|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the travelers get from Ireland to Wales?
2. In Sophie's story, how does the little kid feel when people say the kid's parents have gone to heaven, a wonderful place?
3. In Dock's story about the little girl, who does the girl go to live with immediately after her parents die?
4. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
5. On Sophie's first night home, what food does her dad make?
Essay Topic 1
The Wanderer deals with dangerous situations, and the characters all face death. Discuss the life-and-death struggles in the novel.
1) How do the characters change when they're faced with life-and-death situations? How does Cody change? How does Sophie change? How do the uncles change?
2) How do the characters respond differently to danger toward themselves and toward others?
3) What do life-and-death encounters reveal about the characters' relationships? How do characters' relationships change during the life-and-death struggle of the storm?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The novel centers around memory and remembering. Discuss these elements in the novel.
1) How is Bompie's failing memory during his illness important to the story? Why does Sophie want to keep Bompie's memory alive through his stories?
2) How is memory unreliable in the novel? How are Sophie and Bompie's memories both unreliable in different ways?
3) How does memory drive the characters? How do Sophie's repressed memories drive her? How do Dock's memories of Rosalie drive him?
This section contains 1,746 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)