|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symptoms develop in Nate?
(a) Aching bones.
(b) A high fever, chills, and delirium.
(c) Irrational anger.
(d) Foaming at the mouth.
2. What does Neva find on her desk?
(a) A large envelope addressed to Nate.
(b) A large envelope addressed to Rachel.
(d) Two envelopes; one addressed to her and one to Nate.
3. Who helps Jevy find an Indian village?
(a) A young boy.
(c) An old Indian chief.
(d) A tribal elder.
4. What does a second letter say?
(a) It tells Neva of Nate and his interaction with Rachel about the will.
(b) It is a disposition of the will from the judge.
(c) It is from Nate saying he really needs to see Rachel because he wants to marry her.
(d) It is from Max pleading with Rachel to give up her rights to Troy's money.
5. What does Rachel seem to know about Nate?
(a) That he will die peacefully.
(b) That he will never be a lawyer again.
(c) That God has plans for Nate's future.
(d) That he and Rachel will marry.
6. What does Nate tell Josh?
(a) He is ready to re-join the firm.
(b) He is moving to South America.
(c) He is becoming a Christian missionary.
(d) He is retiring from law.
7. Why does Nate bribe Jevy to help him leave the hospital?
(a) Nate is depressed by his poor state of health and the deplorable care he was receiving.
(b) He is afraid they are trying to kill him.
(c) He thinks Rachel will take better care of him.
(d) He is delusional.
8. What happens after Nate's fever breaks?
(a) He dies.
(b) He stays for several more weeks.
(c) He is flown by air ambulance to Houston.
(d) He is discharged.
9. What does Nate tell Rachel?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That if she doesn't claim her inheritance some very bad people will benefit.
(c) About his past.
(d) That he will forcibly take her back.
10. After a week of searching for Rachel, what does Nate realize?
(a) She may be avoiding him.
(b) She may no longer be in the city.
(c) She may have died as he almost did with the fever.
(d) She may have gone on ahead of him to the States.
11. How long has it been since Rachel has entered the Pantanal?
(a) 5 years.
(b) She never has.
(c) 11 years.
(d) 1 year.
12. To where does Nate retreat for time to think?
(a) The Adirondacks.
(b) To a mountain retreat in Montana.
(c) The Stafford family cottage on Chesapeake Bay.
(d) A house in Nassau.
13. What does Hark tell the other lawyers of Troy's family?
(a) That he thinks they should "throw in the towel."
(b) That Snead is willing to testify on their behalf.
(c) That there are two other illegitimate children wanting money.
(d) That Snead is unwilling to testify.
14. How is Nate's condition in this chapter?
(a) Improving daily.
(c) He dies.
(d) About the same as when he arrived at the hospital.
15. What do the lawyers do in the mock testimony with Sneads?
(a) Tell him to tell the absolute truth.
(c) Feed him lies.
(d) Realize he will do them no good.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a little girl in the neighboring village die?
2. What is Josh doing for Nate?
3. What do all the lawyers sign?
4. After shooting a few holes in Snead's testimony, who does Nate go after next?
5. What is the problem when Nate is admitted to the hospital for the second time?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)