|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie's mother do when Sophie calls?
(a) She keeps repeating how great it is to talk to Sophie.
(b) She keeps bursting into tears.
(c) She asks endless questions.
(d) She just tells Sophie to talk.
2. What material does the boat-maker Cody, Brian, and Sophie visit mainly work with?
3. What does Uncle Dock call the boat?
(a) His monkey.
(b) His pet.
(c) His baby.
(d) His hobby.
4. What does Sophie wonder about Cody?
(a) How he feels about her.
(b) How he stands his father.
(c) If he has had a girlfriend.
(d) If he has any brains.
5. How many people can sleep on the boat?
6. When is the expedition planning to set sail?
(a) The first week in July.
(b) The last week in June.
(c) The last week in July.
(d) The first week in June.
7. What is used to lift the boat into the water?
(a) A system of pulleys.
(b) Good, old-fashioned muscle.
(c) A crane.
(d) A special dolly.
8. What advice does Sophie give Cody when he feels stuck on Grand Manan?
(a) A bad attitude will make the good things that start to happen invisible.
(b) It's not where you are that's importnat, it's who you are.
(c) It's how you think about where you are that makes the difference between happy and sad.
(d) It's not where you're going that's important, it's how you get there.
9. Where does Sophie live while working on the boat?
(a) Uncle Mo's apartment.
(b) Uncle Dock's cottage.
(c) Uncle Stew's house.
(d) A rented cabin by the docks.
10. How does the narrator describe sailing?
(a) Like riding a wild beast.
(b) Like floating in nothingness.
(c) Like being inside a painting.
(d) Like flying over the water.
11. What question does Brian ask Cody?
(a) Whether Cody likes Sophie better than him.
(b) Whether Cody thinks they'll make it through the whole journey.
(c) Whether Cody'll let him read his journal.
(d) Whether Cody misses home yet.
12. Where do Cody and Sophie go, while Uncle Dock is tinkering with the electrics?
(a) To a bird sanctuary.
(b) To an art museum.
(c) To an antiques gallery.
(d) To an old shipwreck.
13. Who writes down all the things that need to be fixed on the boat on a clipboard?
(a) Uncle Dock.
(b) Uncle Stew.
14. What does the tall, lanky woman say is on Wood Island?
15. Where did Joey find the boat he fixed up?
(a) A swamp.
(b) A beach.
(c) A lumberyard.
(d) A reef.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first leg of The Wanderer's planned journey?
2. How old is Sophie?
3. What does the crew call the new bilge box?
4. What does Uncle Stew call six to eight foot waves?
5. What does Sophie want to fix on the boat?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)