Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
3. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
4. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
2. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
3. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
4. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
5. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
6. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
7. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
8. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
9. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
10. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the novel all deal with tragedy and loss. Discuss dealing with tragedy in the novel.
1) How does Dock deal with the loss of Rosalie? How is this loss a tragedy for Dock?
2) How does Sophie deal with the loss of her parents?
3) What other tragedies do characters deal with? Is Stew's loss of his job a tragedy? Does Cody deal with tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss animals in the novel.
1) How does Sophie relate to animals during the trip? What does her relationship with animals show about her experiences and personality?
2) How do Sophie's cousins relate to animals? Compare Cody and Brian's reactions to the creatures the travelers encounter. What do their reactions show about their personalities?
3) At what points in the journey are animals present or absent in the story? What is the significance of this?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
This section contains 2,222 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)