|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. American blacks discovered that culture is what type of phenomenon?
2. In the post-colonial world, citizens should be less concerned with royalty and more concerned with what, according to Fanon?
3. Fanon suggests that those who refuse to get involved are what?
4. How should the post-colonial nation avoid the open hostility between the masses and those in power?
5. An artistic renaissance often must be preceded by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can nations bypass the problems that may occur after the revolution?
2. When can the beginnings of an authentic African culture begin?
3. What things threaten the delicate veneer of national consciousness?
4. What will the leader of the post-colonial revolution be like? What will the leader's aims be?
5. Why does the colonial power implement programs and reforms? What should the rebels realize about these?
6. How does the new middle class treat the farm workers?
7. How can the people of Africa avoid the disintegration of national unity and the threat from the bourgeoisie?
8. How does the discovery of one's own indigenous culture affect the artist or writers?
9. According to Fanon, why is there a danger that national unity will disintegrate?
10. What should those who are about to throw of colonialism realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fanon argues that decolonization is always a violent struggle. What factors does he base this belief on? Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? Do you think violence is always necessary for decolonization? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
According to Fanon, what is a colonial society like? Use examples from the book to help describe Fanon's view of colonial societies. What effects do colonial societies have on the citizens? Why are these consequences seen?
Essay Topic 3
What is the rediscovered native culture like? What factors do you think influence this form of the culture? How does an authentic culture develop, according to Fanon? How does be-bop illustrate the new forms of expression?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)