|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the original edition of The Story of English published?
2. Robert McCrum was Editor-in-Chief of what publishing house from 1979-1996?
(a) Faber and Faber.
(b) Simon and Schuster.
(c) Fitzgerald and Fitzgerald.
3. How many novels has Robert MacNeil written, according to the Introduction?
4. When was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand?
5. When was the Education Act passed in the United Kingdom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What great-grandfather of rap does Robert McCrum write is largely forgotten?
2. The Story of English was created alongside a nine-part television series for what network?
3. What is considered the highest level of standardization of English, according to the authors in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
4. What is another word for Old English?
5. After World War II, which national economy sent multinational corporations across the world and into NATO and the UN?
This section contains 158 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)