|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isaacson claim the Secretary of War called Lovett and McCloy?
2. What is the reason Isaacson suggests that John McCLoy's mother encouraged him to tutor children of her wealthy clients during summers away from school?
3. According to Isaacson, who was the President of the United States who thought Russia could be an ally after WWII?
4. What was the ratio of students who passed the training for Kennan's chosen field to those who took the course, according to Isaacson?
5. What does Isaacson report to be the legacy of Harvard's President Charles Elliot after his 40 year tenure ended in 1909?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the major declarations of the Atlantic Charter, according to Isaacson?
2. What does Isaacson report to be Averell Harriman's first achievement after he was named as transportation adviser to the National Defense Advisory Commission by President Franklin Roosevelt?
3. Which of the "Six Wise Men" does Isaacson report came to know the family of another through his father's employment?
4. Which of the "Six Wise Men" does Isaacson indicate attended Harvard Law School?
5. What were the circumstances through which John McCloy came into contact with Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett after WWI, according to Isaacson?
6. What experience in John McCloy's background does Isaacson claim gave McCloy the exposure to Henry Stimson that eventually led to McCloy's appointment to the Department of War as a special consultant on German espionage?
7. What does Isaacson report to be the difference between George Kennan's approach to training for the foreign service and that of Chip Bohlen?
8. Who does Isaacson identify as the two men that Secretary of War Henry Stimson called the "Heavenly Twins"?
9. What does Isaacson claim to be Averell Harriman's qualification for Skull and Bones?
10. How does Isaacson claim that Robert Lovett's father started in his work for E.H. Harriman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett established lucrative careers in rail roads, investment banking, shipping, and ship building, among other industries. Was the track these two took to influence government policy altruistic toward the benefit of the U.S., or followed for the benefit of the industries that made them powerful? Use details from the book to support your view.
Essay Topic 2
The "Wise Men" made decisions that they knew would have affects on the voting public. Identify three such decisions, the elections that they influenced and the candidates whom they were intended to assist. Use support from the book to validate your positions.
Essay Topic 3
Upon the dropping of the atom bomb on Hiroshima, the crew of the Enola Gay realized the power of the weapon. Trace the steps that led to the decision to use the atom bomb on Japan with information from the book. Consider the situation Japan faced after the surrender of Germany and Italy in Europe. Was the use of the atom bomb necessary to bring Japan to face its defeat? Why or why not? What reasons are cited in The Wise Men for making the decision to use the atom bomb? Do these reasons justify the destruction that was brought on the general populations of those two cities?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)