|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert McCrum describes the modulation of British RP to what in the Introduction?
2. Old English has barely how many Celtic words?
3. Who is quoted from his Preface to A Dictionary of the English Language in the Introduction?
4. Johnson traveled through where at the dawn of the Enlightenment of Hume, Smith, Burns, and Telford?
5. Which of the early Germanic tribes had speech that was Germanic and they lived Denmark?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many definitions were in the original Johnson's dictionary? What was it drawn from?
2. When did James I come to the British throne? What major impact did he have on the English language?
3. What impact did the invasion of the Anglo-Saxons have on the Celtic language? Why?
4. What myths do the authors dispel about the English language in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
5. What did James I do to reduce the rule of Celtic chiefs in Ulster?
6. Samuel Johnson's dictionary had what impact on the Scottish dialect? What were Johnson's experiences in Scotland?
7. How do we know how the English language sounded hundreds of years ago? What do the authors relate about grammatical shifts in the Introduction?
8. What is the difficulty of explaining sounds of language, according to the authors? What resources can help the reader in grasping dialect?
9. What do the authors assert is the common ancestry of all languages? What happened to most of them?
10. What do the authors write of the Puritans in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue? Where were they located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Act of Union of 1803 in Great Britain and its effects on the Irish language and culture. What remains of the Irish language today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the history of Ireland's struggles with England. When did the domination of Ireland begin? What were the consequences? How was language affected?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Black English affects language today in popular culture, including television, film, music, and other influences. What contributions can they name which originated in African culture?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)