|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
(a) An apple pie.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A book.
(d) An empty box.
2. What does Sophie think of Brian's lecture on points of sail?
(a) His lecture is too boring.
(b) His examples are too simplistic.
(c) His explanations are too complicated.
(d) He is helpful and informative.
3. Who ends up driving Sophie to Connecticut?
(a) A friend of her parents.
(b) Her father.
(c) Both her parents.
(d) Her mother.
4. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
(a) Fifteen to sixteen weeks.
(b) Six to eight weeks.
(c) Three to four weeks.
(d) Ten to twelve weeks.
5. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
(a) She says yes, but she is lying.
(b) She says no, but she is lying.
(c) She says yes, and she is telling the truth.
(d) She says no, and she is telling the truth.
6. What does Uncle Stew say when Brian asks what happened to Sophie's real parents?
(a) That he doesn't know.
(b) That it's none of Brian's business.
(c) That he won't tell.
(d) Not to talk about it.
7. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
(a) A bead necklace.
(b) A broken watch.
(c) A lump of gold ore.
(d) A string of shells.
8. When Cody asks Uncle Dock what happened to Sophie's parents, what does he say?
(a) He promised Sophie's adopted parents not to talk about it.
(b) He won't tell Cody the upsetting story.
(c) He doesn't know what happened to them.
(d) He will tell Cody the story when Cody is older.
9. How does the narrator describe sailing?
(a) Like floating in nothingness.
(b) Like flying over the water.
(c) Like riding a wild beast.
(d) Like being inside a painting.
10. What does Cody discover his father doing below deck?
(a) Punching a pillow.
(c) Hiding something under his mattress.
(d) Tearing up a letter.
11. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
(a) That she doesn't want to talk about it.
(b) Nothing, that they're in Kentucky.
(c) She pretends she doesn't hear him.
(d) That she doesn't remember.
12. In his journal, what animals does Cody compare his father with?
(a) A slug and a crab.
(b) A cat and a spider.
(c) A weasel and a snake.
(d) A shark and a jackel.
13. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
(a) They said she was too aloof.
(b) They said she was too clumsy.
(c) They said she was too young.
(d) They said she was too inexperienced.
14. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
(a) She asks endless questions.
(b) She keeps repeating how great it is to talk to Sophie.
(c) She just tells Sophie to talk.
(d) She keeps bursting into tears.
15. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
(a) Decorating a new room.
(b) Seeing a new part of the country.
(c) Being able to start over from scratch.
(d) Meeting new friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock call the boat?
2. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
3. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
4. What color is the sky when The Wanderer arrives at Seal Cove?
5. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)