|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conclusion about sending someone to Brazil?
2. Where do Nate and Jevy stop?
3. Who helps Jevy with directions?
4. Who does Nate hire?
5. Who are Libbigail Phelan Jeter and Mary Ross Phelan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Phelan heirs feel about Troy's will?
2. What did Nate do on Christmas day in Brazil?
3. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
4. Basically, what did Troy's will say?
5. What happened to Rachel's biological mother?
6. How did Josh try to assure that Nate would do as he was told?
7. Why was the reading of Troy Phelan's will considered to be of interest?
8. How did Troy divide his money with his last holographic will?
9. What did Troy do after being certified sane and able and his family left?
10. What do Nate and Jevy discuss as they float on the river and how does Nate feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate returned from South America with intentions to leave the world of law behind him and live simply. Hark Gettys, on the other hand, was doing just the opposite. He was behaving in unethical ways and trying to maximize his fees in any way possible.
1. Do you think all lawyers are like Hark? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail why you might prefer Nate for a lawyer over Hark or the other way around.
3. To you think in the real world lawyers will actually help people lie to a court? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Troy kept Rachel's whereabouts to himself, refused to answer Evelyn's letters, and her desperation culminated in her suicide five years after Rachel's birth.
1. Explain, in detail, what kind of man Troy appears to be that he would keep Evelyn from seeing her daughter.
2. Do you think Evelyn's suicide could have been prevented? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Troy would not answer Evelyn's letters? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Once in South America Nate continued to feel lonely. The feeling of loneliness wasn't about his job or his family. It was a feeling deep inside because he does not like himself and can therefore not find peace.
1. Do you believe people can be happy if they don't like themselves? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Nate disliked himself? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Explain in detail how you would feel if you were in Nate's situation in Brazil.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)