|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the travelers use to practice juggling?
(a) Hard rolls.
(d) Bags of pretzels.
2. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
(a) That she doesn't remember.
(b) She pretends she doesn't hear him.
(c) That she doesn't want to talk about it.
(d) Nothing, that they're in Kentucky.
3. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A lumberyard.
(b) A swamp.
(c) A reef.
(d) A beach.
4. Why did Sophie's family move?
(a) Sophie's father wanted to be near his family.
(b) Sophie's mother missed the Kentucky mountains.
(c) Sophie's mother got a new job.
(d) Sophie's father inherited a house.
5. How old is Sophie?
6. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
(a) Being able to sail the boat on her own.
(b) Having learned to sail when she was three.
(c) Catching a 20-pound fish.
(d) Going clamming with Bompie.
7. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) How he stands his father.
(b) If he has had a girlfriend.
(c) How he feels about her.
(d) If he has any brains.
8. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
(a) The first week in July.
(b) The last week in July.
(c) The first week in June.
(d) The last week in June.
9. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
(a) Uncle Stew.
(d) Uncle Dock.
10. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A book.
(c) An empty box.
(d) An apple pie.
11. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
(a) How to cook omelettes.
(b) How to dance.
(c) How to draw.
(d) How to juggle.
12. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
(a) His lesson starts simply and gets more complicated.
(b) He teaches them a song to help them learn.
(c) He makes funny jokes.
(d) He uses pictures to help teach.
13. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
14. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
(a) A crane.
(b) A system of pulleys.
(c) A special dolly.
(d) Good, old-fashioned muscle.
15. In his journal, what animals does Cody compare his father with?
(a) A shark and a jackel.
(b) A slug and a crab.
(c) A weasel and a snake.
(d) A cat and a spider.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
2. What does the tall, lanky woman say is on Wood Island?
3. What does Sophie think of Brian's lecture on points of sail?
4. Which of the following is not one of the "lands" Sophie is usually in?
5. What material does the boat-maker Cody, Brian, and Sophie visit mainly work with?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)