|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand?
2. When did the Romans withdraw from Britain?
(a) 410 A.D.
(b) 520 A.D.
(c) 210 A.D.
(d) 110 A.D.
3. Who is the author of the novel Oscar and Lucinda?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Danielle Steele.
(c) Peter Carey.
(d) Jonathan Swift.
4. For what newspaper is Robert McCrum listed as Literary Editor in the Introduction?
(a) The San Francisco Chronicle.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The Observer.
5. When was Ivanhoe written?
6. Who is Scotland's most celebrated poet?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Robert Burns.
(c) Samuel Beckett.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
7. Robert McCrum writes in the Introduction, "Language, we know, is in ceaseless ____."
8. What is the Church of Scotland's more common name?
(a) The Catholic.
(b) The Anglican.
(c) The Scotch Catholic.
(d) The Kirk.
9. Global English is either British or what?
10. Which of the four ethnic groups that invaded Scotland during the Dark Ages united the kingdom?
(a) The Scotti.
(b) The Illiuni.
(c) The Finni.
(d) The Asti.
11. Which of the following words is attributed to Shakespeare's origination?
12. What is the first of the five points of Calvinism?
(b) Total depravity.
(c) Release of sin.
(d) Love of God.
13. RP was spoken by how much of the British population at the origination of BBC?
14. What is a simplified language that develops as a means of communication between two or more groups that do not have a language in common?
15. The people of what country have recently developed a fanatical desire to learn English, and English is vital in many developing countries, according to the author?
Short Answer Questions
1. What committee was formed to make decisions regarding standard English pronunciation for broadcasting in England?
2. When did James I die?
3. In what year did the English Reformation begin?
4. In Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue, the authors claim that the horse and the what spread the English language and caused its divergence?
5. What do the authors claim denote information about a speaker's life and career and explain community values?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)