|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cody always doing while he works?
(a) Snapping and tapping.
(b) Flexing his muscles.
(c) Humming or singing.
(d) Tilting his head to the side to examine what he's doing.
2. What is the hardest part of killing and cleaning a bluefish for Sophie?
(a) Bludgeoning the fish.
(b) Breaking the spine.
(c) Hauling in the fish.
(d) Filleting the fish.
3. What reason does Uncle Mo give for not helping to clean?
(a) That he's got more other work than the rest of them.
(b) That he's too tired to clean.
(c) That he's a lousy cleaner.
(d) That he's allergic to cleaning.
4. How does Sophie feel about climbing all the way up to the bosun's chair?
(a) She doesn't let anyone know how she feels about it.
(b) She is frightened to climb up.
(c) She is willing to climb up, but doesn't really care.
(d) She is excited to climb up.
5. What does Cody discover his father doing below deck?
(a) Tearing up a letter.
(c) Punching a pillow.
(d) Hiding something under his mattress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew call the new bilge box?
2. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
3. Why did Sophie's family move?
4. Who gave Sophie her journal?
5. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie think of the Ohio River?
2. What happens to the car in Sophie's story about Bompie?
3. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
4. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
5. What habit of speech does Cody have that annoys most of the people on the boat?
6. What does the tall, lanky woman that Cody and Sophie meet show them?
7. Describe Uncle Mo.
8. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
9. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
10. What does Cody's mom tell him when he talks to her on the phone?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)