|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to a member of the dark-skinned people who were the earliest inhabitants of Australia?
2. What is the national language of Nigeria?
3. Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania speak what primary language?
4. Who wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) Samuel Johnson.
(b) James McDougal.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
5. What popular singer brought recognition to Jamaica?
(a) Desi Arnaz.
(b) Bob Marley.
(c) Lou Reed.
(d) Jimi Hendrix.
6. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. assassinated?
7. What is an English-based creole of Sierra Leone, a first language of the residents of Freetown and its environs, and a lingua franca elsewhere in the country?
8. What word that originated in the American West means a source of great and sudden wealth or luck; a spectacular windfall?
9. What British author of Gulliver's Travels is known for being a master of two styles of satire: the Horatian and Juvenalian styles?
(a) Jonathan Swift.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Samuel Johnson.
(d) Daniel Webster.
10. In what decade did a rebellious side of black liberation come together in New Orleans?
11. Slave ships that went to the Caribbean with the first slaves changed the language of the area entirely creating what variant?
(a) West Aftican Creole.
(b) Cajun English.
(c) Caribbean Creole.
(d) French Creole.
12. Daniel Webster was a leader in what political party?
13. How many people in America claim to be of Irish descent today?
14. What is a term used for both dialects of English and English-based pidgins and creoles, and whose meaning depends considerably upon the context, and particularly the part of the world?
(a) Nonstandard English.
(b) Black English.
(c) Native English.
(d) Pidgin English.
15. When was Webster's Dictionary first published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical genre originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions?
2. When did the Louisiana Purchase take place?
3. The denial of Afrikaans in South Africa sparked an explosive riot in what year?
4. The English language in Ireland is still _____ and non-standardized, according to Robert McCrum.
5. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was first published in what year?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)