|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Echoes of an English Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language is associated with the Irish people?
2. The Act of Union in what year brought Ireland into the United Kingdom, and English administrators started to impose English on the people?
3. When did James Cook sail to Queensland?
4. What term is also known as Irish English and is the dialect of English spoken in Ireland?
5. Who were among the first English-speaking migrants to the west and their descendants live in Cornwall, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Brittany?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Celts.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what century onwards did England begin domination of Ireland?
2. What area of London was largely flattened in World War II?
3. When did Queen Victoria take the British crown?
4. In Cockney, the "w" is often exchanged for what sound?
5. What threatened Britain's Celtic chiefs after the withdrawal of the Romans?
This section contains 166 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)