|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sophie feel about climbing all the way up to the bosun's chair?
2. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
3. What reason does Uncle Mo give for not helping to clean?
4. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
5. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
2. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
3. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
4. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
5. What does the tall, lanky woman that Cody and Sophie meet show them?
6. What is the sail to Nova Scotia supposed to be like?
7. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
8. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
9. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
10. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Wanderer" contains many instances of conflict. Discuss the three types of conflict in the novel.
1) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Man? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
2) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Nature? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
3) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Himself? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel all deal with tragedy and loss. Discuss dealing with tragedy in the novel.
1) How does Dock deal with the loss of Rosalie? How is this loss a tragedy for Dock?
2) How does Sophie deal with the loss of her parents?
3) What other tragedies do characters deal with? Is Stew's loss of his job a tragedy? Does Cody deal with tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is told from two different point of view, Sophie's and Cody's. Discuss point of view in the novel.
1) How is Sophie's point of view different from Cody's? What does having two points of view add to the story?
2) How would the novel be different if it were told from a neutral point of view, instead of through the characters' journals?
3) Why is the same scene often presented twice, by the two different narrators?
This section contains 2,266 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)