|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Isaacson claim Acheson described the division of the world between the United States and the Soviet Union during the crisis facing Greece and Turkey?
(a) "...a struggle between totalitarianism and democracy."
(b) "...an unbridgeable ideological chasm."
(c) "...a contest between freedom and slavery."
(d) "...a test of free will against coercion."
2. With whom did John McCloy and Robert Lovett serve as advisers to the Secretary of War, according to Isaacson?
(a) George Marshall and Erskine Hawkins.
(b) McGeorge Bundy and Henry Stimson.
(c) Dean Acheson and Averell Harriman.
(d) Robert Patterson and Harvey Bundy.
3. Which of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson report to have served in active service during WWI?
(a) Averell Harriman, George Kennan, and Dean Acheson.
(b) Chip Bohlen.
(c) Robert Lovett.
(d) John McCloy and Robert Lovett.
4. What does Isaacson cite as the difference between Kennan's and Chip Bohlen's approach to preparing for their chosen field?
(a) Kennan had analytic depth, but Bohlen had a more nimble mind.
(b) Kennan was academic, but Bohlen was impulsive.
(c) Kennan approached his preparations with anxiety but Bohlen enjoyed his time studying for the exams.
(d) Bohlen was very social and enjoyed drinking, but Kennan was studied in seclusion and was a tea-totaler.
5. Who wrote the top-secret "recommendations for the use of nuclear weapons"?
(a) J. Robert Oppenheimer.
(b) Colonel Paul Tibbets.
(c) Harry Truman.
(d) Douglas MacArthur.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Isaacson suggest brought calls to come out of its isolationism following WWI?
2. Which of the six "Wise Men" does Isaacson report Roosevelt's Secretary of War asked to work on German espionage?
3. Where does Isaacson claim George Kennan served the government in lieu of paying the expenses of attending law school?
4. Who was the Republican upon whom the Truman Administration focused to win support for the Marshall Plan, according to Isaacson?
5. What two post-secondary schools does Isaacson report George Kennan attended?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)