|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Mo do most of the time while the group is working on the boat?
(a) He scrubs down the sides of the boat.
(b) He yells at his son.
(c) He walks around the boat making "hmm" noises.
(d) He lays in the sun and sleeps.
2. Who gave Sophie her journal?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Uncle Dock.
(d) Her cousin.
3. What does Sophie say, when Cody is upset that his father berates him for going out to Wood Island?
(a) That Cody doesn't have to listen to him.
(b) That at least he's worried about Cody.
(c) That he doesn't know what he's talking about.
(d) That he's right, and they shouldn't have gone.
4. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
5. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
(a) That they were idyllic heroes.
(b) That they were snotty and disgusting.
(c) That they were plain and childish.
(d) That they were aloof and mysterious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cody discover his father doing below deck?
2. When dolphins come to the side of the boat, how big are their groups?
3. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
4. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
5. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie do after she and her relatives get The Wanderer into the water?
2. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
3. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
4. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
5. Why does everyone react strangely when Sophie explains what she plans to teach?
6. How do the dolphins act when they come up to the boat?
7. Describe Uncle Mo.
8. What does Cody's mom tell him when he talks to her on the phone?
9. What does Sophie think of the boat when she first sees it?
10. What does Sophie's mother do?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)