|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the leader of translation in the King James Bible?
2. When did James I lead a council of bishops and Puritan divines to create the King James Bible?
3. Who is the author of Ivanhoe?
(a) Robert Burns.
(b) Samuel Johnson.
(c) Andrew Webster.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
4. What is a simplified language that develops as a means of communication between two or more groups that do not have a language in common?
5. Who is the author of the novel Oscar and Lucinda?
(a) Danielle Steele.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Peter Carey.
(d) Jonathan Swift.
Short Answer Questions
1. The English language was formed through how many invasions?
2. Northern Germany, Denmark, and the Netherlands produced their own language tree that divided into what and German?
3. Who wrote The American Language?
4. By what year were nearly half of the English literate, according to Chapter 3, A Muse of Fire?
5. Approximately how many words are in the English language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What managed to diminish the number of dialects in Great Britain?
2. When did the Scottish dialect fall into decline? What led to its standardization?
3. When did Julius Caesar invade the Celts? What was the result?
4. Which group of Scots first spoke English? Where did it arrive from?
5. What is notable about the standardization of English throughout history? What examples do the authors give in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
6. What do the authors write of the New World and its influence on English in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue?
7. Who spread the English language to the west initially? Who are their descendants?
8. What did James I do to reduce the rule of Celtic chiefs in Ulster?
9. What do the authors write of the Puritans in Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue? Where were they located?
10. What impact did the printing press and the scientific revolution have on the English language?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)