|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Mo do most of the time while the group is working on the boat?
(a) He yells at his son.
(b) He lays in the sun and sleeps.
(c) He scrubs down the sides of the boat.
(d) He walks around the boat making "hmm" noises.
2. What does Uncle Stew call six to eight foot waves?
(a) Baby waves.
(b) Grade-school waves.
(c) Toddler waves.
(d) Kindergarten waves.
3. How does Sophie combat her uncles' objections to her going on the trip?
(a) She shows her knowledge of sailing.
(b) She accuses them of being sexist.
(c) She shows how she can do hard work.
(d) She shows her trophies and medals.
4. What does Cody call the two girls he sees walking down the beach toward him?
5. What does Sophie say when Uncle Stew asks if she's scared?
(a) She says yes, and she is telling the truth.
(b) She says no, but she is lying.
(c) She says yes, but she is lying.
(d) She says no, and she is telling the truth.
6. What does Brian plan to do, after Cody and Sophie get back from Wood Island?
(a) He plans a chart of what each person is doing each day.
(b) He plans a buddy system so no one goes off alone.
(c) He plans a schedule of visits to Wood Island.
(d) He plans an emergency rescue system in case someone is lost at sea.
7. What does Brian accuse Sophie of lying about?
(a) Catching a 20-pound fish.
(b) Going clamming with Bompie.
(c) Having learned to sail when she was three.
(d) Being able to sail the boat on her own.
8. In Sophie's story, why doesn't Bompie get along with the pastor?
(a) The pastor has a conflict with Bompie's father about a piece of pasture.
(b) Bompie always makes a fuss when he is in church.
(c) Bompie messed up the cakes for the local bake sale.
(d) Bompie is dating the pastor's daughter and brings her home late.
9. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) If he has had a girlfriend.
(b) How he feels about her.
(c) How he stands his father.
(d) If he has any brains.
10. What is Cody always doing while he works?
(a) Tilting his head to the side to examine what he's doing.
(b) Humming or singing.
(c) Snapping and tapping.
(d) Flexing his muscles.
11. What insult do Cody and Brian call each other after the baptism celebration?
(a) Ignoramus stupid-head.
(b) Knuckleheaded doofus.
(c) Sour pus.
(d) No-good no-nothing know-it-all.
12. How many people can sleep on the boat?
13. Who gave Sophie her journal?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Uncle Dock.
(d) Her cousin.
14. What does Uncle Stew call Sophie?
(a) The orphan.
(b) The leftover.
(c) The outsider.
(d) The tag-along.
15. What temperature is it most days, while Sophie and her relatives are working on the boat?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie think of Brian's lecture on points of sail?
2. Who keeps yelling at Sophie to put away her journal?
3. Which of the following is not one of the "lands" Sophie is usually in?
4. What does Sophie throw out over the water, after Brian makes a comment about Sophie's mother?
5. How do Sophie's friends react to her explaining about her relationship with the sea?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)