|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6-7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Supreme Court Justice for whom Dean Acheson clerked?
(a) William Howard Taft.
(b) Mahlon Pitney.
(c) Louis Brandeis.
(d) James Clark McReynolds.
2. What Assistant Secretary of War does Isaacson cite as fearing American isolationism after WWII?
(a) Robert Lovett.
(b) Dean Acheson.
(c) Averell Harriman.
(d) John McCloy.
3. What does Isaacson claim to be Harriman's first crusade in his role with the Roosevelt Administration?
(a) To encourage the Fed to make low interest loans to investment banks.
(b) To make rail transportation the exclusive means of transporting military equipment within the U.S. borders.
(c) To gain federal funding for expanded rail road construction.
(d) To encourage the government to help increase the nation's rail freight capabilities.
4. Which president does Isaacson report Dean Acheson served as Assistant Secretary of State?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Dwight Eisenhower.
5. With whom did John McCloy and Robert Lovett serve as advisers to the Secretary of War, according to Isaacson?
(a) Dean Acheson and Averell Harriman.
(b) McGeorge Bundy and Henry Stimson.
(c) Robert Patterson and Harvey Bundy.
(d) George Marshall and Erskine Hawkins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isaacson claim to the Lovett's and Harriman's most important innovation to the industry for which they were prepared by Judge Lovett?
2. How does Isaacson report that Averell Harriman's support for the successful presidential candidacy of Franklin Roosevelt was rewarded in 1932?
3. Which of the "Wise Men's" father does Isaacson claim worked for E.H. Harriman with Union Pacific Rail Road?
4. What two post-secondary schools does Isaacson report George Kennan attended?
5. Which of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson report to have served in active service during WWI?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)