|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
(a) An apple pie.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A book.
(d) An empty box.
2. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
(a) She keeps repeating how great it is to talk to Sophie.
(b) She keeps bursting into tears.
(c) She asks endless questions.
(d) She just tells Sophie to talk.
3. How many bluefish does the sailing catch on the sail toward Martha's Vineyard?
4. In the story Sophie tells, what does Bompie use to try to cross the Ohio River?
(a) A fallen tree.
(b) An electrical wire.
(c) A freeway bridge.
(d) A train track.
5. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
(a) A broken watch.
(b) A bead necklace.
(c) A string of shells.
(d) A lump of gold ore.
6. How many brothers and sisters does Frank's father have?
7. What does Cody think about all the stops The Wanderer makes?
(a) He thinks the stops are perfect.
(b) He thinks they should stay longer at their destinations.
(c) He thinks Uncle Dock seems to be stalling the main voyage.
(d) He worries that the stops are setting them behind schedule.
8. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
(a) The coast of Virginia.
(b) The coast of Florida.
(c) The coast of South Carolina.
(d) The coast of Maine.
9. What does Sophie say, when Cody is upset that his father berates him for going out to Wood Island?
(a) That Cody doesn't have to listen to him.
(b) That he's right, and they shouldn't have gone.
(c) That at least he's worried about Cody.
(d) That he doesn't know what he's talking about.
10. What does Sophie say when Cody asks what happened to her parents?
(a) She pretends she doesn't hear him.
(b) That she doesn't remember.
(c) That she doesn't want to talk about it.
(d) Nothing, that they're in Kentucky.
11. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's family trade for a car?
(a) Three chickens.
(b) Two mules.
(c) A horse.
(d) Two calves.
12. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
(a) A special dolly.
(b) A system of pulleys.
(c) Good, old-fashioned muscle.
(d) A crane.
13. What question does Brian ask Cody?
(a) Whether Cody misses home yet.
(b) Whether Cody likes Sophie better than him.
(c) Whether Cody thinks they'll make it through the whole journey.
(d) Whether Cody'll let him read his journal.
14. How many people can sleep on the boat?
15. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
(a) How to cook omelettes.
(b) How to juggle.
(c) How to draw.
(d) How to dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Sophie her journal?
2. What reason does Uncle Mo give for not helping to clean?
3. What does Uncle Stew call Sophie?
4. Why did some people object to the narrator sailing?
5. What does Brian plan to do, after Cody and Sophie get back from Wood Island?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)