|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bompie act when Sophie' mother calls him?
(a) He doesn't seem to know who she is at first.
(b) He is elated and very talkative.
(c) He is depressed and reflective.
(d) He acts distracted, like something else is taking his attention.
2. What does Uncle Stew call six to eight foot waves?
(a) Grade-school waves.
(b) Kindergarten waves.
(c) Toddler waves.
(d) Baby waves.
3. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie tell himself while he rushes to get to the other side of the river?
(a) Oh no, oh no!
(b) Giddy-up, giddy-up!
(c) Mush-ye, mush-ye!
(d) Gosh almighty, gosh almighty!
4. What is the first leg of The Wanderer's planned journey?
(a) From Nantucket Island to Hilton Head Island.
(b) From Cape Fear Coast to Cumbrland Island.
(c) From Long Island Sound to Block Island.
(d) From Diamond Cove to Roanoke Island.
5. What does Sophie think of Brian's lecture on points of sail?
(a) His lecture is too boring.
(b) He is helpful and informative.
(c) His examples are too simplistic.
(d) His explanations are too complicated.
6. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
(a) Sour pus.
(b) Knuckleheaded doofus.
(c) Ignoramus stupid-head.
(d) No-good no-nothing know-it-all.
7. What question does Brian ask Cody?
(a) Whether Cody likes Sophie better than him.
(b) Whether Cody misses home yet.
(c) Whether Cody thinks they'll make it through the whole journey.
(d) Whether Cody'll let him read his journal.
8. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
(a) He bites the pastor.
(b) He punches the pastor.
(c) He mocks the pastor.
(d) He dunks the pastor.
9. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A beach.
(b) A reef.
(c) A swamp.
(d) A lumberyard.
10. Aside from Sophie, how many people are going on the sailing trip across the ocean?
11. Who gave Sophie her journal?
(a) Her father.
(b) Uncle Dock.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her mother.
12. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
(a) Uncle Stew's house.
(b) Uncle Mo's apartment.
(c) Uncle Dock's cottage.
(d) A rented cabin by the docks.
13. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
14. What do the travelers use to practice juggling?
(b) Hard rolls.
(d) Bags of pretzels.
15. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
(a) That they were aloof and mysterious.
(b) That they were snotty and disgusting.
(c) That they were idyllic heroes.
(d) That they were plain and childish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
2. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
3. What does Uncle Dock plan to teach the others on the journey?
4. How many people can sleep on the boat?
5. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)