|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warps Sophie's sense of time?
(a) The rhythm of the waves.
(b) Kitchen duty.
(c) Duty watches.
(d) The cloudy skies.
2. What material does the boat-maker Cody, Brian, and Sophie visit mainly work with?
3. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
(a) Bompie is dating the pastor's daughter and brings her home late.
(b) Bompie messed up the cakes for the local bake sale.
(c) Bompie always makes a fuss when he is in church.
(d) The pastor has a conflict with Bompie's father about a piece of pasture.
4. What does Sophie say, when Cody is upset that his father berates him for going out to Wood Island?
(a) That he's right, and they shouldn't have gone.
(b) That he doesn't know what he's talking about.
(c) That Cody doesn't have to listen to him.
(d) That at least he's worried about Cody.
5. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
(a) Being able to start over from scratch.
(b) Seeing a new part of the country.
(c) Decorating a new room.
(d) Meeting new friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew call the new bilge box?
2. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
3. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
4. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
5. How does Sophie combat her uncles' objections to her going on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Uncle Stew.
2. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
3. What habit of speech does Cody have that annoys most of the people on the boat?
4. What does Uncle Dock give Sophie's mother, that encourages Sophie's mother to let her daughter go on the trip?
5. What happens to the car in Sophie's story about Bompie?
6. Describe the nightmare the narrator has.
7. What does Frank say happened to the bait in the empty pot?
8. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
9. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
10. In Cody's journal, how does he describe his mother?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)