|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Cody's dad ask him after getting off the phone with Cody's mother?
(a) Want a pizza?
(b) Where's Sophie?
(c) Don't you have chores?
(d) What are you looking at?
2. What purpose do end knots serve?
(a) To stop lines from slipping through gromments.
(b) To secure lines to each other.
(c) To secure lines to the mast.
(d) To stop lines from pulling away from the deck fastenings.
3. Who answers the door at Bompie's house?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A maid.
(d) A nurse.
4. Who does Sophie overhear talking about Uncle Stew losing his job?
(a) Uncle Stew and Uncle Dock.
(b) Uncle Stew and Uncle Mo.
(c) Brian and Uncle Mo.
(d) Brian and Uncle Dock.
5. In Sophie's story, where does Bompie go to see the ocean?
(a) South Carolina.
(d) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sophie's story, how does Bompie get back to Kentucky after his visit to the ocean?
2. What English landmark do the travelers sit near, on a bench while they eat?
3. What do Brian and Sophie notice about the dolphins?
4. What poem does Dock recite from, when the boat reaches sight of land?
5. What do the voyagers conclude that the blips they're seeing on their radar are?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
2. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
3. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
4. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
5. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
6. What gift does Cody give his father?
7. What theory about death and life do Cody and Sophie discuss?
8. How does Sophie feel about seeing Bompie, as the travelers near their destination?
9. How does Sophie describe the color of the sea?
10. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)