Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
2. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
3. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
4. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
5. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss men and women's roles in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie get angry when she is cast in a traditional women's role? Why does she want to do tasks that are traditionally male?
2) How does Cody react to implications that his tasks of cooking and cleaning are traditionally women's tasks? Why does he respond this way?
3) What is the author saying about traditional roles of men and women in society?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is told from two different point of view, Sophie's and Cody's. Discuss point of view in the novel.
1) How is Sophie's point of view different from Cody's? What does having two points of view add to the story?
2) How would the novel be different if it were told from a neutral point of view, instead of through the characters' journals?
3) Why is the same scene often presented twice, by the two different narrators?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)