|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson report to be the son of a wealthy railway tycoon?
2. Who does Isaacson report to have been the vice president the W. A. Harriman investment firm?
3. Under whom does Isaacson report Kennan studied for his chosen field?
4. Isaacson reports which "Wise Man" worked to implement Franklin Roosevelt's Lend Lease program?
5. What event does Isaacson suggest brought calls to come out of its isolationism following WWI?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isaacson claim that Robert Lovett's father started in his work for E.H. Harriman?
2. What kind of jobs did John McCloy's mother find for him during his youth, according to Isaacson?
3. Who does Isaacson identify as the two men that Secretary of War Henry Stimson called the "Heavenly Twins"?
4. What military action did Joseph Stalin demand from his British and American allies once the United States entered WWII, according to Isaacson?
5. What does Isaacson report that George Kennan believed Marxism offered to Soviet Russian leaders?
6. What does Isaacson report to be a prerequisite for being tapped for Skull and Bones at Yale?
7. Why did Russian soldiers dismantle German factories and send the assets back to their homeland at the end of WWII according to Isaacson?
8. What does Isaacson report to be the difference between George Kennan's approach to training for the foreign service and that of Chip Bohlen?
9. As the Allied powers began to close in on Germany, what does Isaacson expose to be the main concern of the British and American governments for the post-war era?
10. What does Isaacson claim to be Averell Harriman's qualification for Skull and Bones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isaacson clearly takes a complementary view of the six "Wise Men." Consider the total effects of their influence from the past to the present. Do you agree with his assessment? Is Isaacson's perspective justified? Is his view reflective of political or social affinities? Who most benefited from the influence of the "Wise Men"? Who, if anyone suffered? Were the six individuals on whom The Wise Men focuses really wise? Use information from the book and research on relevant events from history and current events to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The "Wise Men" made decisions that they knew would have affects on the voting public. Identify three such decisions, the elections that they influenced and the candidates whom they were intended to assist. Use support from the book to validate your positions.
Essay Topic 3
Dean Acheson and John McCloy followed different legal careers to become very important influences throughout the presidencies of Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman. Explain how their different legal experiences and connections led to their accessing positions through which they shaped policies from the 1930's throughout the 1970's.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)