|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
(a) He punches the pastor.
(b) He dunks the pastor.
(c) He bites the pastor.
(d) He mocks the pastor.
2. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
(a) The coast of South Carolina.
(b) The coast of Virginia.
(c) The coast of Florida.
(d) The coast of Maine.
3. Why did Sophie's family move?
(a) Sophie's mother got a new job.
(b) Sophie's mother missed the Kentucky mountains.
(c) Sophie's father inherited a house.
(d) Sophie's father wanted to be near his family.
4. How does Sophie's mom say that Bompie remembers his stories?
(a) She says they're like pictures in his head.
(b) She says she doesn't know.
(c) She says they're all filed in little boxes in his head.
(d) She says he makes them up as he goes along.
5. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
(a) They said she was too inexperienced.
(b) They said she was too aloof.
(c) They said she was too young.
(d) They said she was too clumsy.
6. What does Uncle Dock plan to teach the others on the journey?
(a) How to navigate by the stars.
(b) How to fly fish.
(c) How to read charts.
(d) How to read the weather.
7. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) Four years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
8. What do the travelers use to practice juggling?
(a) Bags of pretzels.
(d) Hard rolls.
9. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
(a) Make up new business ideas.
(b) Draw fantastical pictures.
(c) Suggest going on exotic trips.
(d) Invent strange machines.
10. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
11. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
12. What is the first leg of The Wanderer's planned journey?
(a) From Nantucket Island to Hilton Head Island.
(b) From Cape Fear Coast to Cumbrland Island.
(c) From Long Island Sound to Block Island.
(d) From Diamond Cove to Roanoke Island.
13. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being at a job.
(b) Being a prisoner.
(c) Being on a roller coaster.
(d) Being watched all the time.
14. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
15. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
(a) That they were snotty and disgusting.
(b) That they were plain and childish.
(c) That they were idyllic heroes.
(d) That they were aloof and mysterious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the sky when The Wanderer arrives at Seal Cove?
2. In his journal, what animals does Cody compare his father with?
3. Which of the following is not one of the "lands" Sophie is usually in?
4. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
5. Who keeps yelling at Sophie to put away her journal?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)