|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king do with the skulls of his slain enemy?
(a) Use them as teh base of his throne
(b) Drinks from them
(c) Holds conversations with them
(d) All the above
2. What was the main ambition of Jijibou's father?
(a) To become wealthy
(b) To have his daughter well cared for
(c) To have grandchildren
(d) To have a white son-in-law
3. Which statement is true of Mr. George Lawson?
(a) He is a hunchback
(b) He is mulatto
(c) he owns a factory in Popos
(d) All the above
4. What was the first picture Francisco had on the wall facing his bed?
(a) A still life of fruit
(b) A portrait of Jijibou
(c) A scene from Bahia
(d) An ocean scene
5. What is Francisco doing when he learns that the king has been dethroned?
(a) Sleeping on the beach
(b) Playing chess
(c) Overseeing work in Mr. Lawson's factory
(d) Loading slaves aboard a ship
6. What factors make Francisco take Jacinto as his assistant?
(a) His head for money and his ability to understand other languages
(b) He ability to read and write
(c) His condemnation of the slave trade and his understanding of finance
(d) His head for figures and his reliability
7. Who does Jacinto's daughter marry?
(b) The king
(c) No one
8. What do the captives believe is to be their fate as soon as they see the slave ships?
(a) They'll be eaten
(b) They'll be sold to plantations
(c) They'll be sent to America
(d) They'll be forced to work in mines
9. What color is Francisco's hair at age fifty?
10. What does "Simbodji" mean?
(a) Big Rock
(b) Big Wealth
(c) Big Money
(d) Big House
11. What do Kankpe and Francisco drink from after forming their blood pact?
(a) A gourd
(b) A fine dish
(c) A silver bowl
(d) A skull cup
12. What is used to make the rosaries that are the prized possession of Yovogan?
(a) Human teeth
(b) Jaguar claws
(c) Gold nuggets
13. How many ships are commissioned by Francisco, either privately or with partners?
(a) A hundred
(c) A fleet
(d) A dozen
14. Who is Kankpe?
(a) A military man
(b) The king's halfbrother
(c) A court musician
(d) Jijibou's brotehr
15. What is Francisco's answer when asked how many gifts he has?
(b) Something for everyone
(d) Only trinkets for the natives
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women's military group say killed Francisco?
2. How does Francisco know what time it is?
3. Who does Francisco call on to care for his twin daughters in Brazil?
4. Why are the slaves amazed to see Francisco work on the repairs to the fort?
5. What is the fate of Francisco's twin daughters?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)