Discuss the importance of family in the novel.
1) How does Sophie's status as an orphan affect her sense of family? Is she, in some ways, not part of the family? How do her parents and Bompie make her part of their family?
2) How does family help build identity? How does family help the characters have a sense of themselves and their place in the world?
3) How does Sophie lose her birth family even more because of her repressed memories? How does the loss of these memories, in addition to the death of her parents and grandfather, affect her?
4) What is Cody's relationship with his father like? What does their relationship reveal about family?
The novel centers around memory and remembering. Discuss these elements in the novel.
1) How is Bompie's failing memory during his illness important to the story? Why does Sophie want to keep Bompie's memory alive through...
This section contains 1,516 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)