|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breaks in the wind?
2. What does Cody's dad say about dolphins?
3. What does Cody tell his father, as the sail-less boat is whipped by the waves?
4. What do the travelers try to use for navigation after the wreckage of the storm?
5. What does Brian say he felt like when the wave hit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
2. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
3. What is the significance of the stops the boat makes before setting out to sea?
4. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
5. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
6. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
7. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
8. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
9. What does Sophie hear when Cody is actually asking about her harness?
10. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
Essay Topic 2
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss men and women's roles in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie get angry when she is cast in a traditional women's role? Why does she want to do tasks that are traditionally male?
2) How does Cody react to implications that his tasks of cooking and cleaning are traditionally women's tasks? Why does he respond this way?
3) What is the author saying about traditional roles of men and women in society?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)