|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
2. Who does most of the cooking and cleaning on the ship?
(b) Uncle Dock.
3. What do the two girls on the beach ask Cody and Brian?
(a) How long they're staying for.
(b) What time it is.
(c) Where they come from.
(d) Which way town is.
4. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
(a) They said she was too inexperienced.
(b) They said she was too clumsy.
(c) They said she was too aloof.
(d) They said she was too young.
5. In his journal, what animals does Cody compare his father with?
(a) A cat and a spider.
(b) A slug and a crab.
(c) A shark and a jackel.
(d) A weasel and a snake.
6. What does the tall, lanky woman say is on Wood Island?
7. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) How he stands his father.
(b) If he has any brains.
(c) If he has had a girlfriend.
(d) How he feels about her.
8. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
(a) A freeway bridge.
(b) An electrical wire.
(c) A fallen tree.
(d) A train track.
9. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
(a) She says yes, and she is telling the truth.
(b) She says yes, but she is lying.
(c) She says no, and she is telling the truth.
(d) She says no, but she is lying.
10. What does Cody discover his father doing below deck?
(b) Punching a pillow.
(c) Hiding something under his mattress.
(d) Tearing up a letter.
11. What does Sophie say, when Cody is upset that his father berates him for going out to Wood Island?
(a) That Cody doesn't have to listen to him.
(b) That at least he's worried about Cody.
(c) That he's right, and they shouldn't have gone.
(d) That he doesn't know what he's talking about.
12. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
(a) Uncle Stew's house.
(b) Uncle Dock's cottage.
(c) A rented cabin by the docks.
(d) Uncle Mo's apartment.
13. Why did Sophie's family move?
(a) Sophie's mother missed the Kentucky mountains.
(b) Sophie's mother got a new job.
(c) Sophie's father inherited a house.
(d) Sophie's father wanted to be near his family.
14. What does Sophie's father say about her trip?
(a) That he wishes he could go, too.
(b) That he is afraid for what might happen to her.
(c) That it's something she just has to do.
(d) That he doesn't understand why she has to go.
15. When Cody asks Uncle Dock what happened to Sophie's parents, what does he say?
(a) He promised Sophie's adopted parents not to talk about it.
(b) He doesn't know what happened to them.
(c) He will tell Cody the story when Cody is older.
(d) He won't tell Cody the upsetting story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the sides of Sophie?
2. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
3. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
4. When dolphins come to the side of the boat, how big are their groups?
5. Who gave Sophie her journal?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)