Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
3. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
4. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
2. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
3. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
4. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
5. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
6. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
7. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
8. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
9. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
10. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
The characters argue with each other throughout the novel. Discuss the significance of arguments in the novel.
1) Why do some characters argue more than others? What causes Mo and Stew to argue? What causes Brian and Cody to argue?
2) What causes conflict and argument between Mo and Cody? What does this say about their relationship as father and son?
3) How are arguments different before the major storm, during the storm, and after the storm?
One of Sophie's primary personality traits is curiosity. Discuss Sophie's curiosity.
1) Why is Sophie curious about every new thing she encounters? Why does she ask so many questions?
2) Why does Sophie imagine living the lifestyles of new people she meets? What does imagining different lives do for Sophie?
3) How is Sophie's curiosity and enthusiasm contrasted with Brian's negativity and practicality? Is Sophie a dreamer because of her curiosity and enthusiasm?
One of the primary themes of the novel is identity. Discus identity in the novel.
1) What elements help Sophie to find her identity and sense of self? Why does Sophie find it difficult to find her identity and where she fits into the world?
2) How do family, experience, memory, careers, and heritage affect identity in the novel?
3) How is storytelling a part of building identity for Sophie? What other ways do characters build or understand their identities?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)