|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
2. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
3. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
4. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
5. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss men and women's roles in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie get angry when she is cast in a traditional women's role? Why does she want to do tasks that are traditionally male?
2) How does Cody react to implications that his tasks of cooking and cleaning are traditionally women's tasks? Why does he respond this way?
3) What is the author saying about traditional roles of men and women in society?
Essay Topic 2
The characters argue with each other throughout the novel. Discuss the significance of arguments in the novel.
1) Why do some characters argue more than others? What causes Mo and Stew to argue? What causes Brian and Cody to argue?
2) What causes conflict and argument between Mo and Cody? What does this say about their relationship as father and son?
3) How are arguments different before the major storm, during the storm, and after the storm?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)