|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Judge Wycliff enjoying himself?
2. Who does Josh consider sending to Brazil?
3. Who is Welly?
4. How many wives has Troy had?
5. Who is Nate avoiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hark Getty see as a benefit to being Rex's lawyer? Why did he have a strong motivation to do his best?
2. What kind of shape was Troy Junior, Ramble, Geena and Rex in following his death?
3. What did Nate do on Christmas day in Brazil?
4. What did Nate and Jevy do to start the second half of their journey?
5. Who was the only person who knew where Rachel was living?
6. Basically, what did Troy's will say?
7. What do Nate and Jevy discuss as they float on the river and how does Nate feel about it?
8. Why was the reading of Troy Phelan's will considered to be of interest?
9. What are the thoughts of Troy Phelan when the novel opens?
10. What was the effect of Troy's death on the media?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Phelan heirs were a dysfunctional group. It becomes apparent that Troy's impression of his children may have been sadly accurate. Bestowing a fortune on each of them may do more harm than good.
1. Why do you think having a lot of money would be harmful to the Phelan heirs?
2. Do you think Troy should have tried more to help his children change?
3. What do you see as the main problems with the Phelan heirs? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Nate was running from his problems by going on the business trip. He realized very quickly that no matter how far he ran his past would always follow.
1. Running from problems by going somewhere else is called a "geographic cure." Discuss what do you think this means.
2. Do you believe taking the geographic cure is a good idea or a bad idea? Why or why not? Could it be different depending on the circumstance?
3. Discuss two situations that might respond well to a geographic cure and two that wouldn't be helped with on.
Essay Topic 3
Nate deemed the hospital in Corumba to be insufficient and was mortified by the care he received there. The hospital in Corumba was a local one utilized only by people who had no other choice.
1. Do you think Nate was being ungrateful to the hospital? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think the people in Corumba tolerated a hospital like Nate was in?
3. Explain what you see is the connection between money and good health care.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)