|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sophie's mom say that Bompie remembers his stories?
(a) She says he makes them up as he goes along.
(b) She says she doesn't know.
(c) She says they're all filed in little boxes in his head.
(d) She says they're like pictures in his head.
2. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
3. What do the two girls on the beach ask Cody and Brian?
(a) What time it is.
(b) Which way town is.
(c) How long they're staying for.
(d) Where they come from.
4. What warps Sophie's sense of time?
(a) The cloudy skies.
(b) Kitchen duty.
(c) Duty watches.
(d) The rhythm of the waves.
5. What does the crew call the new bilge box?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
2. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
3. What material does the boat-maker Cody, Brian, and Sophie visit mainly work with?
4. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
5. What does Sophie imagine being when she grows up, while visiting Seal Cove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sophie and Cody do to the sails of the boat, when they finally get them up again?
2. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
3. What seems different to Cody about the way Brian bugs Sophie, as they near Bompie's?
4. What does Cody notice that Sophie does when retelling the story of their journey?
5. What is the significance of the stops the boat makes before setting out to sea?
6. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
7. What happens to Bompie in the story of the swimming hole?
8. What does Sophie think of the Ohio River?
9. What does Uncle Stew say about the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current?
10. What habit of speech does Cody have that annoys most of the people on the boat?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)