|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
2. What question does Brian ask Cody?
3. What does Uncle Dock call the wind?
4. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
5. Who keeps yelling at Sophie to put away her journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie do after she and her relatives get The Wanderer into the water?
2. What is the sail to Nova Scotia supposed to be like?
3. How long have Sophie's uncles wanted to sail across the ocean?
4. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
5. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
6. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
7. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
8. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
9. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
10. Describe Uncle Stew.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Wanderer" contains many instances of conflict. Discuss the three types of conflict in the novel.
1) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Man? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
2) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Nature? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
3) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Himself? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
One of the primary themes of the novel is identity. Discus identity in the novel.
1) What elements help Sophie to find her identity and sense of self? Why does Sophie find it difficult to find her identity and where she fits into the world?
2) How do family, experience, memory, careers, and heritage affect identity in the novel?
3) How is storytelling a part of building identity for Sophie? What other ways do characters build or understand their identities?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel all deal with tragedy and loss. Discuss dealing with tragedy in the novel.
1) How does Dock deal with the loss of Rosalie? How is this loss a tragedy for Dock?
2) How does Sophie deal with the loss of her parents?
3) What other tragedies do characters deal with? Is Stew's loss of his job a tragedy? Does Cody deal with tragedy?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)