|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last word Pharoah is given to spell?
2. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
(a) as a shoplifter
(b) as a front for a gang
(c) as a witness to murder
(d) as a child prostitute
3. Why will Jimmie Lee not let Horner project boys join his gang and even warns them to stay away from drugs and gangs?
(a) because they are too young
(b) because of his love for children
(c) because the Horner boys are too undernourished
(d) because he only uses boys from other projects
4. What can Pharoah do in his secret place?
(a) practice his spelling
(b) watch the girls jump rope
(c) clear his mind of everything there
(d) play with puppies
5. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
(a) in another housing project
(b) in an orphanage
(c) in a white foster home
(d) two flights up with her grandmother
6. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) the jail or the dump
(b) Hornets, the projects, or the 'jects
(c) the hole or the box
(d) the battleground
7. Who is the one person with whom Pharoah is comfortable?
(a) his brother Lafeyette
(b) the triplets
(c) his cousin Porkchop
(d) his mother LaJoe
8. What occurs with LaShawn and her two children, boyfriend, and boyfriend's brother ?
(a) They all move into the Rivers' apartment.
(b) They help LaJoe move out of Horner.
(c) They are all killed in a gang war.
(d) They steal LaJoe's food stamps.
9. How does Pharoah work on his stutter?
(a) talking very softly
(b) using hand motions
(c) tongue twisters
(d) saying the words and letters slowly
10. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
(a) as gifts from friends
(b) at a pet store
(c) along the railroad tracks
(d) back yards of Hispanic and white neighborhoods
11. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
12. How do Lafeyette and Pharoah refer to the escalating gang wars and gun battles?
(a) as the war zone
(b) as the excitement
(c) as the boom box
(d) as the death train
13. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
(a) fresh fruit and popsicles
(b) small plastic toy filled with candy
(c) comic books and candy
(d) candy and chewing gum
14. What does the racist policeman say to Lafeyette at the stadium?
(a) There's no room for black trash here.
(b) Black kids all belong to gangs.
(c) The white people don't have money to give to niggers.
(d) You black kids are all pushing dope.
15. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
Short Answer Questions
1. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
2. Where does Pharoah want Lafeyette to take him?
3. Why did the vacancy rate at Horner increase?
4. What do Lafeyette and Pharoah want from Terrence?
5. What gives Pharoah a headache at the jail?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)