|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
(a) Nothing, that they're in Kentucky.
(b) That she doesn't remember.
(c) She pretends she doesn't hear him.
(d) That she doesn't want to talk about it.
2. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) One year.
(d) Four years.
3. Who keeps yelling at Sophie to put away her journal?
(a) Her teachers.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
(a) A bead necklace.
(b) A string of shells.
(c) A lump of gold ore.
(d) A broken watch.
5. What does the crew call the new bilge box?
6. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) How he feels about her.
(b) If he has had a girlfriend.
(c) How he stands his father.
(d) If he has any brains.
7. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
8. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
(a) Boat attitude.
(b) Boat boxing.
(c) Boat bombast.
(d) Boat envy.
9. What does Uncle Stew say when Brian asks what happened to Sophie's real parents?
(a) That it's none of Brian's business.
(b) That he won't tell.
(c) That he doesn't know.
(d) Not to talk about it.
10. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
(a) To a bird sanctuary.
(b) To an old shipwreck.
(c) To an art museum.
(d) To an antiques gallery.
11. How old is Sophie?
12. What does Sophie think of Brian's lecture on points of sail?
(a) His examples are too simplistic.
(b) He is helpful and informative.
(c) His explanations are too complicated.
(d) His lecture is too boring.
13. What does Cody discover his father doing below deck?
(a) Punching a pillow.
(b) Tearing up a letter.
(d) Hiding something under his mattress.
14. How does the narrator describe sailing?
(a) Like floating in nothingness.
(b) Like flying over the water.
(c) Like riding a wild beast.
(d) Like being inside a painting.
15. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
(a) Catching a 20-pound fish.
(b) Being able to sail the boat on her own.
(c) Going clamming with Bompie.
(d) Having learned to sail when she was three.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brian think no one likes him?
2. What do the two girls on the beach ask Cody and Brian?
3. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
4. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
5. Aside from Sophie, how many people are going on the sailing trip across the ocean?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)