|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image does a child try to retain?
(a) The good image of his parents.
(b) The bad image of his parents.
(c) The happy childhood he or she had.
(d) The happy memories of his or her parents.
2. How was Da Vinci described?
(a) Stable and happy.
(b) Imperfect and unhappy.
(c) Happy and imperfect.
(d) Unstable and melancholy.
3. Who was exiled from his family as a child?
(b) Oedipus's mom.
4. What does Freud associate Da Vinci's view of his father to?
(a) His view of God.
(b) His view of love.
(c) His view of religion.
(d) His view of life.
5. What does the first part of "Leonardo da Vinci and a Memory of his Childhood" discuss?
(a) Why psychoanalysts should be interested in great thinkers like Da Vinci.
(b) What the artist can do for the public.
(c) Why he will analyze Da Vinci.
(d) The artist's eye.
6. What smacks baby Da Vinci on the lips in his childhood memory?
(a) The rooster's tail.
(b) The vulture's tail.
(c) The vulture's hand.
(d) The crane's tail.
7. What does God mean to Freud?
(a) He is an idealized and exalted figure.
(b) He gives him peace.
(c) He does not believe in him.
(d) He calms him.
8. What does the image a child had of his or her parents turn into during his or her adult life?
(a) The basis of their dreams.
(b) The basis of their unhappiness.
(c) The basis of their nightmares.
(d) The basis of their desires.
9. How did Da Vinci perceive romantic love?
(a) With regret.
(b) With disgust.
(c) Too idealized.
(d) With hope.
10. What does the process of growth of children in the family involve, according to Freud?
(a) The desire for the child to supersede his or her parents.
(b) The desire for the child to learn.
(c) The desire for the child to give.
(d) The desire for the child to imitate his or her parents.
11. What does Freud focus on in the essay "Family Romances"?
(a) The development of family.
(b) The relationships of family.
(c) The love in family.
(d) The development of basic romantic attachments.
12. What is the word fly related to in many languages?
(b) The male sexual organ.
(c) The female sexual organ.
13. What body part appears repeatedly in Da Vinci's art?
14. How many parts is "Leonardo da Vinci and a Memory of his Childhood" divided into?
15. What does Freud reason is really Da Vinci's memory?
(a) A fantasy of being hurt.
(b) A fantasy of sucking on his mother's nippples.
(c) A fantasy of being loved.
(d) A fantasy of being fed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Da Vinci desire that was a common desire in many dreamers?
2. What does Freud suggest the psychoanalyst typically does to the person he or she is analyzing?
3. What does Freud argue happens to the child in the first stage of the developmental process?
4. What is Da Vinci's most unfinished painting titled?
5. What is a child's perception of his or her parent's sexual role?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)