|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Sophie and Cody, when Sophie tell him the story of Bompie at the ocean?
(a) In the galley.
(b) At the helm.
(c) At the masthead.
(d) In their bunks.
2. What breaks in the wind?
(a) The main boom.
(b) The spreader.
(c) The jib.
(d) The masthead.
3. When the winds pick up, what do the sailors do to the mainsail?
(a) They let it out to make it bigger.
(b) They bring it down and replace it with a wind-sail.
(c) They tie it to make it smaller.
(d) They attach it to an additional sail.
4. Where is Rosalie leaving for?
5. What job does Sophie always end up with in the windstorm?
(a) Bailing out the water.
(b) Handling the helm.
(c) Fastening the boom.
(d) Managing the jib.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Mo say that his job is?
2. Does Bompie remember the stories Sophie tells him?
3. What do Brian, Sophie, and Cody plan on calling their raft to sail on the Ohio River?
4. What does Cody do after dreaming about Sophie's story about Bompie and his father?
5. How do the travelers get from Ireland to Wales?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
2. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
3. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
4. What happens to the sails in the heavy wind?
5. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
6. How does Sophie feel about seeing Bompie, as the travelers near their destination?
7. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
8. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
9. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
10. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)