|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isaacson claim to be the the Soviet's view of keeping security?
(a) The Soviets saw massive military buildups as the primary method of achieving security.
(b) The Soviets viewed security in terms of dominating and occupying as much territory as possible.
(c) The Soviets viewed security in terms of seeing everyone as a potential threat.
(d) The Soviets saw security as the primary goal of all of its imperial efforts.
2. Why was General MacArthur fired according to Isaacson?
(a) Because MacArthur was seen as unable to lead with the changes in technology and the enemy at hand.
(b) MacArthur made statements criticizing China's strength and suggesting Chiang Kai-shek could open a second front against China with an invasion on the mainland.
(c) Because MacArthur's popularity within the U.S. was a threat to the Administration's efforts to control the direction of the war in Korea.
(d) Because MacArthur's belligerence had become a threat to world peace.
3. What does Isaacson cite as "...perhaps the most dramatic and significant (conversion) of any postwar American statesman"?
(a) The conversion of Dean Acheson to a hard-line stance on dealing with the Soviets.
(b) The conversion of Averell Harriman from a market capitalist to seeing the value of socialism in some systems.
(c) The conversion of Harry Truman from being a non-interventionist to being an internationalist.
(d) The conversion of John McCloy to being an internationalist to being an isolationist.
4. After the atomic bombs had been detonated in Japan, what does Isaacson indicate to be the next challenge for the government in the post-war era?
(a) Restoring Europe's economy.
(b) Preserving Germany's industrial capacity.
(c) Finding work for all the veterans.
(d) Taking steps to control atomic weapons.
5. What does Isaacson report to have been the reaction to communist tactics against the Marshall Plan?
(a) Congress initiated the House Un-American Activities Committee.
(b) The American public began looking for similar activities within their communities.
(c) The Truman Administration had the evidence of the corrosive nature of communism to convince the country its steps were the right ones.
(d) Congress began to realize that the battle against communism was going to be long and costly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Pentagon recommend the government should respond to the Soviet Union's possession of nuclear weapons, according to Isaacson?
2. How does Isaacson detail how the last of the "Six Wise Men" whom President-Elect Kennedy called affected Kennedy's decision for Secretary of State?
3. What does Isaacson report to be the entry in the Enola Gay log book by co-pilot Robert Lewis after the explosion of the atomic bomb over Hiroshima?
4. How does Isaacson claim the Truman Administration learned of the Soviet Union's possession of nuclear weapons in September, 1949?
5. What did Winston Churchill recommend as a solution to the challenge of growing Soviet Power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isaacson claim made President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles, attractive to the eastern foreign policy Establishment?
2. What organization did John McCloy help to form that became the precursor to the European Common Market, according to Isaacson?
3. What affect did the Soviet aggression in Czechoslovakia have on Truman's effort to win Congressional approval of the Marshall Plan, according to Isaacson?
4. Why does Isaacson suggest that Dean Acheson recommended Dean Rusk to President-Elect Kennedy for Secretary of State?
5. What scandal does Isaacson report to have come to the Truman Administration's state department in January 1950?
6. Who did President Kennedy choose to act as his chief negotiator at the International Control Commission talks on Laos, according to Isaacson?
7. What was Dean Acheson's view regarding America's involvement in Vietnam, according to Isaacson?
8. What was the focus of George Kennan's "Long Telegram" according to Isaacson?
9. What was the suggestion that Dean Acheson made regarding the future of freedom if Turkey and Greece fell into the influence of Soviet Communism, according to Isaacson?
10. What does Isaacson report to be the concern of Robert Lovett regarding the operations of the CIA under President Eisenhower?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)