|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do Troy's family members anxiously await?
2. What does the autopsy on Troy reveal?
3. What does Fernando tell Jevy?
4. What happens to an heir that contests the will?
5. When do they take off on their flight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nate feel about going to Brazil?
2. What is Nate's life in rehab and how does he feel about it?
3. What did Hark Getty see as a benefit to being Rex's lawyer? Why did he have a strong motivation to do his best?
4. Why was the reading of Troy Phelan's will considered to be of interest?
5. How did Josh try to assure that Nate would do as he was told?
6. What happened to Nate and his guides on the river while exploring Pantanal?
7. How did Rachel come about and how did she end up adopted?
8. What happened to Rachel's biological mother?
9. What kind of shape was Troy Junior, Ramble, Geena and Rex in following his death?
10. What did Nate and Jevy do to start the second half of their journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate's addictions are long-standing and Josh has had to cover for Nate on multiple occasions.
1. Covering for an addict or alcoholic is called enabling. With research, explain, using examples from the book how Josh was an enabler.
2. Do you think Nate should have been fired from his job? Why or why not?
3. How do you think a person can break an addictive habit? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Realizing that Father Phil had also made large changes late in life helped Nate to feel even more comfortable with Phil. Additionally, the physical labor was a good distraction and gave Nate a healthy way to spend his days. Without the work at the church, his ample spare time could have been detrimental to his rehabilitation.
1. Why do you think Father Phil's making changes in his life at an older age made it more comfortable for Nate to talk with him?
2. Explain why physical labor could be good for a recovering alcoholic.
3. Why do you think too much spare time would have been detrimental to Nate's rehabilitation?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)