|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sophie's story, how does the little kid feel when people say the kid's parents have gone to heaven, a wonderful place?
2. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
3. Where does Cody sleep on his first night at Bompie's house?
4. When the winds pick up, what do the sailors do to the mainsail?
5. What did Cody's dad ask him after getting off the phone with Cody's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is told from two different point of view, Sophie's and Cody's. Discuss point of view in the novel.
1) How is Sophie's point of view different from Cody's? What does having two points of view add to the story?
2) How would the novel be different if it were told from a neutral point of view, instead of through the characters' journals?
3) Why is the same scene often presented twice, by the two different narrators?
Essay Topic 2
The novel centers around memory and remembering. Discuss these elements in the novel.
1) How is Bompie's failing memory during his illness important to the story? Why does Sophie want to keep Bompie's memory alive through his stories?
2) How is memory unreliable in the novel? How are Sophie and Bompie's memories both unreliable in different ways?
3) How does memory drive the characters? How do Sophie's repressed memories drive her? How do Dock's memories of Rosalie drive him?
Essay Topic 3
Death is central to the novel. Discuss death in the novel.
1) How does Sophie react to killing fish on the journey? What is her attitude toward the death of fish?
2) How does Sophie deal with the death of her parents and grandfather? How does she deal with the impending death of Bompie?
3) How do the characters deal with the prospects of their own deaths?
This section contains 1,766 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)