Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many legitimate children does Troy have?
2. Who does Nate hire?
3. What is an ever-present danger?
4. To whom does Marco introduce the three men?
5. Who are Libbigail Phelan Jeter and Mary Ross Phelan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Libbigail's relationship with her father like and what is she doing after his death?
2. What happened to Rachel's biological mother?
3. What did working five days on the Phelan will in the city prove to Nate's satisfaction?
4. What did Troy do after being certified sane and able and his family left?
5. What does Rachel see about Nate and what does she offer?
6. Why was Josh having trouble settling the estate and how was it finally settled?
7. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
8. What happened to Nate and his guides on the river while exploring Pantanal?
9. Why is Josh Stafford meeting with Troy?
10. What does Nate notice about the Indian village and how does he respond to it?
Essay Topic 1
Ultimately the Phelan heirs each received fifty million dollars of their father's money. Rachel established a trust with her money.
1. Do you think this was a fair settlement? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail what you think about Rachel's settlement of her inheritance.
3. Do you Josh betrayed Troy's trust in him or do you think Troy knew the settlement would probably end up something along those lines?
Essay Topic 2
Rachel's character is introduced in chapter twenty-six and further developed in chapter twenty-seven. She is not like any of the other characters in the book. She is entirely unmotivated by money and not interested in worldly possessions. Nate has never met anyone like her before.
1. Do you think it is realistic of the author to portray Rachel as so saintly? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe anyone would turn down billions of dollars? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that Nate will find what he is looking for by getting to know Rachel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Troy kept Rachel's whereabouts to himself, refused to answer Evelyn's letters, and her desperation culminated in her suicide five years after Rachel's birth.
1. Explain, in detail, what kind of man Troy appears to be that he would keep Evelyn from seeing her daughter.
2. Do you think Evelyn's suicide could have been prevented? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Troy would not answer Evelyn's letters? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)