|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue, Next Year's Words.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Linguists know that languages spoken by around how much of humanity came from a common Indo-European source?
(a) One fourth.
(b) One fifth.
(c) One half.
(d) One third.
2. What American-originated word means to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate?
3. From what century onwards did England begin domination of Ireland?
4. What television entertainer does Robert McCrum claim is the lineal descendant of Amos and Andy?
(a) Eddie Murphy.
(b) Dave Chapelle.
(d) Ali G.
5. When did the American Revolutionary War begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What popular singer brought recognition to Jamaica?
2. Who wrote The American Language?
3. When did Robert MacNeil retire, according to his bio in the Introduction?
4. What is a term used for both dialects of English and English-based pidgins and creoles, and whose meaning depends considerably upon the context, and particularly the part of the world?
5. When did Queen Victoria take the British crown?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)