|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) a manager pretending to be a customer
(b) a policeman standing at the front door
(c) a security camera in the back room
(d) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
2. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
(a) a white jogging suit
(b) a new suit
(c) his basketball uniform
(d) jeans and T-shirt
3. Who is the teacher Lafeyette likes a great deal?
(a) Miss Walker
(b) Mr. Martin
(c) Mrs. Everage
(d) Mrs. Markham
4. How do Lafeyette and Pharoah refer to the escalating gang wars and gun battles?
(a) as the war zone
(b) as the boom box
(c) as the excitement
(d) as the death train
5. What is Pharoah entered in at school?
(a) a new PE class
(b) a mathematics contest
(c) his class spelling bee
(d) an accelerated learning class
6. Who wants to know if Pharoah's cousin Dede will go out with him?
(b) James Howard
(d) Jimmie Lee
7. With everyone moved back into the apartment, how many does LaJoe now have to feed?
(a) two adults and twelve children
(b) three adults and thirteen children
(c) thirteen adults and children
(d) four adults and six children
8. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He has no trouble breathing.
(b) He sits on the front row.
(c) He stutters less.
(d) He makes everyone laugh.
9. What happened to LaJoe's older sister?
(a) She got bone cancer and died.
(b) She was murdered.
(c) She got pregnant and ran away.
(d) She became a prostitute.
10. What is the nickname of the child Terrance fathered at age fourteen?
(c) Teddy Bear
11. What had happened to Urica after her mother, her four-year-old sister, and her mother's boyfriend were killed?
(a) She went into shock and could not speak.
(b) She had hid under a box and the killers did not see her.
(c) She was stabbed forty-eight times but miraculously survived
(d) She was taken to LaJoe to care for her.
12. How old was LaJoe when she first came to the Henry Horner Projects?
13. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
(a) his pronunciation
(b) his clothes
(c) his stutter
(d) his memory
14. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
(a) smash and grabs
(b) hit and run
(c) break and run
(d) break and take
15. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
(a) fresh fruit and popsicles
(b) candy and chewing gum
(c) comic books and candy
(d) small plastic toy filled with candy
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Pharoah a headache at the jail?
2. Where do the larger boys play when they visit the railway tracks?
3. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
4. What does Terrance claim loudly?
5. How is Bird Leg killed?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)