|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
(a) Boat boxing.
(b) Boat bombast.
(c) Boat attitude.
(d) Boat envy.
2. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie tell himself while he rushes to get to the other side of the river?
(a) Oh no, oh no!
(b) Gosh almighty, gosh almighty!
(c) Giddy-up, giddy-up!
(d) Mush-ye, mush-ye!
3. What material does the boat-maker Cody, Brian, and Sophie visit mainly work with?
4. How does Bompie act when Sophie' mother calls him?
(a) He is elated and very talkative.
(b) He doesn't seem to know who she is at first.
(c) He acts distracted, like something else is taking his attention.
(d) He is depressed and reflective.
5. Which of the following is not one of the "lands" Sophie is usually in?
6. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
7. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
(a) She says no, and she is telling the truth.
(b) She says yes, and she is telling the truth.
(c) She says yes, but she is lying.
(d) She says no, but she is lying.
8. What reason does Uncle Mo give for not helping to clean?
(a) That he's too tired to clean.
(b) That he's a lousy cleaner.
(c) That he's allergic to cleaning.
(d) That he's got more other work than the rest of them.
9. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
(a) He makes funny jokes.
(b) His lesson starts simply and gets more complicated.
(c) He uses pictures to help teach.
(d) He teaches them a song to help them learn.
10. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A friend.
(b) The wind.
(c) The sea.
(d) Her aunt.
11. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
(a) She keeps repeating how great it is to talk to Sophie.
(b) She keeps bursting into tears.
(c) She asks endless questions.
(d) She just tells Sophie to talk.
12. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being watched all the time.
(b) Being a prisoner.
(c) Being on a roller coaster.
(d) Being at a job.
13. What does the tall, lanky woman say is on Wood Island?
14. Who ends up driving Sophie to Connecticut?
(a) Both her parents.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A friend of her parents.
15. When dolphins come to the side of the boat, how big are their groups?
(a) Groups of six or seven.
(b) Groups of four or five.
(c) Groups of nine or ten.
(d) Groups of two or three.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of car does Frank drive?
2. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
3. How old is Sophie?
4. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
5. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)