|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pharoah love school?
(a) It is his chance to get out of the projects.
(b) He likes to be with the girls.
(c) It is a safe place where he can excel without fear.
(d) He gets a free breakfast at school.
2. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
(a) candy and chewing gum
(b) small plastic toy filled with candy
(c) comic books and candy
(d) fresh fruit and popsicles
3. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
(a) He suddenly needs to go to the bathroom.
(b) He spells the first four letters and then his throat closes up.
(c) He starts to stutter so bad that the judges cannot understand him.
(d) He gets one of his severe headaches.
4. What does Terrance claim loudly?
(a) that he is innocent of the crime
(b) that the food is terrible
(c) that he will break out
(d) that the guards beat him
5. What does the young man do with Lafeyette?
(a) shows him how to deejay
(b) plays basketball with him
(c) collects snakes
(d) teaches him the guitar
6. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
(a) the miracle child
(b) a liar
(c) the rat
(d) the lucky one
7. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) Rickey punches a bully who had been picking on Pharoah.
(b) Rickey saves Pharoah from getting hit by a bus.
(c) Rickey gives Pharoah his lunch money.
(d) Rickey starts dating Pharoah's cousin.
8. Why does LaJoe hope that Dawn is successful?
(a) so she can reform Terrance
(b) so Pharoah can do even better than Dawn
(c) so her children can see the benefits of a diploma
(d) so she won't come begging for help
9. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
(a) the Chicago riots at the Democratic convention
(b) the death of Robert Kennedy
(c) the Kent State shootings
(d) the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.
10. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
11. What did a friend do for the family?
(a) gave Lafeyette a job
(b) bailed Terrence out of jail
(c) helped LaJoe get her welfare back
(d) bought some groceries
12. Where do the larger boys play when they visit the railway tracks?
(a) in an empty box car
(b) on the tracks
(c) under a box car
(d) in the tall weeds
13. Why will Jimmie Lee not let Horner project boys join his gang and even warns them to stay away from drugs and gangs?
(a) because of his love for children
(b) because the Horner boys are too undernourished
(c) because they are too young
(d) because he only uses boys from other projects
14. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
(a) as his secret place
(b) as a forbidden place
(c) as a dangerous place
(d) as his worst place
15. What seriously haunts Lafeyette?
(a) the boy who lost his legs
(b) school homework
(c) Bird Leg's death
(d) the pressure to join a gang
Short Answer Questions
1. With everyone moved back into the apartment, how many does LaJoe now have to feed?
2. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
3. Bird Leg's cousin, Rickey, is full of rage. Why?
4. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
5. How does Pharoah work on his stutter?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)