|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how many people speak English as their first language today?
(a) 654 million.
(b) 800 million.
(c) 230 million.
(d) 375 million.
2. What does "RP" stand for?
(a) Royal Phonetics.
(b) Received Pronunciation.
(c) Royal Pronunciation.
(d) Recieved Phonetics.
3. How many people spoke English in Shakespeare's time?
(a) 5-7 million.
(b) 10-15 million.
(c) 8-10 million.
(d) 3-4 million.
4. Who wrote The American Language?
(a) Dr. Samuel Johnson.
(b) Daniel Webster.
(c) H.L. Mencken.
(d) William Cran.
5. Who is the author of the novel Oscar and Lucinda?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Peter Carey.
(c) Danielle Steele.
(d) Jonathan Swift.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the original edition of The Story of English published?
2. After World War II, which national economy sent multinational corporations across the world and into NATO and the UN?
3. The people of what country have recently developed a fanatical desire to learn English, and English is vital in many developing countries, according to the author?
4. Which novelist defined English language fanatics as "Snoots"?
5. What television entertainer does Robert McCrum claim is the lineal descendant of Amos and Andy?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)