|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin?
2. How many people in America claim to be of Irish descent today?
3. Thomas Macaulay was born in what year?
4. When did the British and East India Company establish outposts in India?
5. What British author of Gulliver's Travels is known for being a master of two styles of satire: the Horatian and Juvenalian styles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did appreciation for the Australian dialect change in the 20th century? Why?
2. When did black pidgin languages first originate and why?
3. Following the domination of the Irish by England, what splits arose over religion?
4. What do the authors assert has changed in the way Black English is viewed in recent times?
5. What impact did Black English have on whites in the American South?
6. What impact did the slave ships in the Caribbean have on the spread of the English language?
7. How have British and American accents diverged over time, according to the authors in Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!?
8. How many Americans are of Irish descent? What association do Westerners have with Ireland's history?
9. When was English first introduced to India? What led to its development there?
10. What has led to the further development of English in the Far East?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of the Scottish people throughout the Dark Ages. What were the effects of the invasions upon Scotland's people, culture, and language?
Essay Topic 2
When did St. Augustine arrive in Britain? What impact did he have there on the English language? How?
Essay Topic 3
How can we know how the English language sounded hundreds of years ago? What resources do we have today to examine and analyze dialects? What changes have made this possible?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)