|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who encouraged the United States to rearm and come out of what Isaacson claims to be a period of isolationism following WWI?
(a) Dean Acheson.
(b) Averell Harriman.
(c) Henry Stimson.
(d) John McCloy.
2. When had Dean Acheson worked with Secretary of State George Marshall, prior to Marshall's appointment to the State Department, according to Isaacson?
(a) As a clerk to Supreme Court Justice William Howard Taft.
(b) During a campaign to shake America out of its post WWI "isolationism."
(c) In China to mediate an end to the civil war between Chiang Kai-shek and Mao Tse Tung.
(d) While he was on the Yale crew coached by Averell Harriman.
3. What does Isaacson report to be a weakness Bohlen exhibited in the execution of his profession?
(a) His poor manners offended the keepers of protocol.
(b) His social proclivities caused embarrasments for other Administration officials.
(c) He was often too risky with investor's funds.
(d) His penmanship was poor and he never learned to type.
4. How did communist cells throughout Europe respond to the Marshall Plan?
(a) They began a program of counterfeiting currencies to cause an inflationary cycle.
(b) They started programs of social support for European laborers to win political support for their agendas.
(c) They posed as businesses that received funds that were then put into programs to promote communism.
(d) They would attempt to disrupt governments and try to bring them down.
5. What was one of the first challenges facing the Truman Administration in dealing with the Soviet Union after WWII, according to Isaacson?
(a) Dealing with Soviet front groups in the United States.
(b) Blocking the Soviet Union from attempting to set terms of peace with Japan.
(c) Trying to prevent the Soviet Union from taking German industrial equipment and charging reparations against Germany.
(d) Slowing the influence of Soviet communism over the Maoist movement in China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John McCloy attend College according to Isaacson?
2. What is the reason Isaacson suggests that John McCLoy's mother encouraged him to tutor children of her wealthy clients during summers away from school?
3. What event early in WWII does Isaacson quote John McCloy as calling, "...regrettable in the clear light of perfect hindsight"?
4. What does Isaacson claim the Secretary of War called Lovett and McCloy?
5. What decision did Harriman influence Stalin to make, according to Isaacson, to get around the decision of Secretary Stettinius?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)