|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, A Muse of Fire.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Renaissance added over how many words to the English language?
2. What is a simplified language that develops as a means of communication between two or more groups that do not have a language in common?
3. The Story of English was created alongside a nine-part television series for what network?
4. Which novelist defined English language fanatics as "Snoots"?
(a) Jonathan Swift.
(b) James Alexander Wallace.
(c) David Foster Wallace.
(d) Mark Twain.
5. The English language was formed through how many invasions?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people spoke English in Shakespeare's time?
2. By what year were nearly half of the English literate, according to Chapter 3, A Muse of Fire?
3. When was William Shakespeare born?
4. Robert McCrum writes in the Introduction, "Language, we know, is in ceaseless ____."
5. Who is listed as the Executive Producer of the television series The Story of English?
This section contains 162 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)