|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Stew call six to eight foot waves?
(a) Toddler waves.
(b) Baby waves.
(c) Kindergarten waves.
(d) Grade-school waves.
2. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
(a) A locket.
(b) A watch.
(c) A rock.
(d) A shell.
3. What does Sophie's father say about her trip?
(a) That it's something she just has to do.
(b) That he is afraid for what might happen to her.
(c) That he wishes he could go, too.
(d) That he doesn't understand why she has to go.
4. What does Cody discover his father doing below deck?
(b) Punching a pillow.
(c) Tearing up a letter.
(d) Hiding something under his mattress.
5. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
(a) The last week in June.
(b) The last week in July.
(c) The first week in July.
(d) The first week in June.
6. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
7. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being at a job.
(b) Being a prisoner.
(c) Being on a roller coaster.
(d) Being watched all the time.
8. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
(a) Sour pus.
(b) Ignoramus stupid-head.
(c) Knuckleheaded doofus.
(d) No-good no-nothing know-it-all.
9. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
(a) Invent strange machines.
(b) Suggest going on exotic trips.
(c) Make up new business ideas.
(d) Draw fantastical pictures.
10. How does Sophie's mom say that Bompie remembers his stories?
(a) She says they're all filed in little boxes in his head.
(b) She says they're like pictures in his head.
(c) She says she doesn't know.
(d) She says he makes them up as he goes along.
11. Who does most of the cooking and cleaning on the ship?
(a) Uncle Dock.
12. What does Sophie imagine being when she grows up, while visiting Seal Cove?
(a) A salmon fisherman.
(b) A ship builder.
(c) A lobster fisherman.
(d) A whaler.
13. What does Cody think about all the stops The Wanderer makes?
(a) He thinks they should stay longer at their destinations.
(b) He worries that the stops are setting them behind schedule.
(c) He thinks the stops are perfect.
(d) He thinks Uncle Dock seems to be stalling the main voyage.
14. How many people can sleep on the boat?
15. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
(a) She says yes, and she is telling the truth.
(b) She says yes, but she is lying.
(c) She says no, but she is lying.
(d) She says no, and she is telling the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
2. What question does Brian ask Cody?
3. How old does Sophie say Bompie was when he left England?
4. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
5. Aside from Sophie, how many people are going on the sailing trip across the ocean?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)