|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the basis for Protestant belief?
2. What does Huston Smith suggest as a better way to assess religions?
3. What are the basic concepts of Islam?
4. What does Huston Smith say about the existence of religions prior to the historical ones of the last 4,000 years?
5. What does Huston Smith say is the daunting task as the world grows smaller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Huston Smith see as the only possible solution for the world today?
2. How did Judaism portray the relationship between God and man?
3. Briefly list and explain the Five Pillars of Islam.
4. What was Muhammad's greatest contribution to the Muslim people?
5. What is the current condition among the primal religions?
6. Identify the four major sects of the Jews during the life of Jesus.
7. What was the good news of Jesus and how was it circulated?
8. How did the Jews form a different idea about the importance of history?
9. Discuss briefly the economics of Islam.
10. What about religions other than the historical religions from Confucianism to Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about religion and pacifism. Describe the approach several different religions take toward war. Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on religious symbolism important to the American Indian. This will require a little research in the library or on the internet. In the essay discuss the power of symbols to preserve religion and culture.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idea that "if there were no god, man would have invented one." From your study of the world's religions, discuss that idea in light of the different ways a Supreme Being is conceived of in various religions.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)