|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. RP was spoken by how much of the British population at the origination of BBC?
2. Old English has barely how many Celtic words?
3. English is the official language of how many countries?
4. What does "RP" stand for?
(a) Received Pronunciation.
(b) Recieved Phonetics.
(c) Royal Phonetics.
(d) Royal Pronunciation.
5. How many quotations were in the original Dictionary of the English Language?
6. The Scots of the Lowlands first spoke a form of English brought by the Angles of Northumbria mixed with four ethnic groups that invaded during what period?
(a) The Inquisition.
(b) The Restoration.
(c) The Dark Ages.
(d) The Rensaissance.
7. Who wrote The American Language?
(a) Daniel Webster.
(b) William Cran.
(c) H.L. Mencken.
(d) Dr. Samuel Johnson.
8. Who is the author of Ivanhoe?
(a) Samuel Johnson.
(b) Andrew Webster.
(c) Robert Burns.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
9. The Anglo-Saxon language received a major boost when Christianity brought an enormous Latin vocabulary starting in what year?
(a) 283 B.C.
(b) 597 A.D.
(c) 238 A.D.
(d) 359 A.D.
10. Approximately how many people speak English as their first language today?
(a) 230 million.
(b) 800 million.
(c) 654 million.
(d) 375 million.
11. The number of books in England did what after the invention of the printing press?
12. What style of music was the invention of the Scots-Irish?
13. Where was Shakespeare born and raised?
14. What is the Church of Scotland's more common name?
(a) The Kirk.
(b) The Anglican.
(c) The Catholic.
(d) The Scotch Catholic.
15. Whose followers are known as Lollards, a somewhat rebellious movement, which preached anticlerical and biblically-centered reforms?
(a) Daniel Webster's.
(b) Samuel Johnson's.
(c) James Calvin's.
(d) John Wycliffe's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great-grandfather of rap does Robert McCrum write is largely forgotten?
2. Who is the author of the novel Oscar and Lucinda?
3. Who is listed as the Executive Producer of the television series The Story of English?
4. What is considered the highest level of standardization of English, according to the authors in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
5. When was the original edition of The Story of English published?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)