|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Isaacson quote Chip Bohlen as saying regarding socialism?
(a) "Socialism is the stepping stone to communism."
(b) " Socialism is the next best step to the perfect system."
(c) "...maybe that is the road we ought to go down."
(d) "Socialism is the future for modern states that wish to avoid war and conflict."
2. Why did President Eisenhower relieve Bob Lovett from the Defense Department, according to Isaacson?
(a) Because the Eisenhower Administration planned to cut spending on conventional forces and rely totally on nuclear weapons for defense.
(b) Because Lovett was considered untrustworthy based upon his relationship with Alger Hiss.
(c) Because Lovett was a Democrat and Republicans demanded party loyalty while they had control of Congress.
(d) Because Lovett was found leaking policy decisions to his Democrat friends outside the administration.
3. Who does Isaacson claim that Dean Acheson, Robert Lovett, and John McCloy suggested for President-Elect Kennedy's Secretary of State?
(a) David Bruce.
(b) Paul Nitze.
(c) Dean Rusk.
(d) Bill Fulbright.
4. Who was the Supreme Court Justice for whom Dean Acheson clerked?
(a) Louis Brandeis.
(b) William Howard Taft.
(c) James Clark McReynolds.
(d) Mahlon Pitney.
5. Who did President Eisenhower choose for his Ambassador to Russia, according to Isaacson?
(a) Dean Acheson.
(b) Chip Bohlen.
(c) George Kennan.
(d) Averell Harriman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the "Six Wise Men" was chosen by President Johnson to assume authority over all diplomatic efforts to end the war in Vietnam according to Isaacson?
2. According to Isaacson, how did Harriman respond to Stalin's shifting demeanor?
3. For what purpose had Robert Lovett's father been grooming him and Averell Harriman since their graduation from college, according to Isaacson?
4. What does Isaacson report to be the legacy of Harvard's President Charles Elliot after his 40 year tenure ended in 1909?
5. Who encouraged the United States to rearm and come out of what Isaacson claims to be a period of isolationism following WWI?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)