|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He stutters less.
(b) He sits on the front row.
(c) He has no trouble breathing.
(d) He makes everyone laugh.
2. How does Pharoah work on his stutter?
(a) saying the words and letters slowly
(b) talking very softly
(c) using hand motions
(d) tongue twisters
3. Where does Pharoah go with Lafeyette and Rickey and some other friends?
(a) window shopping at discount stores on Chicago Avenue
(b) to visit Bird Leg's grave
(c) the the top of Horner Homes
(d) to the museum of modern art
4. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
(a) the space movies
(b) the cartoons
(c) the Wrestle Mania movies
(d) the video machines
5. What is Pharoah entered in at school?
(a) a new PE class
(b) an accelerated learning class
(c) his class spelling bee
(d) a mathematics contest
6. Who did LaJoe meet at a dance hall when she was only thirteen, pretending to be sixteen?
(a) Jimmie Lee
7. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his limp
(b) his stutter
(c) his nightmares
(d) his lisp
8. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
(a) drop out of school
(b) have another baby
(c) get married
(d) graduate from Crane High School
9. When another person is killed, why do Lafeyette and Pharoah refuse to go to the funeral?
(a) They did not like the dead boy.
(b) They had made plans to go to the tracks.
(c) They are still raw from Bird Leg's funeral.
(d) They had nothing good to wear.
10. What does Lafeyette fantasize about having in the future?
(a) a gun to shoot gang members
(b) a Cadillac
(c) a job so his mother doesn't have to worry
(d) a white, wood-framed house
11. What makes Pharoah feel uncomfortable on Chicago Avenue?
(a) The boys talk about shoplifting.
(b) The traffic scares him when they cross the street.
(c) Too many policemen are walking around.
(d) People look at them as dirty Horner boys.
12. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
(a) complaining about the other inmates
(b) lecturing Lafeyette to stay in school and out of trouble
(c) making a list of things for LaJoe to bring him
(d) talking about how he is going to change
13. How has Lafeyette's attitude toward Rickey changed?
(a) He decides to threaten Rickey.
(b) He comes to accept him as Pharoah's friend.
(c) He never thinks of him any more.
(d) He is more suspicious of him than ever.
14. What gives Pharoah a headache at the jail?
(a) a siren
(b) the clanging of doors
(c) the guard's whistle
(d) a couple arguing
15. How is Bird Leg killed?
(a) run over by a train
(b) eating spoiled food
(c) stabbed in the back
(d) shot in the chest
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
2. How do Lafeyette and Pharoah refer to the escalating gang wars and gun battles?
3. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
4. What do the boys use to hunt for garter snakes?
5. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)