Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
2. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
3. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
4. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
5. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
Essay Topic 1
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
Essay Topic 2
Storytelling has an important role in the novel, through both Bompie and Sophie's storytelling. Discuss storytelling in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie tell Bompie's stories during the journey? What does Sophie add to these stories? Why does she choose certain stories to tell?
2) Why does Bompie share his stories with Sophie in his letters?
3) What is the significance of the "little kid" stories that Sophie tells?
Essay Topic 3
"The Wanderer" contains many instances of conflict. Discuss the three types of conflict in the novel.
1) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Man? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
2) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Nature? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
3) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Himself? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)