|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the "lands" Sophie is usually in?
2. What does Uncle Stew call six to eight foot waves?
(a) Baby waves.
(b) Grade-school waves.
(c) Kindergarten waves.
(d) Toddler waves.
3. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being watched all the time.
(b) Being a prisoner.
(c) Being on a roller coaster.
(d) Being at a job.
4. How does Sophie feel about climbing all the way up to the bosun's chair?
(a) She is excited to climb up.
(b) She doesn't let anyone know how she feels about it.
(c) She is willing to climb up, but doesn't really care.
(d) She is frightened to climb up.
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) Four years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
2. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
3. How does Sophie's mom say that Bompie remembers his stories?
4. Who gave Sophie her journal?
5. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nightmare the narrator has.
2. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
3. What is the sail to Nova Scotia supposed to be like?
4. What does Frank's wife call Sophie?
5. What habit of speech does Cody have that annoys most of the people on the boat?
6. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
7. Describe the baptism Sophie attends.
8. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
9. What does the tall, lanky woman that Cody and Sophie meet show them?
10. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)