|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Echoes of an English Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first Dictionary of the English Language contained over how many definitions?
2. When was William Shakespeare born?
3. What is another word for Old English?
(a) Medieval English.
4. The Renaissance added over how many words to the English language?
5. What is a term used for both dialects of English and English-based pidgins and creoles, and whose meaning depends considerably upon the context, and particularly the part of the world?
(a) Nonstandard English.
(b) Black English.
(c) Native English.
(d) Pidgin English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people spoke English in Shakespeare's time?
2. Johnson took on the established dictionaries of European language and decisively exceeded them through how many years of work?
3. The Puritans were most highly concentrated where?
4. Scots is one of the oldest and most interesting varieties of English dating back to which centuries?
5. When did the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes sail from Denmark and the German Coast into Britain?
This section contains 179 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)