|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cody's father tells him that Cody's been a good son and he's been a bad father, what does Cody think?
(a) Cody thinks he's wrong, that Cody hasn't been a good son.
(b) Cody thinks he's wrong, that his father hasn't been so bad.
(c) Cody thinks he's wrong, that he's been a bad son and his father hasn't been so bad.
(d) Cody thinks he's right.
2. In Dock's story about the little girl, who does the girl go to live with immediately after her parents die?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) A foster family.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her grandmother.
3. What does Uncle Mo give his family as presents?
4. What goes wrong with the boat's mainsail?
(a) A rip appears near the mast.
(b) It breaks free from a line.
(c) Two gromments are torn out.
(d) It tangles with the lines.
5. What type of ship does Cody contact?
(a) A Canadian warship.
(b) A French cargo ship.
(c) An American cruise ship.
(d) A South American tanker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sophie sleep her first night on land?
2. Who does Sophie overhear talking about Uncle Stew losing his job?
3. What name does Cody give the black bird that visits the boat?
4. How does Cody contact the ship?
5. What English landmark do the travelers sit near, on a bench while they eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Cody give his father?
2. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
3. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
4. What dreams does Cody have about Sophie, after the storms are over?
5. What does Sophie hear when Cody is actually asking about her harness?
6. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
7. What is the weather like, the first night on the open ocean?
8. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
9. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
10. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)