|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
3. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
4. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
2. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
3. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
4. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
5. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
6. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
7. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
8. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
9. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
10. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling has an important role in the novel, through both Bompie and Sophie's storytelling. Discuss storytelling in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie tell Bompie's stories during the journey? What does Sophie add to these stories? Why does she choose certain stories to tell?
2) Why does Bompie share his stories with Sophie in his letters?
3) What is the significance of the "little kid" stories that Sophie tells?
Essay Topic 2
The Wanderer deals with dangerous situations, and the characters all face death. Discuss the life-and-death struggles in the novel.
1) How do the characters change when they're faced with life-and-death situations? How does Cody change? How does Sophie change? How do the uncles change?
2) How do the characters respond differently to danger toward themselves and toward others?
3) What do life-and-death encounters reveal about the characters' relationships? How do characters' relationships change during the life-and-death struggle of the storm?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
This section contains 2,222 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)