|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes wrong with the boat's mainsail?
2. Who ends up staying behind to start the repair work on The Wanderer?
3. How fast are the winds?
4. How does Sophie sleep her first night on land?
5. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
2. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
3. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
4. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
5. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
6. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
7. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
8. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
9. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
10. What does Mo do after he gets back from the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
Essay Topic 2
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
Essay Topic 3
Storytelling has an important role in the novel, through both Bompie and Sophie's storytelling. Discuss storytelling in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie tell Bompie's stories during the journey? What does Sophie add to these stories? Why does she choose certain stories to tell?
2) Why does Bompie share his stories with Sophie in his letters?
3) What is the significance of the "little kid" stories that Sophie tells?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)