Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
2. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
3. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
4. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
5. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
One of the primary themes of the novel is identity. Discus identity in the novel.
1) What elements help Sophie to find her identity and sense of self? Why does Sophie find it difficult to find her identity and where she fits into the world?
2) How do family, experience, memory, careers, and heritage affect identity in the novel?
3) How is storytelling a part of building identity for Sophie? What other ways do characters build or understand their identities?
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
Discuss men and women's roles in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie get angry when she is cast in a traditional women's role? Why does she want to do tasks that are traditionally male?
2) How does Cody react to implications that his tasks of cooking and cleaning are traditionally women's tasks? Why does he respond this way?
3) What is the author saying about traditional roles of men and women in society?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)