|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
2. What does Sophie imagine being when she grows up, while visiting Seal Cove?
3. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
4. What does Sophie's father say about her trip?
5. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Cody's journal, how does he describe his mother?
2. What does Sophie's mother do?
3. What is the sail to Nova Scotia supposed to be like?
4. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
5. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
6. What does Uncle Dock give Sophie's mother, that encourages Sophie's mother to let her daughter go on the trip?
7. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
8. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
9. What does Frank say happened to the bait in the empty pot?
10. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the novel all deal with tragedy and loss. Discuss dealing with tragedy in the novel.
1) How does Dock deal with the loss of Rosalie? How is this loss a tragedy for Dock?
2) How does Sophie deal with the loss of her parents?
3) What other tragedies do characters deal with? Is Stew's loss of his job a tragedy? Does Cody deal with tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Cody and Brian as characters, and Mo and Stew as similar characters from the previous generation.
1) How are Cody and Mo similar? How are Brian and Stew similar? Is each generation a continuation of the past?
2) Why are Cody and Brian often at odds, just like Mo and Stew? What does this show about the family dynamic?
3) Why does the author choose family members with clear differences to include in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss careers in the novel.
1) How do the characters define themselves by their careers? How have Mo and Stew's careers changed them?
2) How does Sophie define herself by what she will be in the future? Why does she imagine different types of lives?
3) How do Sophie, Brian, and Cody view careers differently from each other?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)