|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what century onwards did England begin domination of Ireland?
2. What dialect is associated with the lower classes in England?
(d) Queen's English.
3. When did the American Revolutionary War begin?
4. The culture of Ireland rose to a high point in what century?
5. Ulster is composed of how many counties?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Irish emigrated to the United States in the nineteenth century?
2. The English conquered and warred with the Irish for over how many years?
3. What is the British spelling of the word "color"?
4. The authors assert in Chapter 6, Black on White, that the black pidgins clearly date back to which century?
5. Where was the slave trade centered in Great Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was the slave trade centered in England? How did blacks and whites communicate?
2. How have British and American accents diverged over time, according to the authors in Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!?
3. What is the source of inspiration for Irish literature? When did Irish culture rise to its high point?
4. When was English first introduced to India? What led to its development there?
5. How was Cockney stereotypically viewed in London? What governmental changes standardized it?
6. When did the Act of Union take place in Irish/English history? What effect did it have on English?
7. What effect did World War II have on the Cockney language? What other world events affected it?
8. What has led to the further development of English in the Far East?
9. What do the authors attribute to Ireland's unique inflections and word stresses in dialect?
10. What do the authors write of the Jamaican dialect in Chapter 9, The New Englishes?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)