|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cody discover his father doing below deck?
(a) Punching a pillow.
(b) Tearing up a letter.
(c) Hiding something under his mattress.
2. What material does the boat-maker Cody, Brian, and Sophie visit mainly work with?
3. How old does Sophie say Bompie was when he left England?
4. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) If he has any brains.
(b) If he has had a girlfriend.
(c) How he feels about her.
(d) How he stands his father.
5. What does the crew call the new bilge box?
6. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
(a) Sour pus.
(b) Ignoramus stupid-head.
(c) No-good no-nothing know-it-all.
(d) Knuckleheaded doofus.
7. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
(a) A shell.
(b) A rock.
(c) A watch.
(d) A locket.
8. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A friend.
(b) The wind.
(c) The sea.
(d) Her aunt.
9. What is Cody always doing while he works?
(a) Tilting his head to the side to examine what he's doing.
(b) Snapping and tapping.
(c) Humming or singing.
(d) Flexing his muscles.
10. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
(a) They get very excited and want to learn to sail.
(b) They don't understand.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They are interested and want to know more.
11. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
(a) His lesson starts simply and gets more complicated.
(b) He teaches them a song to help them learn.
(c) He makes funny jokes.
(d) He uses pictures to help teach.
12. What does the tall, lanky woman say is on Wood Island?
13. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
(a) That she doesn't remember.
(b) That she doesn't want to talk about it.
(c) She pretends she doesn't hear him.
(d) Nothing, that they're in Kentucky.
14. Aside from Sophie, how many people are going on the sailing trip across the ocean?
15. What does Uncle Dock call the wind?
(a) A capricious lady.
(b) A troubled goddess.
(c) A fickle friend.
(d) A raging bull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the "lands" Sophie is usually in?
2. When Cody asks Uncle Dock what happened to Sophie's parents, what does he say?
3. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
4. How does Bompie act when Sophie' mother calls him?
5. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)