|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
2. What does the crew call the new bilge box?
3. What is Cody always doing while he works?
4. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
5. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock give Sophie's mother, that encourages Sophie's mother to let her daughter go on the trip?
2. What does the tall, lanky woman that Cody and Sophie meet show them?
3. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
4. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
5. What chore will Sophie have to take a turn at that she's not looking forward to?
6. What does Uncle Dock call and tell Sophie about their planned departure?
7. How long have Sophie's uncles wanted to sail across the ocean?
8. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
9. What does Sophie's mother do?
10. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie is a young adolescent as the novel begins, and the journey she takes is part of the process of growing up. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Sophie grow as a result of her journey? What steps does she take toward becoming an adult?
2) How does Cody grow up as a result of the journey on The Wanderer? How does he change?
3) What have Sophie's uncles lost and gained in the process of growing up? What does Sophie learn about growing up from talking to them?
Essay Topic 2
"The Wanderer" contains many instances of conflict. Discuss the three types of conflict in the novel.
1) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Man? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
2) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Nature? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
3) What conflicts in the novel are Man versus Himself? How are these conflicts significant in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author divide the novel into parts? What is the significance of the six parts of the novel?
2) Why do the chapters of the novel vary in length? What is different about the very short chapters? What role do these short chapters play in the novel?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)