|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the fifth child the grandmother describes who was taken by witches?
(a) He turned into a chicken.
(b) He turned into stone.
(c) He turned into a porpoise.
(d) He turned into a frog.
2. About how tall is the woman on the platform described in "Frizzled Like a Fritter"?
3. What is the man carrying when he comes to the narrator's grandmother's house in "The Grand High Witch"?
(a) A heavy suitcase.
(b) A briefcase.
(c) A bread basket.
(d) A grocery bag.
4. Grandma describes witches as being as bald as what in "How to Recognize a Witch"?
(a) A boiled egg.
(b) A baby.
(c) An old man.
(d) A cucumber.
5. What is the name of the fifth child that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches?
(a) Ranghild Hansen Ranghild.
(d) Bruno Jenkins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device is used in the following sentence from "A Note About Witches": "Then the witch stalks the wretched child like a hunter stalking a little bird in the forest"?
2. What does the Grand High Witch instruct her subjects to boil the tailless mice in when making Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker?
3. What does the Grand High Witch describe children as smelling like in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
4. The narrator says in "The Recipe" that the witches in the room are thinking of nothing except what?
5. Who is the third child that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Grand High Witch tell her subjects to quit their jobs when they return home in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
2. How does the narrator describe the appearance and behavior of "real witches" in "A Note About Witches"?
3. How does the Grand High Witch respond when she encounters the narrator's mice on the podium in "The Recipe"?
4. How is the Grand High Witch's face described when she takes off her mask?
5. What role does Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker play in the Grand High Witch's plan?
6. Why does the Grand High Witch express anger at her subjects at the meeting in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
7. How does the narrator's grandmother describe the Secret Society of Witches in "The Grand High Witch"?
8. What oddities does the narrator note about the women in the Banquet hall in "The Meeting"? How does he respond?
9. What happened to the five children that the grandmother describes who were taken by witches in "My Grandmother"?
10. Describe the narrator's grandmother. How old is she? Where does she live?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)