|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes an authoritarian bureaucracy to pass directives from top to bottom?
2. The rediscovered native culture is often what?
3. What type of music was a reaction to colonialism after WWII?
4. The resuscitation of the native culture helps to rekindle what?
5. The resuscitation of the native culture helps to rekindle what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fanon argue that the post-colonial society should do to make the nation different and better than under colonialism?
2. What do the colonialists believe about natives? How do they view the natives?
3. What is the rediscovered native culture like?
4. How can nations bypass the problems that may occur after the revolution?
5. According to Fanon, why is there a danger that national unity will disintegrate?
6. Why do new cultural forms emerge?
7. What does the native artist or writer discover? What do they learn?
8. Why does the colonial power implement programs and reforms? What should the rebels realize about these?
9. How does the new middle class treat the farm workers?
10. What will the leader of the post-colonial revolution be like? What will the leader's aims be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Fanon's work like in Algeria? How do you think his experiences and observations there influenced this book? Why do you think he chose to write this work? Do you feel he was qualified to do so?
Essay Topic 2
According to Fanon, what is a colonial society like? Use examples from the book to help describe Fanon's view of colonial societies. What effects do colonial societies have on the citizens? Why are these consequences seen?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Fanon argue that there cannot be a single, global black culture? Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? What do post-colonial societies have in common with each other? How are they different from each other?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)