|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. assassinated?
2. Thomas Macaulay was born in what year?
3. How many people in America claim to be of Irish descent today?
4. How many copies of Webster's Dictionary sold during the author's lifetime?
5. What American-originated word means to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact did Black English have on whites in the American South?
2. How has English developed among African nations?
3. How did appreciation for the Australian dialect change in the 20th century? Why?
4. What is the source of inspiration for Irish literature? When did Irish culture rise to its high point?
5. What effect did World War II have on the Cockney language? What other world events affected it?
6. How many Americans are of Irish descent? What association do Westerners have with Ireland's history?
7. What do the authors attribute to Ireland's unique inflections and word stresses in dialect?
8. How have British and American accents diverged over time, according to the authors in Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!?
9. When did the Act of Union take place in Irish/English history? What effect did it have on English?
10. What effect did Webster have on differentiating British and American English standardization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the influence of the King James Bible on the English language. What words are examples which arose to common use following the release of the English Bible?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how dialects reflect human culture and class station, specifically in Great Britain. What do the authors write regarding the fluidity of accents and culture in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the undertaking of the first English dictionary. How many definitions were in the original Johnson's dictionary? What was it drawn from? How many years did it take to accumulate?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)