|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Simply put, what is the Protestant Principle?
2. What does Huston Smith say is the daunting task as the world grows smaller?
3. What passion within the Jewish people did their conquest inspire?
4. How does an Andean view the landscape?
5. What concept in Judaism changed the way God is perceived?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Jews form a different idea about the importance of history?
2. Discuss briefly the economics of Islam.
3. Briefly describe Jesus as the originator of the Christian religion.
4. Why does Huston Smith not go into any kind of comparison of the religions he writes about in the book?
5. What is the divergent ideas over the Jews as God's elect people today?
6. Define the major difference between the Roman Catholic church and Eastern Orthodoxy.
7. Briefly explain the totem of primal religions.
8. How did the Roman Catholic church view itself from the time it became the official religion of Rome?
9. What debt does Western civilization owe to Muslims?
10. How is Taoism often viewed by Westerners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on religious symbolism important to the American Indian. This will require a little research in the library or on the internet. In the essay discuss the power of symbols to preserve religion and culture.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion about the importance of religious tolerance. In your essay describe how you see the world changing if everyone accepted total freedom of choice among religions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion about displaying the Ten Commandments in government offices and courts. Approach the subject from the point of view of religion as well as the point of view of a historical basis for public law. State which interpretation of the Ten Commandments seems the better for you.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)