|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Linguists know that languages spoken by around how much of humanity came from a common Indo-European source?
(a) One fourth.
(b) One third.
(c) One fifth.
(d) One half.
2. What is the Church of Scotland's more common name?
(a) The Anglican.
(b) The Kirk.
(c) The Scotch Catholic.
(d) The Catholic.
3. How many people spoke English in Shakespeare's time?
(a) 5-7 million.
(b) 10-15 million.
(c) 3-4 million.
(d) 8-10 million.
4. What language did the Celts speak?
5. Who was a central figure in the Uncle Remus stories of the Southern United States?
(a) Butler Johnson.
(b) Brer Rabbit.
(c) Johnny Appleseed.
(d) Pecan Pete.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what year were nearly half of the English literate, according to Chapter 3, A Muse of Fire?
2. What was the first English-speaking official colony in North America?
3. Which of the following words is attributed to Shakespeare's origination?
4. The establishment of what was an important moment for English as word choices had to be made for standard broadcasting?
5. What is another word for Old English?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)