|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
(a) A watch.
(b) A locket.
(c) A shell.
(d) A rock.
2. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her grandmother.
3. What does Sophie want to fix on the boat?
(a) The mast.
(b) The sail.
(c) The rudder.
(d) The bilge.
4. What is Cody always doing while he works?
(a) Tilting his head to the side to examine what he's doing.
(b) Snapping and tapping.
(c) Flexing his muscles.
(d) Humming or singing.
5. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
6. What does Brian plan to do, after Cody and Sophie get back from Wood Island?
(a) He plans a chart of what each person is doing each day.
(b) He plans an emergency rescue system in case someone is lost at sea.
(c) He plans a schedule of visits to Wood Island.
(d) He plans a buddy system so no one goes off alone.
7. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Four years.
8. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
(a) Uncle Dock.
(b) Uncle Stew.
9. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
(a) She keeps repeating how great it is to talk to Sophie.
(b) She keeps bursting into tears.
(c) She asks endless questions.
(d) She just tells Sophie to talk.
10. Who ends up driving Sophie to Connecticut?
(a) Both her parents.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) A friend of her parents.
11. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
(a) Having learned to sail when she was three.
(b) Being able to sail the boat on her own.
(c) Going clamming with Bompie.
(d) Catching a 20-pound fish.
12. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
(a) Bompie always makes a fuss when he is in church.
(b) Bompie messed up the cakes for the local bake sale.
(c) Bompie is dating the pastor's daughter and brings her home late.
(d) The pastor has a conflict with Bompie's father about a piece of pasture.
13. What type of car does Frank drive?
(a) A pickup.
(b) A sedan.
(c) A van.
(d) A convertible.
14. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
(a) Seeing a new part of the country.
(b) Meeting new friends.
(c) Decorating a new room.
(d) Being able to start over from scratch.
15. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
(a) A bead necklace.
(b) A string of shells.
(c) A lump of gold ore.
(d) A broken watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
2. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
3. When dolphins come to the side of the boat, how big are their groups?
4. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
5. What do the two girls on the beach ask Cody and Brian?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)