|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
2. What does Sophie imagine being when she grows up, while visiting Seal Cove?
3. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
4. Who ends up driving Sophie to Connecticut?
5. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
2. How long have Sophie's uncles wanted to sail across the ocean?
3. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
4. Describe Uncle Stew.
5. What does Frank say happened to the bait in the empty pot?
6. Describe the nightmare the narrator has.
7. Describe Uncle Mo.
8. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
9. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
10. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wanderer deals with dangerous situations, and the characters all face death. Discuss the life-and-death struggles in the novel.
1) How do the characters change when they're faced with life-and-death situations? How does Cody change? How does Sophie change? How do the uncles change?
2) How do the characters respond differently to danger toward themselves and toward others?
3) What do life-and-death encounters reveal about the characters' relationships? How do characters' relationships change during the life-and-death struggle of the storm?
Essay Topic 2
"The Wanderer" contains many instances of conflict. Discuss the three types of conflict in the novel.
1) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Man? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
2) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Nature? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
3) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Himself? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss careers in the novel.
1) How do the characters define themselves by their careers? How have Mo and Stew's careers changed them?
2) How does Sophie define herself by what she will be in the future? Why does she imagine different types of lives?
3) How do Sophie, Brian, and Cody view careers differently from each other?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)