|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Confucius' idea about art?
(a) He believed that art put false illusions in people's minds.
(b) He believed that poetry stimulated the mind and music aroused the spirit.
(c) He thought that art was a complete waste of time and effort.
(d) He taught that philosophy was superior to art.
2. What is the objective of philosophical Taoism?
(a) Reasoning things out by questions and answers
(b) Figuring out the complexities of living
(c) Quietude that is expressed as pure effectiveness in simplicity
(d) Making something useful for all humanity
3. Why does Hinduism stress what the human mind must leave out?
(a) Because human mind is adapted to deal with the family.
(b) Because human mind is adapted to deal with the finite.
(c) Because human mind is adapted to deal with money.
(d) Because human mind is adapted to deal with the universe.
4. What is the irony of assigning god-like attributes to the Buddha?
(a) He taught that all men are gods.
(b) In his lifetime he adamantly resisted any such idea.
(c) He wanted that designation while he was alive.
(d) He was never painted or sculpted during his lifetime.
5. After pleasure seeking, what does Hinduism see as the next major life goal?
(a) Travel and culture
(b) Overcoming illness
(c) Spiritual enlightenment
(d) Worldly success
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sangha?
2. What type of yoga approaches religion on the basis of work?
3. What did Confucius believe about the authority of rulers?
4. What is the irony of Buddhism and India?
5. What is the result of seeking wealth, fame, and power?
Short Essay Questions
1. In two sentences, describe what is known about Lao Tzu.
2. What is the symbolism of the rafts in Buddhism?
3. What warning is given about the practice of raja yoga?
4. Explain something about the Atman.
5. Tell how one word came to epitomize Buddhism.
6. What is the inherent problem with perceiving the natural world according to Hinduism?
7. Why is Zen Buddhism so difficult to define in words?
8. Simply stated, how do the three approaches to Taoism come together?
9. How did the Buddha get his name?
10. Describe the last stage of spiritual awareness in Hinduism called sannyasin.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)