|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does most of the cooking and cleaning on the ship?
2. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
3. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
4. What does Uncle Mo do most of the time while the group is working on the boat?
5. What does Uncle Dock plan to teach the others on the journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
2. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
3. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
4. What happens in the altercation between Sophie and Brian?
5. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
6. Describe the nightmare the narrator has.
7. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
8. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
9. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
10. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss men and women's roles in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie get angry when she is cast in a traditional women's role? Why does she want to do tasks that are traditionally male?
2) How does Cody react to implications that his tasks of cooking and cleaning are traditionally women's tasks? Why does he respond this way?
3) What is the author saying about traditional roles of men and women in society?
Essay Topic 2
Storytelling has an important role in the novel, through both Bompie and Sophie's storytelling. Discuss storytelling in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie tell Bompie's stories during the journey? What does Sophie add to these stories? Why does she choose certain stories to tell?
2) Why does Bompie share his stories with Sophie in his letters?
3) What is the significance of the "little kid" stories that Sophie tells?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel all deal with tragedy and loss. Discuss dealing with tragedy in the novel.
1) How does Dock deal with the loss of Rosalie? How is this loss a tragedy for Dock?
2) How does Sophie deal with the loss of her parents?
3) What other tragedies do characters deal with? Is Stew's loss of his job a tragedy? Does Cody deal with tragedy?
This section contains 2,243 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)