|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which novelist defined English language fanatics as "Snoots"?
(a) James Alexander Wallace.
(b) David Foster Wallace.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Jonathan Swift.
2. RP was spoken by how much of the British population at the origination of BBC?
3. Robert McCrum writes in the Introduction, "Language, we know, is in ceaseless ____."
4. What threatened Britain's Celtic chiefs after the withdrawal of the Romans?
(a) Christian warriors.
(b) Islamic tribes.
(c) Greek tribes.
(d) Germanic tribes.
5. Who welcomed St. Augustine in England?
(a) King Charles.
(b) King Skaronn.
(c) King Ferdinand.
(d) King Aethelbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Robert MacNeil retire, according to his bio in the Introduction?
2. After World War II, which national economy sent multinational corporations across the world and into NATO and the UN?
3. Robert McCrum describes the modulation of British RP to what in the Introduction?
4. Northern Germany, Denmark, and the Netherlands produced their own language tree that divided into what and German?
5. What is considered the highest level of standardization of English, according to the authors in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)