|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Pharoah realize something is wrong?
(a) when the electricity is shut off
(b) when LaJoe doesn't come home with groceries as usual
(c) when Lafeyette starts talking about joining a gang
(d) when they start eating a lot of peanut butter sandwiches
2. What prison sentence was given to Jimmie Lee?
(a) life in prison
(b) the electric chair
(c) the maximum term of thirty years
(d) twenty years without parole
3. What is the nickname of the child Terrance fathered at age fourteen?
(a) Teddy Bear
4. Who is LaJoe's one hope of having a child graduate from high school and go on to college?
5. What do the boys use to hunt for garter snakes?
(b) a crowbar
(c) railroad spikes
(d) a cat
6. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He stutters less.
(b) He makes everyone laugh.
(c) He has no trouble breathing.
(d) He sits on the front row.
7. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
(a) because he is outgrowing it
(b) because he seldom speaks anymore
(c) because he feels safe with Terrance at home
(d) because of the quiet after Jimmie Lee's conviction
8. What is the name of the young man who entertains outside of Horner Homes?
(a) James Brown
(b) Stevie Wonder
(c) Craig Davis
(d) Little Richard
9. Why does Lafeyette not want to play basketball with the project boys?
(a) They are all older than he is.
(b) They play too rough.
(c) They might try to recruit him into a gang.
(d) They cheat.
10. Why do the boys hurry home from the tracks as the sun goes down?
(a) the area is too dangerous at night
(b) their parents will be worried
(c) a train is coming
(d) they might get lost
11. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
12. Why will Jimmie Lee not let Horner project boys join his gang and even warns them to stay away from drugs and gangs?
(a) because of his love for children
(b) because the Horner boys are too undernourished
(c) because they are too young
(d) because he only uses boys from other projects
13. Who is the one person with whom Pharoah is comfortable?
(a) his mother LaJoe
(b) the triplets
(c) his cousin Porkchop
(d) his brother Lafeyette
14. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his lisp
(b) his limp
(c) his stutter
(d) his nightmares
15. What gives Pharoah a headache at the jail?
(a) the clanging of doors
(b) a siren
(c) a couple arguing
(d) the guard's whistle
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
2. What does the young man do with Lafeyette?
3. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
4. What is Pharoah entered in at school?
5. How old was LaJoe when she first came to the Henry Horner Projects?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)