|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who remain the most direct descendants of the Celts?
(a) The Scottish.
(b) The Welsh.
(c) The Irish.
(d) The Norwiegens.
2. Who brought the English language to Britain, according to Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue?
(b) Asian tribes.
(c) Germanic tribes.
(d) Roman tribes.
3. What is the first of the five points of Calvinism?
(a) Love of God.
(b) Release of sin.
(c) Total depravity.
4. What is one of the four provinces of Ireland, located in the north of the island?
5. How many novels has Robert MacNeil written, according to the Introduction?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what year were nearly half of the English literate, according to Chapter 3, A Muse of Fire?
2. What do the authors claim denote information about a speaker's life and career and explain community values?
3. Whose followers are known as Lollards, a somewhat rebellious movement, which preached anticlerical and biblically-centered reforms?
4. After World War II, which national economy sent multinational corporations across the world and into NATO and the UN?
5. Who wrote Treasure Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples do the authors give in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World for the history of success of the English language?
2. Who spread the English language to the west initially? Who are their descendants?
3. What managed to diminish the number of dialects in Great Britain?
4. What do the authors assert about the state of flux of the English language in the Introduction?
5. How do we know how the English language sounded hundreds of years ago? What do the authors relate about grammatical shifts in the Introduction?
6. What impact did the printing press and the scientific revolution have on the English language?
7. When did the Scottish dialect fall into decline? What led to its standardization?
8. What do the authors write of the New World and its influence on English in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue?
9. Samuel Johnson's dictionary had what impact on the Scottish dialect? What were Johnson's experiences in Scotland?
10. What became of the Germanic tribes described in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue? Where did they spread?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)