|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the winds pick up, what do the sailors do to the mainsail?
2. What goes wrong with the boat's mainsail?
3. In Sophie's story, where does Bompie go to see the ocean?
4. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
5. What does Cody tell his father, as the sail-less boat is whipped by the waves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mo do after he gets back from the trip?
2. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
3. What happens to the sails in the heavy wind?
4. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
5. What do Stew and Mo argue about?
6. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
7. How does Sophie feel about seeing Bompie, as the travelers near their destination?
8. What does Sophie hear when Cody is actually asking about her harness?
9. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
10. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss animals in the novel.
1) How does Sophie relate to animals during the trip? What does her relationship with animals show about her experiences and personality?
2) How do Sophie's cousins relate to animals? Compare Cody and Brian's reactions to the creatures the travelers encounter. What do their reactions show about their personalities?
3) At what points in the journey are animals present or absent in the story? What is the significance of this?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie's journey in "The Wanderer" is something she must do to face her fears. Discuss facing fears in "The Wanderer".
1) Why do Sophie's parents allow her to go on the journey? What does her father mean when he says it's just something she has to do?
2) Why does Sophie say that in her stories Bompie keeps going in the water because he is facing his fears?
3) What are Sophie's fears of the ocean? How does she face them though the course of the novel?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)