|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
2. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
3. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
4. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
2. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
3. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
4. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
5. What theory about death and life do Cody and Sophie discuss?
6. What happens to the sails in the heavy wind?
7. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
8. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
9. What dreams does Cody have about Sophie, after the storms are over?
10. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author divide the novel into parts? What is the significance of the six parts of the novel?
2) Why do the chapters of the novel vary in length? What is different about the very short chapters? What role do these short chapters play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The characters argue with each other throughout the novel. Discuss the significance of arguments in the novel.
1) Why do some characters argue more than others? What causes Mo and Stew to argue? What causes Brian and Cody to argue?
2) What causes conflict and argument between Mo and Cody? What does this say about their relationship as father and son?
3) How are arguments different before the major storm, during the storm, and after the storm?
This section contains 2,236 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)