|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the animal that is stuffed in a mockery of the crucifixion?
(a) A mink
(b) A dog
(c) A squirrel
(d) A civet cat
2. What does Francisco see on the after he's wakened from his siesta?
(a) Children playing a game with reeds
(b) Naked men working
(c) Yovogan gathering reeds
(d) Young men practicing marksmanship
3. How much time passes before Francisco is named the Viceroy of Ouidah?
(a) A full five years
(b) Less than a year
(c) About a month
(d) Only three days
4. What is the toy Eugenia is given after her mother's death?
(a) An abacus
(b) A small train
(c) A wooden doll
(d) A wagon
5. What does the author say the walls of Abomy palace are made of?
(a) Mud and blood
(c) Blood, sweat and tears
6. How many ships are commissioned by Francisco, either privately or with partners?
(a) A hundred
(c) A dozen
(d) A fleet
7. What do the women's military group say killed Francisco?
(b) The night
(d) The king
8. What is Francisco doing when he learns that the king has been dethroned?
(a) Overseeing work in Mr. Lawson's factory
(b) Loading slaves aboard a ship
(c) Sleeping on the beach
(d) Playing chess
9. Which statement is true of Mr. George Lawson?
(a) He is a hunchback
(b) he owns a factory in Popos
(c) All the above
(d) He is mulatto
10. What do the Da Silva boys wear until they are about seven years old?
(b) Shorts and t-shirts
(c) Button-up shirts and slacks
(d) Long dresses
11. Who does Francisco call on to care for his twin daughters in Brazil?
(a) No one
(c) The Baron Paraiba
(d) Dona Luciana
12. What demands does Francisco make of the king?
(a) That he resume the sale of slaves
(b) That he make repairs to the Fort
(c) Taht he release prisoners
(d) All the above
13. How old was Jijibou when she married Francisco?
14. What do the king's tax-collectors take from Francisco's home?
(b) All the cowrie shells
(c) Art and furniture
(d) Everything that contains silver and gold
15. How are Francisco and Dona Luciana disguised as they try to sneak out of the country?
(a) As a ship's captain and his mistress
(b) As a French nobleman and his wife
(c) As soldiers
(d) As carnival dancers
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Francisco replace that first painting?
2. What do some believe about the king's bravery?
3. Why is Francisco not executed?
4. What do the captives believe is to be their fate as soon as they see the slave ships?
5. What is Francisco's answer when asked how many gifts he has?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)