|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a term used for both dialects of English and English-based pidgins and creoles, and whose meaning depends considerably upon the context, and particularly the part of the world?
2. Ulster is composed of how many counties?
3. Thomas Macaulay was born in what year?
4. How many Germans have emigrated to the United States since 1776?
5. What is an English-based creole of Sierra Leone, a first language of the residents of Freetown and its environs, and a lingua franca elsewhere in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What international influences came to the English language from New York?
2. How was Cockney stereotypically viewed in London? What governmental changes standardized it?
3. When was Webster's Dictionary first published? How many copies were sold in his lifetime?
4. What effect did World War II have on the Cockney language? What other world events affected it?
5. What effect did Webster have on differentiating British and American English standardization?
6. What do the authors write of the Canadian accent in Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!?
7. How did appreciation for the Australian dialect change in the 20th century? Why?
8. What do the authors write of the Jamaican dialect in Chapter 9, The New Englishes?
9. How have British and American accents diverged over time, according to the authors in Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!?
10. What has led to the further development of English in the Far East?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can we know how the English language sounded hundreds of years ago? What resources do we have today to examine and analyze dialects? What changes have made this possible?
Essay Topic 2
When did St. Augustine arrive in Britain? What impact did he have there on the English language? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the influences of Germanic, French, and Romance languages on the development of English. What words today are rooted in these cultures and their interactions with the English?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)