|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The establishment of what was an important moment for English as word choices had to be made for standard broadcasting?
2. When did James I die?
3. Johnson took on the established dictionaries of European language and decisively exceeded them through how many years of work?
4. Who welcomed St. Augustine in England?
5. What is the name of the dialect generally associated with the British working class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of the Germanic tribes described in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue? Where did they spread?
2. What do the authors of The Story of English rely upon to relate the history of the English language?
3. What do the authors preface regarding the style of the text in their Introduction?
4. What cultural wars and battles helped to create the English language, according to the authors in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue?
5. What is the difficulty of explaining sounds of language, according to the authors? What resources can help the reader in grasping dialect?
6. What do the authors assert is the common ancestry of all languages? What happened to most of them?
7. What is notable about the standardization of English throughout history? What examples do the authors give in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
8. What do the authors write of the New World and its influence on English in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue?
9. When did the Scottish dialect fall into decline? What led to its standardization?
10. What do the authors write of the Puritans in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue? Where were they located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the differences between Jamaica and other islands and lands which were conquered or colonized by Great Britain. What were the effects of colonization in the different regions? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Black English affects language today in popular culture, including television, film, music, and other influences. What contributions can they name which originated in African culture?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plight of the Scottish people throughout the Dark Ages. What were the effects of the invasions upon Scotland's people, culture, and language?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)