|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Louisiana Purchase take place?
2. When did Jamaica regain complete independence?
3. Ulster is composed of how many counties?
4. When was Webster's Dictionary first published?
5. When did James Cook sail to Queensland?
6. What is the British spelling of the word "color"?
7. What American-originated word means an extraordinary or unusual thing, person, or event; an exceptional example or instance?
8. From what century onwards did England begin domination of Ireland?
9. How many blacks were in the United States when the Civil War began?
(a) 2 million.
(b) 3 million.
(c) 6 million.
(d) 4 million.
10. What is a term used for both dialects of English and English-based pidgins and creoles, and whose meaning depends considerably upon the context, and particularly the part of the world?
(a) Native English.
(b) Black English.
(c) Nonstandard English.
(d) Pidgin English.
11. What area of London was largely flattened in World War II?
(a) West End.
(b) North End.
(c) South End.
(d) East End.
12. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. assassinated?
13. How many copies of Webster's Dictionary sold during the author's lifetime?
14. What is the capital of Jamaica?
15. What is an honorific name given to those American Loyalists who resettled in British North America and other British Colonies as an act of fealty to King George III after the British defeat in the American Revolutionary War?
(a) Montreal Loyalist.
(b) Canadian Loyalist.
(c) British Loyalist.
(d) United Empire Loyalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to a process of conversion of verbal or written elements of any other language into a more comprehensible English form for an English speaker or to become English in form or character?
2. What author noted that Southern women often sounded like their black slaves?
3. The United States is how many times the size of the United Kingdom?
4. In what year did Jamaica become an English, and later a British, colony, known as "Jamaica"?
5. Newfoundland was founded in what year?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)