|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term means a people or person who use many languages?
2. Many Canadians use what instead of the American "zee"?
3. What area of London was largely flattened in World War II?
(a) West End.
(b) North End.
(c) East End.
(d) South End.
4. The English conquered and warred with the Irish for over how many years?
5. Which variant was most likely the first pidgin English?
(a) West African.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author noted that Southern women often sounded like their black slaves?
2. What was the first English-speaking official colony in North America?
3. What word that originated in the American West means a source of great and sudden wealth or luck; a spectacular windfall?
4. Ulster is composed of how many counties?
5. By the turn of which century had English all but died out in Ireland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Cockney stereotypically viewed in London? What governmental changes standardized it?
2. What do the authors attribute to Ireland's unique inflections and word stresses in dialect?
3. When and how did Australian English develop?
4. What impact did Black English have on whites in the American South?
5. What effect did World War II have on the Cockney language? What other world events affected it?
6. How did appreciation for the Australian dialect change in the 20th century? Why?
7. What words developed from the spread of Americans to the West?
8. How did Black English develop in the American South? When did Black English begin to appear in literature?
9. How many Americans are of Irish descent? What association do Westerners have with Ireland's history?
10. What is the source of inspiration for Irish literature? When did Irish culture rise to its high point?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)