|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lafeyette fantasize about having in the future?
(a) a job so his mother doesn't have to worry
(b) a white, wood-framed house
(c) a gun to shoot gang members
(d) a Cadillac
2. Why can LaJoe not defend herself well against the accusations?
(a) She has no transportation to the hearing.
(b) She is too timid.
(c) She has no education.
(d) She is guilty.
3. Where does Pharoah go with Lafeyette and Rickey and some other friends?
(a) to the museum of modern art
(b) the the top of Horner Homes
(c) to visit Bird Leg's grave
(d) window shopping at discount stores on Chicago Avenue
4. What is the name of the young man who entertains outside of Horner Homes?
(a) James Brown
(b) Stevie Wonder
(c) Craig Davis
(d) Little Richard
5. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
(a) his clothes
(b) his pronunciation
(c) his stutter
(d) his memory
6. Who is the one person with whom Pharoah is comfortable?
(a) the triplets
(b) his mother LaJoe
(c) his cousin Porkchop
(d) his brother Lafeyette
7. With everyone moved back into the apartment, how many does LaJoe now have to feed?
(a) four adults and six children
(b) thirteen adults and children
(c) two adults and twelve children
(d) three adults and thirteen children
8. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
(a) a crowbar
(b) his homework
(c) a dead cat
(d) two goldfish
9. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) a security camera in the back room
(b) a manager pretending to be a customer
(c) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
(d) a policeman standing at the front door
10. Why do the boys hurry home from the tracks as the sun goes down?
(a) a train is coming
(b) the area is too dangerous at night
(c) their parents will be worried
(d) they might get lost
11. What is the nickname of the child Terrance fathered at age fourteen?
(d) Teddy Bear
12. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
(a) the Chicago riots at the Democratic convention
(b) the death of Robert Kennedy
(c) the Kent State shootings
(d) the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.
13. What accusation is brought against LaJoe?
(a) drug dealing
(c) welfare fraud
(d) child abuse
14. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) the battleground
(b) the jail or the dump
(c) Hornets, the projects, or the 'jects
(d) the hole or the box
15. When does Pharoah realize something is wrong?
(a) when LaJoe doesn't come home with groceries as usual
(b) when the electricity is shut off
(c) when Lafeyette starts talking about joining a gang
(d) when they start eating a lot of peanut butter sandwiches
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pharoah work on his stutter?
2. What happened to LaJoe's older sister?
3. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
4. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
5. Why does Pharoah love school?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)