|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
(a) Catching a 20-pound fish.
(b) Going clamming with Bompie.
(c) Having learned to sail when she was three.
(d) Being able to sail the boat on her own.
2. What does the crew call the new bilge box?
3. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her cousin.
4. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
(a) To an art museum.
(b) To an antiques gallery.
(c) To a bird sanctuary.
(d) To an old shipwreck.
5. What does Sophie's father say about her trip?
(a) That he is afraid for what might happen to her.
(b) That it's something she just has to do.
(c) That he doesn't understand why she has to go.
(d) That he wishes he could go, too.
6. What does the tall, lanky woman say is on Wood Island?
7. How old does Sophie say Bompie was when he left England?
8. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
(a) A system of pulleys.
(b) Good, old-fashioned muscle.
(c) A crane.
(d) A special dolly.
9. When dolphins come to the side of the boat, how big are their groups?
(a) Groups of four or five.
(b) Groups of two or three.
(c) Groups of six or seven.
(d) Groups of nine or ten.
10. What does Uncle Stew call six to eight foot waves?
(a) Grade-school waves.
(b) Toddler waves.
(c) Kindergarten waves.
(d) Baby waves.
11. What is the hardest part of killing and cleaning a bluefish for Sophie?
(a) Bludgeoning the fish.
(b) Filleting the fish.
(c) Breaking the spine.
(d) Hauling in the fish.
12. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
(a) That she doesn't want to talk about it.
(b) She pretends she doesn't hear him.
(c) That she doesn't remember.
(d) Nothing, that they're in Kentucky.
13. What does Sophie want to fix on the boat?
(a) The mast.
(b) The bilge.
(c) The rudder.
(d) The sail.
14. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
(a) They said she was too clumsy.
(b) They said she was too aloof.
(c) They said she was too young.
(d) They said she was too inexperienced.
15. Which of the following is not one of the sides of Sophie?
(a) Hardheaded and impulsive.
(b) Logical and down-to-earth.
(c) Dreamy and romantic.
(d) Absentminded and careless.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
2. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
3. What advice does Sophie give Cody when he feels stuck on Grand Manan?
4. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
5. What does Uncle Dock call the wind?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)