|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fanon suggests that the act of colonization is accompanied by what?
2. Who was the colonial power in Angola?
3. What will the native people abandon once the fight for freedom begins?
4. What can carry the movement in the first few days, but not later on?
5. In what country did Belgian colonialist military forces remove rural youths from the cities in 1957?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fanon believe that dance relates to the oppression of colonialism?
2. Why do the rebel leaders flee to the countryside? What happens to the movement?
3. What actions do the leaders of the movement need to do in order to keep the movement going?
4. Where is the most spontaneous and explosive force for the revolution found, according to Fanon? Why is this?
5. How is the colonialist likely to react after the initial period of euphoria? Give an example from the reading of the reaction.
6. What obstacle do rebel leaders face in contacting the rural peasants about the movement? Why is it there?
7. What political route does Fanon encourage post-colonial societies to take instead of capitalism? Why?
8. Why is educating and indoctrinating the groups that have joined the rebellion important?
9. What should the natives remember about any concessions that they are offered?
10. Who tries to block or resist the native/rebel, according to Fanon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Fanon, what is a colonial society like? Use examples from the book to help describe Fanon's view of colonial societies. What effects do colonial societies have on the citizens? Why are these consequences seen?
Essay Topic 2
Fanon argues that decolonization is always a violent struggle. What factors does he base this belief on? Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? Do you think violence is always necessary for decolonization? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Fanon argue that there cannot be a single, global black culture? Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? What do post-colonial societies have in common with each other? How are they different from each other?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)