|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Valdir Ruiz?
2. How many wives has Troy had?
3. On what river is Nate?
4. What is the problem about leaving the place of the plane crash by boat?
5. How much alcohol does Nate consume?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nate end up in a farm in Brazil?
2. Why would Josh consider sending Nate to Brazil to find the Phelan heir?
3. Why is Josh Stafford meeting with Troy?
4. What was the effect of Troy's death on the media?
5. How did Nate feel when he first came to Brazil and why?
6. What was Libbigail's relationship with her father like and what is she doing after his death?
7. How did Rachel come about and how did she end up adopted?
8. How did Troy divide his money with his last holographic will?
9. What happened to Rachel's biological mother?
10. What do Nate and Jevy discuss as they float on the river and how does Nate feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rachel's character is introduced in chapter twenty-six and further developed in chapter twenty-seven. She is not like any of the other characters in the book. She is entirely unmotivated by money and not interested in worldly possessions. Nate has never met anyone like her before.
1. Do you think it is realistic of the author to portray Rachel as so saintly? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe anyone would turn down billions of dollars? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that Nate will find what he is looking for by getting to know Rachel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In his delirium, Nate was convinced that Rachel had come to visit him. He heard her voice, saw her face, and was reassured that he would not succumb to this illness. Rachel seemed to know that God had planned a future for Nate. He returned to sleep and awoke after the fever broke.
1. Do you think Rachel actually visited Nate while he was delirious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is possible that Rachel knew Nate was ill and actually visited him in spirit to heal him? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Nate focused on a woman, Rachel, he barely knew while he was ill?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)