|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bilingualism began in earnest in India in what year?
2. What author noted that Southern women often sounded like their black slaves?
(a) Samuel Clemens.
(b) Andrew Johnson.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Charles Dickens.
3. Who was a central figure in the Uncle Remus stories of the Southern United States?
(a) Brer Rabbit.
(b) Johnny Appleseed.
(c) Pecan Pete.
(d) Butler Johnson.
4. Which variant was most likely the first pidgin English?
(c) West African.
5. Irish culture is a mixture of Celtic and what?
(a) New World.
(b) East Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Jamaica become an English, and later a British, colony, known as "Jamaica"?
2. What term refers to a variety of English spoken in Singapore, incorporating elements of Chinese and Malay?
3. What word refers to a sudden, frenzied rush or headlong flight of a herd of frightened animals, especially cattle or horses?
4. What was a common form of passing language down from one generation to the next in Irish culture?
5. What American-originated word means an extraordinary or unusual thing, person, or event; an exceptional example or instance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was English first introduced to India? What led to its development there?
2. When and how did Australian English develop?
3. When was Webster's Dictionary first published? How many copies were sold in his lifetime?
4. How did appreciation for the Australian dialect change in the 20th century? Why?
5. When did black pidgin languages first originate and why?
6. How have British and American accents diverged over time, according to the authors in Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!?
7. What is the source of inspiration for Irish literature? When did Irish culture rise to its high point?
8. What international influences came to the English language from New York?
9. What effect did World War II have on the Cockney language? What other world events affected it?
10. What effect did Webster have on differentiating British and American English standardization?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)