|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew of The Wanderer do while they eat their food, after arriving on land?
2. Where are Sophie and Cody, when Sophie tell him the story of Bompie at the ocean?
3. What does Cody catch his father juggling, as the group starts out to sea?
4. What does Cody's dad say about dolphins?
5. Of the GPS, ham radio, and radar, what is still working after the massive wave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss careers in the novel.
1) How do the characters define themselves by their careers? How have Mo and Stew's careers changed them?
2) How does Sophie define herself by what she will be in the future? Why does she imagine different types of lives?
3) How do Sophie, Brian, and Cody view careers differently from each other?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is told from two different point of view, Sophie's and Cody's. Discuss point of view in the novel.
1) How is Sophie's point of view different from Cody's? What does having two points of view add to the story?
2) How would the novel be different if it were told from a neutral point of view, instead of through the characters' journals?
3) Why is the same scene often presented twice, by the two different narrators?
Essay Topic 3
Death is central to the novel. Discuss death in the novel.
1) How does Sophie react to killing fish on the journey? What is her attitude toward the death of fish?
2) How does Sophie deal with the death of her parents and grandfather? How does she deal with the impending death of Bompie?
3) How do the characters deal with the prospects of their own deaths?
This section contains 1,764 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)