|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are they having trouble navigating the river?
2. What are Phelan's assets approximately worth?
3. What is an ever-present danger?
4. Why is Nate pleased with Josh's offer?
5. Why would the family's lawyers want the family to contest the will when it says anyone who contests it gets nothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Libbigail's relationship with her father like and what is she doing after his death?
2. What did Hark Getty see as a benefit to being Rex's lawyer? Why did he have a strong motivation to do his best?
3. How did Nate feel when he first came to Brazil and why?
4. What did Nate do on Christmas day in Brazil?
5. How did Troy's first wife and her family celebrate Christmas?
6. What is Nate's life in rehab and how does he feel about it?
7. What did Troy do after being certified sane and able and his family left?
8. What did Jevy do when Nate didn't show up at the boat?
9. How did the Phelan heirs feel about Troy's will?
10. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate is thankful for Rachel's friendship. He relies on her for the strength that he lacks. Nate must learn to be at peace with himself. It is only through inner peace that he will be strong enough to resist temptation and happy enough to move forward down a healthier path.
1. Do you think Rachel and Nate could have become friends in a few short days? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Nate being at peace with himself will help with his addictions?
3. Do you think Nate has ever experienced true friendship before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Nate returned from South America with intentions to leave the world of law behind him and live simply. Hark Gettys, on the other hand, was doing just the opposite. He was behaving in unethical ways and trying to maximize his fees in any way possible.
1. Do you think all lawyers are like Hark? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail why you might prefer Nate for a lawyer over Hark or the other way around.
3. To you think in the real world lawyers will actually help people lie to a court? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In his delirium, Nate was convinced that Rachel had come to visit him. He heard her voice, saw her face, and was reassured that he would not succumb to this illness. Rachel seemed to know that God had planned a future for Nate. He returned to sleep and awoke after the fever broke.
1. Do you think Rachel actually visited Nate while he was delirious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is possible that Rachel knew Nate was ill and actually visited him in spirit to heal him? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Nate focused on a woman, Rachel, he barely knew while he was ill?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)