|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets into a fight, as the boat approaches land?
2. What name does Cody give the black bird that visits the boat?
3. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
4. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
5. In Dock's story about the little girl, who does the girl go to live with immediately after her parents die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
2. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
3. What gift does Cody give his father?
4. What does Mo do after he gets back from the trip?
5. What is the weather like, the first night on the open ocean?
6. What do Stew and Mo argue about?
7. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
8. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
9. What is the significance of the stops the boat makes before setting out to sea?
10. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
Essay Topic 2
One of Sophie's primary personality traits is curiosity. Discuss Sophie's curiosity.
1) Why is Sophie curious about every new thing she encounters? Why does she ask so many questions?
2) Why does Sophie imagine living the lifestyles of new people she meets? What does imagining different lives do for Sophie?
3) How is Sophie's curiosity and enthusiasm contrasted with Brian's negativity and practicality? Is Sophie a dreamer because of her curiosity and enthusiasm?
Essay Topic 3
The characters argue with each other throughout the novel. Discuss the significance of arguments in the novel.
1) Why do some characters argue more than others? What causes Mo and Stew to argue? What causes Brian and Cody to argue?
2) What causes conflict and argument between Mo and Cody? What does this say about their relationship as father and son?
3) How are arguments different before the major storm, during the storm, and after the storm?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)