|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English landmark do the travelers sit near, on a bench while they eat?
2. What do Brian, Sophie, and Cody plan on calling their raft to sail on the Ohio River?
3. Where is Rosalie leaving for?
4. What does Brian insist Sophie is doing regarding her parents?
5. Why does Uncle Stew order Cody to turn off the electrics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
2. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
3. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
4. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
5. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
6. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
7. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
8. What is the weather like, the first night on the open ocean?
9. What does Sophie hear when Cody is actually asking about her harness?
10. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
Essay Topic 3
"The Wanderer" contains many instances of conflict. Discuss the three types of conflict in the novel.
1) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Man? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
2) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Nature? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
3) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Himself? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)