|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the sky when The Wanderer arrives at Seal Cove?
2. How does Sophie's mom say that Bompie remembers his stories?
3. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
4. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
5. How does Sophie combat her uncles' objections to her going on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock call and tell Sophie about their planned departure?
2. In Cody's journal, how does he describe his mother?
3. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
4. What does Cody's mom tell him when he talks to her on the phone?
5. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
6. How long have Sophie's uncles wanted to sail across the ocean?
7. What is the weather like, the first night on the open ocean?
8. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
9. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
10. What happens to the car in Sophie's story about Bompie?
Essay Topic 1
One of the primary themes of the novel is identity. Discus identity in the novel.
1) What elements help Sophie to find her identity and sense of self? Why does Sophie find it difficult to find her identity and where she fits into the world?
2) How do family, experience, memory, careers, and heritage affect identity in the novel?
3) How is storytelling a part of building identity for Sophie? What other ways do characters build or understand their identities?
Essay Topic 2
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
This section contains 2,243 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)