|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Kankpe and Francisco drink from after forming their blood pact?
(a) A fine dish
(b) A skull cup
(c) A silver bowl
(d) A gourd
2. What was the main ambition of Jijibou's father?
(a) To have a white son-in-law
(b) To have his daughter well cared for
(c) To have grandchildren
(d) To become wealthy
3. How old was Jijibou when she married Francisco?
4. Why did the Portuguese boat stop at Popos?
(a) They needed new water kegs
(b) They had been in a storm and needed to repair the sail
(c) They had sick people and were in need of a doctor
(d) They wanted to offer Francisco passage to Ouidah
5. How many ships are commissioned by Francisco, either privately or with partners?
(a) A fleet
(c) A dozen
(d) A hundred
6. What is Francisco's answer when asked how many gifts he has?
(c) Only trinkets for the natives
(d) Something for everyone
7. What is Francisco doing when he learns that the king has been dethroned?
(a) Playing chess
(b) Loading slaves aboard a ship
(c) Overseeing work in Mr. Lawson's factory
(d) Sleeping on the beach
8. What item becomes a symbol of revolt?
(a) Scarlet silk material
(b) A green flag
(c) A dolphin
(d) Lengths of gold brocade
9. Why did Francisco replace that first painting?
(a) It made him angry
(b) It made him seasick
(c) It made him hungry
(d) It made him homesick
10. Which is true of Mr. George Lawson's factory?
(a) It's filled with material for making barrels and sails
(b) It's seldom used but goats shelter there
(c) It's abandoned and falling down
(d) Nothing is known of the factory
11. What is the souvenir Francisco provides to visiting French dignitaries?
(a) A silver toothpick shaped like a python
(b) A tapestry with a mythical creature woven into it
(c) A toothpick holder shaped like a porcupine
(d) A golden bowl shaped like a skull
12. Why is Francisco not executed?
(a) He is old and bound to die soon
(b) He is the king's blood brother
(c) He is not found guilty of any crime
(d) He pleads for mercy
13. What demands does Francisco make of the king?
(a) That he make repairs to the Fort
(b) All the above
(c) Taht he release prisoners
(d) That he resume the sale of slaves
14. Where does Francisco live?
(a) Over the governor's suite
(b) Aboard the slave ship
(c) In the fort
(d) In a hotel
15. What does Francisco see on the after he's wakened from his siesta?
(a) Naked men working
(b) Yovogan gathering reeds
(c) Young men practicing marksmanship
(d) Children playing a game with reeds
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king do with the skulls of his slain enemy?
2. What group seems to be immune from the disease sweeping the region?
3. What is the cause of Dona Luciana's death?
4. Why are the slaves amazed to see Francisco work on the repairs to the fort?
5. What is Francisco buried in?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)