|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poem does Dock recite from, when the boat reaches sight of land?
(a) The ocean said to me once.
(b) The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
(c) The Ocean's Song.
(d) Out of the Rolling Ocean, the Crowd.
2. What level does Uncle Dock say the gale is?
3. What breaks in the wind?
(a) The masthead.
(b) The spreader.
(c) The main boom.
(d) The jib.
4. In Dock's story about the little girl, who does the girl go to live with immediately after her parents die?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) A foster family.
5. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word for D in radio code?
2. In Sophie's story, how does Bompie get back to Kentucky after his visit to the ocean?
3. What does Brian say he felt like when the wave hit?
4. When Cody first thinks he spots land, what does it turn out to be?
5. What is the difference between the wave in Sophie's dream and the wave that hit the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dreams does Cody have about Sophie, after the storms are over?
2. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
3. What are Sophie and Uncle Dock's attitudes toward the autohelm?
4. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
5. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
6. What happens to the sails in the heavy wind?
7. When the travelers arrive in Ireland, who are they able to reach by phone?
8. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
9. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
10. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)