|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose in-laws suddenly become warmer to her when they realize she has a large amount of money coming in?
2. Who is Libbigail's father?
3. To whom does Marco introduce the three men?
4. What is Phelan rumored to have?
5. Why is Nate pleased with Josh's offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Troy's first wife and her family celebrate Christmas?
2. With whom did Nate talk on his way to Brazil and why only them?
3. What did Jevy do when Nate didn't show up at the boat?
4. What happened to Nate and his guides on the river while exploring Pantanal?
5. What is Nate's life in rehab and how does he feel about it?
6. What was the effect of Troy's death on the media?
7. How did the Phelan heirs feel about Troy's will?
8. What did Hark Getty see as a benefit to being Rex's lawyer? Why did he have a strong motivation to do his best?
9. Basically, what did Troy's will say?
10. Why would Josh consider sending Nate to Brazil to find the Phelan heir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once in South America Nate continued to feel lonely. The feeling of loneliness wasn't about his job or his family. It was a feeling deep inside because he does not like himself and can therefore not find peace.
1. Do you believe people can be happy if they don't like themselves? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Nate disliked himself? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Explain in detail how you would feel if you were in Nate's situation in Brazil.
Essay Topic 2
Nate returned from South America with intentions to leave the world of law behind him and live simply. Hark Gettys, on the other hand, was doing just the opposite. He was behaving in unethical ways and trying to maximize his fees in any way possible.
1. Do you think all lawyers are like Hark? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail why you might prefer Nate for a lawyer over Hark or the other way around.
3. To you think in the real world lawyers will actually help people lie to a court? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 13 marked the end of Nate's sobriety. He appears to be in a state of self-denial. He is thankful to be alive yet celebrates by drowning himself in alcohol.
1. Why do you think Nate started drinking again after surviving the plane crash?
2. Discuss what is meant by self-denial.
3. Do you think Nate would have started drinking again if the plane crash had not occurred? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)