|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warps Sophie's sense of time?
(a) Kitchen duty.
(b) The rhythm of the waves.
(c) The cloudy skies.
(d) Duty watches.
2. How does Sophie combat her uncles' objections to her going on the trip?
(a) She shows her trophies and medals.
(b) She shows how she can do hard work.
(c) She shows her knowledge of sailing.
(d) She accuses them of being sexist.
3. How old is Sophie?
4. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
(a) Boat attitude.
(b) Boat bombast.
(c) Boat envy.
(d) Boat boxing.
5. What do the two girls on the beach ask Cody and Brian?
(a) How long they're staying for.
(b) What time it is.
(c) Which way town is.
(d) Where they come from.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
2. What does Sophie imagine being when she grows up, while visiting Seal Cove?
3. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
4. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
5. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
2. What habit of speech does Cody have that annoys most of the people on the boat?
3. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
4. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
5. What happens to the car in Sophie's story about Bompie?
6. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
7. What does Sophie initially plan to do the last day of school?
8. Describe the nightmare the narrator has.
9. In Cody's journal, how does he describe his mother?
10. How do the three brothers react when Brian asks if Stew has heard Sophie's baptism story before?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)