|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
2. What do the travelers use to practice juggling?
3. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
4. What does Cody think about all the stops The Wanderer makes?
5. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
2. What habit of speech does Cody have that annoys most of the people on the boat?
3. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
4. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
5. What does Sophie's mother do?
6. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
7. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
8. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
9. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
10. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the primary themes of the novel is identity. Discus identity in the novel.
1) What elements help Sophie to find her identity and sense of self? Why does Sophie find it difficult to find her identity and where she fits into the world?
2) How do family, experience, memory, careers, and heritage affect identity in the novel?
3) How is storytelling a part of building identity for Sophie? What other ways do characters build or understand their identities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie's journey in "The Wanderer" is something she must do to face her fears. Discuss facing fears in "The Wanderer".
1) Why do Sophie's parents allow her to go on the journey? What does her father mean when he says it's just something she has to do?
2) Why does Sophie say that in her stories Bompie keeps going in the water because he is facing his fears?
3) What are Sophie's fears of the ocean? How does she face them though the course of the novel?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)