|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Echoes of an English Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What British author of Gulliver's Travels is known for being a master of two styles of satire: the Horatian and Juvenalian styles?
(a) Daniel Webster.
(b) Jonathan Swift.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Samuel Johnson.
2. The culture of Ireland rose to a high point in what century?
3. Who were among the first English-speaking migrants to the west and their descendants live in Cornwall, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Brittany?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The Celts.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The Romans.
4. Old English has barely how many Celtic words?
5. In Chapter 2, The Mother Tongue, the authors claim that the horse and the what spread the English language and caused its divergence?
Short Answer Questions
1. Northern Germany, Denmark, and the Netherlands produced their own language tree that divided into what and German?
2. The Anglo-Saxon language received a major boost when Christianity brought an enormous Latin vocabulary starting in what year?
3. From what century onwards did England begin domination of Ireland?
4. The English conquered and warred with the Irish for over how many years?
5. In what decade did Australian English come to be of interest in other English speaking countries?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)