|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is going on when Pharoah and the triplets come home from school three days after Lafeyette's birthday?
(a) a surprise party
(b) a family reunion
(c) painting the apartment
(d) a gun battle
2. What happens to LaJoe at the welfare meeting?
(a) She is taken to jail.
(b) She is taken to the hospital.
(c) Her benefits are cut off.
(d) Her children are removed.
3. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
(a) walking on the railroad ties
(c) hopping a moving box car
(d) hunting for snakes
4. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
(a) the Kent State shootings
(b) the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) the death of Robert Kennedy
(d) the Chicago riots at the Democratic convention
5. What seriously haunts Lafeyette?
(a) Bird Leg's death
(b) school homework
(c) the boy who lost his legs
(d) the pressure to join a gang
6. What makes Pharoah feel uncomfortable on Chicago Avenue?
(a) The boys talk about shoplifting.
(b) The traffic scares him when they cross the street.
(c) People look at them as dirty Horner boys.
(d) Too many policemen are walking around.
7. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He has no trouble breathing.
(b) He stutters less.
(c) He sits on the front row.
(d) He makes everyone laugh.
8. What does Lafeyette fantasize about having in the future?
(a) a Cadillac
(b) a job so his mother doesn't have to worry
(c) a white, wood-framed house
(d) a gun to shoot gang members
9. How does James say they will all die?
(a) old age
(c) in a car wreck
(d) by killing or plain out
10. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
11. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) a security camera in the back room
(b) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
(c) a manager pretending to be a customer
(d) a policeman standing at the front door
12. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
(a) a new suit
(b) a white jogging suit
(c) jeans and T-shirt
(d) his basketball uniform
13. Who is the one person with whom Pharoah is comfortable?
(a) his mother LaJoe
(b) his cousin Porkchop
(c) the triplets
(d) his brother Lafeyette
14. How does Pharoah work on his stutter?
(a) tongue twisters
(b) using hand motions
(c) talking very softly
(d) saying the words and letters slowly
15. How many inmates was the Cook County jail built to house?
(a) three thousand
(b) seven thousand
(c) seven hundred
(d) twelve hundred
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
2. How is Bird Leg killed?
3. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
4. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
5. Why does Pharoah love school?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)