|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Isaacson claim President Truman planned to fight for support for the Marshall Plan in Congress?
(a) By advising Democrat congressmen to amend planks of the plan to popular legislation so it would eventually get passed out of the notice of political opponents.
(b) By vetoing every spending bill until the plan was accepted in Congress.
(c) By calling for an emergency session of Congress and winning support for an "interim aid" bill.
(d) By campaigning across the country to rally popular support for the effort.
2. Which of the six "Wise Men" does Isaacson report Roosevelt's Secretary of War asked to work on German espionage?
(a) John McCloy.
(b) Averell Harriman.
(c) Chip Bohlen.
(d) Robert Lovett.
3. Isaacson reports that Averell Harriman took what position in the Roosevelt Administration?
(a) Transportation adviser for the new National Defense Advisory Commission.
(b) Assistant Secretary of War.
(c) Railroad advisor to the Department of Commerce.
(d) Assistant director to the Federal Reserve.
4. What does Isaacson report to be the legacy of Harvard's President Charles Elliot after his 40 year tenure ended in 1909?
(a) "Our undisciplinables are our proudest product."
(b) "To allow each man to think and do as he pleases."
(c) "Living well is the best revenge."
(d) "Heresy has always been a Harvard institution."
5. What does Isaacson report to be the warning the Allied powers gave to the Japanese regarding the dropping of the atomic bomb?
(a) Radio interruptions of Japanese airwaves that warned the Japanese of America's possession of, "a weapon of mass destruction."
(b) A vague clue in the Potsdam proclamation describing "immeasurably greater" powers and that, "The alternative for Japan is prompt and utter destruction."
(c) Communiques made to Japanese leaders through their various channels of communication.
(d) Ads placed in Japanese newspapers warning of coming destruction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bohlen's first assignment after he completed training in his field, according to Issacson?
2. Where did John McCloy attend College according to Isaacson?
3. Isaacson reports which "Wise Man" worked to implement Franklin Roosevelt's Lend Lease program?
4. What does Isaacson claim to be the most elite club at Yale?
5. With what country did Bohlen become fascinated during late-night discussions at Harvard?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)