|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Stew really want to do for a living?
(a) He wants to be a sailor.
(b) He wants to be a firefighter.
(c) He doesn't know.
(d) He wants to be an artist.
2. When Cody's father tells him that Cody's been a good son and he's been a bad father, what does Cody think?
(a) Cody thinks he's wrong, that his father hasn't been so bad.
(b) Cody thinks he's right.
(c) Cody thinks he's wrong, that Cody hasn't been a good son.
(d) Cody thinks he's wrong, that he's been a bad son and his father hasn't been so bad.
3. How does Cody feel about his father's lessons in radio code?
(a) He enjoys them.
(b) He is disinterested in them.
(c) He finds them boring.
(d) He hates them.
4. What kind of "life insurance" does Sophie imagine getting at the end of Chapter 33?
(a) Insurance that life will be happy.
(b) Insurance that life will be interesting.
(c) Insurance that life will be long.
(d) Insurance that life will be quiet and stable.
5. Who is the one person who doesn't cry in the midst of the storm?
(b) Uncle Mo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cody contact the ship?
2. What do the crew do to practice radio code?
3. What job does Uncle Stew get?
4. What does Cody tell his father, as the sail-less boat is whipped by the waves?
5. What does Cody do after dreaming about Sophie's story about Bompie and his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
2. What dreams does Cody have about Sophie, after the storms are over?
3. What do Stew and Mo argue about?
4. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
5. What happens in the altercation between Sophie and Brian?
6. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
7. What is the significance of the stops the boat makes before setting out to sea?
8. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
9. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
10. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)