Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
3. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
4. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
2. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
3. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
4. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
5. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
6. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
7. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
8. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
9. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
10. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
Essay Topic 1
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
Essay Topic 2
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie's journey in "The Wanderer" is something she must do to face her fears. Discuss facing fears in "The Wanderer".
1) Why do Sophie's parents allow her to go on the journey? What does her father mean when he says it's just something she has to do?
2) Why does Sophie say that in her stories Bompie keeps going in the water because he is facing his fears?
3) What are Sophie's fears of the ocean? How does she face them though the course of the novel?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)