|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the voyagers conclude that the blips they're seeing on their radar are?
2. What does Uncle Mo give his family as presents?
3. What not-so-good news do the travelers get when they call home?
4. Who keeps looking over Sophie's shoulder while she tries to write in her journal in the car?
5. What English landmark do the travelers sit near, on a bench while they eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What settles the argument about where Bompie should live?
2. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
3. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
4. What theory about death and life do Cody and Sophie discuss?
5. What do Stew and Mo argue about?
6. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
7. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
8. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
9. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
10. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is told from two different point of view, Sophie's and Cody's. Discuss point of view in the novel.
1) How is Sophie's point of view different from Cody's? What does having two points of view add to the story?
2) How would the novel be different if it were told from a neutral point of view, instead of through the characters' journals?
3) Why is the same scene often presented twice, by the two different narrators?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss careers in the novel.
1) How do the characters define themselves by their careers? How have Mo and Stew's careers changed them?
2) How does Sophie define herself by what she will be in the future? Why does she imagine different types of lives?
3) How do Sophie, Brian, and Cody view careers differently from each other?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)