|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the ships named for?
(c) Indian tribes
(d) Lovely women
2. Who arrives to convince Francisco to return to Ouidah?
(b) The king
3. Why does Francisco's son save everything his father writes?
(a) He wants to give the words to his own son someday
(b) He knows his father is wise and wants to learn
(c) He is ordered to be sure his father doesn't give away state secrets
(d) He hopes to ifnd clues about the fortune he believes his father has hidden
4. What do the captives believe is to be their fate as soon as they see the slave ships?
(a) They'll be forced to work in mines
(b) They'll be sold to plantations
(c) They'll be sent to America
(d) They'll be eaten
5. What are the king's sandals made of?
(a) Peacock feathers
(b) Silver braids
(d) Gold wire
6. Where does Dr. Ferraez and his wife live?
(a) Above the pharmacy
(b) In Francisco's house
(c) In a hotel
(d) Above the governor's suite
7. What do the Da Silva boys wear until they are about seven years old?
(a) Shorts and t-shirts
(b) Long dresses
(c) Button-up shirts and slacks
8. Who is Kankpe?
(a) A court musician
(b) Jijibou's brotehr
(c) The king's halfbrother
(d) A military man
9. What scheme does Isadoro have in mind when he returns from France?
(a) A fleet for slave trading
(b) A mill for producing flax
(c) A palm oil factory
(d) A pineapple plantation
10. Who does Francisco call on to care for his twin daughters in Brazil?
(a) No one
(c) The Baron Paraiba
(d) Dona Luciana
11. What is Taparica the Tambour wearing when Francisco arrives?
(a) A loose-fitting dress coat
(b) A top hat
(c) A ragged Turkish rug
(d) Brown sandals
12. What does Dr. Marcos Ferraez always carry with him on his rounds?
(a) A green carpet bag
(b) A black briefcase
(c) A red bag
(d) A yellow satchel
13. What is Yovogan wearing when he first encounters Francisco?
(a) White muslin
(b) Green brocade
(d) Pink satin
14. What is the second part of the pardon Francisco eventually receives?
(a) A declaration of debt and bankruptcy
(b) A promise to restore all his property in Brazil
(c) A promise to restore all his property in Ouidah
(d) A commendation for his role in ending the slave trade
15. What is the souvenir Francisco provides to visiting French dignitaries?
(a) A tapestry with a mythical creature woven into it
(b) A toothpick holder shaped like a porcupine
(c) A silver toothpick shaped like a python
(d) A golden bowl shaped like a skull
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some believe about the king's bravery?
2. How many passengers are on board the canoe that takes Francisco to shore?
3. What point does Francisco emphasize in his letter to Joaquim?
4. What do Kankpe and Francisco drink from after forming their blood pact?
5. How old was Jijibou when she married Francisco?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)