|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
2. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
3. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
4. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
5. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
Essay Topic 1
Death is central to the novel. Discuss death in the novel.
1) How does Sophie react to killing fish on the journey? What is her attitude toward the death of fish?
2) How does Sophie deal with the death of her parents and grandfather? How does she deal with the impending death of Bompie?
3) How do the characters deal with the prospects of their own deaths?
Essay Topic 2
The characters argue with each other throughout the novel. Discuss the significance of arguments in the novel.
1) Why do some characters argue more than others? What causes Mo and Stew to argue? What causes Brian and Cody to argue?
2) What causes conflict and argument between Mo and Cody? What does this say about their relationship as father and son?
3) How are arguments different before the major storm, during the storm, and after the storm?
Essay Topic 3
The novel centers around memory and remembering. Discuss these elements in the novel.
1) How is Bompie's failing memory during his illness important to the story? Why does Sophie want to keep Bompie's memory alive through his stories?
2) How is memory unreliable in the novel? How are Sophie and Bompie's memories both unreliable in different ways?
3) How does memory drive the characters? How do Sophie's repressed memories drive her? How do Dock's memories of Rosalie drive him?
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)