|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Sophie always end up with in the windstorm?
(a) Handling the helm.
(b) Fastening the boom.
(c) Managing the jib.
(d) Bailing out the water.
2. Why does Uncle Stew order Cody to turn off the electrics?
(a) To lessen the danger from water that sloshes on deck.
(b) So they don't attract lightning.
(c) To save on power.
(d) So they don't interfere with other ships.
3. What does Cody's dad say about dolphins?
(a) Too bad they're just fish.
(b) Crazy life for a mammal.
(c) Makes you wish you were a fish.
(d) Makes you want to draw them.
4. How fast are the winds?
(a) Fifty knots.
(b) Sixty knots.
(c) Seventy knots.
(d) Forty knots.
5. What do the voyagers conclude that the blips they're seeing on their radar are?
(b) Wind funnels.
(c) Rain clouds.
(d) Small boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one person who doesn't cry in the midst of the storm?
2. How does Cody contact the ship?
3. What color blanket does the little kid lie down on in the story Sophie tells Cody?
4. After the wave hits, who pulls Sophie below the hatch?
5. What do the crew do to practice radio code?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
2. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
3. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
4. What does Sophie hear when Cody is actually asking about her harness?
5. What is the significance of the stops the boat makes before setting out to sea?
6. What happens in the altercation between Sophie and Brian?
7. How does Sophie describe life on the boat in the turbulent water?
8. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
9. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
10. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)