|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Black on White.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Latin-speaking philosopher and theologian was a major figure in the development of Western Christianity?
(a) St. Augustine.
(b) St. Patrick.
(c) St. Mark.
(d) St. Peter.
2. When did the American Civil War begin?
3. When was the Education Act passed in the United Kingdom?
4. Which name prefix did the Scots originate?
5. What is a term used for both dialects of English and English-based pidgins and creoles, and whose meaning depends considerably upon the context, and particularly the part of the world?
(a) Black English.
(b) Pidgin English.
(c) Native English.
(d) Nonstandard English.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people of what country have recently developed a fanatical desire to learn English, and English is vital in many developing countries, according to the author?
2. Which variant was most likely the first pidgin English?
3. What committee was formed to make decisions regarding standard English pronunciation for broadcasting in England?
4. Scots is one of the oldest and most interesting varieties of English dating back to which centuries?
5. When did James I lead a council of bishops and Puritan divines to create the King James Bible?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)