|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to LaJoe's older sister?
(a) She got pregnant and ran away.
(b) She got bone cancer and died.
(c) She became a prostitute.
(d) She was murdered.
2. What has caused Pharoah to faint?
(a) snakes at the tracks
(b) deeing Bird Leg get shot
(c) getting too hot
(d) the sounds of gunfire
3. Why do the boys hurry home from the tracks as the sun goes down?
(a) a train is coming
(b) the area is too dangerous at night
(c) they might get lost
(d) their parents will be worried
4. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) the battleground
(b) Hornets, the projects, or the 'jects
(c) the hole or the box
(d) the jail or the dump
5. After Urica's testimony, how long does it take the jury to find Lawrence Jackson guilty of murder?
(a) one week
(b) one hour
(c) one day
(d) one afternoon
6. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
(a) his stutter
(b) his memory
(c) his clothes
(d) his pronunciation
7. What did a friend do for the family?
(a) helped LaJoe get her welfare back
(b) bought some groceries
(c) gave Lafeyette a job
(d) bailed Terrence out of jail
8. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) Rickey saves Pharoah from getting hit by a bus.
(b) Rickey starts dating Pharoah's cousin.
(c) Rickey gives Pharoah his lunch money.
(d) Rickey punches a bully who had been picking on Pharoah.
9. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He sits on the front row.
(b) He stutters less.
(c) He has no trouble breathing.
(d) He makes everyone laugh.
10. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
(a) He suddenly needs to go to the bathroom.
(b) He gets one of his severe headaches.
(c) He starts to stutter so bad that the judges cannot understand him.
(d) He spells the first four letters and then his throat closes up.
11. What are two main threats to the safety of Lafeyette and Pharoah at the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) food and education
(b) trains and busses
(c) rats and snakes
(d) gun battles and gang influences
12. Who did LaJoe meet at a dance hall when she was only thirteen, pretending to be sixteen?
(d) Jimmie Lee
13. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
(a) in another housing project
(b) in an orphanage
(c) two flights up with her grandmother
(d) in a white foster home
14. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
(b) a security camera in the back room
(c) a policeman standing at the front door
(d) a manager pretending to be a customer
15. Why does LaJoe send the boys to stay with her mother a few miles west?
(a) to let her oldest daughter return home
(b) for their safety
(c) to lower her food bill
(d) to help her mother
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
2. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
3. Who is LaJoe's one hope of having a child graduate from high school and go on to college?
4. When does Pharoah realize something is wrong?
5. How does James say they will all die?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)