|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hardest part of killing and cleaning a bluefish for Sophie?
(a) Breaking the spine.
(b) Bludgeoning the fish.
(c) Filleting the fish.
(d) Hauling in the fish.
2. Who ends up driving Sophie to Connecticut?
(a) Her father.
(b) Both her parents.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A friend of her parents.
3. Who gave Sophie her journal?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Uncle Dock.
(d) Her cousin.
4. What do the two girls on the beach ask Cody and Brian?
(a) What time it is.
(b) Where they come from.
(c) How long they're staying for.
(d) Which way town is.
5. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
(a) The last week in July.
(b) The last week in June.
(c) The first week in July.
(d) The first week in June.
6. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
(a) A string of shells.
(b) A broken watch.
(c) A bead necklace.
(d) A lump of gold ore.
7. What does Sophie say, when Cody is upset that his father berates him for going out to Wood Island?
(a) That he's right, and they shouldn't have gone.
(b) That at least he's worried about Cody.
(c) That Cody doesn't have to listen to him.
(d) That he doesn't know what he's talking about.
8. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
(a) To a bird sanctuary.
(b) To an antiques gallery.
(c) To an art museum.
(d) To an old shipwreck.
9. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
(a) Boat attitude.
(b) Boat boxing.
(c) Boat envy.
(d) Boat bombast.
10. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being watched all the time.
(b) Being at a job.
(c) Being a prisoner.
(d) Being on a roller coaster.
11. What material does the boat-maker Cody, Brian, and Sophie visit mainly work with?
12. What does Cody think Sophie is afraid of?
(b) Open spaces.
(c) Going home.
(d) The journey's end.
13. How many people can sleep on the boat?
14. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
(a) His lesson starts simply and gets more complicated.
(b) He teaches them a song to help them learn.
(c) He uses pictures to help teach.
(d) He makes funny jokes.
15. What warps Sophie's sense of time?
(a) Duty watches.
(b) The rhythm of the waves.
(c) The cloudy skies.
(d) Kitchen duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
2. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
3. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
4. What is Cody always doing while he works?
5. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)