|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nate do while Jevy goes to the trading post?
2. What is the problem about leaving the place of the plane crash by boat?
3. What is requested in the will?
4. Why has Nate lost his other friends?
5. To whom is the bulk of the estate left?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Troy do after being certified sane and able and his family left?
2. What did Jevy do when Nate didn't show up at the boat?
3. What was the effect of Troy's death on the media?
4. What did Nate do on Christmas day in Brazil?
5. Why would Josh consider sending Nate to Brazil to find the Phelan heir?
6. What happened to Nate and his guides on the river while exploring Pantanal?
7. How did all the family lawyers feel about the will?
8. What happened regarding the cow the plane crash killed in Brazil?
9. Why was the reading of Troy Phelan's will considered to be of interest?
10. How did Nate feel when he first came to Brazil and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Troy kept Rachel's whereabouts to himself, refused to answer Evelyn's letters, and her desperation culminated in her suicide five years after Rachel's birth.
1. Explain, in detail, what kind of man Troy appears to be that he would keep Evelyn from seeing her daughter.
2. Do you think Evelyn's suicide could have been prevented? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Troy would not answer Evelyn's letters? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In his delirium, Nate was convinced that Rachel had come to visit him. He heard her voice, saw her face, and was reassured that he would not succumb to this illness. Rachel seemed to know that God had planned a future for Nate. He returned to sleep and awoke after the fever broke.
1. Do you think Rachel actually visited Nate while he was delirious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is possible that Rachel knew Nate was ill and actually visited him in spirit to heal him? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Nate focused on a woman, Rachel, he barely knew while he was ill?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)