|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "motto of all witches," according to the narrator in "A Note About Witches"?
(a) "Eat them and drink them and swallow them whole."
(b) "Hail to the Grand High Witch and may we all follow her lead."
(c) "Squish them and squiggle them and make them disappear."
(d) "Fly and dance and shout and sing until the day becomes the dream."
2. What is the name of the fourth child that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches?
(b) Bruno Jenkins.
(c) Ranghild Hansen Ranghild.
3. What color is the magical formula called "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
4. What does the Grand High Witch do after announcing her plan to her subjects in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
(a) She bursts into flames.
(b) She sings and dances.
(c) She flies around the room.
(d) She runs from the room.
5. What does the Grand High Witch's audience do after her song in "The Recipe"?
(a) They run from the room.
(b) They clap and shout.
(c) They sit silently.
(d) They burst into tears.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brown mouse tails are required to make Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker?
2. What color is a witch's spit, according to the narrator's grandmother in "How to Recognize a Witch"?
3. Where does the narrator say his father owned a business in "My Grandmother"?
4. Where did the second child that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches end up?
5. Who is the second of the children that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator and protagonist of The Witches. How old is he? Where does he live?
2. How does the narrator come to live with his grandmother?
3. What is notable about witches from different countries, according to the narrator's grandmother in "The Grand High Witch"?
4. How does the Grand High Witch respond when she encounters the narrator's mice on the podium in "The Recipe"?
5. How is the Grand High Witch's face described when she takes off her mask?
6. What role does Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker play in the Grand High Witch's plan?
7. How does the narrator's grandmother describe the Secret Society of Witches in "The Grand High Witch"?
8. Why does the Grand High Witch express anger at her subjects at the meeting in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
9. Why is the narrator in the Banquet hall when the women begin their meeting?
10. What oddities does the narrator note about the women in the Banquet hall in "The Meeting"? How does he respond?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)