|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian call the little black bird?
2. Who answers the door at Bompie's house?
3. What does Uncle Dock say, when Cody asks if Sophie knows what happened to her parents?
4. What does Uncle Dock injure in the wave?
5. What does Cody tell his father, as the sail-less boat is whipped by the waves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
2. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
3. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
4. What do Stew and Mo argue about?
5. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
6. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
7. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
8. What gift does Cody give his father?
9. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
10. What does Mo do after he gets back from the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling has an important role in the novel, through both Bompie and Sophie's storytelling. Discuss storytelling in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie tell Bompie's stories during the journey? What does Sophie add to these stories? Why does she choose certain stories to tell?
2) Why does Bompie share his stories with Sophie in his letters?
3) What is the significance of the "little kid" stories that Sophie tells?
Essay Topic 2
The characters argue with each other throughout the novel. Discuss the significance of arguments in the novel.
1) Why do some characters argue more than others? What causes Mo and Stew to argue? What causes Brian and Cody to argue?
2) What causes conflict and argument between Mo and Cody? What does this say about their relationship as father and son?
3) How are arguments different before the major storm, during the storm, and after the storm?
Essay Topic 3
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)