|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
2. Why does Brian think no one likes him?
3. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
4. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
5. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
2. What happens to the car in Sophie's story about Bompie?
3. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
4. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
5. In Cody's journal, how does he describe his mother?
6. What is the sail to Nova Scotia supposed to be like?
7. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
8. What does Cody's mom tell him when he talks to her on the phone?
9. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
10. What does Sophie's mother do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author divide the novel into parts? What is the significance of the six parts of the novel?
2) Why do the chapters of the novel vary in length? What is different about the very short chapters? What role do these short chapters play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
One of the primary themes of the novel is identity. Discus identity in the novel.
1) What elements help Sophie to find her identity and sense of self? Why does Sophie find it difficult to find her identity and where she fits into the world?
2) How do family, experience, memory, careers, and heritage affect identity in the novel?
3) How is storytelling a part of building identity for Sophie? What other ways do characters build or understand their identities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss careers in the novel.
1) How do the characters define themselves by their careers? How have Mo and Stew's careers changed them?
2) How does Sophie define herself by what she will be in the future? Why does she imagine different types of lives?
3) How do Sophie, Brian, and Cody view careers differently from each other?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)