|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
2. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
3. What does Sophie imagine being when she grows up, while visiting Seal Cove?
4. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
5. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
2. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
3. What does Uncle Dock give Sophie's mother, that encourages Sophie's mother to let her daughter go on the trip?
4. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
5. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
6. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
7. What does Sophie think of the Ohio River?
8. What does Sophie's mother do?
9. Describe Uncle Stew.
10. What does Frank say happened to the bait in the empty pot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters argue with each other throughout the novel. Discuss the significance of arguments in the novel.
1) Why do some characters argue more than others? What causes Mo and Stew to argue? What causes Brian and Cody to argue?
2) What causes conflict and argument between Mo and Cody? What does this say about their relationship as father and son?
3) How are arguments different before the major storm, during the storm, and after the storm?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel all deal with tragedy and loss. Discuss dealing with tragedy in the novel.
1) How does Dock deal with the loss of Rosalie? How is this loss a tragedy for Dock?
2) How does Sophie deal with the loss of her parents?
3) What other tragedies do characters deal with? Is Stew's loss of his job a tragedy? Does Cody deal with tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author divide the novel into parts? What is the significance of the six parts of the novel?
2) Why do the chapters of the novel vary in length? What is different about the very short chapters? What role do these short chapters play in the novel?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)