|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Uncle Mo give for not helping to clean?
(a) That he's allergic to cleaning.
(b) That he's got more other work than the rest of them.
(c) That he's a lousy cleaner.
(d) That he's too tired to clean.
2. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
(a) That they were plain and childish.
(b) That they were idyllic heroes.
(c) That they were snotty and disgusting.
(d) That they were aloof and mysterious.
3. What does Uncle Dock plan to teach the others on the journey?
(a) How to read the weather.
(b) How to read charts.
(c) How to navigate by the stars.
(d) How to fly fish.
4. What does Sophie think of Brian's lecture on points of sail?
(a) His lecture is too boring.
(b) His explanations are too complicated.
(c) He is helpful and informative.
(d) His examples are too simplistic.
5. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
(a) Nothing, that they're in Kentucky.
(b) She pretends she doesn't hear him.
(c) That she doesn't remember.
(d) That she doesn't want to talk about it.
6. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
(a) Boat bombast.
(b) Boat attitude.
(c) Boat envy.
(d) Boat boxing.
7. What is Cody always doing while he works?
(a) Humming or singing.
(b) Tilting his head to the side to examine what he's doing.
(c) Snapping and tapping.
(d) Flexing his muscles.
8. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
(a) The pastor has a conflict with Bompie's father about a piece of pasture.
(b) Bompie messed up the cakes for the local bake sale.
(c) Bompie always makes a fuss when he is in church.
(d) Bompie is dating the pastor's daughter and brings her home late.
9. Which of the following is not one of the sides of Sophie?
(a) Hardheaded and impulsive.
(b) Absentminded and careless.
(c) Dreamy and romantic.
(d) Logical and down-to-earth.
10. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's family trade for a car?
(a) Two mules.
(b) Three chickens.
(c) A horse.
(d) Two calves.
11. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
(a) A broken watch.
(b) A lump of gold ore.
(c) A bead necklace.
(d) A string of shells.
12. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
(a) She asks endless questions.
(b) She keeps repeating how great it is to talk to Sophie.
(c) She keeps bursting into tears.
(d) She just tells Sophie to talk.
13. How many people can sleep on the boat?
14. What warps Sophie's sense of time?
(a) Kitchen duty.
(b) Duty watches.
(c) The rhythm of the waves.
(d) The cloudy skies.
15. What advice does Sophie give Cody when he feels stuck on Grand Manan?
(a) It's not where you are that's importnat, it's who you are.
(b) It's not where you're going that's important, it's how you get there.
(c) A bad attitude will make the good things that start to happen invisible.
(d) It's how you think about where you are that makes the difference between happy and sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Stew say when Brian asks what happened to Sophie's real parents?
2. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
3. Who keeps yelling at Sophie to put away her journal?
4. How many bluefish does the sailing catch on the sail toward Martha's Vineyard?
5. How does Sophie combat her uncles' objections to her going on the trip?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)