|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the sides of Sophie?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
3. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
4. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
5. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
2. What does Sophie's mother do?
3. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
4. In Cody's journal, how does he describe his mother?
5. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
6. What does Sophie think of the Ohio River?
7. How long have Sophie's uncles wanted to sail across the ocean?
8. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
9. What is the sail to Nova Scotia supposed to be like?
10. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the primary themes of the novel is identity. Discus identity in the novel.
1) What elements help Sophie to find her identity and sense of self? Why does Sophie find it difficult to find her identity and where she fits into the world?
2) How do family, experience, memory, careers, and heritage affect identity in the novel?
3) How is storytelling a part of building identity for Sophie? What other ways do characters build or understand their identities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)