|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 18-19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isaacson record that Mao claimed to be the source of Chinese soldiers in North Korean combat units?
(a) Mao claimed that they were Russians equipped by China.
(b) Mao claimed they were Chinese volunteers who were protecting Chinese hydroelectric plants along the Yalu River.
(c) Mao claimed that China was not involved, that there were no Chinese soldiers in Korea.
(d) Mao claimed that they were communist sympathizers from throughout Asia seeking to ignite the international revolution.
2. What does Isaacson claim that Averell Harriman and his Wall Street contemporaries believed to be the best guarantee for American security?
(a) Providing financial support to allies that were targets for Soviet expansionism.
(b) The establishment of democratic and representative governments everywhere.
(c) Increased defense spending to force the Soviet Union to enter an unsustainable arms race.
(d) Withdrawing from international affairs and focusing on building up American markets.
3. Who did President Eisenhower choose for his Ambassador to Russia, according to Isaacson?
(a) Dean Acheson.
(b) George Kennan.
(c) Averell Harriman.
(d) Chip Bohlen.
4. What did Gen. MacArthur recommend, according to Isaacson, to stem the flow of Chinese soldiers into North Korea?
(a) Bombing out bridges over the Yalu River.
(b) Opening relations with China to negotiate a settlement.
(c) Using nuclear weapons to wipe out China and Russia.
(d) Avoiding a mainland war with the communists.
5. Who does Isaacson report to have offered proposals that the United States develop an intelligence-gathering system?
(a) General Hoyt Vandenberg.
(b) Dean Acheson.
(c) James Forrestal.
(d) George Kennan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the organization that eventually replaced the Office of Strategic Services, according to Isaacson?
2. What was a personal factor that made the "Six Wise Men" unpopular to the general public, according to Isaacson?
3. What does Isaacson claim to be Bohlen's view of Bolshevism?
4. What does Isaacson cite as the difference between Kennan's and Chip Bohlen's approach to preparing for their chosen field?
5. When and where was the first atomic bomb used on Japan?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)