|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie's father say about her trip?
(a) That he wishes he could go, too.
(b) That it's something she just has to do.
(c) That he is afraid for what might happen to her.
(d) That he doesn't understand why she has to go.
2. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie do to the pastor during the baptism?
(a) He punches the pastor.
(b) He mocks the pastor.
(c) He dunks the pastor.
(d) He bites the pastor.
3. What is Cody always doing while he works?
(a) Tilting his head to the side to examine what he's doing.
(b) Snapping and tapping.
(c) Humming or singing.
(d) Flexing his muscles.
4. What advice does Sophie give Cody when he feels stuck on Grand Manan?
(a) It's how you think about where you are that makes the difference between happy and sad.
(b) It's not where you're going that's important, it's how you get there.
(c) It's not where you are that's importnat, it's who you are.
(d) A bad attitude will make the good things that start to happen invisible.
5. What is Uncle Mo's name short for?
6. How does Bompie act when Sophie' mother calls him?
(a) He doesn't seem to know who she is at first.
(b) He is depressed and reflective.
(c) He acts distracted, like something else is taking his attention.
(d) He is elated and very talkative.
7. What question does Brian ask Cody?
(a) Whether Cody misses home yet.
(b) Whether Cody likes Sophie better than him.
(c) Whether Cody'll let him read his journal.
(d) Whether Cody thinks they'll make it through the whole journey.
8. What one thing does Sophie like about moving?
(a) Meeting new friends.
(b) Seeing a new part of the country.
(c) Being able to start over from scratch.
(d) Decorating a new room.
9. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
(a) The coast of Virginia.
(b) The coast of Maine.
(c) The coast of Florida.
(d) The coast of South Carolina.
10. What is the hardest part of killing and cleaning a bluefish for Sophie?
(a) Bludgeoning the fish.
(b) Filleting the fish.
(c) Hauling in the fish.
(d) Breaking the spine.
11. What does Uncle Dock call the wind?
(a) A troubled goddess.
(b) A capricious lady.
(c) A fickle friend.
(d) A raging bull.
12. What does Cody offer to teach the others on the trip?
(a) How to dance.
(b) How to cook omelettes.
(c) How to juggle.
(d) How to draw.
13. Why did Sophie's family move?
(a) Sophie's father inherited a house.
(b) Sophie's father wanted to be near his family.
(c) Sophie's mother got a new job.
(d) Sophie's mother missed the Kentucky mountains.
14. Why does Sophie think Cody is a good teacher?
(a) He uses pictures to help teach.
(b) His lesson starts simply and gets more complicated.
(c) He makes funny jokes.
(d) He teaches them a song to help them learn.
15. When dolphins come to the side of the boat, how big are their groups?
(a) Groups of six or seven.
(b) Groups of four or five.
(c) Groups of two or three.
(d) Groups of nine or ten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Mo do most of the time while the group is working on the boat?
2. What does Uncle Dock call the boat?
3. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
4. What does Brian plan to do, after Cody and Sophie get back from Wood Island?
5. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)