|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Brian think no one likes him?
(a) He thinks he just doesn't understand how to talk to people.
(b) He has no idea why.
(c) He thinks they're jealous of his intelligence.
(d) He thinks people misinterpret everything he says.
2. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
(a) Being able to start over from scratch.
(b) Meeting new friends.
(c) Decorating a new room.
(d) Seeing a new part of the country.
3. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
(a) His lesson starts simply and gets more complicated.
(b) He makes funny jokes.
(c) He uses pictures to help teach.
(d) He teaches them a song to help them learn.
4. What does Uncle Dock plan to teach the others on the journey?
(a) How to read charts.
(b) How to fly fish.
(c) How to navigate by the stars.
(d) How to read the weather.
5. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
(a) A watch.
(b) A shell.
(c) A locket.
(d) A rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
3. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
4. How does Sophie feel about climbing all the way up to the bosun's chair?
5. What does Uncle Stew say when Brian asks what happened to Sophie's real parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Uncle Stew.
2. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
3. Describe Uncle Mo.
4. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
5. How long have Sophie's uncles wanted to sail across the ocean?
6. What is the sail to Nova Scotia supposed to be like?
7. What does Sophie do after she and her relatives get The Wanderer into the water?
8. What does the tall, lanky woman that Cody and Sophie meet show them?
9. Describe the nightmare the narrator has.
10. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)