|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is present in the opening of this story?
2. Who is Neva Collier?
3. Why do they shed tears?
4. How many wives has Troy had?
5. What does Jevy say that he regrets saying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened right after Nate woke the day after the storm?
2. Rex was the smartest of the Phelan heirs. What was he good at and what did he realize?
3. What was Nate doing at the cottage?
4. What did working five days on the Phelan will in the city prove to Nate's satisfaction?
5. How did Nate score the first point in the dispositions?
6. What did Rachel's will say about her inheritance?
7. Why did Hark meet with the other Phelan heir lawyers and what happened at the meeting?
8. Who did Nate think he saw when he was sick and what did he feel about it?
9. Why was Josh worried about the settlement of the will?
10. What are the thoughts of Troy Phelan when the novel opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate is thankful for Rachel's friendship. He relies on her for the strength that he lacks. Nate must learn to be at peace with himself. It is only through inner peace that he will be strong enough to resist temptation and happy enough to move forward down a healthier path.
1. Do you think Rachel and Nate could have become friends in a few short days? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Nate being at peace with himself will help with his addictions?
3. Do you think Nate has ever experienced true friendship before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Realizing that Father Phil had also made large changes late in life helped Nate to feel even more comfortable with Phil. Additionally, the physical labor was a good distraction and gave Nate a healthy way to spend his days. Without the work at the church, his ample spare time could have been detrimental to his rehabilitation.
1. Why do you think Father Phil's making changes in his life at an older age made it more comfortable for Nate to talk with him?
2. Explain why physical labor could be good for a recovering alcoholic.
3. Why do you think too much spare time would have been detrimental to Nate's rehabilitation?
Essay Topic 3
In the opening of THE TESTAMENT, a multi-billionaire carries out a plan to do what he wants with his money rather than what his family wants.
1. Do you think Troy Phelan should have to go through so much trouble just to make sure his will was legally incontestability? Why or why not?
2. What do you think of a man who would leave all his money to a daughter he has never seen and give the rest of his family very little of a huge estate? Use examples from your own experience and beliefs to support your answer.
3. Do you think Troy's relatives are wrong for trying to get his money? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,871 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)