|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The authentic artist hopes to create something of value for whom?
2. The authentic artists who wants to create something for his countrymen learns the importance of what?
3. Fanon suggests that those who refuse to get involved are what?
4. What country installed a fascist government after its revolution?
5. When farmland in Algeria was turned over to farm workers, how much did the output increase?
Short Essay Questions
1. When can the beginnings of an authentic African culture begin?
2. Why does the colonial power implement programs and reforms? What should the rebels realize about these?
3. What are the three phases of the culture's development by poets and writers?
4. Why do new cultural forms emerge?
5. How can nations bypass the problems that may occur after the revolution?
6. What should those who are about to throw of colonialism realize?
7. Why is a uniform national prosperity far from a reality?
8. What things threaten the delicate veneer of national consciousness?
9. What does Fanon argue that the post-colonial society should do to make the nation different and better than under colonialism?
10. What will the leader of the post-colonial revolution be like? What will the leader's aims be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the post-colonial society need to do after the revolution to escape the old patterns of racism and exploitation, according to Fanon? Why do you think he suggests these actions as better? Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What was Fanon's work like in Algeria? How do you think his experiences and observations there influenced this book? Why do you think he chose to write this work? Do you feel he was qualified to do so?
Essay Topic 3
Fanon argues that decolonization is always a violent struggle. What factors does he base this belief on? Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? Do you think violence is always necessary for decolonization? Why or why not?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)