|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the surprising clause in Troy's final will?
2. What tributary do they men have to go up?
3. What does Jevy fear?
4. Why does Josh only give information that was required by law to the probate judge?
5. Why does Jevy have to rock the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Josh Stafford meeting with Troy?
2. Why was Nate unable to speak with Rachel the day after he arrived in the village?
3. Explain what happened when Nate found out the trading post where they stopped sold beer.
4. What did Jevy do when Nate didn't show up at the boat?
5. How did all the family lawyers feel about the will?
6. What do Nate and Jevy discuss as they float on the river and how does Nate feel about it?
7. What did the lawyers fighting the will do about the sanity examination?
8. What are the thoughts of Troy Phelan when the novel opens?
9. What was Libbigail's relationship with her father like and what is she doing after his death?
10. What happened that caused Nate and Jevy to get lost within the Pantanal?
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 13 marked the end of Nate's sobriety. He appears to be in a state of self-denial. He is thankful to be alive yet celebrates by drowning himself in alcohol.
1. Why do you think Nate started drinking again after surviving the plane crash?
2. Discuss what is meant by self-denial.
3. Do you think Nate would have started drinking again if the plane crash had not occurred? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Phelan heirs were a dysfunctional group. It becomes apparent that Troy's impression of his children may have been sadly accurate. Bestowing a fortune on each of them may do more harm than good.
1. Why do you think having a lot of money would be harmful to the Phelan heirs?
2. Do you think Troy should have tried more to help his children change?
3. What do you see as the main problems with the Phelan heirs? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In his delirium, Nate was convinced that Rachel had come to visit him. He heard her voice, saw her face, and was reassured that he would not succumb to this illness. Rachel seemed to know that God had planned a future for Nate. He returned to sleep and awoke after the fever broke.
1. Do you think Rachel actually visited Nate while he was delirious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is possible that Rachel knew Nate was ill and actually visited him in spirit to heal him? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Nate focused on a woman, Rachel, he barely knew while he was ill?
This section contains 2,961 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)