|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, The New Englishes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The authors assert in Chapter 6, Black on White, that the black pidgins clearly date back to which century?
2. Where was the slave trade centered in Great Britain?
3. Old English has barely how many Celtic words?
4. James VI of Scotland became James I of England in what year?
5. The establishment of what was an important moment for English as word choices had to be made for standard broadcasting?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a common form of passing language down from one generation to the next in Irish culture?
2. Which name prefix did the Scots originate?
3. Linguists know that languages spoken by around how much of humanity came from a common Indo-European source?
4. What ship did James Cook sail to Queensland?
5. When did the Romans withdraw from Britain?
This section contains 174 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)