|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Isaacson record to be the first Democrat candidate for president in 1952 after President Truman announced he would not seek re-election?
(a) Averell Harriman.
(b) John Foster Dulles.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Adlai Stevenson.
2. What scientist suggested the United States should respond to the Soviet Union's possession of the A-bomb by producing more powerful bombs?
(a) David Lilienthal.
(b) Edward Teller.
(c) Robert Oppenheimer.
(d) George Ball.
3. Which of the "Six Wise Men" was chosen by President Johnson to assume authority over all diplomatic efforts to end the war in Vietnam according to Isaacson?
(a) John McCloy.
(b) Averell Harriman.
(c) George Kennan
(d) Dean Acheson.
4. Who does Isaacson report that President Johnson wanted to serve as Ambassador to Vietnam in 1964?
(a) Dean Rusk.
(b) John McCloy.
(c) George Ball.
(d) McGeorge Bundy
5. Who does Isaacson claim John F. Kennedy called for advice on responding to a congratulatory telegram from Nikita Khrushchev the day after Kennedy was announced the winner of the 1960 election?
(a) Robert Lovett.
(b) Dean Acheson.
(c) Chip Bohlen.
(d) Averell Harriman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isaacson suggest to be the result of George Kennan's "Long Telegram"?
2. After Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected president in 1952, who does Isaacson state became Secretary of State?
3. Upon whom does Isaacson claim that Stimson relied to help him achieve his goal regarding the control of the atom bomb?
4. Why was General MacArthur fired according to Isaacson?
5. What does Isaacson report that members of the Truman Administration suggested caused the political opposition to the Truman Doctrine to confront Soviet Communism wherever it was asserted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the first two of the "Six Wise Men" to remove themselves from advising President Johnson because they could no longer support America's involvement in Vietnam, according to Isaacson?
2. What scandal does Isaacson report to have come to the Truman Administration's state department in January 1950?
3. To what event did President Truman compare the Soviet clampdown on Czechoslavakia in 1948, according to Isaacson?
4. What does Isaacson claim made President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles, attractive to the eastern foreign policy Establishment?
5. What does Isaacson claim Clark Clifford wrote in a campaign strategy memo regarding the affect of the Soviet clampdown on Czechoslovakia on the reelection chances of President Truman?
6. What was Dean Acheson's view regarding America's involvement in Vietnam, according to Isaacson?
7. What does Isaacson claim Winston Churchill offered as a suggestion for a solution to Soviet expansionism in his "Iron Curtain" speech in Missouri?
8. Why does Isaacson suggest that Dean Acheson recommended Dean Rusk to President-Elect Kennedy for Secretary of State?
9. Why did the Truman Administration consider making an atomic arms control "covenant" with the Soviet Union, according to Isaacson?
10. What does Isaacson claim to be the North Vietnamese offensive that made the Johnson Administration realize America needed to get out of the Vietnam War?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)