|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Sophie and Cody, when Sophie tell him the story of Bompie at the ocean?
2. In Sophie's story, how does the little kid feel when people say the kid's parents have gone to heaven, a wonderful place?
3. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
4. What does Sophie do when she finally realizes that she's telling Bompie her own story?
5. What not-so-good news do the travelers get when they call home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
2. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
3. How does Sophie feel about seeing Bompie, as the travelers near their destination?
4. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
5. What theory about death and life do Cody and Sophie discuss?
6. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
7. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
8. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
9. What does Mo do after he gets back from the trip?
10. What dreams does Cody have about Sophie, after the storms are over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Wanderer" contains many instances of conflict. Discuss the three types of conflict in the novel.
1) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Man? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
2) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Nature? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
3) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Himself? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie's journey in "The Wanderer" is something she must do to face her fears. Discuss facing fears in "The Wanderer".
1) Why do Sophie's parents allow her to go on the journey? What does her father mean when he says it's just something she has to do?
2) Why does Sophie say that in her stories Bompie keeps going in the water because he is facing his fears?
3) What are Sophie's fears of the ocean? How does she face them though the course of the novel?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)