|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock injure in the wave?
2. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
3. What not-so-good news do the travelers get when they call home?
4. How does Cody feel about his father's lessons in radio code?
5. What does Uncle Dock say, when Cody asks if Sophie knows what happened to her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie hear when Cody is actually asking about her harness?
2. What are Sophie and Uncle Dock's attitudes toward the autohelm?
3. What happens to the sails in the heavy wind?
4. What happens in the altercation between Sophie and Brian?
5. What dreams does Cody have about Sophie, after the storms are over?
6. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
7. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
8. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
9. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
10. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel all deal with tragedy and loss. Discuss dealing with tragedy in the novel.
1) How does Dock deal with the loss of Rosalie? How is this loss a tragedy for Dock?
2) How does Sophie deal with the loss of her parents?
3) What other tragedies do characters deal with? Is Stew's loss of his job a tragedy? Does Cody deal with tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author divide the novel into parts? What is the significance of the six parts of the novel?
2) Why do the chapters of the novel vary in length? What is different about the very short chapters? What role do these short chapters play in the novel?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)