|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must be disguised symbolically in the form of a dream?
(a) The ego's desires.
(b) The unconscious mind.
(c) The subconscious mind.
(d) The conscious mind.
2. What does the first essay of "The Uncanny" discuss?
(a) Childhood behaviors.
(b) Childhood illnesses.
(c) Childhood disorders.
(d) Childhood memories.
3. What does stealing the flowers represent in Henri's adolescent memory?
(a) His desire for freedom.
(b) His sexual excitement.
(c) That he is incestual.
(d) His desire to deflower or seduce his cousin.
4. What does the little girl represent in Henri's adolescent memory?
(a) His love.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His desire.
(d) His incest.
5. What does the ego have during day and night dreams?
(a) Free reign.
(b) Subconscious insight.
(c) Total control.
(d) Conscious insight.
6. What age does the creative process especially begin to unfold in a person, according to Freud?
(a) As a child.
(b) As a teenager.
(c) At birth.
(d) As an adult.
7. What does Freud find most heroes in fiction really are?
(b) Ego projections.
(d) Fantastical people.
8. What does Freud suggest memory like episodes should be called?
(a) Screen images.
(b) Movie memories.
(c) Movie images.
(d) Screen memories.
9. What does play turn into for a person?
(b) Unfulfilled desires.
10. How many forces does Freud argue are at play in the formation of early childhood memories?
11. According to Freud, what is the childhood psyche substantially different from?
(b) The adult psyche.
(c) The adolescent pysche.
(d) Real life.
12. When does conflict arise between the two forces in the case of childhood memories?
(a) After a death.
(b) After an emotionally happy situation.
(c) After an emotioanlly traumatic situation.
(d) After a birth.
13. How does Freud end "Creative Writing and Daydreaming"?
14. What can fantasies do to the unhealthy dreamer?
(a) It can prevent cognitive thought.
(b) Make them angry.
(c) Make them depressed.
(d) Make them obsessed or neurotic.
15. According to Freud, what do people often fantasize about before an event takes place?
(a) What they will look like.
(b) What they will do.
(c) Who they will be.
(d) Who they will be with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the subconscious desire allow to manifest in the conscious mind of a dreamer, according to Freud?
2. What do most adult memories have, according to Freud?
3. What is the first force Freud mentions is at play in childhood memories?
4. What happens as a result of the conflict between the two forces in the case of childhood memories?
5. At what age do dreams begin to take a narrative pattern?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)