|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Marcos Ferraez always carry with him on his rounds?
(a) A red bag
(b) A black briefcase
(c) A green carpet bag
(d) A yellow satchel
2. How many passengers are on board the canoe that takes Francisco to shore?
3. What scheme does Isadoro have in mind when he returns from France?
(a) A fleet for slave trading
(b) A mill for producing flax
(c) A pineapple plantation
(d) A palm oil factory
4. Who buries Taparica?
(a) No one, his body is left to rot
(b) A group of mourners
5. What does Dona Luciana wear on a velvet ribbon?
(a) A lock of her dead husband's hair
(b) A locket with her dead husband's photo
(c) A locket with her dead daughter's photo
(d) A lock of Francisco's hair
6. What sound does Francisco hear from the home of the doctor's wife that makes him stop to listen?
(a) A scream
(b) The pounding of spices
(c) An argument
(d) A song
7. What are the ships named for?
(b) Indian tribes
(c) Lovely women
8. What do the captives believe is to be their fate as soon as they see the slave ships?
(a) They'll be sold to plantations
(b) They'll be eaten
(c) They'll be sent to America
(d) They'll be forced to work in mines
9. How does Francisco know what time it is?
(a) By the actions of those around him
(b) He asks
(c) From his watch
(d) From the sun and the constellations
10. How much time passes before Francisco is named the Viceroy of Ouidah?
(a) Only three days
(b) Less than a year
(c) About a month
(d) A full five years
11. What do the king's tax-collectors take from Francisco's home?
(a) Everything that contains silver and gold
(b) Art and furniture
(c) All the cowrie shells
12. What name is given to the military group made up of women?
(a) The Vestial Virgins
(b) Francisco's Furious Fighters
(c) The King's Leopard Wives
(d) The Warring Women of Ouidah
13. Which is true of Mr. George Lawson's factory?
(a) Nothing is known of the factory
(b) It's seldom used but goats shelter there
(c) It's filled with material for making barrels and sails
(d) It's abandoned and falling down
14. Francisco is dipped in a vat filled with what liquid?
15. What is Taparica the Tambour wearing when Francisco arrives?
(a) A ragged Turkish rug
(b) Brown sandals
(c) A loose-fitting dress coat
(d) A top hat
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Ferraez and his wife live?
2. What demands does Francisco make of the king?
3. Francisco woke one night during the voyage covered in vomit. Why?
4. What are the king's sandals made of?
5. How many members of the da Silva family die of the disease?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)