|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Urica's testimony, how long does it take the jury to find Lawrence Jackson guilty of murder?
(a) one afternoon
(b) one day
(c) one hour
(d) one week
2. What type of person is Rickey?
(a) a bully and troublemaker in school
(b) a small, frightened boy
(c) a bookworm like Pharoah
(d) a kind boy everyoe likes
3. What does Terrance claim loudly?
(a) that he is innocent of the crime
(b) that the food is terrible
(c) that the guards beat him
(d) that he will break out
4. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
(a) jeans and T-shirt
(b) a new suit
(c) his basketball uniform
(d) a white jogging suit
5. Why is Lafeyette against the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) He thinks someone is out to kill Rickey.
(b) He knows that Rickey is a thief.
(c) He worries that Rickey will lead Pharoah into trouble.
(d) He worries that Rickey will take his place with Pharoah.
6. Who wants to know if Pharoah's cousin Dede will go out with him?
(b) James Howard
(c) Jimmie Lee
7. Who is the son LaJoe is closest to but who disappoints her the most?
8. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
(a) He spells the first four letters and then his throat closes up.
(b) He starts to stutter so bad that the judges cannot understand him.
(c) He suddenly needs to go to the bathroom.
(d) He gets one of his severe headaches.
9. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
(a) as a front for a gang
(b) as a child prostitute
(c) as a shoplifter
(d) as a witness to murder
10. What do Lafeyette and Pharoah want from Terrence?
(a) a promise he will not come home
(b) the key to his foot locker
(c) the name of his gang leader
(d) him to come home
11. Why does Lafeyette not want to play basketball with the project boys?
(a) They play too rough.
(b) They cheat.
(c) They might try to recruit him into a gang.
(d) They are all older than he is.
12. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
(b) hopping a moving box car
(c) walking on the railroad ties
(d) hunting for snakes
13. What becomes stressful to LaJoe to the point of sleepless nights and severe headaches?
(a) too many gun battles
(b) drug abuse
(c) so many people in the house
(d) Pharoah's running away
14. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
(a) Several boys have been murdered for their jackets.
(b) It is old and faded.
(c) The logo is almost falling off.
(d) It has a big hole in it.
15. What does Lafeyette fantasize about having in the future?
(a) a Cadillac
(b) a job so his mother doesn't have to worry
(c) a white, wood-framed house
(d) a gun to shoot gang members
Short Answer Questions
1. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
2. Why do the boys hurry home from the tracks as the sun goes down?
3. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
4. When another person is killed, why do Lafeyette and Pharoah refuse to go to the funeral?
5. Why does LaJoe send the boys to stay with her mother a few miles west?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)