|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) How he feels about her.
(b) If he has any brains.
(c) How he stands his father.
(d) If he has had a girlfriend.
2. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
(a) Invent strange machines.
(b) Make up new business ideas.
(c) Draw fantastical pictures.
(d) Suggest going on exotic trips.
3. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
(a) A freeway bridge.
(b) An electrical wire.
(c) A fallen tree.
(d) A train track.
4. Which of the following is not one of the sides of Sophie?
(a) Absentminded and careless.
(b) Logical and down-to-earth.
(c) Dreamy and romantic.
(d) Hardheaded and impulsive.
5. What does the tall, lanky woman say is on Wood Island?
6. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
(a) Being able to sail the boat on her own.
(b) Catching a 20-pound fish.
(c) Having learned to sail when she was three.
(d) Going clamming with Bompie.
7. How many bluefish does the sailing catch on the sail toward Martha's Vineyard?
8. What is Cody always doing while he works?
(a) Flexing his muscles.
(b) Snapping and tapping.
(c) Humming or singing.
(d) Tilting his head to the side to examine what he's doing.
9. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A reef.
(b) A swamp.
(c) A lumberyard.
(d) A beach.
10. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
(a) Ignoramus stupid-head.
(b) No-good no-nothing know-it-all.
(c) Sour pus.
(d) Knuckleheaded doofus.
11. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
(a) The pastor has a conflict with Bompie's father about a piece of pasture.
(b) Bompie messed up the cakes for the local bake sale.
(c) Bompie always makes a fuss when he is in church.
(d) Bompie is dating the pastor's daughter and brings her home late.
12. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
(a) They are jealous.
(b) They get very excited and want to learn to sail.
(c) They are interested and want to know more.
(d) They don't understand.
13. What does Cody think Sophie is afraid of?
(a) The journey's end.
(b) Open spaces.
(c) Going home.
14. What does Uncle Dock call the boat?
(a) His monkey.
(b) His pet.
(c) His hobby.
(d) His baby.
15. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
(a) A rock.
(b) A watch.
(c) A shell.
(d) A locket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Stew call six to eight foot waves?
2. What does Brian plan to do, after Cody and Sophie get back from Wood Island?
3. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
4. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
5. What does Sophie's father say about her trip?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)