|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
2. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
3. What do the travelers use to practice juggling?
4. What does Sophie say, when Cody is upset that his father berates him for going out to Wood Island?
5. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
2. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
3. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
4. Describe Uncle Mo.
5. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
6. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
7. What does the tall, lanky woman that Cody and Sophie meet show them?
8. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
9. In Cody's journal, how does he describe his mother?
10. Describe the nightmare the narrator has.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel all deal with tragedy and loss. Discuss dealing with tragedy in the novel.
1) How does Dock deal with the loss of Rosalie? How is this loss a tragedy for Dock?
2) How does Sophie deal with the loss of her parents?
3) What other tragedies do characters deal with? Is Stew's loss of his job a tragedy? Does Cody deal with tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)