|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the Archduke Ferdinand assassinated?
(c) New York.
2. After World War II, which national economy sent multinational corporations across the world and into NATO and the UN?
3. Global English is either British or what?
4. What is considered the highest level of standardization of English, according to the authors in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
(a) Jamaican English.
(b) Estuary English.
(c) Queen's English.
(d) Cockney English.
5. Approximately how many words are in the English language?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the novel Oscar and Lucinda?
2. The people of what country have recently developed a fanatical desire to learn English, and English is vital in many developing countries, according to the author?
3. Robert McCrum describes the modulation of British RP to what in the Introduction?
4. When was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand?
5. When did Robert MacNeil retire, according to his bio in the Introduction?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)