|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
(a) Sea turtles.
(b) Phosphorescent plankton.
(c) A seaweed forest.
(d) Gulper eels.
2. After the destructive wave hits the boat, how does Cody say he feels?
(a) As if he's in a prison.
(b) As if he's a part of the ocean.
(c) As if he's having a dream.
(d) As if he's watching a movie.
3. After the wave hits, who pulls Sophie below the hatch?
(b) Uncle Mo.
(c) Uncle Dock.
(d) Uncle Stew.
4. In Sophie's story, what do Bompie and his father do after Bompie brings his father a pie?
(a) They laugh.
(b) They argue.
(c) They hug.
(d) They cry.
5. In Dock's story about the little girl, who does the girl go to live with immediately after her parents die?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) A foster family.
(d) Her uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the travelers eat on the bench near a London landmark?
2. How does Cody feel about his father's lessons in radio code?
3. Who gets into a fight, as the boat approaches land?
4. What purpose do end knots serve?
5. What did Cody's dad ask him after getting off the phone with Cody's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
2. As Dock tells his story of the little girl, what does Cody realize about Sophie's stories?
3. What gift does Cody give his father?
4. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
5. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
6. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
7. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
8. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
9. What settles the argument about where Bompie should live?
10. What happens in the altercation between Sophie and Brian?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)