|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie tell himself while he rushes to get to the other side of the river?
(a) Gosh almighty, gosh almighty!
(b) Mush-ye, mush-ye!
(c) Giddy-up, giddy-up!
(d) Oh no, oh no!
2. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
(a) Ignoramus stupid-head.
(b) Knuckleheaded doofus.
(c) No-good no-nothing know-it-all.
(d) Sour pus.
3. What does Cody think Sophie is afraid of?
(a) The journey's end.
(c) Open spaces.
(d) Going home.
4. How does the narrator describe sailing?
(a) Like floating in nothingness.
(b) Like flying over the water.
(c) Like being inside a painting.
(d) Like riding a wild beast.
5. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being watched all the time.
(b) Being at a job.
(c) Being a prisoner.
(d) Being on a roller coaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian plan to do, after Cody and Sophie get back from Wood Island?
2. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's family trade for a car?
3. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
4. Aside from Sophie, how many people are going on the sailing trip across the ocean?
5. What does Uncle Stew call Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
2. What does Cody's mom tell him when he talks to her on the phone?
3. What happens to the car in Sophie's story about Bompie?
4. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
5. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
6. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
7. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
8. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
9. What does Uncle Dock call and tell Sophie about their planned departure?
10. What does Frank say happened to the bait in the empty pot?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)