|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Mo say that his job is?
2. What animals come to The Wanderer on its way out of the Bay of Fundy?
3. Who does Bompie look like?
4. On Sophie's first night home, what food does her dad make?
5. What does Cody tell his father, as the sail-less boat is whipped by the waves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
2. What does Mo do after he gets back from the trip?
3. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
4. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
5. What does Sophie hear when Cody is actually asking about her harness?
6. What settles the argument about where Bompie should live?
7. What do Stew and Mo argue about?
8. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
9. What dreams does Cody have about Sophie, after the storms are over?
10. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss animals in the novel.
1) How does Sophie relate to animals during the trip? What does her relationship with animals show about her experiences and personality?
2) How do Sophie's cousins relate to animals? Compare Cody and Brian's reactions to the creatures the travelers encounter. What do their reactions show about their personalities?
3) At what points in the journey are animals present or absent in the story? What is the significance of this?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is told from two different point of view, Sophie's and Cody's. Discuss point of view in the novel.
1) How is Sophie's point of view different from Cody's? What does having two points of view add to the story?
2) How would the novel be different if it were told from a neutral point of view, instead of through the characters' journals?
3) Why is the same scene often presented twice, by the two different narrators?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)