|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
(a) They said she was too inexperienced.
(b) They said she was too clumsy.
(c) They said she was too young.
(d) They said she was too aloof.
2. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
3. Who is Sophie going to visit on the other side of the ocean?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her aunt.
4. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
5. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
6. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
(a) How to juggle.
(b) How to cook omelettes.
(c) How to draw.
(d) How to dance.
7. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
(a) He makes funny jokes.
(b) He teaches them a song to help them learn.
(c) His lesson starts simply and gets more complicated.
(d) He uses pictures to help teach.
8. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The wind.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) A friend.
(d) The sea.
9. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
(a) The coast of Florida.
(b) The coast of South Carolina.
(c) The coast of Maine.
(d) The coast of Virginia.
10. How old is Sophie?
11. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
(a) To a bird sanctuary.
(b) To an old shipwreck.
(c) To an antiques gallery.
(d) To an art museum.
12. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
(a) Suggest going on exotic trips.
(b) Draw fantastical pictures.
(c) Make up new business ideas.
(d) Invent strange machines.
13. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
(a) Three to four weeks.
(b) Ten to twelve weeks.
(c) Fifteen to sixteen weeks.
(d) Six to eight weeks.
14. What warps Sophie's sense of time?
(a) The cloudy skies.
(b) Kitchen duty.
(c) The rhythm of the waves.
(d) Duty watches.
15. Who ends up driving Sophie to Connecticut?
(a) A friend of her parents.
(b) Both her parents.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
2. What material does the boat-maker Cody, Brian, and Sophie visit mainly work with?
3. How old does Sophie say Bompie was when he left England?
4. In his journal, what animals does Cody compare his father with?
5. Which of the following is not one of the "lands" Sophie is usually in?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)