|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thomas Macaulay was born in what year?
2. What was the first English-speaking official colony in North America?
(b) New Amsterdam.
(c) New Deutchland.
(d) New York.
3. What American-originated word means to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate?
4. Irish culture is a mixture of Celtic and what?
(b) New World.
(d) East Indian.
5. Who wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) James McDougal.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Samuel Johnson.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
6. What language is associated with the Irish people?
7. How many Irish emigrated to the United States in the nineteenth century?
(a) 2 million.
(b) 6.1 million.
(c) 4.7 million.
(d) 3.5 million.
8. What author noted that Southern women often sounded like their black slaves?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Andrew Johnson.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Samuel Clemens.
9. What is an honorific name given to those American Loyalists who resettled in British North America and other British Colonies as an act of fealty to King George III after the British defeat in the American Revolutionary War?
(a) United Empire Loyalist.
(b) Montreal Loyalist.
(c) Canadian Loyalist.
(d) British Loyalist.
10. What ship did James Cook sail to Queensland?
(a) The British General.
(b) The East India Company.
(c) The Endeavor.
(d) The Queen Mary.
11. When did the American Civil War begin?
12. How many people in America claim to be of Irish descent today?
13. Where was the slave trade centered in Great Britain?
14. In what decade did Australian English come to be of interest in other English speaking countries?
15. What term refers to a member of the dark-skinned people who were the earliest inhabitants of Australia?
Short Answer Questions
1. The denial of Afrikaans in South Africa sparked an explosive riot in what year?
2. What word that originated in the American West means a source of great and sudden wealth or luck; a spectacular windfall?
3. When did the First World War begin?
4. In Cockney, the "w" is often exchanged for what sound?
5. How many Germans have emigrated to the United States since 1776?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)