|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
(a) The coast of Florida.
(b) The coast of Virginia.
(c) The coast of South Carolina.
(d) The coast of Maine.
2. Who gave Sophie her journal?
(a) Her father.
(b) Uncle Dock.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her mother.
3. What advice does Sophie give Cody when he feels stuck on Grand Manan?
(a) It's not where you are that's importnat, it's who you are.
(b) It's how you think about where you are that makes the difference between happy and sad.
(c) It's not where you're going that's important, it's how you get there.
(d) A bad attitude will make the good things that start to happen invisible.
4. How does Sophie combat her uncles' objections to her going on the trip?
(a) She shows her knowledge of sailing.
(b) She accuses them of being sexist.
(c) She shows how she can do hard work.
(d) She shows her trophies and medals.
5. What does Sophie say, when Cody is upset that his father berates him for going out to Wood Island?
(a) That at least he's worried about Cody.
(b) That he doesn't know what he's talking about.
(c) That he's right, and they shouldn't have gone.
(d) That Cody doesn't have to listen to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
2. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
3. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
4. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
5. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Sophie tell Cody about a little kid she knows?
2. What does Cody's mom tell him when he talks to her on the phone?
3. What habit of speech does Cody have that annoys most of the people on the boat?
4. How does Brian act when he walks on the beach with Cody and Sophie?
5. Describe Uncle Mo.
6. How does The Wanderer look, compared to the other boats in Martha's Vineyard?
7. What does Uncle Dock do, when the fog comes in, and how does it affect Sophie?
8. Why does Uncle Mo worry while Cody and Sophie are away visiting Wood Island?
9. What does Sophie do after she and her relatives get The Wanderer into the water?
10. How did Uncle Dock get his nickname?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)