|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock call the boat?
2. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
3. How old does Sophie say Bompie was when he left England?
4. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
5. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
2. What does Sophie do after she and her relatives get The Wanderer into the water?
3. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
4. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
5. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
6. What does the tall, lanky woman that Cody and Sophie meet show them?
7. Describe Uncle Mo.
8. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
9. What does Sophie think of the Ohio River?
10. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie's journey in "The Wanderer" is something she must do to face her fears. Discuss facing fears in "The Wanderer".
1) Why do Sophie's parents allow her to go on the journey? What does her father mean when he says it's just something she has to do?
2) Why does Sophie say that in her stories Bompie keeps going in the water because he is facing his fears?
3) What are Sophie's fears of the ocean? How does she face them though the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss animals in the novel.
1) How does Sophie relate to animals during the trip? What does her relationship with animals show about her experiences and personality?
2) How do Sophie's cousins relate to animals? Compare Cody and Brian's reactions to the creatures the travelers encounter. What do their reactions show about their personalities?
3) At what points in the journey are animals present or absent in the story? What is the significance of this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author divide the novel into parts? What is the significance of the six parts of the novel?
2) Why do the chapters of the novel vary in length? What is different about the very short chapters? What role do these short chapters play in the novel?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)