|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cody asks Uncle Dock what happened to Sophie's parents, what does he say?
(a) He promised Sophie's adopted parents not to talk about it.
(b) He doesn't know what happened to them.
(c) He will tell Cody the story when Cody is older.
(d) He won't tell Cody the upsetting story.
2. What material does the boat-maker use in a technique to help his work stay smooth?
(a) Steel wool.
(c) Plastic wrap.
3. How does the narrator describe sailing?
(a) Like being inside a painting.
(b) Like flying over the water.
(c) Like floating in nothingness.
(d) Like riding a wild beast.
4. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Four years.
(d) One year.
5. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
(a) How to cook omelettes.
(b) How to juggle.
(c) How to draw.
(d) How to dance.
6. What is the first leg of The Wanderer's planned journey?
(a) From Nantucket Island to Hilton Head Island.
(b) From Long Island Sound to Block Island.
(c) From Diamond Cove to Roanoke Island.
(d) From Cape Fear Coast to Cumbrland Island.
7. Aside from Sophie, how many people are going on the sailing trip across the ocean?
8. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being a prisoner.
(b) Being watched all the time.
(c) Being on a roller coaster.
(d) Being at a job.
9. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
(a) She says yes, but she is lying.
(b) She says yes, and she is telling the truth.
(c) She says no, and she is telling the truth.
(d) She says no, but she is lying.
10. What does Uncle Stew call Sophie?
(a) The outsider.
(b) The leftover.
(c) The tag-along.
(d) The orphan.
11. Which of the following is not one of the "lands" Sophie is usually in?
12. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
(a) Ten to twelve weeks.
(b) Six to eight weeks.
(c) Three to four weeks.
(d) Fifteen to sixteen weeks.
13. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
(a) Decorating a new room.
(b) Being able to start over from scratch.
(c) Meeting new friends.
(d) Seeing a new part of the country.
14. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
(a) He bites the pastor.
(b) He mocks the pastor.
(c) He punches the pastor.
(d) He dunks the pastor.
15. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A beach.
(b) A swamp.
(c) A reef.
(d) A lumberyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sophie's mom say that Bompie remembers his stories?
2. How many bluefish does the sailing catch on the sail toward Martha's Vineyard?
3. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
4. How does Sophie feel about climbing all the way up to the bosun's chair?
5. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)