|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock call the competitiveness among boat owners in Martha's Vineyard?
(a) Boat boxing.
(b) Boat bombast.
(c) Boat envy.
(d) Boat attitude.
2. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
3. What type of car does Frank drive?
(a) A van.
(b) A convertible.
(c) A pickup.
(d) A sedan.
4. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
(a) Fifteen to sixteen weeks.
(b) Three to four weeks.
(c) Ten to twelve weeks.
(d) Six to eight weeks.
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) One year.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
6. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
7. What is the hardest part of killing and cleaning a bluefish for Sophie?
(a) Bludgeoning the fish.
(b) Breaking the spine.
(c) Filleting the fish.
(d) Hauling in the fish.
8. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
(a) Uncle Dock's cottage.
(b) Uncle Mo's apartment.
(c) Uncle Stew's house.
(d) A rented cabin by the docks.
9. What does Brian plan to do, after Cody and Sophie get back from Wood Island?
(a) He plans an emergency rescue system in case someone is lost at sea.
(b) He plans a chart of what each person is doing each day.
(c) He plans a buddy system so no one goes off alone.
(d) He plans a schedule of visits to Wood Island.
10. How old does Sophie say Bompie was when he left England?
11. How does Sophie feel about climbing all the way up to the bosun's chair?
(a) She is excited to climb up.
(b) She is frightened to climb up.
(c) She is willing to climb up, but doesn't really care.
(d) She doesn't let anyone know how she feels about it.
12. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
(a) The coast of Virginia.
(b) The coast of South Carolina.
(c) The coast of Maine.
(d) The coast of Florida.
13. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
(a) Bompie is dating the pastor's daughter and brings her home late.
(b) The pastor has a conflict with Bompie's father about a piece of pasture.
(c) Bompie messed up the cakes for the local bake sale.
(d) Bompie always makes a fuss when he is in church.
14. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A book.
(c) An empty box.
(d) An apple pie.
15. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being at a job.
(b) Being on a roller coaster.
(c) Being a prisoner.
(d) Being watched all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps yelling at Sophie to put away her journal?
2. What does Sophie imagine being when she grows up, while visiting Seal Cove?
3. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
4. When Cody asks Uncle Dock what happened to Sophie's parents, what does he say?
5. Who ends up driving Sophie to Connecticut?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)