. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
5. What do Lafeyette and Pharoah want from Terrence?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)