|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Guid Scots Tongue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Treasure Island?
(a) Robert Burns.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(c) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
2. When was the Education Act passed in the United Kingdom?
3. What Latin-speaking philosopher and theologian was a major figure in the development of Western Christianity?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) St. Mark.
(c) St. Patrick.
(d) St. Augustine.
4. The first Dictionary of the English Language contained over how many definitions?
5. Whose followers are known as Lollards, a somewhat rebellious movement, which preached anticlerical and biblically-centered reforms?
(a) James Calvin's.
(b) John Wycliffe's.
(c) Daniel Webster's.
(d) Samuel Johnson's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great-grandfather of rap does Robert McCrum write is largely forgotten?
2. Who wrote The American Language?
3. Who initiated the English Reformation?
4. When was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand?
5. What is the name of the dialect generally associated with the British working class?
This section contains 159 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)