|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He makes everyone laugh.
(b) He stutters less.
(c) He has no trouble breathing.
(d) He sits on the front row.
2. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
(a) comic books and candy
(b) fresh fruit and popsicles
(c) small plastic toy filled with candy
(d) candy and chewing gum
3. What is the name of the young man who entertains outside of Horner Homes?
(a) James Brown
(b) Stevie Wonder
(c) Craig Davis
(d) Little Richard
4. How have the stadium's owners, the Wirz family, changed the character of the neighborhood?
(a) by helping homeowners paint their houses
(b) by planting trees and flowers in the neighborhood
(c) by putting up youth facilities
(d) by bulldozing homes for parking lots
5. How do Lafeyette and Pharoah refer to the escalating gang wars and gun battles?
(a) as the excitement
(b) as the war zone
(c) as the death train
(d) as the boom box
6. Why is Lafeyette against the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) He worries that Rickey will lead Pharoah into trouble.
(b) He thinks someone is out to kill Rickey.
(c) He knows that Rickey is a thief.
(d) He worries that Rickey will take his place with Pharoah.
7. What prison sentence was given to Jimmie Lee?
(a) the maximum term of thirty years
(b) the electric chair
(c) twenty years without parole
(d) life in prison
8. Why does Pharoah love school?
(a) It is his chance to get out of the projects.
(b) It is a safe place where he can excel without fear.
(c) He gets a free breakfast at school.
(d) He likes to be with the girls.
9. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his stutter
(b) his limp
(c) his lisp
(d) his nightmares
10. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
(a) his stutter
(b) his clothes
(c) his memory
(d) his pronunciation
11. With everyone moved back into the apartment, how many does LaJoe now have to feed?
(a) three adults and thirteen children
(b) four adults and six children
(c) thirteen adults and children
(d) two adults and twelve children
12. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
13. After Urica's testimony, how long does it take the jury to find Lawrence Jackson guilty of murder?
(a) one week
(b) one afternoon
(c) one hour
(d) one day
14. What seriously haunts Lafeyette?
(a) the pressure to join a gang
(b) Bird Leg's death
(c) school homework
(d) the boy who lost his legs
15. Who is Jimmie Lee?
(a) head of a drug gang called the Conservative Vice Lords whose members control Henry Horner
(b) a drug addict who terrorizes the children at Henry Horner projects.
(c) a rock and roll singer who grew up in the Henry Horner Homes
(d) a policeman who really wants to do something for the project children
Short Answer Questions
1. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
2. What occurs with LaShawn and her two children, boyfriend, and boyfriend's brother ?
3. How many inmates was the Cook County jail built to house?
4. What makes Pharoah feel uncomfortable on Chicago Avenue?
5. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)