|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the sky when The Wanderer arrives at Seal Cove?
2. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
3. What does Uncle Mo do most of the time while the group is working on the boat?
4. What does Cody think Sophie is afraid of?
5. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
2. What does Uncle Dock call and tell Sophie about their planned departure?
3. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
4. What does Sophie think of the Ohio River?
5. What does Uncle Dock give Sophie's mother, that encourages Sophie's mother to let her daughter go on the trip?
6. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
7. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
8. In Cody's journal, how does he describe his mother?
9. How long have Sophie's uncles wanted to sail across the ocean?
10. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sea and The Wanderer are the main settings of this novel. Discuss setting and its importance in the novel.
1) Why is the sea the main setting of the novel? In what ways is the sea personified in the novel? What does Sophie expect from it? How does she respond to it?
2) How does The Wanderer function as a setting of the novel? What does the boat contribute to the novel? Why does the author set the novel on this boat?
3) How does setting affect the beginning and end of the journey, when the characters are in Kentucky, Grand Manan, Ireland, England, and elsewhere? How are these settings different from the sea and The Wanderer?
Essay Topic 2
Sophie's journey in "The Wanderer" is something she must do to face her fears. Discuss facing fears in "The Wanderer".
1) Why do Sophie's parents allow her to go on the journey? What does her father mean when he says it's just something she has to do?
2) Why does Sophie say that in her stories Bompie keeps going in the water because he is facing his fears?
3) What are Sophie's fears of the ocean? How does she face them though the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The Wanderer deals with dangerous situations, and the characters all face death. Discuss the life-and-death struggles in the novel.
1) How do the characters change when they're faced with life-and-death situations? How does Cody change? How does Sophie change? How do the uncles change?
2) How do the characters respond differently to danger toward themselves and toward others?
3) What do life-and-death encounters reveal about the characters' relationships? How do characters' relationships change during the life-and-death struggle of the storm?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)