|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Stew call six to eight foot waves?
2. What is the first leg of The Wanderer's planned journey?
3. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
4. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
5. What material does the boat-maker use in a technique to help his work stay smooth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
2. What happens to the car in Sophie's story about Bompie?
3. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
4. What does Frank say happened to the bait in the empty pot?
5. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
6. What does Uncle Dock call and tell Sophie about their planned departure?
7. What does Uncle Dock give Sophie's mother, that encourages Sophie's mother to let her daughter go on the trip?
8. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
9. Describe the nightmare the narrator has.
10. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss men and women's roles in the novel.
1) Why does Sophie get angry when she is cast in a traditional women's role? Why does she want to do tasks that are traditionally male?
2) How does Cody react to implications that his tasks of cooking and cleaning are traditionally women's tasks? Why does he respond this way?
3) What is the author saying about traditional roles of men and women in society?
Essay Topic 3
During the journey, the characters learn about each other. Discuss learning about other people in the novel.
1) How does Sophie learn about her uncles and cousins during the journey? What affect does this have on their relationships?
2) How does Cody learn about Sophie during the journey? How does Cody respond to his cousin and to learning about her?
3) How do Cody and Mo learn about each other during the journey? How does this affect their relationship as father and son?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)