|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the early Germanic tribes lived in Northern Germany?
2. Robert McCrum writes in the Introduction, "Language, we know, is in ceaseless ____."
3. Julius Caesar and his armies conquered Britain when?
(a) 55 B.C.
(b) 44 B.C.
(c) 34 B.C.
(d) 100 B.C.
4. The Story of English was created alongside a nine-part television series for what network?
5. What committee was formed to make decisions regarding standard English pronunciation for broadcasting in England?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Anglo-Saxon language received a major boost when Christianity brought an enormous Latin vocabulary starting in what year?
2. Who is the author of the novel Oscar and Lucinda?
3. What language did the Celts speak?
4. The establishment of what was an important moment for English as word choices had to be made for standard broadcasting?
5. Approximately how many people speak English as their first language today?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)