|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie think of Brian's lecture on points of sail?
2. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
3. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
4. Why did Sophie's family move?
5. How does Bompie act when Sophie' mother calls him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
2. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
3. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
4. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
5. What does Uncle Dock call and tell Sophie about their planned departure?
6. Describe Uncle Mo.
7. What does Cody's mom tell him when he talks to her on the phone?
8. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
9. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
10. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss careers in the novel.
1) How do the characters define themselves by their careers? How have Mo and Stew's careers changed them?
2) How does Sophie define herself by what she will be in the future? Why does she imagine different types of lives?
3) How do Sophie, Brian, and Cody view careers differently from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie's journey in "The Wanderer" is something she must do to face her fears. Discuss facing fears in "The Wanderer".
1) Why do Sophie's parents allow her to go on the journey? What does her father mean when he says it's just something she has to do?
2) Why does Sophie say that in her stories Bompie keeps going in the water because he is facing his fears?
3) What are Sophie's fears of the ocean? How does she face them though the course of the novel?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)