|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Pioneers! O Pioneers!.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What committee was formed to make decisions regarding standard English pronunciation for broadcasting in England?
2. The Scots of the Lowlands first spoke a form of English brought by the Angles of Northumbria mixed with four ethnic groups that invaded during what period?
(a) The Dark Ages.
(b) The Rensaissance.
(c) The Inquisition.
(d) The Restoration.
3. Which of the four ethnic groups that invaded Scotland during the Dark Ages united the kingdom?
(a) The Scotti.
(b) The Illiuni.
(c) The Asti.
(d) The Finni.
4. When was the original edition of The Story of English published?
5. What American-originated word means to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate?
Short Answer Questions
1. RP was spoken by how much of the British population at the origination of BBC?
2. By the turn of which century had English all but died out in Ireland?
3. What NASA space probe was launched during the original writing of The Story of English (Edition One)?
4. The English language was formed through how many invasions?
5. The people of what country have recently developed a fanatical desire to learn English, and English is vital in many developing countries, according to the author?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)