|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 18-19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Isaacson claim MacArthur's plans were blocked?
(a) Because the Administration had a strict policy of keeping American soldiers within the boundaries of South Korea.
(b) Because the foreign policy elite feared losing influence if a military success ended the conflict in Korea.
(c) Because the Administration feared communist aggression within the continental United States.
(d) Because the bombing of the bridges might provoke the Chinese to take harsher actions.
2. What was the only concession the Japanese requested for its surrender to end WWII, according to Isaacson?
(a) That Russia not be allowed to occupy the island.
(b) That Japan could keep its emperor.
(c) That their American occupiers limit their personal interaction with Japanese citizens.
(d) That Japanese Americans kept in detention camps be allowed to repatriate with their homeland.
3. What was the organization that eventually replaced the Office of Strategic Services, according to Isaacson?
(a) The Secret Service.
(b) The Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(c) The Office of Homeland Security.
(d) The Central Intelligence Agency.
4. What was the ratio of students who passed the training for Kennan's chosen field to those who took the course, according to Isaacson?
5. What was the major contributing factor to causing the fate of the "Six Wise Men" after the election of Eisenhower?
(a) It was the first time the Republicans held power in 20 years and they wanted to start with their people in power.
(b) The plans made by the "Wise Men" were proving to have disastrous economic consequences for the country.
(c) After nearly 25 years of depression, war, and turmoil, Americans demanded a return to policies of non-intervention.
(d) The general public began to see America's foreign policy elite had been reserving power to itself with the continual appeals for wars.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the atomic bombs had been detonated in Japan, what does Isaacson indicate to be the next challenge for the government in the post-war era?
2. What did Isaacson claim to be Kennan's strong areas in his training?
3. What did Gen. MacArthur recommend, according to Isaacson, to stem the flow of Chinese soldiers into North Korea?
4. Who does Isaacson report to have offered proposals that the United States develop an intelligence-gathering system?
5. What did Winston Churchill recommend as a solution to the challenge of growing Soviet Power?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)