|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freud focus on in the essay "Family Romances"?
(a) The relationships of family.
(b) The development of family.
(c) The love in family.
(d) The development of basic romantic attachments.
2. What does Freud argue the common man may be interested in in "Leonardo da Vinci and a Memory of his Childhood"?
(a) The desires of great persons.
(b) The psychology of great persons.
(c) That Da Vinci is the greatest.
(d) The motivation of great persons.
3. What does God mean to Freud?
(a) He does not believe in him.
(b) He gives him peace.
(c) He calms him.
(d) He is an idealized and exalted figure.
4. How was Da Vinci described?
(a) Imperfect and unhappy.
(b) Unstable and melancholy.
(c) Happy and imperfect.
(d) Stable and happy.
5. How does the child view his parents, according to Freud?
(a) As the worst people.
(c) Like God.
(d) As the greatest people.
6. What does Freud feel Da Vinci's bizarre childhood memory really is?
(a) A projection.
(b) A hidden desire.
(c) A screen memory.
(d) An uncanny.
7. What was Da Vinci cool to the differences between?
(a) Dark and light.
(b) Holy and cursed.
(c) Good and evil.
(d) Night and day.
8. Who did Da Vinci have a strong identification with, like most homosexuals according to Freud?
(a) His best girl friend.
(b) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
9. How do children tend to think of the father, according to Freud?
(a) That he is handsome.
(b) That he is a warrior.
(c) That he is a liar.
(d) That he is the strongest of men.
10. What is the word fly related to in many languages?
(a) The female sexual organ.
(d) The male sexual organ.
11. Who was exiled from his family as a child?
(a) Oedipus's mom.
12. What did Da Vinci desire that was a common desire in many dreamers?
(a) To die.
(b) To live forever.
(c) To fly.
(d) To swim.
13. What does Freud call the process of one generation superseding another?
(a) Desire to be better.
(b) Desire to overdo.
(d) The growth of civilization.
14. What image does a child try to retain?
(a) The happy memories of his or her parents.
(b) The happy childhood he or she had.
(c) The good image of his parents.
(d) The bad image of his parents.
15. What images result when a child's attempts to retain the image of his or her parents?
(a) A fantasy version of their parents takes place.
(b) A real version of their parents takes place.
(d) The image is distorted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stage takes on a sexual nature after the sexual differences of father and mother are recognized?
2. What does Freud discern is very unlikely Da Vinci ever did?
3. How does the son perceive his father after learning about his parent's sexual roles?
4. How do children tend to think of their mother, according to Freud?
5. What is Da Vinci's most unfinished painting titled?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)