|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the third child that the grandmother knew who was taken by witches?
(a) She turned into stone.
(b) She turned into a chicken.
(c) She turned into a frog.
(d) She turned into a porpoise.
2. What does the narrator's grandmother say a real witch is certain to always be wearing in "How to Recognize a Witch"?
(a) A pointy hat.
(c) Spiked heels.
(d) A black cape.
3. Where did the second child that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches end up?
(a) In a painting.
(b) In a mouse-trap.
(c) In a bird sanctuary.
(d) As a statue.
4. What is the name of the manager of the Hotel Magnificent?
(a) Mr. Williams.
(b) Mr. Jenkins.
(c) Mr. Anderson.
(d) Mr. Stringer.
5. What does the Grand High Witch order her subjects to do immediately upon returning to their home towns in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
(a) To divorce their husbands.
(b) To resign from their jobs.
(c) To invest in mortgages.
(d) To begin eating children.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in "A Note About Witches" that ghouls and barghests are always what?
2. What is the name of the fourth child that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches?
3. About how old was the first of the children that was taken by the witches that the narrator's grandmother knew?
4. What is the woman on the platform wearing in "Frizzled Like a Fritter"?
5. For how long must one boil the first ingredient of Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker in order to make it soft?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do witches always wear wigs and gloves, according to the narrator's grandmother?
2. What oddities does the narrator note about the women in the Banquet hall in "The Meeting"? How does he respond?
3. What is notable about the way witches walk, according to the narrator's grandmother?
4. What happens to the witch who questions the Grand High Witch in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
5. Why does the Grand High Witch tell her subjects to quit their jobs when they return home in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
6. Why is the narrator in the Banquet hall when the women begin their meeting?
7. What are the main ingredients described in "The Recipe"?
8. Describe the narrator and protagonist of The Witches. How old is he? Where does he live?
9. What role does Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker play in the Grand High Witch's plan?
10. How does the narrator come to live with his grandmother?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)