|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6-7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson report to be the son of a wealthy railway tycoon?
(a) Dean Acheson.
(b) Chip Bohlen.
(c) Robert Lovett.
(d) Averell Harriman.
2. Who does Isaacson report chose Kennan and Bohlen for service in the American Embassy in Moscow?
(a) Secretary of War Henry Lewis Stimson.
(b) Secretary of State Elihu Root.
(c) The American Ambassador to Russia, William Bullitt.
(d) President Franklin Roosevelt.
3. Where did Chip Bohlen grow up, according to Isaacson?
(b) Grindstone Island, New York.
(c) Aiken, South Carolina.
(d) New York City.
4. What quality made Lovett and McCloy influential insiders, according to Isaacson?
(a) Their intimate friendships with President Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) Their efficient methods of researching and writing reports.
(c) The informal social networks they had formed.
(d) Their overseas experiences with world leaders.
5. Where does Isaacson claim George Kennan served the government in lieu of paying the expenses of attending law school?
(a) The State Department.
(b) The Foreign Service.
(c) The War Department.
(d) The Supreme Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson report to have negotiated trade deals with leaders of the communist government in Russia in 1922?
2. Who does Isaacson report to be the U.S. ambassador to Russia immediately after WWII?
3. Under which president did Dean Acheson serve in the Attorney General's office?
4. Which of the "Wise Men's" father does Isaacson claim worked for E.H. Harriman with Union Pacific Rail Road?
5. According to Isaacson, who was the President of the United States who thought Russia could be an ally after WWII?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)