|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Francisco buried in?
(a) A wooden box
(b) A rum barrel
(c) A gold casket
(d) A sack
2. What are the king's sandals made of?
(a) Silver braids
(b) Gold wire
(d) Peacock feathers
3. What is the second part of the pardon Francisco eventually receives?
(a) A declaration of debt and bankruptcy
(b) A promise to restore all his property in Ouidah
(c) A commendation for his role in ending the slave trade
(d) A promise to restore all his property in Brazil
4. What does Dona Luciana wear on a velvet ribbon?
(a) A locket with her dead husband's photo
(b) A locket with her dead daughter's photo
(c) A lock of her dead husband's hair
(d) A lock of Francisco's hair
5. Where does Dr. Ferraez and his wife live?
(a) Above the pharmacy
(b) In Francisco's house
(c) Above the governor's suite
(d) In a hotel
6. How old was Jijibou when she married Francisco?
7. Francisco woke one night during the voyage covered in vomit. Why?
(a) Francisco had been seasick for the entire voyage
(b) The ship had been in rough seas due to a tornado
(c) The sailors had played a joke on him
(d) The ship's cook had served bad fish
8. Why did Francisco replace that first painting?
(a) It made him angry
(b) It made him homesick
(c) It made him hungry
(d) It made him seasick
9. What sound does Francisco hear from the home of the doctor's wife that makes him stop to listen?
(a) A song
(b) A scream
(c) The pounding of spices
(d) An argument
10. What do the king's tax-collectors take from Francisco's home?
(a) Art and furniture
(b) All the cowrie shells
(d) Everything that contains silver and gold
11. What scheme does Isadoro have in mind when he returns from France?
(a) A fleet for slave trading
(b) A mill for producing flax
(c) A pineapple plantation
(d) A palm oil factory
12. Who does Jacinto's daughter marry?
(b) The king
(c) No one
13. In the verse the slaves chant on Francisco's plantation, what do the slaves predict about Francisco's well?
(a) That it will produce tainted water
(b) That it will run dry soon
(c) That it will never run dry
(d) That it will run dry when the slave trade ends
14. Which statement is true of Mr. George Lawson?
(a) he owns a factory in Popos
(b) All the above
(c) He is mulatto
(d) He is a hunchback
15. What do the women's military group say killed Francisco?
(a) The night
(d) The king
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Francisco to send forty-five loads of slaves to Bahia?
2. What is Yovogan wearing when he first encounters Francisco?
3. What is the cause of Yovogan's death?
4. Who buries Taparica?
5. Which of the following are among the improvements Francisco makes after being named viceroy?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)