|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Black on White.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Johnson took on the established dictionaries of European language and decisively exceeded them through how many years of work?
2. The authors assert in Chapter 6, Black on White, that the black pidgins clearly date back to which century?
3. Julius Caesar and his armies conquered Britain when?
(a) 44 B.C.
(b) 100 B.C.
(c) 55 B.C.
(d) 34 B.C.
4. When did the First World War begin?
5. What is a simplified language that develops as a means of communication between two or more groups that do not have a language in common?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered the highest level of standardization of English, according to the authors in Chapter 1, An English-Speaking World?
2. When was William Shakespeare born?
3. Which of the four ethnic groups that invaded Scotland during the Dark Ages united the kingdom?
4. What was the first successful English settlement on the mainland of North America?
5. Which of the following words is attributed to Shakespeare's origination?
This section contains 183 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)