|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was William Shakespeare born?
2. What is the traditional site of disembarkation of William Bradford and the Mayflower Pilgrims?
(b) Plymouth Rock.
(c) Nina Maria.
(d) Ellis Island.
3. Which of the following words is attributed to Shakespeare's origination?
4. Robert McCrum describes the modulation of British RP to what in the Introduction?
(a) North Country English.
(b) American English.
(c) Estuary English.
(d) Cockney English.
5. Julius Caesar and his armies conquered Britain when?
(a) 55 B.C.
(b) 34 B.C.
(c) 44 B.C.
(d) 100 B.C.
6. Who welcomed St. Augustine in England?
(a) King Aethelbert.
(b) King Ferdinand.
(c) King Skaronn.
(d) King Charles.
7. Johnson took on the established dictionaries of European language and decisively exceeded them through how many years of work?
8. What is considered the highest level of standardization of English, according to the authors in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
(a) Estuary English.
(b) Queen's English.
(c) Cockney English.
(d) Jamaican English.
9. What television entertainer does Robert McCrum claim is the lineal descendant of Amos and Andy?
(a) Eddie Murphy.
(b) Ali G.
(d) Dave Chapelle.
10. Approximately how many people speak English as their first language today?
(a) 800 million.
(b) 375 million.
(c) 654 million.
(d) 230 million.
11. After World War II, which national economy sent multinational corporations across the world and into NATO and the UN?
12. Which of the four ethnic groups that invaded Scotland during the Dark Ages united the kingdom?
(a) The Asti.
(b) The Finni.
(c) The Scotti.
(d) The Illiuni.
13. Johnson traveled through where at the dawn of the Enlightenment of Hume, Smith, Burns, and Telford?
(b) New York.
14. Who is quoted from his Preface to A Dictionary of the English Language in the Introduction?
(a) Dr. Samuel Johnson.
(b) Anderson Williams.
(c) Daniel Webster.
(d) William Cran.
15. The Puritans were most highly concentrated where?
(b) New Hampshire.
(d) East Anglia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many quotations were in the original Dictionary of the English Language?
2. Who initiated the English Reformation?
3. By what year were nearly half of the English literate, according to Chapter 3, A Muse of Fire?
4. Which novelist defined English language fanatics as "Snoots"?
5. Who is the author of Ivanhoe?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)