|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
(a) He mocks the pastor.
(b) He punches the pastor.
(c) He bites the pastor.
(d) He dunks the pastor.
2. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
(a) Make up new business ideas.
(b) Suggest going on exotic trips.
(c) Invent strange machines.
(d) Draw fantastical pictures.
3. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
(a) That they were idyllic heroes.
(b) That they were aloof and mysterious.
(c) That they were snotty and disgusting.
(d) That they were plain and childish.
4. In his journal, what animals does Cody compare his father with?
(a) A cat and a spider.
(b) A slug and a crab.
(c) A shark and a jackel.
(d) A weasel and a snake.
5. What does Sophie want to fix on the boat?
(a) The mast.
(b) The sail.
(c) The bilge.
(d) The rudder.
6. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A lumberyard.
(b) A reef.
(c) A beach.
(d) A swamp.
7. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
(a) He uses pictures to help teach.
(b) He makes funny jokes.
(c) His lesson starts simply and gets more complicated.
(d) He teaches them a song to help them learn.
8. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
(a) To a bird sanctuary.
(b) To an old shipwreck.
(c) To an antiques gallery.
(d) To an art museum.
9. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie tell himself while he rushes to get to the other side of the river?
(a) Gosh almighty, gosh almighty!
(b) Giddy-up, giddy-up!
(c) Oh no, oh no!
(d) Mush-ye, mush-ye!
10. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) Two years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
11. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
(a) They are interested and want to know more.
(b) They don't understand.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They get very excited and want to learn to sail.
12. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's family trade for a car?
(a) Two mules.
(b) Two calves.
(c) Three chickens.
(d) A horse.
13. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) If he has any brains.
(b) How he stands his father.
(c) How he feels about her.
(d) If he has had a girlfriend.
14. How does Sophie's mom say that Bompie remembers his stories?
(a) She says they're like pictures in his head.
(b) She says he makes them up as he goes along.
(c) She says they're all filed in little boxes in his head.
(d) She says she doesn't know.
15. How does Sophie feel about climbing all the way up to the bosun's chair?
(a) She is frightened to climb up.
(b) She is excited to climb up.
(c) She is willing to climb up, but doesn't really care.
(d) She doesn't let anyone know how she feels about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material does the boat-maker use in a technique to help his work stay smooth?
2. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
3. What reason does Uncle Mo give for not helping to clean?
4. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
5. What is the hardest part of killing and cleaning a bluefish for Sophie?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)