|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are they having trouble navigating the river?
2. What are Phelan's assets approximately worth?
3. What is an ever-present danger?
4. Why is Nate pleased with Josh's offer?
5. Why would the family's lawyers want the family to contest the will when it says anyone who contests it gets nothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Libbigail's relationship with her father like and what is she doing after his death?
2. What did Hark Getty see as a benefit to being Rex's lawyer? Why did he have a strong motivation to do his best?
3. How did Nate feel when he first came to Brazil and why?
4. What did Nate do on Christmas day in Brazil?
5. How did Troy's first wife and her family celebrate Christmas?
6. What is Nate's life in rehab and how does he feel about it?
7. What did Troy do after being certified sane and able and his family left?
8. What did Jevy do when Nate didn't show up at the boat?
9. How did the Phelan heirs feel about Troy's will?
10. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Troy kept Rachel's whereabouts to himself, refused to answer Evelyn's letters, and her desperation culminated in her suicide five years after Rachel's birth.
1. Explain, in detail, what kind of man Troy appears to be that he would keep Evelyn from seeing her daughter.
2. Do you think Evelyn's suicide could have been prevented? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Troy would not answer Evelyn's letters? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In his delirium, Nate was convinced that Rachel had come to visit him. He heard her voice, saw her face, and was reassured that he would not succumb to this illness. Rachel seemed to know that God had planned a future for Nate. He returned to sleep and awoke after the fever broke.
1. Do you think Rachel actually visited Nate while he was delirious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is possible that Rachel knew Nate was ill and actually visited him in spirit to heal him? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Nate focused on a woman, Rachel, he barely knew while he was ill?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)