|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie imagine being when she grows up, while visiting Seal Cove?
2. When Cody asks Uncle Dock what happened to Sophie's parents, what does he say?
3. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
4. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
5. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
2. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
3. What does Sophie think of the Ohio River?
4. What does Frank say happened to the bait in the empty pot?
5. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
6. Describe Uncle Stew.
7. What does Cody's mom tell him when he talks to her on the phone?
8. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
9. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
10. What does Uncle Dock give Sophie's mother, that encourages Sophie's mother to let her daughter go on the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Sophie's primary personality traits is curiosity. Discuss Sophie's curiosity.
1) Why is Sophie curious about every new thing she encounters? Why does she ask so many questions?
2) Why does Sophie imagine living the lifestyles of new people she meets? What does imagining different lives do for Sophie?
3) How is Sophie's curiosity and enthusiasm contrasted with Brian's negativity and practicality? Is Sophie a dreamer because of her curiosity and enthusiasm?
Essay Topic 2
The novel centers around memory and remembering. Discuss these elements in the novel.
1) How is Bompie's failing memory during his illness important to the story? Why does Sophie want to keep Bompie's memory alive through his stories?
2) How is memory unreliable in the novel? How are Sophie and Bompie's memories both unreliable in different ways?
3) How does memory drive the characters? How do Sophie's repressed memories drive her? How do Dock's memories of Rosalie drive him?
Essay Topic 3
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)