|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English landmark do the travelers sit near, on a bench while they eat?
2. What is Sophie doing that causes her to kneel on the deck just before she suddenly looks up and can't see anyone on deck?
3. Where does the crew of The Wanderer go to get food once they arrive on land?
4. What does Uncle Mo say that his job is?
5. Where is Rosalie leaving for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the weather like, the first night on the open ocean?
2. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
3. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
4. How does Sophie feel about seeing Bompie, as the travelers near their destination?
5. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
6. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
7. What happens to the sails in the heavy wind?
8. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
9. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
10. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author divide the novel into parts? What is the significance of the six parts of the novel?
2) Why do the chapters of the novel vary in length? What is different about the very short chapters? What role do these short chapters play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is told from two different point of view, Sophie's and Cody's. Discuss point of view in the novel.
1) How is Sophie's point of view different from Cody's? What does having two points of view add to the story?
2) How would the novel be different if it were told from a neutral point of view, instead of through the characters' journals?
3) Why is the same scene often presented twice, by the two different narrators?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss men and women's roles in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie get angry when she is cast in a traditional women's role? Why does she want to do tasks that are traditionally male?
2) How does Cody react to implications that his tasks of cooking and cleaning are traditionally women's tasks? Why does he respond this way?
3) What is the author saying about traditional roles of men and women in society?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)