|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of the world did Christianity quickly take over?
2. How do Jewish people view their traditions?
3. What are the three areas of mysticism in Sufism?
4. What does Huston Smith say is the daunting task as the world grows smaller?
5. With what were the minor, or writing prophets, concerned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unique characteristic of primal oral religions?
2. Define the major difference between the Roman Catholic church and Eastern Orthodoxy.
3. What was the good news of Jesus and how was it circulated?
4. What about religions other than the historical religions from Confucianism to Christianity?
5. Tell briefly what caused the Protestant movement.
6. Is it exact to say that primal religions are all polytheistic?
7. How did the Roman Catholic church view itself from the time it became the official religion of Rome?
8. Briefly describe the origins of Islam.
9. Briefly describe Jesus as the originator of the Christian religion.
10. Identify the four major sects of the Jews during the life of Jesus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion about displaying the Ten Commandments in government offices and courts. Approach the subject from the point of view of religion as well as the point of view of a historical basis for public law. State which interpretation of the Ten Commandments seems the better for you.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about religion and pacifism. Describe the approach several different religions take toward war. Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the conflict between Christianity and the primal religions with missionaries determined to convert the heathens. Express your opinion on the effects those efforts had in terms of diminishing cultures and their religious beliefs. Explain whether you would have supported such efforts and why.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)