|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was first published in what year?
2. Initially what percentage of Australians were English convicts?
3. What term is also known as Irish English and is the dialect of English spoken in Ireland?
4. What was a common form of passing language down from one generation to the next in Irish culture?
(c) Written word.
(d) Shamanic rites.
5. The Act of Union in what year brought Ireland into the United Kingdom, and English administrators started to impose English on the people?
6. What is a term used for both dialects of English and English-based pidgins and creoles, and whose meaning depends considerably upon the context, and particularly the part of the world?
(a) Pidgin English.
(b) Native English.
(c) Black English.
(d) Nonstandard English.
7. What musical genre originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions?
8. What word refers to a process of conversion of verbal or written elements of any other language into a more comprehensible English form for an English speaker or to become English in form or character?
9. What term refers to African Americans who live in the Lowcountry region of South Carolina and Georgia, which includes both the coastal plain and the Sea Islands?
10. How many people in America claim to be of Irish descent today?
11. Ulster is composed of how many counties?
12. What British author of Gulliver's Travels is known for being a master of two styles of satire: the Horatian and Juvenalian styles?
(a) Jonathan Swift.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Samuel Johnson.
(d) Daniel Webster.
13. When did James Cook sail to Queensland?
14. In order to find early Black American English, one must travel to the American South, especially Charlestown and where?
(b) South Carolina.
15. Where was the slave trade centered in Great Britain?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Louisiana Purchase take place?
2. What term refers to a member of the dark-skinned people who were the earliest inhabitants of Australia?
3. What is an English-based creole of Sierra Leone, a first language of the residents of Freetown and its environs, and a lingua franca elsewhere in the country?
4. When did the First World War begin?
5. How many copies of Webster's Dictionary sold during the author's lifetime?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)