|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Echoes of an English Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what decade did Australian English come to be of interest in other English speaking countries?
2. The Anglo-Saxon language received a major boost when Christianity brought an enormous Latin vocabulary starting in what year?
(a) 597 A.D.
(b) 238 A.D.
(c) 283 B.C.
(d) 359 A.D.
3. When did James Cook sail to Queensland?
4. What language did the Celts speak?
5. What term refers to a member of the dark-skinned people who were the earliest inhabitants of Australia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term is also known as Irish English and is the dialect of English spoken in Ireland?
2. Old English has barely how many Celtic words?
3. What island nation situated in the western area of the North Atlantic Ocean and east of the Windward Islands and the Caribbean Sea has an Irish community today?
4. What dialect is associated with the lower classes in England?
5. What word carried over from Cockney to Australian English?
This section contains 174 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)