|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
2. What reason does Uncle Mo give for not helping to clean?
3. Who gave Sophie her journal?
4. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
5. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
2. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
3. What happens to the car in Sophie's story about Bompie?
4. What does Sophie's mother do?
5. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
6. What is the sail to Nova Scotia supposed to be like?
7. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
8. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
9. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
10. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wanderer deals with dangerous situations, and the characters all face death. Discuss the life-and-death struggles in the novel.
1) How do the characters change when they're faced with life-and-death situations? How does Cody change? How does Sophie change? How do the uncles change?
2) How do the characters respond differently to danger toward themselves and toward others?
3) What do life-and-death encounters reveal about the characters' relationships? How do characters' relationships change during the life-and-death struggle of the storm?
Essay Topic 2
One of Sophie's primary personality traits is curiosity. Discuss Sophie's curiosity.
1) Why is Sophie curious about every new thing she encounters? Why does she ask so many questions?
2) Why does Sophie imagine living the lifestyles of new people she meets? What does imagining different lives do for Sophie?
3) How is Sophie's curiosity and enthusiasm contrasted with Brian's negativity and practicality? Is Sophie a dreamer because of her curiosity and enthusiasm?
Essay Topic 3
One of the primary themes of the novel is identity. Discus identity in the novel.
1) What elements help Sophie to find her identity and sense of self? Why does Sophie find it difficult to find her identity and where she fits into the world?
2) How do family, experience, memory, careers, and heritage affect identity in the novel?
3) How is storytelling a part of building identity for Sophie? What other ways do characters build or understand their identities?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)