|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of Sophie's friends complain being on a boat would be like?
(a) Being at a job.
(b) Being watched all the time.
(c) Being a prisoner.
(d) Being on a roller coaster.
2. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's family trade for a car?
(a) Two mules.
(b) A horse.
(c) Three chickens.
(d) Two calves.
3. Where did Sophie and her family live previously?
(a) The coast of Florida.
(b) The coast of Maine.
(c) The coast of Virginia.
(d) The coast of South Carolina.
4. What does Stew say Claire thought of him and his brothers when she was young?
(a) That they were aloof and mysterious.
(b) That they were plain and childish.
(c) That they were snotty and disgusting.
(d) That they were idyllic heroes.
5. How many bluefish does the sailing catch on the sail toward Martha's Vineyard?
6. How long has Sophie been living with her adopted parents?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
7. What warps Sophie's sense of time?
(a) The cloudy skies.
(b) Duty watches.
(c) The rhythm of the waves.
(d) Kitchen duty.
8. How does the narrator describe sailing?
(a) Like flying over the water.
(b) Like being inside a painting.
(c) Like floating in nothingness.
(d) Like riding a wild beast.
9. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) How he stands his father.
(b) If he has any brains.
(c) If he has had a girlfriend.
(d) How he feels about her.
10. What do the two girls on the beach ask Cody and Brian?
(a) How long they're staying for.
(b) Which way town is.
(c) Where they come from.
(d) What time it is.
11. Who or what calls to the narrator at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The sea.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) The wind.
(d) A friend.
12. What type of car does Frank drive?
(a) A pickup.
(b) A convertible.
(c) A sedan.
(d) A van.
13. Aside from Sophie, how many people are going on the sailing trip across the ocean?
14. What does Cody think Sophie is afraid of?
(a) The journey's end.
(b) Open spaces.
(d) Going home.
15. What does Cody find and give to Sophie?
(a) A lump of gold ore.
(b) A bead necklace.
(c) A string of shells.
(d) A broken watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people can sleep on the boat?
2. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
3. In Sophie's story, what does Bompie's mother give him?
4. What does Uncle Mo do most of the time while the group is working on the boat?
5. What is the first leg of The Wanderer's planned journey?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)