Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
3. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
4. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
2. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
3. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
4. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
5. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
6. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
7. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
8. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
9. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
10. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author divide the novel into parts? What is the significance of the six parts of the novel?
2) Why do the chapters of the novel vary in length? What is different about the very short chapters? What role do these short chapters play in the novel?
Storytelling has an important role in the novel, through both Bompie and Sophie's storytelling. Discuss storytelling in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie tell Bompie's stories during the journey? What does Sophie add to these stories? Why does she choose certain stories to tell?
2) Why does Bompie share his stories with Sophie in his letters?
3) What is the significance of the "little kid" stories that Sophie tells?
Discuss animals in the novel.
1) How does Sophie relate to animals during the trip? What does her relationship with animals show about her experiences and personality?
2) How do Sophie's cousins relate to animals? Compare Cody and Brian's reactions to the creatures the travelers encounter. What do their reactions show about their personalities?
3) At what points in the journey are animals present or absent in the story? What is the significance of this?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)