|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
2. Who gets into a fight, as the boat approaches land?
3. What color blanket does the little kid lie down on in the story Sophie tells Cody?
4. What is Sophie doing that causes her to kneel on the deck just before she suddenly looks up and can't see anyone on deck?
5. What goes wrong with the boat's mainsail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
2. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
3. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
4. What is the weather like, the first night on the open ocean?
5. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
6. What theory about death and life do Cody and Sophie discuss?
7. What does Sophie hear when Cody is actually asking about her harness?
8. What happens in the altercation between Sophie and Brian?
9. What settles the argument about where Bompie should live?
10. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling has an important role in the novel, through both Bompie and Sophie's storytelling. Discuss storytelling in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie tell Bompie's stories during the journey? What does Sophie add to these stories? Why does she choose certain stories to tell?
2) Why does Bompie share his stories with Sophie in his letters?
3) What is the significance of the "little kid" stories that Sophie tells?
Essay Topic 2
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
Essay Topic 3
The characters argue with each other throughout the novel. Discuss the significance of arguments in the novel.
1) Why do some characters argue more than others? What causes Mo and Stew to argue? What causes Brian and Cody to argue?
2) What causes conflict and argument between Mo and Cody? What does this say about their relationship as father and son?
3) How are arguments different before the major storm, during the storm, and after the storm?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)