|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, A Muse of Fire.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brought the English language to Britain, according to Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue?
(a) Roman tribes.
(b) Germanic tribes.
(d) Asian tribes.
2. The Story of English was created alongside a nine-part television series for what network?
3. What is considered the highest level of standardization of English, according to the authors in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
(a) Cockney English.
(b) Estuary English.
(c) Queen's English.
(d) Jamaican English.
4. What television entertainer does Robert McCrum claim is the lineal descendant of Amos and Andy?
(a) Ali G.
(c) Eddie Murphy.
(d) Dave Chapelle.
5. The Anglo-Saxon language received a major boost when Christianity brought an enormous Latin vocabulary starting in what year?
(a) 597 A.D.
(b) 359 A.D.
(c) 238 A.D.
(d) 283 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people of what country have recently developed a fanatical desire to learn English, and English is vital in many developing countries, according to the author?
2. The Renaissance added over how many words to the English language?
3. When did the Romans withdraw from Britain?
4. The Puritans were most highly concentrated where?
5. Which of the early Germanic tribes had speech that was Germanic and they lived Denmark?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)