|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the colonialists respond to the first demands for equality and dignity?
2. The post-colonial middle class expects to serve as the intermediary between which two groups?
3. Although former colonies have a potential unity, they also have what?
4. The search for an authentic Arab identify found its political articulation in what?
5. Where should the new government be seated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fanon argue that the post-colonial society should do to make the nation different and better than under colonialism?
2. How can nations bypass the problems that may occur after the revolution?
3. Why do new cultural forms emerge?
4. According to Fanon, why is there a danger that national unity will disintegrate?
5. What happens to the national political party and the militants who started the revolution?
6. How does the new middle class treat the farm workers?
7. How can the people of Africa avoid the disintegration of national unity and the threat from the bourgeoisie?
8. What is the rediscovered native culture like?
9. What things threaten the delicate veneer of national consciousness?
10. What does the native artist or writer discover? What do they learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fanon argues that decolonization is always a violent struggle. What factors does he base this belief on? Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? Do you think violence is always necessary for decolonization? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is native culture an important part of the revolution against colonialism? What changes have to take place among native artists? Why do you think native art is repressed under colonialism?
Essay Topic 3
What does the post-colonial society need to do after the revolution to escape the old patterns of racism and exploitation, according to Fanon? Why do you think he suggests these actions as better? Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)