|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wives has Troy had?
2. Who is Welly?
3. Who is Valdir Ruiz?
4. What is his state after drinking?
5. Where does Nate go from Walnut Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the effect of Troy's death on the media?
2. Explain what happened when Nate found out the trading post where they stopped sold beer.
3. Why is Josh Stafford meeting with Troy?
4. How did Nate end up in a farm in Brazil?
5. What is Nate's life in rehab and how does he feel about it?
6. With whom did Nate talk on his way to Brazil and why only them?
7. How did Rachel come about and how did she end up adopted?
8. What are the thoughts of Troy Phelan when the novel opens?
9. What did Jevy do when Nate didn't show up at the boat?
10. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During his time in St. Michael's, Nate did a lot of thinking. He realized that he was the reason why his marriages had failed. He also acknowledged that he couldn't blame his children for keeping their distance from him.
1. Using examples from the book explain why you think Nate's marriages failed.
2. Using examples from the book explain why you think Nate's children keep their distance from him.
3. Do you think Nate's failures with his marriages and children were one hundred percent his fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Nate is thankful for Rachel's friendship. He relies on her for the strength that he lacks. Nate must learn to be at peace with himself. It is only through inner peace that he will be strong enough to resist temptation and happy enough to move forward down a healthier path.
1. Do you think Rachel and Nate could have become friends in a few short days? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Nate being at peace with himself will help with his addictions?
3. Do you think Nate has ever experienced true friendship before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Realizing that Father Phil had also made large changes late in life helped Nate to feel even more comfortable with Phil. Additionally, the physical labor was a good distraction and gave Nate a healthy way to spend his days. Without the work at the church, his ample spare time could have been detrimental to his rehabilitation.
1. Why do you think Father Phil's making changes in his life at an older age made it more comfortable for Nate to talk with him?
2. Explain why physical labor could be good for a recovering alcoholic.
3. Why do you think too much spare time would have been detrimental to Nate's rehabilitation?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)