|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
2. Where does Cody sleep on his first night at Bompie's house?
(a) On the floor.
(b) On the couch.
(c) On a rollaway bed.
(d) In a chair.
3. What similarity does Brian notice and comment on among Sophie's Bompie stories?
(a) Bompie always tells the truth about his accidents.
(b) Bompie always creates conflict with other people.
(c) Bompie always disobeys his father.
(d) Bompie always gets into trouble in water.
4. What job does Sophie always end up with in the windstorm?
(a) Handling the helm.
(b) Bailing out the water.
(c) Fastening the boom.
(d) Managing the jib.
5. When the winds pick up, what do the sailors do to the mainsail?
(a) They let it out to make it bigger.
(b) They attach it to an additional sail.
(c) They tie it to make it smaller.
(d) They bring it down and replace it with a wind-sail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Stew really want to do for a living?
2. Who decides to stay in England and take care of Bompie?
3. What breaks in the wind?
4. Who ends up staying behind to start the repair work on The Wanderer?
5. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory about death and life do Cody and Sophie discuss?
2. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
3. In Sophie's story about Bompie and his father, why does Bompie visit his father?
4. How does Cody describe the fog on the ocean journey?
5. How does Sophie feel about the ham radio?
6. How does Sophie feel about seeing Bompie, as the travelers near their destination?
7. What gift does Cody give his father?
8. What settles the argument about where Bompie should live?
9. What is the weather like, the first night on the open ocean?
10. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)