|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
(a) An apple pie.
(b) A whistle.
(c) An empty box.
(d) A book.
2. What does Uncle Stew call Sophie?
(a) The outsider.
(b) The orphan.
(c) The leftover.
(d) The tag-along.
3. What does Uncle Dock plan to teach the others on the journey?
(a) How to navigate by the stars.
(b) How to read the weather.
(c) How to fly fish.
(d) How to read charts.
4. What is the hardest part of killing and cleaning a bluefish for Sophie?
(a) Hauling in the fish.
(b) Filleting the fish.
(c) Bludgeoning the fish.
(d) Breaking the spine.
5. What does Sophie think of Brian's lecture on points of sail?
(a) His lecture is too boring.
(b) His explanations are too complicated.
(c) His examples are too simplistic.
(d) He is helpful and informative.
6. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
(a) Sour pus.
(b) Ignoramus stupid-head.
(c) Knuckleheaded doofus.
(d) No-good no-nothing know-it-all.
7. What dreamer-like thing does Sophie's father often do?
(a) Suggest going on exotic trips.
(b) Invent strange machines.
(c) Make up new business ideas.
(d) Draw fantastical pictures.
8. What does Sophie's father say about her trip?
(a) That he is afraid for what might happen to her.
(b) That he doesn't understand why she has to go.
(c) That he wishes he could go, too.
(d) That it's something she just has to do.
9. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
(a) A train track.
(b) An electrical wire.
(c) A fallen tree.
(d) A freeway bridge.
10. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
(a) Having learned to sail when she was three.
(b) Being able to sail the boat on her own.
(c) Catching a 20-pound fish.
(d) Going clamming with Bompie.
11. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
12. How long does Uncle Dock estimate that the whole trip will take?
(a) Fifteen to sixteen weeks.
(b) Three to four weeks.
(c) Ten to twelve weeks.
(d) Six to eight weeks.
13. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A lumberyard.
(b) A reef.
(c) A beach.
(d) A swamp.
14. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
(a) A watch.
(b) A rock.
(c) A shell.
(d) A locket.
15. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
(a) Good, old-fashioned muscle.
(b) A system of pulleys.
(c) A special dolly.
(d) A crane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material does the boat-maker use in a technique to help his work stay smooth?
2. How old is Sophie?
3. What does Uncle Dock call the wind?
4. Who does most of the cooking and cleaning on the ship?
5. Aside from Sophie, how many people are going on the sailing trip across the ocean?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)