|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
(a) wash cars while attendees watch the games
(b) help park cars
(c) offer to protect parked cars for game attendees
(d) collect empty drink cans to recycle
2. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
(a) in another housing project
(b) two flights up with her grandmother
(c) in an orphanage
(d) in a white foster home
3. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
(a) Several boys have been murdered for their jackets.
(b) It has a big hole in it.
(c) It is old and faded.
(d) The logo is almost falling off.
4. Where does Pharoah want Lafeyette to take him?
(a) downtown Chicago
(b) to the railroad tracks
(c) up to Canada
(d) to the school year
5. What happened to LaJoe's older sister?
(a) She got pregnant and ran away.
(b) She became a prostitute.
(c) She was murdered.
(d) She got bone cancer and died.
6. What are two main threats to the safety of Lafeyette and Pharoah at the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) gun battles and gang influences
(b) trains and busses
(c) rats and snakes
(d) food and education
7. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
(a) as a witness to murder
(b) as a shoplifter
(c) as a child prostitute
(d) as a front for a gang
8. Why is Lafeyette against the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) He knows that Rickey is a thief.
(b) He worries that Rickey will take his place with Pharoah.
(c) He worries that Rickey will lead Pharoah into trouble.
(d) He thinks someone is out to kill Rickey.
9. Where do LaJoe, Lafeyette, Pharoah and the triplets go to visit Terrence?
(b) the Cook County Jail
(c) the hospital
(d) the university
10. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) a policeman standing at the front door
(b) a security camera in the back room
(c) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
(d) a manager pretending to be a customer
11. What does the racist policeman say to Lafeyette at the stadium?
(a) You black kids are all pushing dope.
(b) The white people don't have money to give to niggers.
(c) There's no room for black trash here.
(d) Black kids all belong to gangs.
12. What makes Pharoah feel uncomfortable on Chicago Avenue?
(a) Too many policemen are walking around.
(b) The boys talk about shoplifting.
(c) The traffic scares him when they cross the street.
(d) People look at them as dirty Horner boys.
13. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
(a) his basketball uniform
(b) a new suit
(c) jeans and T-shirt
(d) a white jogging suit
14. Where does Bird Leg get food for his pets?
(a) left overs at home
(b) trash bins behind a Kentucky Fried Chicken
(c) dead rats in the project
(d) pet food he shoplifts
15. How is Bird Leg killed?
(a) eating spoiled food
(b) run over by a train
(c) stabbed in the back
(d) shot in the chest
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the stadium's owners, the Wirz family, changed the character of the neighborhood?
2. Why do the police take the boys close to their home and drop them off with a stern warning?
3. Where does Pharoah go with Lafeyette and Rickey and some other friends?
4. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
5. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)