|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sophie feel about climbing all the way up to the bosun's chair?
(a) She is willing to climb up, but doesn't really care.
(b) She is frightened to climb up.
(c) She doesn't let anyone know how she feels about it.
(d) She is excited to climb up.
2. What does the tall, lanky woman say is on Wood Island?
3. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
(a) She says yes, and she is telling the truth.
(b) She says yes, but she is lying.
(c) She says no, and she is telling the truth.
(d) She says no, but she is lying.
4. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
(a) A shell.
(b) A rock.
(c) A locket.
(d) A watch.
5. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
(a) Make up new business ideas.
(b) Suggest going on exotic trips.
(c) Invent strange machines.
(d) Draw fantastical pictures.
6. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
(a) Uncle Dock's cottage.
(b) A rented cabin by the docks.
(c) Uncle Mo's apartment.
(d) Uncle Stew's house.
7. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A lumberyard.
(b) A beach.
(c) A swamp.
(d) A reef.
8. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
9. What does Uncle Dock call the wind?
(a) A raging bull.
(b) A fickle friend.
(c) A capricious lady.
(d) A troubled goddess.
10. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
(a) A fallen tree.
(b) A train track.
(c) A freeway bridge.
(d) An electrical wire.
11. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
(a) Six to eight weeks.
(b) Fifteen to sixteen weeks.
(c) Ten to twelve weeks.
(d) Three to four weeks.
12. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
(a) The coast of Florida.
(b) The coast of Virginia.
(c) The coast of Maine.
(d) The coast of South Carolina.
13. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
(a) The pastor has a conflict with Bompie's father about a piece of pasture.
(b) Bompie messed up the cakes for the local bake sale.
(c) Bompie is dating the pastor's daughter and brings her home late.
(d) Bompie always makes a fuss when he is in church.
14. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
(a) How to cook omelettes.
(b) How to juggle.
(c) How to dance.
(d) How to draw.
15. Who keeps yelling at Sophie to put away her journal?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bluefish does the sailing catch on the sail toward Martha's Vineyard?
2. When Cody asks Uncle Dock what happened to Sophie's parents, what does he say?
3. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
4. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
5. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)