|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nate begin his day at Walnut Hill?
2. What does Marco demand?
3. What does Josh provide Nate?
4. Who does Josh consider sending to Brazil?
5. What is requested in the will?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Josh Stafford meeting with Troy?
2. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
3. What was the effect of Troy's death on the media?
4. Why would Josh consider sending Nate to Brazil to find the Phelan heir?
5. What did Hark Getty see as a benefit to being Rex's lawyer? Why did he have a strong motivation to do his best?
6. Why was the reading of Troy Phelan's will considered to be of interest?
7. How did Josh try to assure that Nate would do as he was told?
8. What is Nate's life in rehab and how does he feel about it?
9. How did Troy's first wife and her family celebrate Christmas?
10. What happened to Nate and his guides on the river while exploring Pantanal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Phelan heirs were a dysfunctional group. It becomes apparent that Troy's impression of his children may have been sadly accurate. Bestowing a fortune on each of them may do more harm than good.
1. Why do you think having a lot of money would be harmful to the Phelan heirs?
2. Do you think Troy should have tried more to help his children change?
3. What do you see as the main problems with the Phelan heirs? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In his delirium, Nate was convinced that Rachel had come to visit him. He heard her voice, saw her face, and was reassured that he would not succumb to this illness. Rachel seemed to know that God had planned a future for Nate. He returned to sleep and awoke after the fever broke.
1. Do you think Rachel actually visited Nate while he was delirious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is possible that Rachel knew Nate was ill and actually visited him in spirit to heal him? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Nate focused on a woman, Rachel, he barely knew while he was ill?
Essay Topic 3
Nate's addictions are long-standing and Josh has had to cover for Nate on multiple occasions.
1. Covering for an addict or alcoholic is called enabling. With research, explain, using examples from the book how Josh was an enabler.
2. Do you think Nate should have been fired from his job? Why or why not?
3. How do you think a person can break an addictive habit? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)