|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isaacson write of what became of the "Six Wise Men" after Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected president in 1952?
(a) They became involved in movements to create a global economy.
(b) They sought to find roles in directing foreign policy with the new administration.
(c) They became active in Democrat Party politics so they could resume their positions of influence after Eisenhower was removed from office.
(d) They went into "exile" from Washington and served in the private sector.
2. When and where was the first atomic bomb used on Japan?
(a) August 7, 1945 on Nagasaki.
(b) August 6, 1945 on Hiroshima.
(c) August 6, 1945 on Tokyo.
(d) August 7, 1945 on Hiroshima.
3. What was the document that Isaacson claims to be the blueprint for national security policy through the 1960's?
(a) The "Long Telegram."
(c) The Acheson memo.
(d) The Pumpkin Papers.
4. What does Isaacson claim to be Dean Acheson's views on Vietnam?
(a) He considered Vietnam to be a distraction from the affairs of Europe.
(b) He considered Vietnam the most important confrontation to avoid the "Domino Theory."
(c) He considered Vietnam to be identical to the challenges of Korea.
(d) He considered Vietnam to be evidence that the war against communism was never going to end.
5. How did the U.S. Government consider North Korea's invasion of South Korea, according to Isaacson?
(a) As a warning sign to world war.
(b) As a sign that the age of interventionism was over.
(c) As the beginning of a life or death struggle against international communism.
(d) As a sign that the U.S. had no other choice but to be involved with all the governments of the world to turn back the communist threat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of the world did Averell Harriman try to encourage the Johnson Administration to show more interest according to Isaacson?
2. Why was the Johnson Administation's plan to settle the Vietnamese conflict rejected, according to Isaacson?
3. What does Isaacson cite as "...perhaps the most dramatic and significant (conversion) of any postwar American statesman"?
4. After Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected president in 1952, who does Isaacson state became Secretary of State?
5. What event does Isaacson claim one of the "Six Wise Men" used to encourage President Johnson to get tougher in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isaacson report to have been General Douglas MacArthur's proposal to stop the flow of Chinese Soldiers into the war between North and South Korea?
2. What organization did John McCloy help to form that became the precursor to the European Common Market, according to Isaacson?
3. What does Isaacson claim to be Stalin's reaction to the Marshall Plan?
4. What was the focus of George Kennan's "Long Telegram" according to Isaacson?
5. What was Dean Acheson's view regarding America's involvement in Vietnam, according to Isaacson?
6. What does Isaacson report to be the concern of Robert Lovett regarding the operations of the CIA under President Eisenhower?
7. To what event did President Truman compare the Soviet clampdown on Czechoslavakia in 1948, according to Isaacson?
8. How does Isaacson report England was affected by the end of WWII?
9. Who did President Kennedy choose to act as his chief negotiator at the International Control Commission talks on Laos, according to Isaacson?
10. Who were the first two of the "Six Wise Men" to remove themselves from advising President Johnson because they could no longer support America's involvement in Vietnam, according to Isaacson?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)