|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a central theme in all of Freud's work?
(a) The conflict and relationships of the family.
(c) The ego and the id.
(d) Suppressed desires.
2. What happens in the second stage of a child's developmental process, according to Freud?
(a) The child begins to question his or her parents.
(b) The child may begin to hate his or her parents.
(c) The child loves no one.
(d) The child may fantasize that he or she was adopted.
3. What are men searching for when the admire women with long feet?
(a) The male's penis.
(b) The male's privates.
(c) The female penis.
(d) The female privates.
4. What animal opens up Da Vinci's mouth in his memory from when he was a baby?
(a) A vulture.
(b) A pelican.
(c) A rooster.
(d) A crane.
5. Who did Da Vinci have a strong identification with, like most homosexuals according to Freud?
(a) His mother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) His best girl friend.
6. What images result when a child's attempts to retain the image of his or her parents?
(a) The image is distorted.
(b) A real version of their parents takes place.
(c) A fantasy version of their parents takes place.
7. What did Da Vinci never take interest in?
8. What is the word fly related to in many languages?
(c) The female sexual organ.
(d) The male sexual organ.
9. What does Freud discern is very unlikely Da Vinci ever did?
(a) Slept with a woman.
(b) Saw a movie.
(c) Ate an animal.
(d) Read a book.
10. What does Freud call the process of one generation superseding another?
(a) Desire to overdo.
(b) Desire to be better.
(c) The growth of civilization.
11. What does the process of growth of children in the family involve, according to Freud?
(a) The desire for the child to supersede his or her parents.
(b) The desire for the child to learn.
(c) The desire for the child to give.
(d) The desire for the child to imitate his or her parents.
12. How did Da Vinci perceive romantic love?
(a) With regret.
(b) With disgust.
(c) With hope.
(d) Too idealized.
13. Who was Da Vinci only halfheartedly accepted by?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His father.
14. What is the family romance fantasy an attempt of the subconscious to reconcile with?
(a) A missing element of one's life.
(b) The idolization and love of the parents that comes with the unwelcome, ugly truth.
(c) A desire for parental love.
(d) A lack of love and companionship.
15. What is a child's perception of his or her parent's sexual role?
(a) They are informed, but still do not understand.
(b) They do not understand.
(c) They are ignorant to it.
(d) They understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts is "Leonardo da Vinci and a Memory of his Childhood" divided into?
2. Who kills his father and marries his mother?
3. How do children tend to think of the father, according to Freud?
4. What body part appears repeatedly in Da Vinci's art?
5. What does God mean to Freud?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)