|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of ship does Cody contact?
2. Who gets into a fight, as the boat approaches land?
3. How does Sophie sleep her first night on land?
4. In Dock's story about the little girl, who does the girl go to live with immediately after her parents die?
5. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
2. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
3. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
4. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
5. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
6. What theory about death and life do Cody and Sophie discuss?
7. What is the significance of the stops the boat makes before setting out to sea?
8. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
9. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
10. What gift does Cody give his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wanderer deals with dangerous situations, and the characters all face death. Discuss the life-and-death struggles in the novel.
1) How do the characters change when they're faced with life-and-death situations? How does Cody change? How does Sophie change? How do the uncles change?
2) How do the characters respond differently to danger toward themselves and toward others?
3) What do life-and-death encounters reveal about the characters' relationships? How do characters' relationships change during the life-and-death struggle of the storm?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss men and women's roles in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie get angry when she is cast in a traditional women's role? Why does she want to do tasks that are traditionally male?
2) How does Cody react to implications that his tasks of cooking and cleaning are traditionally women's tasks? Why does he respond this way?
3) What is the author saying about traditional roles of men and women in society?
Essay Topic 3
The novel centers around memory and remembering. Discuss these elements in the novel.
1) How is Bompie's failing memory during his illness important to the story? Why does Sophie want to keep Bompie's memory alive through his stories?
2) How is memory unreliable in the novel? How are Sophie and Bompie's memories both unreliable in different ways?
3) How does memory drive the characters? How do Sophie's repressed memories drive her? How do Dock's memories of Rosalie drive him?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)