|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isaacson report that President Truman did to decide America's response to the Soviet Union's possession of nuclear weapons?
(a) He courted the press to show the film of Russia's nuclear explosion to convince the public of the urgent need for increased military spending.
(b) He sent out the "Wise Men" to conduct town hall meetings to explain the danger facing the country from Soviet nuclear weapons.
(c) He appointed a three-man national security committee.
(d) He polled his cabinet and based his response on its concensus.
2. What area of the world did Averell Harriman try to encourage the Johnson Administration to show more interest according to Isaacson?
(a) East Europe.
(b) Central America.
(d) The Middle East.
3. How does Isaacson report that Averell Harriman's support for the successful presidential candidacy of Franklin Roosevelt was rewarded in 1932?
(a) Roosevelt named him the head of the Council on Foreign Relations.
(b) Roosevelt named him the Chief Administrative officer of the National Recovery Administration.
(c) Roosevelt named him the Ambassador to Russia.
(d) Roosevelt named him Secretary of State.
4. What was the document that Isaacson claims to be the blueprint for national security policy through the 1960's?
(a) The Pumpkin Papers.
(c) The "Long Telegram."
(d) The Acheson memo.
5. How does Isaacson suggest that President Kennedy hoped to avoid war in Laos?
(a) By supporting economic development throughout South East Asia.
(b) With help from the British in reviving the International Control Commission.
(c) Through back channel negotiations with leaders of the Soviet Union.
(d) By calling on the support of allies in the area to come to America's aid for the war that was rapidly developing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the State Department's Liaison with the White House during the transfer of power from Roosevelt to Truman?
2. What does Isaacson claim the Secretary of War called Lovett and McCloy?
3. Which two of the "Six Wise Men" does Isaacson report were called to brief the Kennedy Administration on the two crises that faced them?
4. Which two of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson claim understood the importance of trade and global involvement from their careers on Wall Street?
5. Who convinced one of the "Wise Men" to stop doing business with the Russian communists, according to Isaacson?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)