|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Isaacson report to be the first of the "Six Wise Men" whom Kennedy sought out for advice after his election to the presidency in 1960?
(a) Robert Lovett.
(b) Averell Harriman.
(c) Dean Acheson.
(d) George Kennan.
2. Isaacson reported that the Soviet Union's actions in East Europe helped the Truman Administration achieve what two political goals?
(a) They helped to convince the general public that the communists were out for world domination and win trust for the wisdom of his foreign policy advisors.
(b) They helped concentrate power within the presidency and give general support for the foreign policy elite to act without scrutiny.
(c) They helped gain support for the Marshall Plan and for more military spending.
(d) They brought the country to understand the necessity of confronting communism and helped the Administration win support for its budget demands.
3. Why was the Johnson Administation's plan to settle the Vietnamese conflict rejected, according to Isaacson?
(a) The South Vietnamese government rejected it.
(b) Middle America feared communist expansion.
(c) The New York Times criticized it.
(d) The Congress rejected it.
4. What quality of Truman's does Isaacson claim was welcomed by the liaison between the State Department and the White House ?
(a) Truman's forthrightness.
(b) Truman's common perspective.
(c) Truman's willingness to accept counsel.
(d) Truman's predictability.
5. What does Isaacson cite as "...perhaps the most dramatic and significant (conversion) of any postwar American statesman"?
(a) The conversion of John McCloy to being an internationalist to being an isolationist.
(b) The conversion of Averell Harriman from a market capitalist to seeing the value of socialism in some systems.
(c) The conversion of Harry Truman from being a non-interventionist to being an internationalist.
(d) The conversion of Dean Acheson to a hard-line stance on dealing with the Soviets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was asked to approach President-Elect Kennedy's choice for Secretary of State to offer him the position, according to Isaacson?
2. Why does Isaacson claim MacArthur's plans were blocked?
3. What does Isaacson suggest shaped President Johnson's views on dealing with Soviet Communism?
4. Which of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson report to have negotiated trade deals with leaders of the communist government in Russia in 1922?
5. What does Isaacson say caused the crack up of the foreign policy establishment?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)