|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cody first thinks he spots land, what does it turn out to be?
2. In Sophie's story, how does Bompie get back to Kentucky after his visit to the ocean?
3. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
4. What color blanket does the little kid lie down on in the story Sophie tells Cody?
5. What animals come to The Wanderer on its way out of the Bay of Fundy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sophie and Uncle Dock's attitudes toward the autohelm?
2. What theory about death and life do Cody and Sophie discuss?
3. What settles the argument about where Bompie should live?
4. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
5. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
6. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
7. What dreams does Cody have about Sophie, after the storms are over?
8. What do Stew and Mo argue about?
9. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
10. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie's journey in "The Wanderer" is something she must do to face her fears. Discuss facing fears in "The Wanderer".
1) Why do Sophie's parents allow her to go on the journey? What does her father mean when he says it's just something she has to do?
2) Why does Sophie say that in her stories Bompie keeps going in the water because he is facing his fears?
3) What are Sophie's fears of the ocean? How does she face them though the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
One of Sophie's primary personality traits is curiosity. Discuss Sophie's curiosity.
1) Why is Sophie curious about every new thing she encounters? Why does she ask so many questions?
2) Why does Sophie imagine living the lifestyles of new people she meets? What does imagining different lives do for Sophie?
3) How is Sophie's curiosity and enthusiasm contrasted with Brian's negativity and practicality? Is Sophie a dreamer because of her curiosity and enthusiasm?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)