|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the sides of Sophie?
(a) Absentminded and careless.
(b) Hardheaded and impulsive.
(c) Logical and down-to-earth.
(d) Dreamy and romantic.
2. What does Uncle Mo do most of the time while the group is working on the boat?
(a) He walks around the boat making "hmm" noises.
(b) He lays in the sun and sleeps.
(c) He yells at his son.
(d) He scrubs down the sides of the boat.
3. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A lumberyard.
(b) A reef.
(c) A beach.
(d) A swamp.
4. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
(a) They get very excited and want to learn to sail.
(b) They are jealous.
(c) They don't understand.
(d) They are interested and want to know more.
5. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
(a) Uncle Dock.
(c) Uncle Stew.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
2. How does the narrator describe sailing?
3. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
4. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sophie and Uncle Dock's attitudes toward the autohelm?
2. When everyone is up on deck in the midst of the storm, and Sophie sees them from the helm, what does she see?
3. What injury does Cody sustain in the large wave that hits the boat?
4. What happens to the sails in the heavy wind?
5. When the family comes to visit Bompie, how does he react?
6. Describe Uncle Mo.
7. What makes it difficult to find Bompie's house in the town of Thorpe?
8. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
9. What happens in the altercation between Sophie and Brian?
10. What quotation from Tennyson does Uncle Dock yell out?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)