|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is present in the opening of this story?
2. Why does Jevy go searching for Nate?
3. What does Jevy fear?
4. What do Snead and Josh, as well as Tip Durban, Josh's colleague do?
5. Who is Hark Gettys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
2. How did Josh try to assure that Nate would do as he was told?
3. What was the effect of Troy's death on the media?
4. Why is Josh Stafford meeting with Troy?
5. What kind of shape was Troy Junior, Ramble, Geena and Rex in following his death?
6. How did Nate feel when he first came to Brazil and why?
7. What did Hark Getty see as a benefit to being Rex's lawyer? Why did he have a strong motivation to do his best?
8. What did Nate and Jevy do to start the second half of their journey?
9. What happened to Rachel's biological mother?
10. With whom did Nate talk on his way to Brazil and why only them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Nate is thankful for Rachel's friendship. He relies on her for the strength that he lacks. Nate must learn to be at peace with himself. It is only through inner peace that he will be strong enough to resist temptation and happy enough to move forward down a healthier path.
1. Do you think Rachel and Nate could have become friends in a few short days? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Nate being at peace with himself will help with his addictions?
3. Do you think Nate has ever experienced true friendship before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Realizing that Father Phil had also made large changes late in life helped Nate to feel even more comfortable with Phil. Additionally, the physical labor was a good distraction and gave Nate a healthy way to spend his days. Without the work at the church, his ample spare time could have been detrimental to his rehabilitation.
1. Why do you think Father Phil's making changes in his life at an older age made it more comfortable for Nate to talk with him?
2. Explain why physical labor could be good for a recovering alcoholic.
3. Why do you think too much spare time would have been detrimental to Nate's rehabilitation?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)