|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the current population of Jamaica?
2. What word refers to a sudden, frenzied rush or headlong flight of a herd of frightened animals, especially cattle or horses?
3. When did James Cook sail to Queensland?
4. How many blacks were in the United States when the Civil War began?
5. Ulster is composed of how many counties?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the domination of the Irish by England, what splits arose over religion?
2. What effect did Webster have on differentiating British and American English standardization?
3. What impact did Black English have on whites in the American South?
4. Where was the slave trade centered in England? How did blacks and whites communicate?
5. When did the Act of Union take place in Irish/English history? What effect did it have on English?
6. Where is the Irish language preserved in the New World? Where did the Irish immigrate to in America?
7. What do the authors assert has changed in the way Black English is viewed in recent times?
8. What do the authors write of the Canadian accent in Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!?
9. How did appreciation for the Australian dialect change in the 20th century? Why?
10. How did Black English develop in the American South? When did Black English begin to appear in literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the differences between Jamaica and other islands and lands which were conquered or colonized by Great Britain. What were the effects of colonization in the different regions? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the influences of Germanic, French, and Romance languages on the development of English. What words today are rooted in these cultures and their interactions with the English?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the undertaking of the first English dictionary. How many definitions were in the original Johnson's dictionary? What was it drawn from? How many years did it take to accumulate?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)