|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an honorific name given to those American Loyalists who resettled in British North America and other British Colonies as an act of fealty to King George III after the British defeat in the American Revolutionary War?
(a) Canadian Loyalist.
(b) United Empire Loyalist.
(c) British Loyalist.
(d) Montreal Loyalist.
2. In what decade did Australian English come to be of interest in other English speaking countries?
3. Which variant was most likely the first pidgin English?
(c) West African.
4. What American-originated word means an extraordinary or unusual thing, person, or event; an exceptional example or instance?
5. Where was the slave trade centered in Great Britain?
6. In what year did Jamaica become an English, and later a British, colony, known as "Jamaica"?
7. The United States is how many times the size of the United Kingdom?
8. Abraham Lincoln was America's ___ President.
9. What ship did James Cook sail to Queensland?
(a) The East India Company.
(b) The Queen Mary.
(c) The Endeavor.
(d) The British General.
10. When did Queen Victoria take the British crown?
11. What language is associated with the Irish people?
12. What word that originated in the American West means a source of great and sudden wealth or luck; a spectacular windfall?
13. What was a common form of passing language down from one generation to the next in Irish culture?
(a) Shamanic rites.
(b) Written word.
14. How many Germans have emigrated to the United States since 1776?
(a) 2 million.
(b) 7 million.
(c) 14 million.
(d) 6 million.
15. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. assassinated?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania speak what primary language?
2. Daniel Webster was a leader in what political party?
3. Who was a central figure in the Uncle Remus stories of the Southern United States?
4. What is the capital of New Zealand?
5. Irish culture is a mixture of Celtic and what?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)