Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
2. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
3. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
4. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
5. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The novel centers around memory and remembering. Discuss these elements in the novel.
1) How is Bompie's failing memory during his illness important to the story? Why does Sophie want to keep Bompie's memory alive through his stories?
2) How is memory unreliable in the novel? How are Sophie and Bompie's memories both unreliable in different ways?
3) How does memory drive the characters? How do Sophie's repressed memories drive her? How do Dock's memories of Rosalie drive him?
Essay Topic 3
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)