Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many legitimate children does Troy have?
2. Who does Nate hire?
3. What is an ever-present danger?
4. To whom does Marco introduce the three men?
5. Who are Libbigail Phelan Jeter and Mary Ross Phelan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Libbigail's relationship with her father like and what is she doing after his death?
2. What happened to Rachel's biological mother?
3. What did working five days on the Phelan will in the city prove to Nate's satisfaction?
4. What did Troy do after being certified sane and able and his family left?
5. What does Rachel see about Nate and what does she offer?
6. Why was Josh having trouble settling the estate and how was it finally settled?
7. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
8. What happened to Nate and his guides on the river while exploring Pantanal?
9. Why is Josh Stafford meeting with Troy?
10. What does Nate notice about the Indian village and how does he respond to it?
Essay Topic 1
Nate deemed the hospital in Corumba to be insufficient and was mortified by the care he received there. The hospital in Corumba was a local one utilized only by people who had no other choice.
1. Do you think Nate was being ungrateful to the hospital? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think the people in Corumba tolerated a hospital like Nate was in?
3. Explain what you see is the connection between money and good health care.
Essay Topic 2
Nate is forty-eight-years-old and does not have much to show for it. He has created and then sabotaged relationships and is an addict. He is struck by the stark differences between how he and Rachel live.
1. Why do you think Nate might be intrigued by the way Rachel lives? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
2. How do you think Nate feels about himself and his life after meeting Rachel? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
3. If Nate were 23-years-old, do you think Rachel would affect him as deeply? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Troy kept Rachel's whereabouts to himself, refused to answer Evelyn's letters, and her desperation culminated in her suicide five years after Rachel's birth.
1. Explain, in detail, what kind of man Troy appears to be that he would keep Evelyn from seeing her daughter.
2. Do you think Evelyn's suicide could have been prevented? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Troy would not answer Evelyn's letters? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)